PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Class/System Concept] Magic has its price (Non-Vancian casting, help needed)

Xuldarinar
2014-12-03, 01:50 AM
I have only a concept I want to build around, a non-Vancian casting class that relies on their ability scores as their resources. Im thinking of giving it to the dark tapestry in terms of flavor but I want to see what ideas arise.

So, I turn to the playground for this. How do I shape such a system? Does anyone have any ideas as to how to tackle this? I've seen where things do straight damage to wisdom or constitution but it is such a small pool, something that cannot compare to can be supported by the Vancain system. A point based is interesting, and effective, but doesn't reflect what I want to accomplish because no matter how much you use you are as effective as you were before.

Edit/Update: More than a concept to bounce off now. Im considering something of a point-based casting system for the class. The scaling of effects, both in costs and in what points are spent upon, I'll need to figure out (help appreciated).

When a member of the class 'casts a spell', they expend a number of points based on the level of power of the ability. After x number of points have been spent, they take ability damage to the associated ability score. The higher the level, the more points can be spent between taking ability score damage. The greater the ability score, the greater the pool effectively is.

Given that I intend to build a class, I just went ahead and dropped the skeleton here. Need a system and I feel I should build it around said system so, no work thus far.
???

Hit Die: d?

CLASS SKILLS
The ???'s class skills are .
Skill Ranks per Level: ? + Int modifier.

Table 1-1: The ???
Level Base Attack Bonus Fort Save Ref Save Will Save Special
1st +? +? +? +?
2nd +? +? +? +?
3rd +? +? +? +?
4th +? +? +? +?
5th +? +? +? +?
6th +? +? +? +?
7th +? +? +? +?
8th +? +? +? +?
9th +? +? +? +?
10th +? +? +? +?
11th +? +? +? +?
12th +? +? +? +?
13th +? +? +? +?
14th +? +? +? +?
15th +? +? +? +?
16th +? +? +? +?
17th +? +? +? +?
18th +? +? +? +?
19th +? +? +? +?
20th +? +? +? +?

CLASS FEATURES
All of the following are class features of the ???.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:

Kioku
2014-12-04, 08:42 PM
I never got to use any of this (https://sites.google.com/site/strainedmagic/strain-magic), and probably never will, so if you want to see if it's adaptable to your purposes, feel free.