PDA

View Full Version : Ghost PC's

Master Thrower
2014-12-03, 10:03 AM
I'm trying to make a high ECL ghost for an evil party. It's ECL 16 and I'm the party rogue (role not class) so as long as I can find and disable traps I can really do whatever

Some things I already know

Stats- 10,12,15,17,17,17

Ghost abilities (3) Draining touch (wis) Major Image (from libris mortis) and Malevolence

I like the idea of making my ghost a ninja

Anything ghost characters need? What are some defense I can have to avoid undead kill spells? Also what should my focus of items be? We play most core with some other books thrown in the mix

Gnome Alone
2014-12-03, 10:28 AM
Think you should be fine on "undead kill spells," since Turn Undead is used almost entirely to power DMM and Devotion shenanigans now. ("Legend has it that Turn Undead can actually be used to affect the undead.")

Anyway, there's a Cloak of Turn Resistance in the MIC. +4 vs. turning -- but no reason you couldn't make it a custom item with a higher bonus.

EDIT: Oh, whoops, just reread that; you're the party rogue. Somehow I got the impression you were the DM. So, maybe you might need DM permission to customize that item. Also, I think you need ghost touch on your weapons to actually stab anyone. Hey, is this guy a ghost cuz he's really pissed off about, like, getting shredded into bite-sized chunks by some deadly trap on what turned out to be the door to the dungeon bathroom or something like that?

Inevitability
2014-12-03, 10:30 AM
Don't use the MM template. Use this (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a) instead and don't take all levels. 2 or 3 seem enough, though you could take 4. Don't ever take the fifth level.

Also, if you want to be a not-rogue, try a beguiler. They can find traps alright but are somewhat more versatile than rogues.

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 10:39 AM
If you're going to be a ghost, look into Ghostwalk. It's 3e, but you'd find some useful stuff.

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-03, 10:44 AM
If you're going to be a ghost, look into Ghostwalk. It's 3e, but you'd find some useful stuff.

Actually, it was officially updated to 3.5. So, that +0 LA template is as nice as ever, just... all it really gives is incorporeal and the rest of the abilities you have to pick up as feats.

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 10:49 AM
Actually, it was officially updated to 3.5. So, that +0 LA template is as nice as ever, just... all it really gives is incorporeal and the rest of the abilities you have to pick up as feats.

That's what makes it kind of awesome, in my opinion. Doesn't it also make you undead? That's a pretty big boost, especially for casters. Especially especially in point buy. Especially especially ESPECIALLY for point buy casters.

Doc_Maynot
2014-12-03, 11:01 AM
That's what makes it kind of awesome, in my opinion. Doesn't it also make you undead? That's a pretty big boost, especially for casters. Especially especially in point buy. Especially especially ESPECIALLY for point buy casters.

They are explicitly not undead, they are outsiders. And they still have a Con Score

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 11:47 AM
They are explicitly not undead, they are outsiders. And they still have a Con Score

That's boring. I'd rather combine them with something like Necropolitan, that way you've got actual undeadnessosity.

Necroticplague
2014-12-03, 01:29 PM
1: Ask about LA buyoff. if allowed, You should take a level in the ghost class, buy off the 1 LA it makes, then repeat once you get enough XP.
2: The Human Heritage feat is awesome for a ghost. All of the upsides of undeadism, almost none of the downsides.
3: Ask the DM if the normal undead ghost can take [Ghost] Feats from ghostwalk.Most are pretty weak, but you can pick up a negative level touch for just 2 feats.
4: Ask your DM how acceptable taint is in the campaign. undead automatically have a taint score based on CHA if its in effects, so you can nab some free feats this way.

Master Thrower
2014-12-03, 04:50 PM
Talked to my DM about the Ghost template and I'll be nabbing 3-4 levels of that. Would being a ghost ninja be horrendous? We don't optimize particularly heavily, and I like the wisdom to ac, as well as being able to strike those on the material plane without needing to manifest

Necroticplague
2014-12-03, 06:35 PM
Talked to my DM about the Ghost template and I'll be nabbing 3-4 levels of that. Would being a ghost ninja be horrendous? We don't optimize particularly heavily, and I like the wisdom to ac, as well as being able to strike those on the material plane without needing to manifest

Ninja is just horrible. Grab an Ethereal Reaver from the Complete Psionics to let you stab people while on the Ethereal, and dip a level of Battle Dancer for Stat-to-AC. Since you're a ghost, you get CHA as a deflection to AC, so using Battledancer lets you double up on it.