PDA

View Full Version : I need apocalyptic names!

Dustedchaos
2014-12-02, 10:23 PM
I need some help naming a few apocalyptic cities in a custom world i'm creating, I need four names for four
areas on my world.

1st:The first area is a small peasant village down in a uncivilized corner of the earth, It isn't very popularized so it only has about 45 people living there and also doesn't have a very strong trade route.It is a struggle to keep the desert animals out of the village every week but somehow they survive. I would like it if the name could end with Village.

2nd:The second area is the main food trading center of the world where most scavengers and hunters go to sell their hides, animal meats, and unique scavenged foods from the vast desert which is the world. It is the 3rd largest area on the world and is populated by about 350 people.

3rd:The third area is the fourth largest area on the world it is another trading center but less popular so it doesn't focus much on that and is mostly a normal village.The trading part of the village focuses mostly on equipment and armor.

4th:The fourth area is...I really have no ideas for this one so...Feel free to go crazy on this one.But just a reminder, The world is a big desert and has desert-like fauna and animals (and the animals usually try to break into villages and steal crops) I also would like it if it could have something to do with the production of the sand pents (sand pents are basically money in the world)

Sorry for being so strict on these names but thanks for contributing and even just reading this whole thing!

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-02, 10:56 PM
I need some help naming a few apocalyptic cities in a custom world i'm creating, I need five names for five
areas on my world.

1st:The first area is a small peasant village down in a uncivilized corner of the earth, It isn't very popularized so it only has about 45 people living there and also doesn't have a very strong trade route.It is a struggle to keep the desert animals out of the village every week but somehow they survive. I would like it if the name could end with Village.

2nd:The second area is the main food trading center of the world where most scavengers and hunters go to sell their hides, animal meats, and unique scavenged foods from the vast desert which is the world. It is the 3rd largest area on the world and is populated by about 350 people.

3rd:The third area is the fourth largest area on the world it is another trading center but less popular so it doesn't focus much on that and is mostly a normal village.The trading part of the village focuses mostly on equipment and armor.

4th:The fourth area is...I really have no ideas for this one so...Feel free to go crazy on this one.But just a reminder, The world is a big desert and has desert-like fauna and animals (and the animals usually try to break into villages and steal crops) I also would like it if it could have something to do with the production of the sand pents (sand pents are basically money in the world)

Sorry for being so strict on these names but thanks for contributing and even just reading this whole thing!

1. Perth

2. Bartertown

3. Thunder dome

4.Fury Road

RagingBluMunky
2014-12-03, 12:11 AM
Kinda depends on what you mean by 'Apocalyptic', I'm assuming that means 'people can remember when it was better, though none are now alive who lived there). A lot of place names are related to where they are situated (i.e. Cambridge: bridge over the river Cam), though this isn't a hard and fast rule. With the current information, here's what I've got.

1. Dirt Nap (or that could be one word), Dust

2. The Market (or drop 'the'), Hub, Commerce, Trade Town

3. Wasteland, Shade (if say, built in a canyon, shade would be nice in a desert)

4. The Bay, Ivory Tower, Second Shift, Cactus, Seventh Circle, Clifftop,

Sartharina
2014-12-03, 10:24 PM
... wow. If only 350 people live in the 3rd largest place, this world is REALLY dead.

Telonius
2014-12-03, 10:46 PM
1. Eldorado (over the mountains of the moon...). Mandias Village (look upon my works and despair)

2. Charnel

3. Clash

4. Okay, so in a world of desert, they're using sand as currency? Must be a particularly cool sort of sand - or maybe a particular color. How about, "Tell Hydros" - a "tell" is a hill that rises up overtop of ancient ruins. A reference to the fallen world before, that had water. The sand is a particular color from some sort of chemical that's still halfway bubbling up from the fall of Hydros.

Mr Beer
2014-12-03, 11:42 PM
... wow. If only 350 people live in the 3rd largest place, this world is REALLY dead.

But a "small village" has 45 people in it. I guess it doesn't take many people to change the classification e.g. 0 - 25 = hamlet, 25 - 50 = village, 50 - 100 = town, 100 - 200 = city, 200 - 400 = metropolis, 400+ = megacity.

The storytellers occasionally sit round the flickering fires and terrify children with Malthusian horror stories of ancient-times conurbations with a thousand or more humans all living in the same area! The adults, while titillated by the theme of urban degeneracy, smile indulgently at such impossibilities.

Ravens_cry
2014-12-04, 04:08 AM
Yeah. That's barely a big enough initial population to avoid massive inbreeding, and you're still likely to get hit with the Founder effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder_effect) pretty damn hard.

Mastikator
2014-12-04, 05:43 AM
1 Desert Village. Or the name of the desert + Village

2 I agree with Bartertown

3 I'm guessing it focuses on farming, so Grainstown, or Porkstown, or Cowhole, or whatever it is that they actually farm.

