View Full Version : If You Could Have ALL the Skills

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-02, 01:20 PM
Half-Elf - 2 skill proficiencies of your choice
Bard - 3 skill proficiencies of your choice
College of Lore - 3 skill proficiencies, of your choice
Skilled feat - 3 skill proficiencies of your choice
Background - 2 still proficiencies from a varied list

There are 18 skills in the game and with one feat this character has proficiency in 13 of them. And thanks to Jack of All Trades he has half proficiency in the rest.

So I have no idea what the DCs for these skill checks are, (guess that's in the DMG?) but if you were picking and choosing, which skills would you get and which would you Expertise?

Valefor Rathan
2014-12-02, 01:33 PM

...this is beautiful and mildly terrifying all at once...

Depending on your stats you really would be the core of the group...

EDIT/ASIDE - I see that you too have benefited from Chd :smallwink:

Daishain
2014-12-02, 01:33 PM
That partly depends on what the character is made to do and the campaign they're in.

Most common skills I've seen people wishing they have a higher bonus on in game (in no particular order): Athletics, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Insight, Deception, Stealth, and Perception.

odigity
2014-12-02, 01:44 PM
Most common skills I've seen people wishing they have a higher bonus on in game (in no particular order): Athletics, Acrobatics, Persuasion, Insight, Deception, Stealth, and Perception.

Athletics is a sore spot for me right now. I have a Half-Elf Urchin Warlock 1 / Monk 2 who took:
- Acrobatics
- Deception
- Intimidation
- Perception
- Sleight of Hand
- Stealth

On top of:
Str: 10
Dex: 16
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 14
Cha: 14

As a Monk, I feel I should be awesome at physical actions in general, but every time I need to climb... almost wish I had swapped Sleight of Hand or Intimidation for Athletics. I didn't because the Acrobatics can also be used for escaping Grapple, which makes that part of Athletics redundant, and Monk's get natural Jump bonuses, so that just left Climb/Swim. But it sure is embarassing when your Monk can't climb a friggin rope.

Galen
2014-12-02, 01:46 PM
Half-Elf - 2 skill proficiencies of your choice
Bard - 3 skill proficiencies of your choice
College of Lore - 3 skill proficiencies, of your choice
Skilled feat - 3 skill proficiencies of your choice
Background - 2 still proficiencies from a varied list

There are 18 skills in the game and with one feat this character has proficiency in 13 of them. And thanks to Jack of All Trades he has half proficiency in the rest.
Half-Elf Rogue 1/Bard 4/Ranger 1 Folk Hero background, with the Skilled feat, has 16 skills plus Thieving Tools and Artisan's Tools, plus Land Vehicles. It doesn't get any more skilled than that.

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-02, 01:58 PM
And three instruments!

Pramxnim
2014-12-02, 02:04 PM
Half-Elf Rogue 1/Knowledge Cleric 1/ Ranger 1/ College of Lore Bard 4 with the Skilled feat has all 18 skill proficiencies (if any of your granted skill proficiencies overlap you may gain proficiency in any other skill, do you don't have to be careful in what proficiencies you gain) and Expertise in 6 of them (2 of which must be Knowledge skills).

Alternatively, replace Half-elf with Variant Human / Elf / Half-Orc and replace Ranger with / levels of Warlock and you can also gain access to all skills.

Anyone can be proficient at all 18 skills, it just takes a lot of effort for the character to be really viable in a normal campaign.

odigity
2014-12-02, 02:05 PM
Half-Elf Rogue 1/Bard 4/Ranger 1 Folk Hero background, with the Skilled feat, has 16 skills plus Thieving Tools and Artisan's Tools, plus Land Vehicles. It doesn't get any more skilled than that.

So... the question is which two skills DON'T you take? :)

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-02, 02:16 PM
Yes but a single classed lore bard gets most of the skills without really sacrificing usefulness. Inspiration, Cutting Word, and fireball for damage, lore bards do everything you want (cure wounds too!)

Inevitability
2014-12-02, 03:28 PM

I'd skip History and Medicine. One is a 'knowledge skill' that is far less useful than the others, and another stops being relevant with a few low-level spells and a healer's kit.

NeoSeraphi
2014-12-02, 03:40 PM
But History seems like the quintessentially bard skill, especially a "College of Lore" bard. :smallfrown:

Let's see...for me, in my build, I'd skip Animal Handling, Medicine, Athletics, Survival, and Intimidation.

saintstardust
2014-12-03, 12:14 AM

Probably skip Performance, since you already have proficiency in musical instruments.

MinaBee
2014-12-04, 11:44 AM
I'd skip History and Medicine. One is a 'knowledge skill' that is far less useful than the others, and another stops being relevant with a few low-level spells and a healer's kit.
True, history and medicine rolls don’t come up often, but it is a good idea to have at least one party member who is proficient in either of those.

History checks often hide setting lore or a bit of useful information that often isn’t accessible through any other lore skill.

Medicine is crap for combat utility, but medicine is important for diagnosis and long term care. All the magical healing in plane won’t help you determine how many assassins there were by examining the stab wounds on the body.

DM's will rarely call for Medicine checks. You have to create your own opportunities to use it through roleplaying.

Probably skip Performance, since you already have proficiency in musical instruments.
I’ve heard it said that Musical Instrument proficiency is all about technical skill, and Performance proficiency is all about knowing how to entertain a crowd and hold their attention.

Talderas
2014-12-04, 02:38 PM
Yes but a single classed lore bard gets most of the skills without really sacrificing usefulness. Inspiration, Cutting Word, and fireball for damage, lore bards do everything you want (cure wounds too!)

I'm playing a lv5 Half-Elf Lore Bard right now. So I have 10 skill proficiencies. I prefer not to cast cure wounds (its not even a spell I know!) and instead mitigate damage through vicious mockery or cutting words. I have a very good toolbox to prevent my party from taking damage by being a jerk. We're pretty liberal about our usage of short rests so Song of Rest gets a good workout.

I believe the 10 skills I've taken for profiency are Acrobatics, Stealth, Arcana, History, Investigation, Insight, Perception, Deception, Performance, and Persuasion. If I were to pick up Skilled I would add Sleight of Hand and Intimidation with either Acrobatics as the most likely third with Religion being a bit behind.