PDA

View Full Version : General Elementalist options?

tadkins
2014-12-03, 11:09 AM
I've noticed a thing with a lot of the "elemental" themed options out there; they have you choose a single element and focus on that.

If I wanted to build a wizard that focused on all four (or five, depending on your preference!) elements, are there any cool PrCs and such for that? Someone who studies and travels the elemental planes, binding elementals to fight alongside him, and blasting his foes with elemental magic. Wouldn't focus on any specific one, and would use the one best fitting for the situation.

Emperor Tippy
2014-12-03, 11:33 AM
No, at least not in official sources.

You are best off going with a Kineticist Psion and making use of StP Edrudite's with Psychic Chiguery to get the thematically appropriate Wizard spells as powers known.

Short of that, the Archmage PrC has Mastery of Elements as one of its High Arcana and that lets you make a decent go at a general Elemental Wizard (although it comes on line at a fairly high level).

tadkins
2014-12-03, 11:58 AM
Archmage would probably work for the blasting side if there's nothing else.

Was hoping there might be some kind of Thaumaturgist/Malconvoker style PrC that focused on summoning elementals.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 11:59 AM
I find druids to have the most interesting selection of elementalist-style spells.

Flash Flood for water

Control Winds for air

Greater Stone Shape for earth

Transmute Rock to Lava for fire

tadkins
2014-12-03, 12:17 PM
I find druids to have the most interesting selection of elementalist-style spells.

Flash Flood for water

Control Winds for air

Greater Stone Shape for earth

Transmute Rock to Lava for fire

I agree, this was my first thought as well. "Why not just go druid?" They do have the more fitting spells.

In the end though, I just decided that druids just have a different flavor, and wouldn't really work for my character idea. They have more stringent rules, and have more of a natural world type feel than a planar traveler. I don't really picture this character morphing into animals. Plus, I generally just prefer arcane to divine.

Feint's End
2014-12-03, 12:24 PM
If you are open to Pathfinder there is an archetype which basically turns your psion into a wizard. Instead of a psicrystal you get a familiar and you even use components and a spell book. Still psionics but you have similar flavour as a wizard with all the nice tricks of a psion (including powers which fill electricity, fire, cold and sonic).

Fouredged Sword
2014-12-03, 12:26 PM
Have you considered a Archivist? You can pick up all the nice druid spells while dumping the nature theme for a more neutral lore based concept. You can pull from ANY divine list, so that opens a lot of spell options with all the elemental spells that ended up in clerical domains on top of two tier 1 casting lists. Mix with contemplative and/or sovereign speaker to pick up all elemental domains to grant all the rebuke element pools so you can surround yourself with elemental minions.

Things I would try to think in terms of.

Summoning. Focus on 3+, as that has most the elemental options.

Wall spells - lots of really useful BFC here, most of it is elemental themed. Use walls that your minions can ignore. Wall of stone is ignored by earth elementals, wall of fire by fire elementals.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 12:30 PM
I agree, this was my first thought as well. "Why not just go druid?" They do have the more fitting spells.

In the end though, I just decided that druids just have a different flavor, and wouldn't really work for my character idea. They have more stringent rules, and have more of a natural world type feel than a planar traveler. I don't really picture this character morphing into animals. Plus, I generally just prefer arcane to divine.

I dig what you're saying. I used to have the same preference for arcane over divine. That being said...

Don't forget about the druid variant that throws away wildshape for a monk's ac bonus and fast movement along with ranger's favored enemy, swift tracker and the track feat.

There are also really rad planar druids out their. The planar shepherd is an example of one dedicated to a single other plane but there are definitely universe guarding, world-hopping druids.

I'm not trying to force you to play a druid or anything. I'm just offering my two cents into a hat, and tossing that hat into the ring, and offering my ring for your thoughts.

Zaq
2014-12-03, 12:34 PM
Warmages aren't a good class in general, but they're a decent way of loading up on different elemental blasts. They don't have any good ways of summoning elementals, though, so if that's important to you, they're not going to be the best choice. But if you just want access to throwing around d6s in whatever elemental flavor you choose, they're a simple way of getting that.

nerghull
2014-12-03, 01:22 PM
I'd go with Initiate of the seven veil or Seeker of the song. The first is elemental walling, the later elemental blasting.

ILM
2014-12-03, 01:47 PM
I've noticed a thing with a lot of the "elemental" themed options out there; they have you choose a single element and focus on that.

If I wanted to build a wizard that focused on all four (or five, depending on your preference!) elements, are there any cool PrCs and such for that? Someone who studies and travels the elemental planes, binding elementals to fight alongside him, and blasting his foes with elemental magic. Wouldn't focus on any specific one, and would use the one best fitting for the situation.
Take a look at the High Elemental Binder in PGtE, sounds right up your alley. I agree that thematically you'd want to look at druids, but arcane casters can qualify just as well.