PDA

View Full Version : Ruins of Fangwood Keep

jedipotter
2014-12-03, 12:03 AM
Frostdale is a small dale land at the far northern edge of the Dalelands, at the northern tip of the Border Forest, in 100 DR. The dale is an elven community, moon and wild elves, with a couple other good races. Three small villages make up this small, isolated dale.

A couple of centuries ago, around -290DR, a power rose in Frostdale: The Baroness Yillaraigosa Frost. She build a small keep, Fangwood Keep, and ruled the land with an iron fist. And her various plant monsters. Until -277 DR, when the dwarves rose up to oppose her. The Frostaxe War raged for years, until -271 DR when Baroness Frost defeated the dwarves and killed nearly all of them. The victory was at great cost and her forces were greatly weakened. Sensing the opportunity the folk of Frostdale rose up and were able to defeat her remaining forces. And in -270 DR Baroness Yillaraigosa Frost was captured and killed. Fangwood Keep was left to fall into ruin.

Now, centuries later, someone or something evil again lurks at Fangwood Keep.......

Xenoris
2014-12-03, 01:11 AM
As Alduin is traveling through Frostdale on his quest for knowledge and magic from other lands that differ to his homeland, some whispering and rumours peak his interest and he spends his first day in Frostdale gathering information.

Diplomacy roll d20+1 = 15

( can I use a function to roll in this forum?? )

jedipotter
2014-12-03, 03:10 AM
Put OOC stuff in a Spoiler like this.

Rolling:#d#Diplays cumulative results. 1d6 gives the results of 1 six-sided die, for example.
(1d6)[3]gives you (1d6)[4]

So 1b20+1

Everyone in the town of Sostell, the largest village in Frostvale, knows the history(above). Everyone repeats the same story.

The moon elf ranger Illianaro Moonwolf mentions lots of goblins around the area of Fangwood Keep.

The wild elf diviner Maelyrra the Seer mentions a great and dark magic has returned to the land, but she knows not yet where....

Xenoris
2014-12-03, 09:12 PM
Alduin re-visits Maelyrra the Seer with intent to inquire about the nature of the magic and what the return implies.

(Traveling to wherever she is located)

jedipotter
2014-12-04, 01:12 AM
Maelyrra the Seer has her own small farm and herb shop. As the village only has 30 buildings, it only takes a couple minutes to find.

Maelyrra the Seer invites out outback to her small garden and brings out some tea. "I had a feeling I would be seeing you again. You have questions yes? Ask away?"

Xenoris
2014-12-04, 07:27 AM
Alduins eyes brighten at her words as he finds all magic interesting; especially when there is mystery and new knowledge involved. Alduin then composes himself before speaking so as to not come off as an inquisitive child.

As you predicted most honorable Seer I am here to gain answers.

Maelrenna, I wish to know the natures of the magic you speak of, if you have to power to divine such knowledge. Last time I came you mentioned that it felt both great and dark. May I ask what makes is great? Does it encompass a large area or multiple sources? Or do you feel that it emanates from a single powerful entity?

You also mention that it is dark, I assume you mean it to be evil; can you sense any intent in it? Murderous or Corruptive?

Finally do you have any inkling as to what the magic's school or field is? Is it just an aura? Or is it some spell in effect that has discernable features?

jedipotter
2014-12-04, 06:15 PM
Maelyrra the Seer "Great, as in powerful....having great ability to chage what is into what may be to come. Much the same way you know an acorn can become a mighty oak. It is not localized yet, as far as I can tell. It's more like a thin cover of snow...out there and all around. A single entity? Maybe...I'm not sure at all though. Might be more.

And oh yes dark, destructive to life and hope for sure. And surely Corruption that is clear.

Necromancy magic for sure, but I also feel change...like transmutation.

I have not seen this in the effect of any spell I know of around here....."

Xenoris
2014-12-05, 09:57 AM
Alduin takes a deep sip of his tea mulling over the new information.

I am intrigued. Necromancy is a most foul magic when used incorrectly and I have stayed away from such practices thus far in my study of wizardry. The possible rise of undead comes to mind with such magics in play, possibly enhanced depending on the type of transmutation at work.

Luciens feathers ruffle at the mention of undead and Alduin pets the hawk resting on his shoulder reassuringly before continuing.

I believe I should seek out the company of a Cleric or Paladin if I am to further investigate these magics in case I run into any trouble with the non-living.

Cue VinGoodman's and/or Lifeson's character/s to join???

Do you think the magic could have anything to do with the rise of goblin activity around Fangwood Keep? Perhaps some ill-intended ritual of dark magic variety?

VinGoodman
2014-12-05, 10:51 AM
Vincent Goodman (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=65781)
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

(R) Sling: +5 | 1d4+2 | x2
(M) [b]Ranseur: +3 | 2d4+3 | x3 [P,reach,disarm]
(M) Dagger: +3 | 1d4+2 | 19-20/x2

In hand: Ranseur

Suddenly, a young man bedecked in a well kept chain shirt and holding a polearm bursts through the door. As he pauses inside the door, you notice an emblem in the form of a red sculpted head and neck of a horse on his armor. "Oh, sorry, it appears I am intruding. Perhaps I should wait outside. I have need to speak with you, Maelyrra. Ser." The knight nods in respect and starts to head back out the door.

And, Vincent makes his dramatic entrance! Lol, it appears we both have the same avatar!

jedipotter
2014-12-05, 02:47 PM
Maelyrra the Seer "Do come in Vincent Goodman, you are expected." Maelyrra waves her hand over the silver tea tray that now has a clay cup of hot tea on it...or was the try empty a moment ago...

