PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class A psionic jade phoenix mage

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 05:27 AM
Im attempting a 1 to 1 conversion of the Jade Phoenix mage into a martial/psionic progressing class instead of a martial/arcane. Here's what i've got so far.

Anything that isn't touched upon remains the same.

Requirements: Replace Knowledge (Arcana) with Knowledge (Psionics). Abillity to cast second level spells with abillity to manifest second level powers.

Skills: Since errata adds all knowledge skills and spellcraft to the Jade Phoenix Mage, replace Spellcraft with Psicraft.

Spellcasting: Replace Spellcasting progression with Manifesting. Dead levels remain the same.

Class Features: Arcane (Psionic) Wrath im not sure how to handle (Need suggestions). Mystic Phoenix Stance would be changed to DR/Evil = 1+pp spent up to 9 or capped to manifester level, wichever is lower. leave the rest untouched. Empowering strike left as is. Firebird stance is a bit trickier. Perhaps something like "spend X amount of PP (Up to your manifester level) when using this stance. Gain flaming aura that does Yd6 amount of damage in a 10ft radius Y being half the amount of PP spent rounded up, Reflex half and DC would be based on Manifesting stat, damge is half fire half untyped.

So, any suggestions?

Heres the current write up https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g7M4znzgsmBV7c6NX5Vw6LtNdHpFecJM-jZ0NhFi88g/edit?usp=sharing

Sian
2014-12-03, 05:34 AM
primary suggestion would be to use the Homebrew forum ...

Crake
2014-12-03, 07:23 AM
I made a jade phoenix mage psionic adaptation, although, it was completely refluffed around perfect mind and body. These are the changes:

Prereqs: 2nd level psionic power instead of 2nd level arcane spell, knowledge psionics instead of knowledge arcana, Autohypnosis instead of knowledge religion

Spellcasting: swap for psionics progression

Maneuvers: Diamond mind and iron heart instead of desert wind and devoted spirit.

Psi-Strke: Change 1d10 per spell level to 1d4+1d4 per power point spent (up to ML as normal for manifesting a power)

Omnipresence Alpha: Refluffed to gaining a stronger connection with the psionic flow of the universe.

Precient Stance: Instead of 2x spell level, DR X/Chaotic equal to number of power points spent, maximum DR10/Chaotic

Empowering Strike: works same, but for manifesting instead of spellcasting. Requires expending your psionic focus

Stance of Perfect Self: Untyped +2 bonus to str, dex and con, in addition, spend a number of power points and gain fast healing 1/3 power points spent for 1 minute (capped at ML as normal for manifesting a power)

Quickening strike: works same, but for manifesting instead of spellcasting. Requires expending your psionic focus

Omnipotence Omega: Replace with reality revision 1/week as a psi-like ability, only within the normal limits (no greater effect based on DM discretion), and no ability to create psionic items, or non-psionic items up to 25,000gp. No xp cost either.

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 11:40 AM
@Crake That is an excellent conversion though i must admit im not a fan of some of the changes, as im attempting a mostly 1 to 1 adaptation, still replacing Devoted Spirit with Diamond mind is outright brilliant, not a fan of Iron Heart for desert wind though. Also Empowering and Quickening Strikes requiring focus is a fair trade. Will provide my current write up in OP.

Crake
2014-12-03, 12:53 PM
@Crake That is an excellent conversion though i must admit im not a fan of some of the changes, as im attempting a mostly 1 to 1 adaptation, still replacing Devoted Spirit with Diamond mind is outright brilliant, not a fan of Iron Heart for desert wind though. Also Empowering and Quickening Strikes requiring focus is a fair trade. Will provide my current write up in OP.

Yeah, fair enough, I wanted to change what jade phoenix mage was all about, because I'm not a huge fan of the fluff behind it, and I imagine psionics as being about perfection of the mind, while martial initiators being about perfection of the body, so it made sense to combine the two, which is also where my discipline choices came from, diamond mind (perfection of the mind) and iron heart (perfection of the body).

Then the fluff also necessitated changing firebird stance and emerald immolation, so I made some things that I thought would fit the motif, with the capstone I think being much more flexible to use rather than "i blow myself up"

I also prefer to keep as much granularity as possible, which is why i used 1d4+1d4/power point spend for arcane wrath, comes out to roughly the same average as 1d10/spell level, but follows more traditional psionic conventions which allow a powerpoint per manifester level.

Amechra
2014-12-03, 01:10 PM
But Crake, isn't that a completely new PrC by this point?

(You should totally post it in its own thread, all written out pretty-like.)

More on topic:

Psionic Wrath could benefit from some rewording; how about...

Psionic Wrath (Su): You may channel psionic might into your melee attacks.

As a swift action, you may spend power points up to your manifester level; if you do so, you gain a +4 bonus on a single attack or martial strike, as well as +1d10 damage on that attack; every 2 power points you spend on this class feature past the first increases this damage by +1d10. Both of these bonuses must be applied to an attack made before the beginning of your next turn; otherwise, the benefits are wasted.

To keep Mystic Phoenix Stance in line with how it is on the Arcane side (and with other powers), I'd suggest replacing the last three sentences with the following:

"In addition, upon entering this stance you may spend power points up to your manifester level. If you do so, you gain DR 2/Evil for as long as you remain in this stance; every 2 power points you spend on this class feature past the first increases this DR by 1."

I'd suggest having Firebird Stance follow the same progression of stating the basic benefit (aura that deals 1d6 damage, half fire, half phrenic; for every 2 points you spend past the first, the damage increases by 1d6). I just think it's cleaner, and it better reflects the progression of available spell slots.

Everything else looks fine to me.

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 02:52 PM
I was considering placing Autohypnosis on the class skill list as well. Any thoughts on that?

Crake
2014-12-03, 02:58 PM
But Crake, isn't that a completely new PrC by this point?

(You should totally post it in its own thread, all written out pretty-like.)

Yeah, it pretty much is, it was for a player in one of my games, he wanted a psion/intiator prc, so that's what I put together.

I did post it this forum back when I was designing it intially, you can see it here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?332952-Jade-Phoenix-Mage-Psionic-Adaptation)

Amechra
2014-12-03, 03:07 PM
I was considering placing Autohypnosis on the class skill list as well. Any thoughts on that?

Works for me.

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 03:14 PM
Added Autohypnosis to the list of class skills which might very well be the last change i make, so im very interested in what peoples verdict on this is, are we still in "adaptation" territory or are the changes severe enough that we are going over to homebrew, how likely would you be to accept this in your games as a substitute or as intended a variant of the JPM?

Ethelesin
2014-12-06, 02:08 PM
Feel bad for bumping this but i really need feedback.