PDA

View Full Version : Attunement Synergy

Submortimer
2014-12-02, 11:00 PM
So, now that 5th is fully out and we have the rules for attunement, I'd like to see how you guys feel about certain magic items having synergistic effects with other items that are attuned to a person. My thought for this came from the 2nd ed rules for Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Belt/Girdle of Giant Strength, and the Hammer of Thunderbolts: Back then, if you had all three, the boosts from the Gauntlets and the Belt stacked, and the Hammer gained the ability to be thrown and to return to the hand of the wielder. It seems like now, we have a mechanic for creating items that may have a "Set" bonus attached based on attunement. What do you think?

Jlooney
2014-12-02, 11:05 PM
So, now that 5th is fully out and we have the rules for attunement, I'd like to see how you guys feel about certain magic items having synergistic effects with other items that are attuned to a person. My thought for this came from the 2nd ed rules for Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Belt/Girdle of Giant Strength, and the Hammer of Thunderbolts: Back then, if you had all three, the boosts from the Gauntlets and the Belt stacked, and the Hammer gained the ability to be thrown and to return to the hand of the wielder. It seems like now, we have a mechanic for creating items that may have a "Set" bonus attached based on attunement. What do you think?

While I think the idea of it is cool, I don't think it's a wise idea. This edition isn't supposed to have the PC's being all that loaded with magic items. The ONLY reason I feel this way is because an 18/00 STR in 2nd gave you +2/+6 (IIRC)and the stats went to 25. I really don't think getting a "set bonus" is a good idea unless it's individual pieces bring about a penalty.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-02, 11:14 PM
This edition isn't supposed to have the PC's being all that loaded with magic items.

This is blatantly false. 5e does not require any particular level of magic. There is even DMG support for high-magic games.

On some level I'm disagreeing with you because I disagree, but mostly I'm trying to sow confusion because we have identical avatars

Anyway, OP, I wouldn't do these as random loot. "Set" items could be cool if they were the centerpiece of some adventure.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-02, 11:29 PM
This is blatantly false. 5e does not require any particular level of magic. There is even DMG support for high-magic games.

On some level I'm disagreeing with you because I disagree, but mostly I'm trying to sow confusion because we have identical avatars

Anyway, OP, I wouldn't do these as random loot. "Set" items could be cool if they were the centerpiece of some adventure.

Well...

If you are a non-caster then you eventually need a magic weapon to do your job while casters don't need magic items.

Some higher CR monsters gain immunity to nonmagical weapons so you either have it or suck it.

I really really really hate this in 5e. Resistance can work just fine no need to say "screw you guys over there unless you have a magic friend".

MaxWilson
2014-12-03, 12:09 AM
If you are a non-caster then you eventually need a magic weapon to do your job while casters don't need magic items.

Casters really, really need magical items in order to fight Rakshasas and other things immune to magic. They just don't particularly want to be using the magical items personally--they want a fighter buddy to use it on their behalf.

On the other hand, nothing that I know of is immune to an arrow from a good old Longbow +1, so in a sense, fighters don't need casters.

Atmosk
2014-12-03, 12:27 AM
Silvered weapons should just be treated as magical, that would solve all the problems.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-03, 12:58 AM
Silvered weapons should just be treated as magical, that would solve all the problems.

They are for most things with actual immunity.

Besides, it's not like casters aren't ever hurt by monsters' resistances.

jkat718
2014-12-03, 07:59 AM
As far as the OP's question goes, there is already at least one "set" of basic items, namely the Eye and Hand of Vecna. Each one gives certain features individually, but they also give other features when combined. These features are both beneficial and detrimental, and usually balanced (insofar as they are each artifacts and being balanced as such, are still wildly OP).

Teulisch
2014-12-03, 08:23 AM
considering the hard limit of attuning 3 items, that really reduces the value of items that need attunement. including the hammer you mentioned, as all 3 of those items must attune to get the benefit. this is a stealth nerf for magic items in general.