Maelyrra the Seer "Even a blind woman could see you coming, young one. Your like a blizzard on the plains. And I'm far from blind with my sight beyond sight. You had questions yes? Sit and ask.

Now, young wizard be careful. Not all necromancy is evil. Like all magic, it depends what the users does with the magic. And don't overly focus on undead too much. Undeath is a part of necromantic magic, yes, but it is only one tree in a forest.

Fangwood Keep has always been a place of evil. The Baroness was very wicked. She twisted so many plants, made so many of the things of the natural neutral world into monstrosity of evil. But I've never heard of any undead around Fangwood Keep.

And i will admit to not keeping up my on local talk, so I don't know about the goblins. Other then plenty of tribes of goblins, gnolls and ogres roam the cold lands north of here."

VinGoodman
2014-12-05, 03:19 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Vincent stands inside the door uncertainly at the Seer's words in front of someone unfamiliar to him. An elf, by the looks of it. He decides obedience is the wiser choice and return inside to an empty seat conveniently located for tea and conversation. He takes a drink of the tea, as much to calm himself as to quench his thirst. The paladin considers his words carefully, making sure he remembered his mission properly as it was handed down to him. "I've been warned there is a disturbance in the air, and that I must hasten to the ruins of what once was Fang...er..." Vincent scratches his head as he tries to remember the location. "...Fangwood Keep! That's it. Ahem, I mean, I am to see if anything is going on at the ruins, so that I may return the information to the Order."

The young man stops, unsure why such a mission would require he go out of the way to speak to the Seer of a small, otherwise unimpressive village. Then, as if a candle is suddenly lit within his brain, he proceeds to explain. "Ah, yes, I've been ordered to bring this to you..." Vincent quickly rummages through his backpack for a scroll, careful to make sure the seal resembling his armor's emblem is still intact before handing it over. "...and that you would have further instructions for me."

"Er, were you just talking about Fangwood Keep?"

jedipotter
2014-12-05, 03:42 PM
Maelyrra the Seer takes the scroll, breaks the wax seal, reads it quickly and burns the scroll to ashes over a nearby candle.

"Yes. Fangwood Keep. There maybe something a foot there. None of my divinations have revealed that fact, sometimes the future is like a snow storm inside a blizzard. It is possible that is where the trouble is, it's after all a foul and evil place. And it has been untouched by the good folk for years. Left to crumble and overgrow. And the whole area around the keep is full of the monstrous plants of the Baroness that have taken root.

Still, I can't point to that has being the spot of the disturbance in the Weave.

So, the only real way to know, will to be to send someones up there to have a look."

Xenoris
2014-12-06, 08:54 AM
You are quite right Seer and I will be sure to keep an open mind to the matter of this necromancy afoot

Alduin turns to the newcomer and offers his hand.

Alduin, son of Eldin; Wizard of elvish decent. I wish to discover the source of the this disturbance as the matter may be of use to further my studies. Your arrival seems almost too fortuitous, but what else should I expect in the company of such an accomplished Seer. With what you have outlined earlier it seem that our goals may overlap. If you do indeed intend to travel to Fangwood Keep to investigate, would you allow me to accompany you? I believe the danger would be lessened and I would feel safer in company.

Without waiting for a response Alduin flourishes his hands and a sheet of paper ink and an inkpen zoom out of his back and satchels hovering in front of him. Alduin then starts taking notes of all the information gained thus far in a beautiful flowing elvish script.

This was a use of Prestidigitaion

VinGoodman
2014-12-06, 01:25 PM
The paladin nods at the elf's words and takes Alduin's hand as a sign of greeting. "Indeed, your presence in my mission is most...opportune. One would almost wonder if you have planted yourself in my path for just this purpose." He looks to the Seer as he continues. "However, as the Seer is in good standing with my Order, and you are here with her, I will extend sufficient trust of you so as to allow you to accompany me."

"I am Vincent, servant of the Lady of Strategy. It is not be beyond her calculations to have properly placed her pawns as such. However, I fear I lack sufficient faith to believe this...chance encounter...unerringly." The knight touches his emblem at the thought, as if seeking forgiveness. "Indeed, your company would be much appreciated for this mission. As a group, more options and tactics are open to us. I would be remiss not to appreciate the depth of this truth."

Xenoris
2014-12-06, 06:09 PM
Very Good!

Alduin exclaims excited to get to work. With another flourish all his belongings return to their proper places. Lucien squawks at his masters sudden excitement and movement.

Thank you kindly for your information and tea seer it has been most helpful and delicious in turn. Vincent, if you would lead the way I will follow closely behind.

Alduin waits at the entrance ready to follow Vincent when he makes his move.

jedipotter
2014-12-07, 01:15 AM
Maelyrra the Seer "Will you be needing a guide? My daughter can take you there, if needed."

Maelyrra the Seer rings a small copper bell, and a young female wild elf in green leather armor comes in the back door.

"Polona Greensight, my daughter. Priestess of Kirith Sotheril. Like you both she is young and has not seen much of the world yet. But she is ready to leave the forest."

VinGoodman
2014-12-07, 05:17 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Vincent stands hastily and bows to the daughter of the Seer. "It would be an honor to have you with us, Lady Greensight. We thank you for your guidance on this journey." Turning to the Seer, he offers his farewell for the moment. "The Order and I thank you for your assistance. I shall be sure to report how helpful you have been in pointing me on my path." The paladin gathers up his belongings as well, and takes his leave as he journeys onward towards the ruins with his newfound allies.

jedipotter
2014-12-08, 12:48 AM
Polona Greensight "I know my way around the wild lands to the north. But I have never been as far north as Fangwood Keep. But I know where it is."

