PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Nonproficiency with Shield question.

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-02, 11:47 AM
To wear a shield, you need proficiency with the type of shield (Light, heavy or exotic)

Some classes give proficiency but specify that shields are out for that class...

When reading the entry for armor proficiency (light, medium, heavy) the conditions for using armor or shields without this feat/ability are:

"A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride."

Now, Heres a good question... If I were to remove the armor check penalty. Say, for example, a Heavy shield (-2 ACP) with the mithral quality (lessens ACP by 3) It would be an effective ACP of 0

Would this allow me to wield a steel shield without any penalties whatsoever while not having the proficiency to use one?

What about the Animated enchantment? Would it still require me to have proficiency?

ComaVision
2014-12-02, 12:00 PM
That's how I understand it. No ACP = may as well be proficient.

An animated shield doesn't lessen the ACP though, so you'd still need to make it mithral (or something) there.

heavyfuel
2014-12-02, 12:18 PM
You would be able to wear the shield without any penalty due to lack of profciciency (you'd still incur in unrelated penalties such ASF), but you are not proficient with it. You couldn't, for instance, qualify for Shield Specialization or chaos shuffle them to get something else.

D4rkh0rus
2014-12-02, 12:36 PM
You would be able to wear the shield without any penalty due to lack of profciciency (you'd still incur in unrelated penalties such ASF), but you are not proficient with it. You couldn't, for instance, qualify for Shield Specialization or chaos shuffle them to get something else.

Well, I dont plan to focus on the shield, Its basically supposed to function as a Fancy Sheathe for a rather heavy weapon. and maybe get some bonus AC...