PDA

View Full Version : Incantatrix QUESTION !!!!

True believer
2014-12-02, 01:16 PM
Hello members , i have a question about Incantatrix !!!!! I have read a lot of posts mentioning the notorious 3th level ability of this prestige class so i decided to look it up, when i did that i found this:

Metamagic Effect (Su): At 3rd level, an incantatrix can attempt
to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to a persistent spell effect
that is already in place. For example, she could use Extend Spell
to extend the duration of a wall of force or Maximize Spell to
maximize the damage dealt by a cloudkill.

The description mentions that you can ONLY use that ability into a persistent spell effect !! that means that any handbook, thread out there focusing in the combo: Persistent Spell feat+metamagic effect ability is wrong ??????

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-02, 01:18 PM
No, that simply means a spell effect already in place that has a duration as in the dictionary definition, "continuing to exist or endure over a prolonged period."

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 11:55 AM
It refers to all spells with a noninstantaneous duration.

Necroticplague
2014-12-03, 12:08 PM
Hello members , i have a question about Incantatrix !!!!! I have read a lot of posts mentioning the notorious 3th level ability of this prestige class so i decided to look it up, when i did that i found this:

Metamagic Effect (Su): At 3rd level, an incantatrix can attempt
to apply a metamagic feat she possesses to a persistent spell effect
that is already in place. For example, she could use Extend Spell
to extend the duration of a wall of force or Maximize Spell to
maximize the damage dealt by a cloudkill.

The description mentions that you can ONLY use that ability into a persistent spell effect !! that means that any handbook, thread out there focusing in the combo: Persistent Spell feat+metamagic effect ability is wrong ??????

Minor nitpick that off topic: Extra punctuation does nothing but make you appear of low intelligence. Same goes for the repeated inability to capitalize "I" correctly. There's no reason for any of those exclamation points to be there.

Now, to get to your actual question: It does not mean 'persistent' as in 'already has the Persistent Spell metamagic applied to it'. In fact, this ability doesn't interact with spells at all, just their effects (I.E, the thing that hangs around after you cast a spell). So that part just indicates you can't say, maximize a fireball for free (because it doesn't have an effect line), but you can turn an incendiary cloud acidic via energy substitution (since it has an effect, and it sticks around for a non-instantaneous amount of time). So you can only modify the results of spells that have an effect line and last longer than instantaneous. Extending a summon monster is fine (effect:one or more monsters), but not a time stop (no "effect:" line).