She puts on her backpack and gets her long wooden staff.

VinGoodman
2014-12-08, 01:20 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Vincent smiles at the priestess as the group journeys on. "Then I am glad you are with us. While I have been given general directions, I had feared I would necessarily risk many false directions before reaching the Keep, for my lack of familiarity with the region."

The paladin turns to the elven wizard. Though youthful in appearance, Vincent recognizes the many decades of experience that reside under the facade. "Wizard Alduin, what do you hope to achieve, through the study of this particular ruins and its mysteries?"

Xenoris
2014-12-08, 07:48 PM
Greater knowledge! Greater understanding! Forgotten knowledge and yet to be discovered information is the drive behind one such as myself leaving the safety of the great libraries. Of course the power and nature of whatever we are to find intrigues me. Perhaps something we find could be repurposed for a less malevolent use than this 'dark aura' that the Seer presumes.

Alduin thrusts out his arm allowing Lucien to fly free and circle the sky to give him impressions of the coming landscape as they travel. Turning back to Vincent Alduin asks:

So, what drives you young one? What drove you to your order?

Smileybastard
2014-12-09, 03:29 PM
Dannok

Dannok enters the village in his simple cloths, carrying his very large backpack loaded with tools and equipment. Obviously protruding from his pack is a spade, pick, block and tackle, rope and an iron pot. While the pack is clearly very heavy and he has been walking a long time he smiles as he walks along. His average frame seemingly unaffected by his physical burden. He wears no armor and carries no weapons.

He walks as if he has no cares in the world and watches the clouds pass before the sun.

VinGoodman
2014-12-09, 06:43 PM
Vincent scratches his head at the question. A bit embarrassed, the paladin shrugs as he attempts an answer. "Truth be told, I was born into the Order. I never questioned the wisdom of strategy and respecting its use for the promotion of the good. It just seemed so obviously right."

"Hmm..."

Eventually, Vincent gives up the philosophical exercise. "Perhaps someday the question will force itself upon me. For now, I shall evade its probing thrust, for I find it a difficult engagement. Instead, I content myself with the present danger. There is something clearly awry, enough to ruffle some of the leading strategists at the Order. I'm glad to be seen as someone tactically useful in confronting this mystery."

Xenoris
2014-12-09, 07:35 PM
Calmer and less excited than he was previously, Alduin looks quizzically at Vincent then speaks in a manner that seems like he is actively watching his words as not to offend

I have tried to take my fathers opinions of humans with a grain of salt. Also to keep a my mind open as a good academic should. This is in stark contrast to the rest of my race on some matters especially. However, I must say that your willful ignorance of fully understanding the intentions of your order concerns me. Nevertheless I am thankful for your assistance in this.

After reading some Forgotten Realms I've decided Alduin is a Sun Elf from a noble family of powerful wizards. His curiosity and open mind letting him go against the grain of his father and the rest of his race. He is keen to explore and learn things that his isolated family would not and is happy to get away from them as after many years their exclusivity and racism has grated on his conscience.

Forgetting the ignorance of the human Alduin turns to Polona:

So nice of you to help guide us on this opportunistic venture. Any valuable insights you are able to give us about the area we must travel through and that of the Keep's surrounds?

jedipotter
2014-12-10, 12:30 AM
Polona Greensight nods [COLOR="#800080"Once we get past the outer marker, be watchful of any plants. "[/COLOR]

Suddenly about 100 feet off to the right several loud, high pitched screams are heard. And six young elven children come running out of the evergreen woods.......followed by a medium sized green bat like creature flying trough the air. The children scatter six ways, and the bat-like creature follows just one of them, a young male. The bat-like creature shoots a black ray of light and the child falls into the grass, as the bat like creature folds in it's wings and falls on top of the child.

Round 1

Everyone is 100 feet away, across a grassy field of to the north side of the village, from where the child and the bat creature are on the ground. There are six villages nearby within the 100-150 feet range of the event, though even a quick look tells you they are simple unarmed commoner villagers.

Roll Initiatives(if your character wishes to take any combat related action in the next six seconds)
[roll0]

Xenoris
2014-12-10, 12:55 AM
Was thinking something like this might happen and thought having my familiar circle the area in the sky might give me some feelings/warning (is that not how that works?)

Initiative: [roll0]

Seeing the scene and reacting with swift elven grace Alduin runs forward and draws his shortbow poised to shoot.

I believe this is all I can do in this turn

Shouting to the kids:

Run as fast as you can children alert the town guards!

jedipotter
2014-12-10, 01:28 AM
Well...you could do it. Sure. I would recommend you not do it, though.

It's a move action to draw a bow, and drawing an arrow is a free action. Each round you get (basically) one move action and one standard action. So drawing a bow is just a move action. An attack is a standard action.

A short bow has a range of 60 feet. So you can shoot up to 60 feet away with no penalty for range. As the monster is 100 feet away, you'd take a -2 range penitently to hit.

Or you can take a second move action and move forward 30 feet. Then you'd be in range next round.

The elven children keep running out of the field and into the village.

Smileybastard
2014-12-10, 01:51 AM
Dannok

Init [roll0]

Without a thought Dannok runs as fast as he can towards the child with the creature on top of it.

He is not encumbered and so can move 4 x his normal move or 120'. He will move right up to the creature.

VinGoodman
2014-12-10, 06:05 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Initiative [roll0]
The paladin races toward the boy and the bat-like creature over him. "Unhand him!"

jedipotter
2014-12-10, 10:09 PM
Round 2

Initiative Order: Bat Monster, Vincent Goodman,Dannok, Alduin.

