PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Spell exchange question

Morgan_Scott82
2007-03-26, 04:59 PM
This is what I expect to be a fairly simple question however as I've had very little experience with Sorcerers in the past I've never thought about it. Now I have a player who's elected to play a sorcerer and it may become significant I thought I would appeal to the judgment of the forum public.

At higher levels, sorcerers are able to exchange old spells that may no longer be useful (like Sleep or Color Spray) for other spells of the same level.

The SRD states:

Upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn A new spell in place of one he already knows. In effect, the sorcerer “loses” the old spell in exchange for the new one. The new spell’s level must be the same as that of the spell being exchanged, and it must be at least two levels lower than the highest-level sorcerer spell the sorcerer can cast. A sorcerer may swap only a single spell at any given level, and must choose whether or not to swap the spell at the same time that he gains new spells known for the level. Emphasis mine

Is that A singular as in a sorcerer may exchange ONE spell at fouth level and ONE additional spell at each even level or is that A more general meaning the sorcerer can exchange as many spells as he wants as long as the spells being exchanged meets the other requirements (exchanged for a spell of the same level, and two levels lower than the highest level spell he can cast)?

Jasdoif
2007-03-26, 05:01 PM
You can exchange a single spell at the appropriate levels.

Morgan_Scott82
2007-03-26, 05:06 PM
Wow, its explicitly stated in the text I quoted. I feel like a moron. I read that several times and missed it every single one, I guess its easy to overlook something when you have an enthusiastic player arguing the against you.

Thanks.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 05:24 PM
I much prefer the system NWN uses: Unlimited exchanges at any level up.

melchizedek
2007-03-26, 05:33 PM
That may be a better system in terms of mechanics, but it doesn't fit well with the flavor of the sorcerer. It seems to me that the reason a sorcerer would unlearn a spell is that he stopped using it, and therefore forgot how to use it. He focused on learning a new spell instead. I don't particularly like even that explanation in terms of flavor, but it makes more sense than being able to exchange any spell you want at level up.

Aquillion
2007-03-27, 12:44 AM
I would consider using more flexible exchanges, though, as a variant rule for new players.

Alternatively, how is this? When levelling up, a sorcerer can swap out any spell that they have not cast since their last level up. It matches the flavor exactly, and will naturally encourage new players to look at what they're using and adjust accordingly. And it involves a tradeoff, since they basically have to make one of their spell slots totally unused for an entire level if they want to change it.

This would still result in sorcerers using more level-limited spells like Sleep, though...

melchizedek
2007-03-27, 12:49 AM
That makes sense. It also makes sense for someone to stop using a spell when it stops being effective (like Sleep at higher levels.) It makes it more difficult to trade out a spell, but not necessarily impossible.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-03-27, 02:50 AM
I would consider using more flexible exchanges, though, as a variant rule for new players.

Alternatively, how is this? When levelling up, a sorcerer can swap out any spell that they have not cast since their last level up. It matches the flavor exactly, and will naturally encourage new players to look at what they're using and adjust accordingly. And it involves a tradeoff, since they basically have to make one of their spell slots totally unused for an entire level if they want to change it.

This would still result in sorcerers using more level-limited spells like Sleep, though...

Because sorcerers aren't penalized enough... right. I will admit to liking the flavor part of it.