PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Artisans tools

LucianoAr
2014-12-02, 06:22 PM
well as i reached lvl 3 in battlemaster fighter, i gained proficiency with an artisan tool of my choice, and i have no idea what to pick that could be somewhat useful, im a two weapon fighter with finesse.

asked the dm for the alchemy set but i cant seem to do crap cause apparently im not a mage and everything remotely useful is magic. perhaps i should take the smiths tools and make arms and armor? any of you guys have better ideas?

Heartspan
2014-12-02, 07:01 PM
I don't think you need magic to make healing potions.

LucianoAr
2014-12-02, 07:07 PM
I don't think you need magic to make healing potions.

i think so too. but my DM seems pretty firm about it, theyre magic potions he says.

if theres a rule somewhere id love to rub it in his face tho.

MaxWilson
2014-12-02, 07:23 PM
i think so too. but my DM seems pretty firm about it, theyre magic potions he says.

if theres a rule somewhere id love to rub it in his face tho.

According to the chart here (http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/MagicItemsRarity.pdf) they are Common items, and according to the DMG's crafting rules you need to be IIRC a 3rd level spellcaster to make Common items via the crafting process, so unless you have another way of making Potions of Healing that doesn't involve crafting them, I'm afraid your DMG is correct. That should not surprise anybody because Rule 0. :)

cobaltstarfire
2014-12-02, 07:29 PM
You also can't make potions of healing (or antitoxins) unless you have proficiency with the herbalism kit (via the PHB).

Edit: I think you'd be best off discussing your options with your GM first to get a handle on what you could actually do.

EvilAnagram
2014-12-02, 11:42 PM
Blacksmith tools: Make some armor. Make an adamant or silvered blade. Work together with a wizard to create magic armor/weapons in half the time.

LucianoAr
2014-12-03, 10:40 AM
Blacksmith tools: Make some armor. Make an adamant or silvered blade. Work together with a wizard to create magic armor/weapons in half the time.

yes, im guessing blacksmith is the only useful trade you can get with that battlemaster skill

Scirocco
2014-12-03, 12:27 PM
Brewing is the right answer here; after all that fighting you're going to want to refresh yourself with a porter that's black as coal, silky smooth, and filled with chocolate/coffee aromas (probably real chocolate and espresso too!).

Spacehamster
2014-12-03, 12:40 PM
Anyone else thinks its bull**** that you have to be a magic user to craft potions? I know me and my group will not use that rule. Understand with magical armor, weapons and other "high magic" items but not minor stuff like poisons, potions and so on.

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

MadGrady
2014-12-03, 01:27 PM
Anyone else thinks its bull**** that you have to be a magic user to craft potions? I know me and my group will not use that rule. Understand with magical armor, weapons and other "high magic" items but not minor stuff like poisons, potions and so on.

Spacehamster to infinity and beyond!

Just to play devil's advocate here.....but if the players are not magic users.....where did the magic come from? I could see the argument for healing potions (you could call it FeyQuil or something like that) but that would be about it. Potions of invisibility, resistance, whatever make sense that they require someone who can infuse magic into the liquid.

cobaltstarfire
2014-12-03, 02:45 PM
The magic could come from using components that are inherently magical. Who's to say the world doesn't have weird magic plants and other neat stuff like that.

I think some of the things you could make with alchemist tools are just neat chemical reactions though not magic (alchemists fire/tanglefoot bags/ect).

Edit: Not to say that I think it's a bad rule to require magic to do alchemy, it's up to the GM after all. But I can see ways in which alchemy is magical without requiring the user to have magic themselves.

MadGrady
2014-12-03, 03:19 PM
The magic could come from using components that are inherently magical. Who's to say the world doesn't have weird magic plants and other neat stuff like that.

I think some of the things you could make with alchemist tools are just neat chemical reactions though not magic (alchemists fire/tanglefoot bags/ect).