The green bat-like monster opens it's whole underside to form a sort of rough maw filled with shape dagger-like teeth made from it's own body and then starts to slide the sharp teeth into the body of the child under it. It other wise takes no action.

VinGoodman
2014-12-11, 12:58 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Covering the last of the distance between him and the offending creature, the paladin yells out, "Unhand the child!" as he lashes out with the ranseur.

Round 1: Moved 60' last round.
Round 2: MA Move 30'. SA Attack with ranseur.

Ranseur Attack [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Is the creature at -6 AC? (-2 for the grappled condition = 4 dex penalty, and -4 prone)

jedipotter
2014-12-11, 01:45 AM
The creature did not and is not grappling the child. It struck the child with a ray of light, paralyzing the child. Then it landed on the child, but you do not need to ''grapple'' a helpless target.

The creature is also not prone, as it landed. The same way a bird or a dragon is not prone simply because it lands on the ground.

Vincent Goodman hits! His weapon cuts into the green spongy skin of the creature and causes black goo to leak out...

Xenoris
2014-12-11, 05:39 AM
Alduin Malanar
Elf Wizard 1 CG

HP 11/11
AC 13, T 10, FF 10
BAB 0, CMB 0, CMD 17
Fort +1, R +3, W +4
Perc +7 (Alertness), Init +3

Acid Dart (Sp) 1d6 (7 uses) (Ranged Touch Attack)
(I ditched Teleporting to keep to the Core Book)

(R) Shortbow: +3 | 1d6 | x3 [P]

In hand: Shortbow
When is Alduin's turn:

Alduin skirts around to the left of Vincent and a bit back from the action gesturing with his free hand. A globe of acid is formed and fires at great speed the magic holding it's form. Trying to harm the beasts (now exposed) insides.

Attack: 1d20-1 I have assumed +3 for dex -4 shooting into melee = -1 ??
Damage: 1d6
I don't know how I messed up rolling but if you did it for me when it's my turn that'd be awesome :)
"You have chosen the wrong prey beast!"

VinGoodman
2014-12-11, 09:42 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

You can't edit a roll into a post, and you can't adjust the roll code after it's been posted. Not sure if you did either.

Loved your reaction to Vincent's evasion to the philosophical question, by the way.

The paladin frowns at the oozing. "Eew, what manner of beast are you?"

jedipotter
2014-12-11, 01:22 PM
Alduin's Attack!

[roll0]
[roll1]

Alduin's acid falls on the ground, making a small patch of damaged grass.

Smileybastard
2014-12-11, 08:41 PM
Dannok

Dannok kicks and punches at the creature.

Attack1[roll0]
Damage1[roll1]
Attack2[roll2]
Damage2[roll3]
Dannok will shift his position with an intent to flank or flank in the future.

jedipotter
2014-12-11, 10:33 PM
Dannok's second blow hits, sinking deep into the side of the creature and damaging the spongy green fungus that makes up it's body.

Round 3

The creature flaps it's wings frantically to take off.....

......Provoking AoO from Dannok and Vincent Goodman, if they wish to take them........

Xenoris
2014-12-11, 10:37 PM
On seeing the creature try to take off Alduin cries out:

"Vincent and Newcomer! Hold or finish the creature I wish to take samples!"

VinGoodman
2014-12-12, 01:03 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Attack of Opportunity

The paladin swings the ranseur around in a graceful arc, following through with a sharp thrust as the foul beast attempts to flee from the scene.

VinGoodman
2014-12-12, 01:07 AM
Ranseur Crit Confirmation [roll0] Damage [roll1]

Smileybastard
2014-12-12, 06:34 AM
Dannok

Dannok kicks at the beast as it rises and then looks oddly at Alduin.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]

jedipotter
2014-12-12, 03:17 PM
Vincent Goodman's attack hits, cutting into the spongy side of the creature and causing more green goo to fall out.

Dannok

The creature flies up just ten feet off the ground, hovering directly over the elven boy child.......and fires a gray ray of light at Vincent Goodman

[roll0]
[roll1]

The ray of gray light just hits some grass and turns it brown.....

Round 3 (Cont.)
Initiative Order: Bat Monster(moved and attacked), Vincent Goodman, Dannok, Alduin.

Polona Greensight moves forward and throws herself on the ground directly over the elven boy child covering him.

VinGoodman
2014-12-13, 08:55 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Move to try to get flank with the newcomer. +2 to atk if I succeeded. Being 10' away, I hope to be able to do this with my move action without provoking AOO.

In a groove, the paladin shifts and swings his weapon through another arc, before thrusting the weapon yet again from a different angle.

I don't have combat reflex, so I couldn't have taken advantage of it anyways. What the creature was using (SLA?). Does it provoke an AOO? I know melee weapon doesn't, ranged weapon does and casting spells does (usually). I'm hazy on rules outside those three.

Smileybastard
2014-12-13, 09:21 AM
Dannok

Dannok grabs his spade from his backpack and swings at the monstrosity.

Draw weapon as move action

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1] - best guess on damage based on 8 lbs

** edit** forgot the +6 damage for two handed weapon. so 8 damage

jedipotter
2014-12-14, 01:42 AM
After the last hit the creature explodes with a loud 'PoP' and bits of green mold and green goo fall all around.

Polona Greensight casts a healing spell on the young child and he opens his eyes and stands up.

VinGoodman
2014-12-14, 04:46 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

The paladin finishes with a double dragging flourish, partially cleansing the ranseur on the grassy ground in the process. Then, he nods at the priestess in approval, before squatting before the child. "Are you ok? How are you feeling?"

