PDA

View Full Version : Player Help concentration and archery?

djwood
2014-12-02, 03:35 PM
Hello friends !

I'm Djwood and I have a question for you all! can the competence concentration work for archers too? like lets say I take 3 rounds to concentrate on hitting the left leg would it work ? if so what would concentration do? bonus damage? if you can just explain in detail that would be great! thank you very much and have a great day! :)

PEACE!!!

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-02, 03:53 PM
Nothing in RAW. Since archers need a bone thrown to them in 3.5, though, I'd suggest adding a feat that lets you make a concentration check for precision damage with a bow, sling, or crossbow (maybe only on first attack, but that nerfs it enough to not be worthwhile), with DC 10 granting +1d6, DC 15 +2d6, and every further +5 to the DC adds another d6 of bonus damage.

Either that, or only apply it to the first attack in a round, but don't require a feat for it.

Rubik
2014-12-02, 04:48 PM
As you're new here, I'm going to (quite likely) stick my foot in my mouth and explain something you probably already know.

"RAW" means "Rules As Written." It's basically what the rules say, rather than things like "RACSD" ("Rules As Common Sense Dictates") or "RAI" ("Rules As Intended," ie, "what we think they meant"). RAW often doesn't follow what the other two say they should, but it's pretty much all that we have with absolute certainty, in most cases.

Urpriest
2014-12-02, 04:51 PM
Also, the English translation of what you are calling a "competence" is "skill", if I'm reading you right.

Xerlith
2014-12-02, 06:45 PM
And to sprinkle with some cheese -
You should somehow gain access to Iaijutsu Focus as an always-class skill (Human paragon 1?) and max it.
Now, an arrow is an improvised melee weapon.
Draw the arrow.
Enjoy your extra damage on all (RAW) attacks you make against a flatfooted enemy.
Iaijutsu Archery ftw.

If the arrow part doesn't work, just buy a Gnome Quickrazor and flip it (free action) before you full-attack with the bow.

djwood
2014-12-02, 07:24 PM
Yes friends I am new and I'm deeply sorry about the competence error I'm use to playing d&d in French. But to summarize what you guys said it's possible to use concentration as a check for precision? What feat is that ?

Urpriest
2014-12-02, 07:35 PM
Yes friends I am new and I'm deeply sorry about the competence error I'm use to playing d&d in French. But to summarize what you guys said it's possible to use concentration as a check for precision? What feat is that ?

Extra Anchovies was saying that you could make up a feat if you want, but as-is there isn't one. Xerlith was talking about a different skill, called Iaijutsu Focus.