PDA

View Full Version : Flying creature falling by damage

FdL
2007-03-26, 01:50 PM
Yesterday a couple of my players cited a rule that said that when a flying creature is dropped to below half of its HP, it cannot fly and falls, or something similar. I didn't remember ever reading anything like that, so I told them to look it up and show it to me (which they couldn't then).

Is this a rule, does it have any basis in reality or it's just one of those annoyning confusions that happen often in D&D sessions?

FYI the monster was a dragon :p

Gamebird
2007-03-26, 01:55 PM
I don't remember such a rule. Though there is one about flying creatures and encumberance - they can't carry more than a Light load and still fly.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-26, 01:56 PM
Such a rule exists!!!

But unless you are playing AD&D I would not worry too much about it, since it was not implemented in 3.0+.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 01:58 PM
Carryover from 2.0. That rule doesn't exist anymore.

FdL
2007-03-26, 01:59 PM
Playing D&D 3.5 here :) Glad to hear that :D Makes a lot of sense because my players used to play 2nd Edition a lot.

NullAshton
2007-03-26, 02:01 PM
Slightly related... what happens if a flying creature hits an invisible wall of force?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-26, 02:03 PM
It stops flying in that direction abruptly.

FujinAkari
2007-03-26, 02:04 PM
He says ouch.

Gamebird
2007-03-26, 02:18 PM
Slightly related... what happens if a flying creature hits an invisible wall of force?

See the flying creature's manueverability rating and make sure it moved enough to stay aloft. If not, it falls and takes damage from falling. Otherwise, it stops moving forward and takes no damage by RAW, but I wouldn't be surprised for a DM to rule differently, since running into a wall sounds painful.

Black Hand
2007-03-26, 04:09 PM
I remember the 2E rule, and it shouldn't be too hard to implement in a 3.x environment.

The old way:
If a creature with a natural flying ability has less than 50% of it's hit points it has to land. It doesn't fall, but does decend at a controlled non-lethal rate. Flying after that can only be done with the gliding rules.

You could set it up differently for 3E by it losing manoeverability and flying class when brought under 50%, and when under 25% it degrades again, and the creature has to decend and only glide.