He pauses to give the boy a moment, before continuing. "Can you tell me about those things? Are there more of them around?"

Xenoris
2014-12-14, 05:48 PM
More concerned with studying creature Alduin gives cursory nods to Vincent and Polona and smiles at the boy. Alduin then gestures and his writing utensils float out of his bag and begins sketching what he remembers of the creature on (before it exploded) onto the floating paper.

He then documents all he can about the creature before taking out two vials. He gestures at the goop of the creature on the ground, a spectral mage hand forms and he uses it to brush aside the goop to analyse how it affected the grass, documenting it. Also rubbing the fungusy carcass to see what this does to effect the grass as well. He scoops samples of the goop with the mage hand into the first vial and the fungus into the second as samples to analyse later.

Lastly Alduin casts detect magic over the creature holding the spell until he gains the most information he can about how the creature is magically. Documenting this as well.

Nature: [roll0]
Arcana: [roll1]

While doing all this he ask the newcomer:

So what brings you here newcomer? And what are your thoughts of the events that just transpired? Different perspectives are always useful when coming up against new situations.

Smileybastard
2014-12-14, 06:02 PM
Dannok (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=563745)
Male LG Human Monk, Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/10, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 15, Flat-footed 12, CMD 19, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +4, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 0
Fist (Flurry of blows) 4 (3/3) (1d6+4, x2)
(+2 Dex, +2 Misc)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 12
Condition None

Dannok smiles at the boy and watches Alduin's actions curiously.

He pauses at Alduin's question. "My feet brought me here. I do not know what to make of what happened here beyond the boy is safe."

jedipotter
2014-12-14, 10:17 PM
The elf boy mostly hides behind Polona Greensight. He shakes his head no, and then has her bend over and whispers in Polona's ear.

Polona Greensight "He is fine and happy to be alive. He only saw one.

I can tell you what it is, it's a sporebat. It's one of the hideous plant monsters I mentioned. Created years ago by the baroness. They can often be seen flying about the ruins of Fangwood keep. Though none have ever come so far south as the village before."

Several elves, including several elven guards with swords and drawn bows come rushing over into the field.

The fungus bits and green goo do not seem to have any immediate effect on any of the grass.

Nature: Nothing about the creature looks or seems natural in any way.
Arcana: It's a magically altered plant. With a hunger for living beings. They gray ray was harmful to plants and people, and was most likely necromancy magic.

Nothing about the bits of fungus or goo glows at all.

Xenoris
2014-12-14, 10:34 PM
Finishing up his work Alduin packs everything away and proudly adds to Polona's information.

"The plants have been magically constructed and have a hunger for the living. A most insidious creation. The gray light they emit seems to be necromantic of nature. Most likely to drain the life of a victim to weaken them, before then consuming them.

Newcomer, would you care to name yourself? If you like to join us in our quest you are most welcome. You and your shovel seem most effective in ...uprooting... this plantlike danger."

Alduin chuckles at his joke seemingly much more excited by the prospect of learning more about these creatures than any danger to his life.

Smileybastard
2014-12-14, 10:54 PM
Dannok

Dannok bows. "My name in Dannok, I am a humble handy man." He looks at his spade and replaced it in overstuffed back pack. "I needed the reach."

VinGoodman
2014-12-14, 11:58 PM
The paladin bows slightly to the circumstantial ally. "I am Vincent, of the Order of the Red Knight. We are on our way to investigate the Keep. If the Keep is indeed the source of this monstrosity and and others of similar ilk, then my work has just become more pressing." Vincent studies the monk, and decides to extend the invitation. "I do not know if you have other pressing business. Your help could swing the tide against what we may encounter, as you've already demonstrated here. Would you join us?"

Smileybastard
2014-12-15, 06:19 AM
Dannok

Dannok nods at the knight. "I have no pressing business and would be honored to join you in your quest."

jedipotter
2014-12-16, 02:26 AM
Vendolori Zelstrirrn "I'm Vendolori Zelstrirrn. I wish to tank all of you for your aid to the People. Sporbats can be quite the menace, but none have ever attacked so near the village before. This is not a good sign." says an elven male in green robes.

VinGoodman
2014-12-16, 09:46 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

"Well met, Vendolori." The paladin greets the robed elf. "We are glad to be of assistance. In fact, we are on our way to investigate the Ruins. If we find more of the sporebats, we will assist in removing the ones we find. We would welcome any information you have on these creatures or the Keep that may help us with our investigations."

Vincent looks over to the guards holding bows as he continues. "Do you by any chance have a spare bow in storage, and some arrows as well? Such a weapon would be of great assistance in fighting these winged creatures, if they should take flight."

jedipotter
2014-12-17, 03:37 AM
Vendolori Zelstrirrn "Yes, Fangwood Keep is a vile and evil place. Covered all around with abomination plant creatures. Such as the sporebat."

One of the elves in green robes brings over a bow and quiver of arrows.

Xenoris
2014-12-17, 05:28 AM
Alduin steps forward smiling at the elf handing Vincent the bow and nodding his approval.

"Thank you greatly. I am Aludin Malanar, son of Eldin Malanar High Mage of Myth Dranor. You may have heard of him or my family.

We intend to dispatch this evil that threatens you so. Any help you give us will surely not go to waste. As such if you have any scrolls that could be of use I would gladly use the weave of magic against the foul denizens of the Keep."

