PDA

View Full Version : Rogue and Weapon Master Feat

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 12:13 PM
What weapons should I choose for a Variant Human rogue taking weapon master at lvl 1?

So far I'm thinking Whip, Longbow, Heavy Crossbow and I don't know. Lance maybe?

odigity
2014-12-02, 01:05 PM
What weapons should I choose for a Variant Human rogue taking weapon master at lvl 1?

So far I'm thinking Whip, Longbow, Heavy Crossbow and I don't know. Lance maybe?

Don't do that. It's not worth a feat.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 01:10 PM

Noted, but not really what I asked. Besides, who doesn't want to sneak-whip mooks to death?

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1267970/jeff-s-towel-snapping-jordan-o.gif

Alejandro
2014-12-02, 01:12 PM
What do you want the character to do? If you aren't going to be riding a horse into battle, for example, the lance may see less use.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 01:21 PM
Well, with the whip it means I don't need to use cunning action to disengage, and later I can take dual wielder to double the whip action. Longbows and crossbows are obvious choices. The lance is because I couldn't think of anything better. Mounted on a horse I'd likely be doing the Mongol horse archer thing. Net maybe for a fourth choice?

Edit: And since it's a half-feat, I can get a 16, 16, 14, 10, 10, 8 with Variant human, which is a decent setup to go arcane trickster.

odigity
2014-12-02, 01:36 PM
What do you want the character to do? If you aren't going to be riding a horse into battle, for example, the lance may see less use.

That was the implicit second part of my first post. :)

You just said "I'm taking Rogue and this feat" without giving a reason as to why. Lacking a reason, I gave the most valuable and relevant advice I could - don't. It's not worth it.

Now, if you had a specific goal in mind that perhaps makes it worth it...

Well, with the whip it means I don't need to use cunning action to disengage...

Yes, using whip's reach to save your bonus action for something other than disengage is the best reason I've come up with so far to take it on a Dex build (Str build should obviously use a real polearm).

...and later I can take dual wielder to double the whip action.

Double for you, since Rogue doesn't get Extra Attack. Wouldn't double anyone that dips 5+ lvls in a full melee class, but I'm guessing you're not planning to do that, or you'd get your weapon proficiencies from that class instead of this feat...

Felvion
2014-12-02, 01:45 PM
That was my initial reaction too, but obviously it's not totally worthless.

It could make sense in case of an odd dex/str. Additionally there are builds that can't spare a level into multiclass in order to get some proficiencies like armor or really thematic weapons (which seems to be the case here with whip).

As for the 4rth weapon, since there is no "obvious" choice i'd ask my dm for firearms. Being the cool guy with the whip is nice. A pistol would lift you beyond the limits of coolness!:smallcool:

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 02:26 PM
I suppose if I started as fighter for only a single level, I could take Resilience (Dex) instead and be a bit hardier, having one good save (DEX), an okay save (CON), two mediocre saves (INT, STR) and two terrible saves. I tend to lean towards more purist builds though. My sneak attack damage would always be a level behind, and hardiness is less useful when the build itself is made to avoid the front lines in the first place.

FaerieGodfather
2014-12-02, 02:36 PM
I suppose if I started as fighter for only a single level, I could take Resilience (Dex) instead and be a bit hardier, having one good save (DEX), an okay save (CON), two mediocre saves (INT, STR) and two terrible saves. I tend to lean towards more purist builds though. My sneak attack damage would always be a level behind, and hardiness is less useful when the build itself is made to avoid the front lines in the first place.

Where are you getting the INT save from? Multiclassing doesn't grant save proficiencies.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-02, 02:39 PM
Where are you getting the INT save from? Multiclassing doesn't grant save proficiencies.

No proficiency, just from having high INT. It works to be about the same as the STR save since I'd be dumping that stat. Higher at first even, then later falling behind unless I decide to max it after maxing DEX

Easy_Lee
2014-12-02, 02:43 PM
Don't choose lance because you can't sneak attack with it. You don't get extra attack, so heavy crossbow and whip are best. As stated, there are better choices for a feat.

One level of fighter would get you a fighting style, which might be a worthwhile investment. I'm hesitant to suggest multiclassing because it slows your progression and limits your rogueliness

D.U.P.A.
2014-12-02, 02:44 PM
Scimitars. Only non piercing finesse weapon which can be dual wielded. Finally not useless against skeletons.

Easy_Lee
2014-12-02, 03:09 PM
Scimitars. Only non piercing finesse weapon which can be dual wielded. Finally not useless against skeletons.

How many monsters have resistance to piercing but not slashing?

D.U.P.A.
2014-12-02, 07:21 PM
If there gonna be plenty of skellies ahead, it may prove useful. Furthermore, there may be other objects, where piercing isn't effective.

Longbow is not needed, just play elf then.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-03, 11:27 AM
If only the Sentinel feat wasn't limited to 5' reach, I could really make this build sing!