PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Getting Back Into The Game

Demons_eye
2014-12-02, 02:26 PM
Hello, I haven't played 3.5 in what seems like years, currently playing ACKS for at least the last 2. I've been roped into DM for two new people to DnD and role playing in general. My problem comes from the group I'm normally use to Dming for. This will be nothing like it and I've never Dmed for new people before. I know I am going to make a lot of assumptions about how they will react "Zombie! run!" and what they should know, "Zombie bites don't infect people?"

My question is how can I get into the mind set. What should I remember and what should I tell them? How can I make it easier on all three of us? How should I help them make their characters, should I limit books? Any advice is welcome.

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 11:52 AM
Read through your 3.5 books again, review character sheets, refamiliarize yourself, and most of all, be prepared to be surprised, by yours or other players' actions. The mindset will come on its own, over time.

Antipode
2014-12-03, 12:51 PM
I got back into a groove after a long break by reading stories online and reviewing the PHB/DMG and Complete series of works. It worked pretty well for me.