Alduin will take any items offered by the guards otherwise he say the following

"If not, I believe we have all we need to proceed"

The next will be said regardless

"Take good care of the boy. At your leave Polona"

VinGoodman
2014-12-17, 11:50 AM
"Thank you for the bow and arrows. I shall see to it that each of these arrows fly to those who are deserving of it." The paladin slings the bow and the quiver across his shoulders as he exchanges a few more words with Vendolori, for any other information he may have to offer on the Keep. As the conversations wind down, he nods at Alduin's parting words. "Indeed, we should take our leave. The sooner we can resolve the problems at the Keep, the sooner we can be rid of the menacing sporebats and whatever other foul beasts it threatens to unleash."

jedipotter
2014-12-17, 04:31 PM
Vendolori Zelstrirrn "I have my hold of scrolls." He hands over to Alduin a set of small scrolls wrapped tightly in twine.

Protection from evil
Mount
Detect Undead X3
Hypnotism
Dancing Lantern

Carrion Compa
Commune with Birds x3
Animal Aspect

Smileybastard
2014-12-17, 10:21 PM
Dannok

Dannok listens intently as everyone talks and exchanges bows.

Xenoris
2014-12-18, 06:28 AM
Alduins eyes light up as he thumbs through the scrolls discovering how many they are.

"Thank you greatly for the scrolls Vendolori. I wish I had the time to make copies for my own spellbook. Alas I will liberal with their use in dispatching the current threat. You will not regret gracing us with gifts of such value."

Alduin quickly, but delicately and gracefully inserts the scrolls into his scroll case neatly hidden in his robes for easy access. With a flourish of the robes so the case can no longer be seen he turns to Polona.

"How much longer do you believe it is to the Keep?"

jedipotter
2014-12-18, 04:41 PM
Polona Greensight "As we have yet to even leave the village....we still have several hours of walking ahead of us. And there is no path or trail to follow. So it's hiking over rough, wooded country. We had best get moving."

Polona Greensight quickly moves along the wide open field and heads into the thick evergreen woods...keeping a bit of a slow pace so that everyone can follow and keep up.

VinGoodman
2014-12-18, 04:52 PM
Vincent does his best to keep up with Polona, impressed with the ease with which she is keeping the pace. Every so often, he looks over to the other two companions, making sure they are able to keep up.

Xenoris
2014-12-19, 08:19 AM
Alduin trails at the back keeping a lose pace with the rest of the group. Meanwhile he is checking his surrounds trying to see if there is any discenable changes to the plant life and they start nearing the Keep.

So Dannok, tell us a little more about yourself. You seem more of a traveler than the a regular 'handy man'. As well as that you were much more willing to face danger than any tradesman I've come into contact with recently.

VinGoodman
2014-12-19, 01:04 PM
Vincent's ears perk up at the conversation, and he tries to eavesdrop to gleam any information he can about the new comrade in the party. After all, one never knows when the information might come in handy in a tight spot...

Smileybastard
2014-12-19, 04:23 PM
Dannok

Dannok easily keeps up and seems to be enjoying the hike.

"I am a wanderer as well. I wander from place to place doing what I can to help people and accept what they can pay as payment. I seek to learn of others, myself and the world."

jedipotter
2014-12-20, 02:05 PM
It's another three hours of hiking through the dense forest, when Polona Greensight stops in a small grassy clearing next to a stone pole covered in runes.

"This is one of the markers. It's a warning to turn back, that there is danger ahead. We are not far from the keep now"

Right on cue a gray colored sporebat glides from above through the lower tree tops about twenty feet above the ground, flying in a straight line right over the stone pole. It does not yet seem to react to your group as far as any of you can tell.

Smileybastard
2014-12-20, 05:33 PM
Dannok

Dannok eyes the sporebat and touches the pole. "Who put up these poles?"

VinGoodman
2014-12-20, 09:03 PM
Vincent sighs as he watches the abomination fly over them. "Much as I would love to put an arrow into that foul beast, it would be an unwise move when we have so little information to work with. I propose we venture further in, but quietly, and try to learn a bit about this area."

jedipotter
2014-12-21, 03:16 AM
Polona Greensight "We put up the poles. The elves of Frostdale. To mark the edge of the danger area. Most of the plants are not very mobile. Only a few like the sporebat can move around with ease.

Still, few from our dale even come this far north anymore....."

Smileybastard
2014-12-21, 06:57 AM
Dannok

Dannok nods. His eyes open wide when he realizes Polona is saying the flying creatures are plants. He looks around more with wonder than fear.

Perception [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-12-22, 09:42 PM
As far as Dannok can tell, all of the nearby plants are normal looking plants.

It's only another 30 minutes of walking when the forest starts to thin out, and then the forest ends into some very over grown plant filled fields.

In the distance, alone on a high overgrown hill, stands the massive ruins of a stone keep.

VinGoodman
2014-12-23, 01:10 PM
Vincent calls the group to a halt as they near the edge of the forest. The paladin studies the new scenary ahead of him, while feverishly working his mind for the safest continuation.

He turns to the wandering man. "Please stay close to Priestess Poloma, and make sure no harm visits her. I will guard from the rear with the bow, but close enough to be able to come and assist you, should danger comes. Dannok, it may be best if you keep pace between Dannok and I, to be ready to assist either of us at need and yet to lessen the chance you be surprised upon."

With those suggested instructions, he lags back some 25' from Dannon and Poloma, and the grip on the bow tightens as he prepares to continue on.

Smileybastard
2014-12-23, 02:27 PM
Dannok

Dannok nods and walks between the two, but closer to Poloma.

Xenoris
2014-12-24, 07:04 AM
Alduin's eyes light up at the sight of the keep with an eagerness and total disregard for potential danger.

"I yearn to run straight into the keep and unlock it's mysteries. However I will heed your caution Vincent and stay in the middle of the party while we travel."

