PDA

View Full Version : Whatever is handy

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-26, 03:49 PM
I'm pretty sure I ran across it at some point, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone know of a feat or something that takes away at least some of the penalty of fighting with an improvised weapon?

hewhosaysfish
2007-03-26, 03:52 PM
I can't think of anything apart from possibly one of the features for Drunken Master.

Illiterate Scribe
2007-03-26, 03:53 PM
Drunken Master? Unarmed damage +1d4 damage + proficiency on 2nd level.

EDIT: Simu'd by hewhosaysfish, but simu'ing marjan!

marjan
2007-03-26, 03:53 PM
Drunken Master from Complete Warrior can fight with Improvised Weapons with lesser penalty I think.

Edit: Damn. Too slow.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2007-03-26, 03:56 PM
You might also be thinking of Monte Cook's house rule giving the Urban Ranger variant class Improvised Weapon Proficiency, to reflect the time spent brawling in taverns.

And frankly, you could just create the Improvised Weapon Proficiency feat if you wanted to, though it'd see little use in your typical D&D campaign, unless you have some very creative and very poor characters.

Roderick_BR
2007-03-26, 04:10 PM
And there's the Exotic Weapon Master. The 3.0 version is overpowered. The 3.5 version from Complete Warrior is more balanced, but still allows you to use improvised weapons with less penalties, I think.

Quietus
2007-03-26, 04:16 PM
I've seen characters who took Exotic Proficiency (Improvised Weapons) before. While those weapons are, of course, less efficient in some cases, I've seen him do some pretty awesome things. First adventure we had he was knocking people out with a sconce... later on he weilded a big bar of iron shaped like a 7. More recently, he's used a huge length of wood meant to bar a door to beat down a mummy (it had reach, the mummy didn't).

All in all, sometimes, it helps to have that proficiency.

Jasdoif
2007-03-26, 04:17 PM
D20 Modern's Infiltrator (http://www.12tomidnight.com/d20modernsrd/Infiltrator.php) advanced class gets the ability to ignore the nonproficiency penalty on all improvised weapons at 2nd level. Might be what you're thinking of.