PDA

View Full Version : Arcane Zoologist

atemu1234
2014-12-03, 10:47 AM
I'm making an enemy for a mission - CR 18-19 ish - and he's supposed to fulfill the following role:

The PCs find there way to an island (they're on a boat, so that's normal) but the island is on none of the maps. Detecting magic reveals overwhelming amounts of spells around the place, from illusions to nondetection spells and the like. All around the island are Fleshwarped and Psuedonatural creatures, made by a caster on the island.

That caster is this guy; still working on a name but I'm thinking something creepy or unworldly. He's supposed to be an elf but I'm flexible on that, and I'm thinking an Arcane Hierophant. But I still need to figure out the following:

-An exact build (I'm still working on that and could use the help)
-How to roleplay him
-How he's making the creatures
-How he's powerful enough to cast the spells (as a Theurge, he might not have the high-level spells available).
-What creatures they should encounter (they should be high enough CR to be worth XP, but not so high as to needlessly endanger the party beyond a reasonable risk).

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-03, 05:26 PM
Fleshwarper, maybe? They're the graft-focused PrC from Lords of Madness.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 05:48 PM
Do you want the good doctor to be the Dr.Moreau type; one who thinks that scientific advancement is noble and that letting gods' design stand in his way is foolish? Full of incredible conceit and still able to engage other humans on a somewhat social or intellectual level?

Or would you rather have him be a buffalo bill type that is working on these monstrosities to develop a techinque for dealing with his interspicies body dismorphia? With anything and everything justified in the name of becoming able to eventually be pseudonatural or half-farspawn himself?

Basically, what sort of person do you want him to be? What do you want his motivation to be? This is gonna have a big impact on what I would suggest for his build, name and how to roleplay him.

EDIT: oh!!! or maybe a Rotwangian revenge-driven obsessive type how is working to destroy someone who he views as having wronged him in the past

kulosle
2014-12-03, 10:06 PM
Alienest is theme-esque but is horrible.

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 08:11 AM
Alienest is theme-esque but is horrible.

I was thinking of using the 3e one, which is less horrible, but decided against it. I don't really want something that summons creatures, but perverts existing creatures.

I was thinking he could be serene-yet-horrifying, an utterly calm, happy individual- surrounded by nature that would be beautiful except for THAT ONE THING.

Telonius
2014-12-04, 02:41 PM
This might actually be a time to pull out a Tainted Scholar (Heroes of Horror). Assign him the Phobic line on the Depravity effects.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-04, 05:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure it's possible to make pseudonatural/fleshwarped creatures. (Assuming you mean the PF template for the latter.) That said, I'd go with Wizard 1/Archivist 1/Mystic Theurge 10/Fleshwarper 7, using the tainted feat Eldritch Corruption to qualify for Mystic Theurge early. He can cast just about any spell in the game (only Wu Jen-exclusive ones are out, I believe) so if there's anything that can handle creating the creatures it's that. Fleshwarper, as Extra Anchovies suggested, is one of very few ways to create monstrous abominations by RAW.

kulosle
2014-12-04, 06:58 PM
Wizard 5/Alienist 5/Fleshwarper 8 human
with two flaws you can take, improved familiar, augment summoning, graft flesh, and spell linked familiar, at level 1. And then take extra familiar for the rest. That's 7 rather awesome pets. Then load up on pet boosting spells. You can probably have each pet be it's own battle, with your beguiler familiar being your personal one. Then you just have random encounters with animals that have flesh grafts.