Alduin moves in the middle of the party and follows the group while Polona is in the lead and Dannock behind her.

jedipotter
2014-12-26, 11:04 PM
The forest gives way to the grasslands around the keep. Most of the grass is a good five to six feet tall, and greatly obscures most of your visions beyond a couple feet. You can only see the top of one of the towers of the keep in the distance to get you going in the right direction.

And....Perception check time.....

Smileybastard
2014-12-26, 11:10 PM
Dannok

Dannok walks forward, head held high as they approach the tower.

Perception [roll0]

jedipotter
2014-12-27, 10:46 PM
The winds blow the tall grasses and plants around, making quite a noise....

[roll0]

Though Dannok:

Easily spots the massive and long ''snake'' that seems to be made out of long bits of grass all twisted together, as it slithers through the tall grass about ten feet away, off to the left, coming towards the group.

Smileybastard
2014-12-27, 11:17 PM
Dannok

Dannok points to the left and prepares to intercept. "Careful. There is a snake like creature to the left."

He holds his action in preparation to intercept it if it attacks.

VinGoodman
2014-12-28, 05:41 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

On ground: Longbow

Vincent looks over to where his companion pointed and, realizing it's closing in quickly, drops his longbow and readies his ranseur to strike at the snake-like creature.

Good eyes Dannok!

Perception [roll0]
Initiative [roll1]

Ranseur Attack [roll2] Damage [roll3]

jedipotter
2014-12-30, 02:03 AM
Vincents swing misses.....

...but the snake made out of intertwined grass does rise up to strike!

round 1

[roll0]

The snake made of grass goes to bite Vincent!

[roll1]
[roll2]

Smileybastard
2014-12-30, 09:49 AM
Dannok

Dannok intercepts the snake and attacks.

Held action
Attack [roll0] Fist
Damage[roll1]

jedipotter
2014-12-31, 12:03 AM
Dannok hit's! His forceful blow causing lots of the blades of grass that make up the snake-like form to fall away from the main body....but not all of them.

Smileybastard
2014-12-31, 06:53 AM
Dannok

Dannok continues his assault of the grassy snake.

Initiative [roll0]
On Dannok's initiative he will do a flurry of blows.

Attack 1[roll1]
Damage 1[roll2]
Attack 2[roll3]
Damage 2[roll4]

VinGoodman
2014-12-31, 01:25 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Undeterred, the paladin gives way to the strange snake as he maneuvers and brings the ranseur around for another strike.

FA 5' step away from snake. SA attack with ranseur. No move action. I will take the 5' step in a manner that comes closer to giving me flank with my ally Dannok.

jedipotter
2015-01-02, 11:42 PM
Vincent's swing misses and the grass snake twists out of the way.....

Round 2

The grassy snake rises up to strike......but Dannok is quicker!

VinGoodman
2015-01-06, 12:34 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Vincent keeps the ranseur moving as he continues the combative dance with the strange snake-like creature.

MA Moving to flank position. SA ranseur attack.

VinGoodman
2015-01-06, 12:37 AM
The ranseur lashes out and strikes true!

In case it applies, here's the crit confirmation.

Crit check [roll0] [roll1]

jedipotter
2015-01-06, 01:52 AM
Vincent Goodman strike is true! With a sudden rush of wind the snake made of intertwined grass flies apart into dozens of blades of grass.

Polona Greensight "You are not hurt? Did it bite you? You feel the sting of poison?"

VinGoodman
2015-01-08, 12:29 AM
Vincent blushes at Polona's attention. "I do not think I was hurt. That was truly a strange beast, I am glad we were able to best it." The paladin pats the traveler monk on the shoulder. "You fought valiantly. I am glad you have chosen to join us on this quest. Come, and let us see what other evil infests this place before us." Vincent flashes a smile at Polona, picks up his bow, and returns to his position in the rear of the party.

Smileybastard
2015-01-08, 06:20 AM
Dannok

Dannok nods his eyes wide. "This place is full of wonders."

jedipotter
2015-01-08, 11:53 PM
In the pale winter light ahead you can see a clearing. In the clearing are the ruins of what must once have been a very impressive stone construction, now sadly allowed to fall into ruin and disrepair.
You can see the remains of a curtain wall surrounding a large hall with smaller buildings behind it.
Towers once stood at each corner of the wall. Very little of the structure is still standing. Each tower perhaps reaches 10' to 15' high, as does the tower in the centre. Judging by the amount of rubble around this is only a portion of the original height. All the cold grey stone is badly weathered and overgrown with mosses and ivy. Shrubs grow in what was once the courtyard. The gateway to the ruinis on the opposite side of the compound to you. All is quiet.

Just ahead is the stone shell of an stonework out house. The walls reach about seven feet high, but no long enclose the whole building. The floor is very uneven as a result of the rubble strewn around. Dried dead stalks of large weeds fill the ruin as do a number of thick bramble bushes.

Perception

Xenoris
2015-01-09, 07:43 AM
Extremely impressive the both of you, even more so for humans! Are you sure there is no elvish blood in either of your lines?

Alduin begins muttering
Unfortunately I can't inspect the creature as I cannot tell it's body from the grass surrounding it. Should I head back and make more of an effort?

Alduin settles for once again flourishing his sheets of paper and ink allowing them to hover with prestidigitation, while sketching and detailing the snake as well what he observed. Finishing up, Alduin begins speaking again with reknewed excitement.

More importantly I wonder what those ruins conceal!
Alduin moves forward and tries to see what he can both around the structure and through it's gaps.

Initiative: [roll0]

My apologies I was away for Christmas and didn't tell anyone. Thank you all for forging ahead and not getting annoyed at me.

