PDA

View Full Version : Ur-Priest RKV

torrasque666
2014-12-03, 08:27 AM
So I was wondering if using Ur-Priest to qualify for RKV would be a good idea. After all, technically an Ur-Priest doesn't need to not worship a god to qualify.

Probably something like Human Paragon 1(With the necessary skills as its chosen skills, plus various others)/Crusader 4/Ur-Priest 2/RKV 10/Crusader +3

Obviously going to use Able learner.

EDIT: Removed the last two levels of Paragon. Not necessary.

Vaz
2014-12-03, 08:50 AM
The fluff of an UrPriest essentially requires you to not believe in gods - honestly, the exact opposite.

If you ignore fluff prerequisites, then yes, an UrPriest can qualify.

Crake
2014-12-03, 08:56 AM
The fluff of an UrPriest essentially requires you to not believe in gods - honestly, the exact opposite.

or alternatively change the fluff of rkv

torrasque666
2014-12-03, 08:58 AM

Says "Ur-Priests despise gods." So technically as long as you despise more than one god your golden :smallbiggrin:
I was basically going to fluff it as stealing from all but​ their deity.

Rebel7284
2014-12-03, 10:31 AM
While the flavor is difficult to justify without replacing it. This combination makes for some amazing gishing.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 10:38 AM

Don't believe in the gods? If an Ur Priest didn't believe in the gods wouldn't they be constantly surprised at all this divine magic they were siphoning from them?

I'm pretty sure believing in gods is one of the core principles involved in being an Ur Priest.

torrasque666
2014-12-03, 10:43 AM
Don't believe in the gods? If an Ur Priest didn't believe in the gods wouldn't they be constantly surprised at all this divine magic they were siphoning from them?

I'm pretty sure believing in gods is one of the core principles involved in being an Ur Priest.
Aye, its "I don't like you, but I still want to use your stuff. I'ma steal it instead." not "Nope. Gods aren't real."

Antipode
2014-12-03, 12:53 PM
If an Ur Priest didn't believe in the gods wouldn't they be constantly surprised at all this divine magic they were siphoning from them?

I don't know about you, but this sounds like a recipe for a hilarious character to me.

Red Fel
2014-12-03, 12:58 PM
As far as I can tell, this boils down to a fluff conflict.

Ur-Priest's fluff says that you forsake the gods, instead choosing to take their power by force.

RKV's fluff says that you are sworn to the service of the Church of Wee Jas, and serve at the command of the Ruby Sorceress and her clergy.

The two are in direct conflict. No loyal servant of Wee Jas would take from her what wasn't given, and nobody who forsook the service of the gods would willingly bind himself to the service of one so hierarchical and demanding of obedience.

That said, as others have mentioned, it's an easy resolution - refluff either one. Either change the Ur-Priest slightly, so that he is simply stealing from gods in general, and not Wee Jas specifically, or change the RKV, so it's more like a "Paladin of an ideal" than a "servant of Wee Jas."

torrasque666
2014-12-03, 01:01 PM
As far as I can tell, this boils down to a fluff conflict.

Ur-Priest's fluff says that you forsake the gods, instead choosing to take their power by force.

RKV's fluff says that you are sworn to the service of the Church of Wee Jas, and serve at the command of the Ruby Sorceress and her clergy.

The two are in direct conflict. No loyal servant of Wee Jas would take from her what wasn't given, and nobody who forsook the service of the gods would willingly bind himself to the service of one so hierarchical and demanding of obedience.

That said, as others have mentioned, it's an easy resolution - refluff either one. Either change the Ur-Priest slightly, so that he is simply stealing from gods in general, and not Wee Jas specifically, or change the RKV, so it's more like a "Paladin of an ideal" than a "servant of Wee Jas."
As I mentioned above, it would basically be a sort of "except for you, you're special" type deal with regards to Wee Jas. Hates all the other gods and will steal power from the other gods, but not Wee Jas.

I was more looking for input on that build line.

Flickerdart
2014-12-03, 01:03 PM
I've thought about this before, and there's a way to reconcile it.

FR has a feat that allows you to worship and draw power from a dead god, and IIRC it makes an explicit allowance for Ur-Priests to take it. So all you have to do is murder Wee Jas and then worship her corpse.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 01:05 PM

FR has a feat that allows you to worship and draw power from a dead god, and IIRC it makes an explicit allowance for Ur-Priests to take it. So all you have to do is murder Wee Jas and then worship her corpse.

I like the sound of this

Petrocorus
2014-12-03, 02:19 PM
The fluff of an UrPriest essentially requires you to not worship gods - honestly, the exact opposite.
Fixed it for you.
And as i was going to say:

Indeed, there is a mention in the adaptation section that Ur-Priest can be used for worshipper of disappeared gods.
And if you play in Eberron, Gods are a quite fuzzy concept there anyway. And You can adapt the RKV to another god or concept.

paperarmor
2014-12-03, 02:24 PM
Both ur-priest and RKV have provisions in the book for this it's under the adaptation section for each.

torrasque666
2014-12-03, 02:25 PM
Indeed, there is a mention in the adaptation section that Ur-Priest can be used for worshipper of disappeared gods.
And if you play in Eberron, Gods are a quite fuzzy concept there anyway. And You can adapt the RKV to another god or concept.

which i'd have to do as this group plays in eberron.