PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Multiple swift actions?

RogueWizard
2014-12-03, 09:27 AM
I've always been taught that actions have a hierarchy.

Standard > Move > Swift

Actions can downgrade, but cannot upgrade. I.E. I can take two move actions and a swift, three swift, or two swifts and a move. However, this is something I was taught and haven't been able to locate in the pathfinder rulebook. I did fin the following rule.

"You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions."

This implies one swift action per turn, but does not forbid two; rather, it implies that a second one would interrupt another action which makes sense with the downgrade of a standard or move action into another swift.

First question, can actions downgrade? In other words, can I sacrifice other actions to take multiple swift actions on my turn?

My second quandary assume the answer to the first is yes and involves immediate actions. According to pathfinder immediate actions taken out of turn count as my swift actions for the next turn. If actions downgrade could I take two immediate actions and limit myself to only a standard action on my next turn?

skypse
2014-12-03, 09:31 AM
I've always been taught that actions have a hierarchy.

Standard > Move > Swift

Wrong

Actions can downgrade, but cannot upgrade. I.E. I can take two move actions and a swift, three swift, or two swifts and a move. However, this is something I was taught and haven't been able to locate in the pathfinder rulebook. I did fin the following rule.

"You can perform one swift action per turn without affecting your ability to perform other actions."

Making 2 move actions instead of a Standard and a Move is a completely different rule that has its own writing and it is NOT implied. It is standalone.

First question, can actions downgrade? In other words, can I sacrifice other actions to take multiple swift actions on my turn?

No.

My second quandary assume the answer to the first is yes and involves immediate actions. According to pathfinder immediate actions taken out of turn count as my swift actions for the next turn. If actions downgrade could I take two immediate actions and limit myself to only a standard action on my next turn?

I am sure you get the point by now :)

Psyren
2014-12-03, 09:36 AM
Many swift actions are balanced around the assumption that you only get one per turn. Making it easy to get more than one would skew the game's balance even further out of whack than it already is.

Sayt
2014-12-03, 10:03 AM
It should be noted that you can ready an action as a standard action, and that action can be a swift action.

So in a sense you can get a second swift action in a limited circumstance.