Smileybastard
2015-01-09, 07:00 PM
Dannok

Dannok examines the ruins from a distance. "So you think these ruins are the cause of these bizarre creatures?"

Perception [roll0]

VinGoodman
2015-01-09, 09:53 PM
The paladin looks contemplative as he answers. "That, I do not know, Dannok. However, the Order consider this place of sufficient importance to send me to investigate. The sage and Alduin here also consider this a location of interest. The citizens of a nearby town reports menacing creatures originating from this area. Coincidence to bring these three phenomenons together, but such convergences more often point to something going on, that cannot be ignored."

Vincent looks over to the ruins, still a small distance away. "I suspect we'll get some answers when we get there. Whether we survive long enough to respond to what we find, that I cannot be as certain."

VinGoodman
2015-01-09, 09:55 PM
Oops, forgot the perception roll.

Perception [roll0]

jedipotter
2015-01-10, 02:12 AM
[roll0]

Vincent notices nothing....

Dannok's keen senses however....

There is something ruseling around under the large thorny bushes just ten feet to the left

Smileybastard
2015-01-10, 04:50 PM
Dannok

Dannok holds one of his hands up to indicate people to stop and then holding a finger to his lips to indicate for them to be quiet. He then points to the large thorny bushes just ten feet to the left where he sees something.

VinGoodman
2015-01-11, 01:25 AM
Vincent nods in response to Dannok, and hold his ranseur at the ready as he studies where the fellow traveler pointed.

Xenoris
2015-01-12, 03:31 AM
Alduin motions with his head for Dannok to investigate while he halts and curls his hand poised to strike with acid if need be.

Smileybastard
2015-01-12, 06:11 AM
Dannok

Dannok nods, pulls out his spade and advances towards the sounds.

Moves forward holding his action to attack if the creature attacks.
Stealth [roll0]
perception[roll1]

jedipotter
2015-01-12, 03:31 PM
[roll0]

At first, Dannok does not notice anything.....but then:

Parts of the bushes move and twist, and five three foot tall humanoid creatures step out. They are made of interlocking leafless branches, making a humanoid shape. They have long sharp ''teeth'' and ''claws''.

Polona Greensight "Twig Blights! I have not seen one for years!"

The Twig Blights start at 5 feet away from Dannok, and start to move forward. Everyone else is back 10 feet away, at the start of

Round 1

Initiative!

[roll1]

I'd guess you don't really want to just stand there and be a target and ''holding his action to attack if the creature attacks'', as then you can't attack until after the creature attacks. You could just roll Initiative normally...

VinGoodman
2015-01-12, 08:01 PM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

With the ranseur at the ready, Vincent prepares to engage the little critters. "Are these created beings as well?" The paladin shakes his head as he begins his combat form. "What a waste of talent."

Initiative [roll0]

Smileybastard
2015-01-12, 08:25 PM
Dannok

Dannok begins to move erratically and swings his spade at one of the creatures.

Fighting defensively -4 to hit and +2 AC - AC is now 17
Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

VinGoodman
2015-01-13, 02:48 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

Seeing Dannok engage the blights, the paladin begins circling the enemy as he looks for openings and lashes out with his ranseur.

Manuever to stay 10' away, circling to work towards flanking position with Dannok. Assuming not quite there yet. Strike with ranseur.

Ranseur [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Xenoris
2015-01-14, 03:29 AM
Alduin Malanar
Elf Wizard 1 CG

HP 11/11
AC 13, T 10, FF 10
BAB 0, CMB 0, CMD 17
Fort +1, R +3, W +4
Perc +1, Init +4

Acid Dart (Sp) 1d6 (6/7 uses) (Ranged Touch Attack)
(R) Shortbow: +3 | 1d6 | x3 [P]

Alduin moves into a position to provide backup and fires acid at the blight that isn't being flanked.
"We'll see if this doesn't root you in your tracks" Alduin taunts at the twig blight.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

jedipotter
2015-01-14, 07:21 PM
Dannok's strike chops one of the twig blights in half.

Vincent Goodman's strike also hacks one twig blight to wood pieces.

Alduin Malanar covers the twig blight and it falls part into a pile of wood.

The two Twig Blights left will both attempt to claw at Dannok

[roll0] [roll1]

[roll2] [roll3]

Fort saves if needed:
[roll4]
[roll5]

One Twig Blight claw rips into Dannok's arm Damage 3 plus 1 Strength damage

Smileybastard
2015-01-14, 07:57 PM
Dannok

Dannok drops the spade and does a kick, punch combo on the closest creature

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage 1 [roll1]

Confirm [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

Attack 2 [roll4]
Damage 2 [roll5]

Confirm [roll6]
Damage [roll7]

jedipotter
2015-01-14, 10:43 PM
Dannok's combo reduces one of the Twig blights to nothing but splinters. The other one is unhurt....

VinGoodman
2015-01-16, 06:43 AM
Human Paladin 1 LG

HP 11/11
AC 18, T 14, FF 14
BAB +1, CMB +3, CMD 17
Fort +4, R +4, W +3
Perc +1, Init +4

Detect Evil, at will
Smite Evil 1/1

The paladin continues his dizzying maneuvers with his ranseur, which flows nonstop under his expert handling. As Vincent works his way to the last twig blight on the opposite side of Dannok, he lashes out once again with the weapon.

Continue maneuvering. 10' away still and now flanking with Dannok. Strike with ranseur.

Ranseur [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

jedipotter
2015-01-16, 02:22 PM
Vincent Goodman's ranseur misses the Twig Blight....

The Twig Blight rustles it's branches loudly...