Durazno
2014-12-03, 08:34 AM
I think the OP is talking about a situation where each item individually gives you a fitting benefit for the kind of item it is, and you get something neat and extra if you exert yourself to find all three pieces of the set. I don't see how adding a benefit on top of their normal effects would be a nerf.

Jlooney
2014-12-03, 10:15 AM
As far as the dmg supporting high magic games, the phb talks about sigil and the dmg talks about spelljammer that doesn't mean that it's the point.

Magic weapons is different than needing a +3. A simple first level spell can make magic weapons. Even the warlocks pact weapon is considered magic.

In rebuttle of a caster needing magic items to deal with Rakasha, I hope you don't plan on soloing one cause no matter what you have you're screwed.

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-03, 10:50 AM
As far as the dmg supporting high magic games, the phb talks about sigil and the dmg talks about spelljammer that doesn't mean that it's the point.

There's also a table for how to distribute magic items for higher-level starting games which depends on whether you're running a low, medium, or high-magic game. I also think there are other places, such as the rules for magic item pricing, that talk about it

(**Guesstimating this from previews and stuff people have talked about, I don't have it myself yet)

thepsyker
2014-12-03, 11:02 AM
As far as the OP's question goes, there is already at least one "set" of basic items, namely the Eye and Hand of Vecna. Each one gives certain features individually, but they also give other features when combined. These features are both beneficial and detrimental, and usually balanced (insofar as they are each artifacts and being balanced as such, are still wildly OP).

The Hammer of Thunder Bolts/Belt of Giant Strength/Gauntlets of Ogres Might combo mentioned previously also make a reappearance with a boost when you attune all three.

Edit: It is also worth mentioning that a lot of the artifacts like the Hand and Eye of Vecna had synergistic effects in 1st edition. The Regalia of Good/Neutral/Evil Might and the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar for example.

MadGrady
2014-12-03, 01:52 PM
There's also a table for how to distribute magic items for higher-level starting games which depends on whether you're running a low, medium, or high-magic game. I also think there are other places, such as the rules for magic item pricing, that talk about it

(**Guesstimating this from previews and stuff people have talked about, I don't have it myself yet)

Your identical avatars are REALLY throwing me off here......

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 02:24 PM
Casters really, really need magical items in order to fight Rakshasas and other things immune to magic. They just don't particularly want to be using the magical items personally--they want a fighter buddy to use it on their behalf.

On the other hand, nothing that I know of is immune to an arrow from a good old Longbow +1, so in a sense, fighters don't need casters.

Which magic immunity is still stupid too. Magic resistance would have done the job just fine. Leave magic/nonmagical immunity to the gods or insanely rare creatures (1 of that type of creature in the setting).

How did that fighter get a enchanted longbow? Have they finally allowed Non-Casters to make items yet?

MaxWilson
2014-12-03, 02:55 PM
How did that fighter get a enchanted longbow? Have they finally allowed Non-Casters to make items yet?

Technically, anyone can take the Magic Initiate feat and make +1 Weapons at third level (if they have the formula and sufficient gold/downtime). An Eldritch Knight wouldn't even need to take the feat, since he is already a spellcaster.

Even if he doesn't have an actual magic weapon, the Eldritch Knight can just cast Magic Weapon on his bow using his bonus action.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 03:06 PM
Technically, anyone can take the Magic Initiate feat and make +1 Weapons at third level (if they have the formula and sufficient gold/downtime). An Eldritch Knight wouldn't even need to take the feat, since he is already a spellcaster.

Even if he doesn't have an actual magic weapon, the Eldritch Knight can just cast Magic Weapon on his bow using his bonus action.

At which casethe fighter becomes a caster. A partial caster but still a caster.

pwykersotz
2014-12-04, 11:13 AM
At which casethe fighter becomes a caster. A partial caster but still a caster.

Kind of a useless distinction since every class (and subclass with the feat) in the game has at least one option available to do this.

To the OP: I like the idea of attunement synergy very much. Do you have any other ideas for what items might work together?