PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Core-Only Magic Items for a Bard

Sir Chuckles
2014-12-02, 08:17 PM
Plain and simple, what are good magic item choices for a 5th level Bard in nearly core-only? Specifically one who has 12s in all physical stats and 18 Int/Cha. 9,000gp to spend, and, well, It's Cold Outside.

INoKnowNames
2014-12-02, 08:25 PM
9,000 gp... not too much to spend on stuff. Honestly, at those low levels, I'd probably just get basic equipment. Good versions of whatever your weapon of choice happens to be, armor, and whatever ups your saving throws and other numbers.

Oh, I do know one good one! If you're doing Inspire Courage (and I'd consider it; it's really good), a Badge of Valor from the Magic Item Compendium is 1,200 gp, and totally worth it!

How much is Core Only? 'cuz we could get super obscure in this mug if you really wanted to get decked out.

We could totally make you.... AAAAAAAVVVAAAANT GUUUUAAAAAARRRDEE!

Darrin
2014-12-02, 10:12 PM
Hand of the Mage (900 GP) is a good place to start if you don't already have an item in your throat slot. If consumables are available, consider grabbing a wand of silent image, wand of grease, and a wand of cure light wounds (750 GP each).

Circlet of Persuasion (4500 GP) is usually a "Must Get" for a bard, but if that's too pricey then get a Hat of Disguise (1800 GP). Either of these are pretty key "social engineering" items, and although you can only wear one of them at a time, it's good to have both available so you can switch between "sneak into palace"/"impersonate the crown prince" moments.

If you use unseen servant a lot, try giving it a Horn of Fog (2000 GP) for a little BFC.

If you can spare a couple skill points on Craft: Painting, I'm a big fan of Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments (4000 GP).

If you have any GP left over, it's always worth it to pick up a few Feather Tokens: Tree (400), Boat (450), or Whip (500).

Sir Chuckles
2014-12-03, 01:10 AM
I'm moderately proficient in non-core items, but I'm just so used to have all da books that I may of gotten my basics rusty. Heh. I've pretty much only got the PHB+Frostburn. We're able to ask for specifics, but it's case-by-case and the deadline is closing in.

I'm not worried about the Wands, due to use using Recharge Magic, from UA. Makes Wands of spells that I can cast every 1d4 rounds a bit less pertinent.
Though the Circlet of Persuasion is very much going on my shopping list. With ranks in multiple Charisma skills, it becomes very useful. The Hat may be useful in that I can slap it on at any time, but with Extend Spell, the currently 100 minute time on casting it myself should likely be enough.

As for the pigments...I've always been a huge fan of them even putting Fountain Pens of Marvelous Pigments on the market for them. Unfortunately, I can't spare the skill points. Which makes me quite sad. Maybe the next monkey. Ahc, who am I kidding? Definitely the next skill monkey. Why stop there? Dang it, I'm slapping painting skill on all of them from now on.

It may be best, due to the setting, to just to quickly ask for a slotted Clear Spindle Ioun Stone, and then fill in the gaps with Tokens and Masterwork tools. Such an Ioun Stone would cost 2,000gp, no?

deuxhero
2014-12-03, 04:08 AM
The big items (cloaks of resistance, magic arms/armor, charisma booster) are all good