PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Re: Pathfinder- Monk Vow of Poverty...

shaggy1987
2014-12-03, 05:01 AM
I was wondering about the seconde part of the vow.

The monk taking a vow of poverty must never own more than six possessions—... ... ...significance to the monk). The monk can never keep more money or wealth on his person than he needs to feed, bathe, and shelter himself for 1 week in modest accommodations.
does a waterskin, a pice of soap and 7 Trail Rations count towards the six possessions or towards the money and wealth for the 1 week or are one or more of them to fancy for this vow?
do they act as possessions? they look more like consumables.
It's just vaguely written.

Abd al-Azrad
2014-12-03, 06:04 AM
Waterskin and Piece of Soap are both possessions by my thoughts. Everything is a consumable by the definition that it is eventually replaced.

"Food" and "money" should probably qualify as exceptions, but I'm not really convinced that storing / stockpiling food fits the spirit of the Vow. Try reading over a bit of, say, Taoist mythology, to get an inspiration of what you're supposed to focus on while living under a Vow of Poverty. These folks spend a great deal of time wandering from town to town, foraging and begging for food, sleeping under the stars, and devoting all their focus to shedding earthly connections. Questions like, "where will my next meal come from," tend to lead to wealth accumulation.

NOT that I'm saying anything specific about Taoism as a religion - I don't understand it beyond the face value. My purpose is to form an example. If you approach the Vow of Poverty by looking for six items you can't live without, you are still focusing on possessions and their value.

Psyren
2014-12-03, 09:21 AM
There is one item entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Kit-Monk-s) that includes the soap, rations and waterskin. Even though it has multiple components, by RAW it is a single item.

shaggy1987
2014-12-03, 04:47 PM
There is one item entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/goods-and-services/tools-kits#TOC-Kit-Monk-s) that includes the soap, rations and waterskin. Even though it has multiple components, by RAW it is a single item.
It doesn't metter if it's one item. it's about possessions. for example a monk's outfit. exists of a pair of sandals, breeches, and a shirt, and is bound together with sashes.
the pair of sandals counds as one, and the set of clothing (breeches, shirt, and sashes) as another. One item, 2 posessions.
another example is a Mess kit by RAW one item. the bowl in it is used as a possesion in the example of the Vow of Poverty.

Psyren
2014-12-04, 01:17 AM
It doesn't metter if it's one item. it's about possessions. for example a monk's outfit. exists of a pair of sandals, breeches, and a shirt, and is bound together with sashes.
the pair of sandals counds as one, and the set of clothing (breeches, shirt, and sashes) as another. One item, 2 posessions.
another example is a Mess kit by RAW one item. the bowl in it is used as a possesion in the example of the Vow of Poverty.

You're perfectly free to interpret it that way, but Ultimate Equipment has the Monk's Kit as an item.