View Full Version : Rules Q&A Spell casting while Grappling or Pinned

Spazztick
2014-12-03, 07:43 AM
I've been reading up a bit on the whole grappling ordeal in 3.5, it's been a few years since I've played anything other than pathfinder and so I was quite rusty on it. In fact I'm not sure if I've encountered such issues as I am having now.

Scenario: Orc has a halfling pinned to the ground with his hand over his mouth. (Following the rules of being pinned, "At your opponent’s option, you may also be unable to speak.")

When you're in a grapple, and have a target pinned. I know that they must make a concentration check DC 20+ spell level to be able to cast.

1) If they cast a spell do they provoke an AoO from the one whose got them pinned?
If so--(Can they cast defensively while in such a dilemma?)

2) If the spell they try to cast is a full-round spell, do the attacks on the following round from the grappler force them to make concentration checks to avoid losing the spell, or is the spell already finished casting on the previous round?
If so--(Does each attack require a separate concentration check, or do they all get coupled together for one check?)

I think thats it, thanks for your time.

Psyren
2014-12-03, 09:50 AM
1) Sort of. Usually it's academic, because grappling creatures (including your opponent who is controlling the grapple) do not threaten squares, so he can't AoO you for trying.

2) A full-round spell is started and finished on your turn. so the grappler's attacks aren't relevant. If you mean a one-round spell, then any damage you take during their turn would force another concentration check, in addition to the one you had to make when you started casting it on yuor turn.

Necroticplague
2014-12-03, 10:02 AM
1) Sort of. Usually it's academic, because grappling creatures (including your opponent who is controlling the grapple) do not threaten squares, so he can't AoO you for trying.

1)subnote1:Unless they're holding onto you using Improvedd Grab, in which case, yes, they can.

Aracor
2014-12-03, 11:10 AM
You cannot try to cast a full round spell while grappling, nor can you cast a spell that has somatic components.

Special Attacks, SRD: Options while grappling (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm)
Cast a Spell

You can attempt to cast a spell while grappling or even while pinned (see below), provided its casting time is no more than 1 standard action, it has no somatic component, and you have in hand any material components or focuses you might need. Any spell that requires precise and careful action is impossible to cast while grappling or being pinned. If the spell is one that you can cast while grappling, you must make a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level) or lose the spell. You don’t have to make a successful grapple check to cast the spell.