Edit: Not to say that I think it's a bad rule to require magic to do alchemy, it's up to the GM after all. But I can see ways in which alchemy is magical without requiring the user to have magic themselves.

Yeah I can see that. I guess really then what we are arguing is a definition of "magical" lol. Perhaps a great spell battle occured in an area, and infused the plant life with it's own magical radiation (make these very rare ingredients).

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I typically view alchemy and magical potion brewing as two separate (but related) things. So yeah - you don't have to be magical to make chemical reactions for alchemist's fire, or stuff like that.

But I do think you should be magical to make potions of invisibility, and the like. Although you might use your training in alchemy to assist.

Spacehamster
2014-12-03, 08:39 PM
Yeah I can see that. I guess really then what we are arguing is a definition of "magical" lol. Perhaps a great spell battle occured in an area, and infused the plant life with it's own magical radiation (make these very rare ingredients).

Personally (and this is just my opinion) I typically view alchemy and magical potion brewing as two separate (but related) things. So yeah - you don't have to be magical to make chemical reactions for alchemist's fire, or stuff like that.

But I do think you should be magical to make potions of invisibility, and the like. Although you might use your training in alchemy to assist.

Well I do agree on invisibility potion, with minor I meant like healing potions and maybe remove disease and the like. Stuff that could be made by mixing different medicinal herbs. :)

MadGrady
2014-12-04, 03:25 PM
Well I do agree on invisibility potion, with minor I meant like healing potions and maybe remove disease and the like. Stuff that could be made by mixing different medicinal herbs. :)

Totally on board with that. If a player could make a good enough argument, and they spend the time/money to craft a minor potion like that, I don't really have a good reason (other than just being a jerk lol) to not allow it.

cobaltstarfire
2014-12-04, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think it's in the realm of heavily DM dependent there.

My idea was more naturalistic not super rare cause they only exist from residual magic. More rare-ish and depending on the quality of the plant dangerous to harvest. With some plants maybe even being a more animated sort, and other plants possibly being extra-planer and such.

It would probably be a fairly high magic type of game though, and one that requires a mid-low to mid level to harvest most plants other than those used in healing potions/anti-toxins safely.

Spacehamster
2014-12-04, 04:23 PM
Totally on board with that. If a player could make a good enough argument, and they spend the time/money to craft a minor potion like that, I don't really have a good reason (other than just being a jerk lol) to not allow it.

In my opinion the best way to handle crafting of magical items would be a feat that lets you choose a certain area of expertise. For example weapons, armor, rings/amulets and so on. :)

Mechaviking
2014-12-04, 04:26 PM
I brought down a cliffside on some cult of the dragon scum using explosives a masonry kit and high strength.

Vogonjeltz
2014-12-04, 05:18 PM
well as i reached lvl 3 in battlemaster fighter, i gained proficiency with an artisan tool of my choice, and i have no idea what to pick that could be somewhat useful, im a two weapon fighter with finesse.

asked the dm for the alchemy set but i cant seem to do crap cause apparently im not a mage and everything remotely useful is magic. perhaps i should take the smiths tools and make arms and armor? any of you guys have better ideas?

Well, with the alchemy set you should be able to make Alchemist's Fire, Acid, and Antitoxin...
Cartography proficiency would be good for mapping.

I took proficiency in Smith's tools just because I liked the idea of being a student of war, knowing how to repair and build their own gear. Also, the variant on Equipment sizes can require a smith to resize captured armor for your character, so it's a nice hedge against that.

MadGrady
2014-12-05, 11:10 AM
I brought down a cliffside on some cult of the dragon scum using explosives a masonry kit and high strength.

Out of curiosity - where did the explosives come from?

Edit - Because, frankly, I think that's awesome

Socko525
2014-12-07, 10:09 AM
Cobbler's tools. Just wait til you go to enter a battle and the soles of your shoes fall apart. You'll be kicking yourself then for not taking them.