4 "The Bunker", an underground town made mostly out of a a few bunkers and subterranean tunnels between the bunkers where people live.

You said you need five names and then listed 4 places for names... so?

hamishspence
2014-12-04, 06:57 AM
Yeah. That's barely a big enough initial population to avoid massive inbreeding, and you're still likely to get hit with the Founder effect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Founder_effect) pretty damn hard.

Suppose the world is full of nomads - and only a tiny proportion live in settlements?

Might reduce the problem somewhat - if nomads keep settling and people keep leaving the settlements to take up the nomad way.

veti
2014-12-04, 02:13 PM
1. (I really like this from earlier): Dirt Nap
2. Carrion Crawl
3. Harvest Home
4. The Crater

Fayd
2014-12-04, 09:27 PM
1. World's End (geographically anyway; I know it doesn't comport with your request but it felt right, you know?)

2. Hope

3. Megiddo. (To explain: in the Christian (I'm not sure about the other Abrahamic faiths, sorry) apocalypse story, Megiddo is a place (alternatively plain or mountain) where a climactic battle is fought. To apply here, much of the arms and armor they sell result from farmers digging up new gear when they till their fields.)

4. Comet's Grave. (based on your choice of "Pent", which I interpreted to mean five, and from there to star) When the world ended, the very stars fell from the sky, raining fire and ice across the land. Some survivors, years and years ago, found the resting place of a number of these stars, and have been extracting useful materials, magical power, and from some of these fallen beauties, the most valuable resource of all, water. These lights, however, did not die quietly, and the sand is riddled with what have been named "Sand Pents" (based on the usual way they are cut for standardization in trade), small chips of fused-sand-glass filled with some of the magic of the dying stars... too little power to meaningfully use, but just enough to be beautiful.

BONUS: The City of Glass. This is more a fable than anything else... probably. Doesn't stop a couple adventurous types from going to find it. As some of the old legends go, it was a city, grown with powerful magic from crystals and gemstones. Other tales say that it was a palace of the old Storm God, back before the gods quit the world, and that he crafted it from the sands with lightning and power. No matter its origin, one thing is a constant: the city is overflowing with water, and more importantly, magic artifacts that can create water. Many have left to find it and none have returned.

TheThan
2014-12-04, 09:30 PM
3. Thunder dome

I guess you can't get Beyond thunderdome either. :smallbiggrin:

Edit

BONUS: The City of Glass. This is more a fable than anything else... probably. Doesn't stop a couple adventurous types from going to find it. As some of the old legends go, it was a city, grown with powerful magic from crystals and gemstones. Other tales say that it was a palace of the old Storm God, back before the gods quit the world, and that he crafted it from the sands with lightning and power. No matter its origin, one thing is a constant: the city is overflowing with water, and more importantly, magic artifacts that can create water. Many have left to find it and none have returned.

The reality is that it’s the ruins of a modern city, the “city of glass” refers to skyscrapers.

Sartharina
2014-12-05, 01:01 AM
BONUS: The City of Glass. This is more a fable than anything else... probably. Doesn't stop a couple adventurous types from going to find it. As some of the old legends go, it was a city, grown with powerful magic from crystals and gemstones. Other tales say that it was a palace of the old Storm God, back before the gods quit the world, and that he crafted it from the sands with lightning and power. No matter its origin, one thing is a constant: the city is overflowing with water, and more importantly, magic artifacts that can create water. Many have left to find it and none have returned.Of course none have returned... or gotten near. On a sunny day, it's a blinding hazard! (http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_1216.php)

Ravens_cry
2014-12-05, 01:34 AM
Suppose the world is full of nomads - and only a tiny proportion live in settlements?

Might reduce the problem somewhat - if nomads keep settling and people keep leaving the settlements to take up the nomad way.
It could, yes, especially if there was a common tradition of marrying outside one's community.

Milo v3
2014-12-08, 05:14 PM
1. Perth

*Hands (Un)Inspired an internet cookie*

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-08, 05:45 PM
*Hands (Un)Inspired an internet cookie*

Hehe thanks. I was hoping someone would like that.

Dustedchaos
2014-12-17, 07:44 PM
Thanks for all of the names, based on the comments I have chosen the names but feel free to keep posting them.I might just get a few new ideas from them! :smallbiggrin:

GPuzzle
2014-12-17, 08:35 PM
Damn, should've noticed this earlier.

1. Cornerstop.

2. The Granary.

3. Metalworks.

4. Boneshield.

blacklight101
2014-12-18, 10:22 PM
I only have a name or two bouncing around, and it's mainly Tull (before it got wiped by a gunslinger). Nothing too on-topic for the qualifications given, just chalk it up as a not-thinking-too-well night, I guess. ^_^;;

Inevitability
2014-12-24, 02:04 AM
You won't believe it, but there's a generator (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/apocalypse-town-names.php#.VJplk8AAA) for this.