PDA

View Full Version : I don't like being dispelled!

Rykaj
2007-03-26, 05:41 PM
As a wizard, I hate dispel. I really do. I've prepared such intricate defenses against everything someone could possibly throw at me, and just one spell can cut the motherload of those away, leaving me a very fragile piece of flesh. So I hate dispel magic. I really do.

My question then of course is this: How can I make myself very hard to dispel, or even impossible to dispel? The only thing I can think of is that fortify spell metamagic feat, but it doesn't seem to help all that much, I would definately need more options for adequate protection. So does anyone know other ways to make me hard to dispel?

ZekeArgo
2007-03-26, 05:48 PM
As a wizard, I hate dispel. I really do. I've prepared such intricate defenses against everything someone could possibly throw at me, and just one spell can cut the motherload of those away, leaving me a very fragile piece of flesh. So I hate dispel magic. I really do.

My question then of course is this: How can I make myself very hard to dispel, or even impossible to dispel? The only thing I can think of is that fortify spell metamagic feat, but it doesn't seem to help all that much, I would definately need more options for adequate protection. So does anyone know other ways to make me hard to dispel?

Ring of Counterspells(Dispel/Greater Dispel Magic), Spell/Greater Spell Immunity... Any number of ways.

Jasdoif
2007-03-26, 05:53 PM
There's dispelling buffer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dispellingBuffer.htm), but that's a power. Umm....Spell turning (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/spellTurning.htm) will protect against targeted dispels, but not area.

Ring of Counterspells(Dispel/Greater Dispel Magic), Spell/Greater Spell Immunity... Any number of ways.Ring of Counterspells is ideal, but Spell Immunity won't do it, since dispel magic isn't affected by SR.

Innis Cabal
2007-03-26, 05:55 PM
join the club, we have jackets. Best way is ring of counterspell IMO

Belial_the_Leveler
2007-03-26, 06:04 PM
Being invisible makes you untargettable by spells. You should consider a Non-Detection to improve your chance of not being found vs other spellcasters.

Against area dispells, the protection is easy-but requires tactics. Take an item or ability that increases your CL (such as a ring of arcane might or an ioun stone). Now, cast a cantrip on yourself that lasts a long time. What cantrip this is does not matter. Put off your ring or CL-increasing item so you DON'T get the bonus anymore. Now cast all your buffs.

Your buffs now have a lower CL than your cantrip. Area attempts to dispel them work first against your higher-CL cantrip. If your cantrip is dispelled, then the area dispel is expended and doesn't harm important buffs. Essentially, you are forcing area dispells to expend themselves against a cantrip and not your buffs.

Players that play spell-duels all the time use (or should use) multiple cantrips that create a buffer/shield against dispelling their primary buffs. The tactic is called dispelling shield and is very useful. Doesn't work against Mordenkainen's Disjunction though-but there are other, more complicated tactics against that one.

Solo
2007-03-26, 06:59 PM
Can you dispel someone else's dispel magic?

Amiria
2007-03-26, 07:05 PM
Dispel Magic is an instantaneous spell, like i.e. Fireball. So you can't dispel it. But you could counterspell it.

Collin152
2007-03-26, 08:41 PM
And you can use Dispel magic to counterspell dispell magic!

oh wait, you have to use it in this case.
Either way!

Jack Mann
2007-03-26, 09:30 PM
No, no, you could use greater dispel magic instead of dispel magic. It's not quite the same spell.

Collin152
2007-03-26, 10:34 PM
Oh, phsh, details. You could also use Reaving Dispell, but who cares?

Assassinfox
2007-03-26, 10:40 PM
What about Voracious Dispelling?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 11:00 PM
...there's a good question: can you counter a spell with the touch attack dispel in the PHB-II?

TheOOB
2007-03-26, 11:08 PM
Can you touch a spell? As I DM i'd let them counter the spell if they where able to touch the caster, but according to RAW I'm not sure how that would work.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-26, 11:09 PM
Just the mental image of a spellcaster "catching" a fireball thrown at him and dispelling it is nifty.

Collin152
2007-03-26, 11:42 PM
Hey, in one of the books the guy throws a fireball back with his sword! His sword!!!

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-27, 12:01 AM
Best way to avoid being dispelled? AMF.

Oh, wait...

Mewtarthio
2007-03-27, 12:44 AM
Hey, in one of the books the guy throws a fireball back with his sword! His sword!!!

This sounds exactly like every single Zelda game since A Link to the Past. If you take just the console games, I think it may be literally without exception.

Assassinfox
2007-03-27, 12:47 AM
This sounds exactly like every single Zelda game since A Link to the Past. If you take just the console games, I think it may be literally without exception.

Don't forget Link's Awakening for GB!

And the Link to the Past remake for GBA!

Mewtarthio
2007-03-27, 12:53 AM
Don't forget Link's Awakening for GB!

And the Link to the Past remake for GBA!

I'm not discounting the handhelds, but I haven't played the Oracle games or Four Swords, so I'm not sure if they have those famous "tennis matches" or not.

marjan
2007-03-27, 01:30 AM
Ring of Arcane Supremacy (CM) give you +4 CL when someone tries to dispel your spells. Mysterious Magic (SoX) gives you +2CL for the same purpose. Besides that anything that increases your CL will do the job. For that look here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showpost.php?p=8849256&postcount=1)

Rykaj
2007-03-27, 10:11 AM
Great suggestions everyone. Thanks. I especially like the ring of counterspelling, mostly because it was very obvious but I never thought of it. Maybe your best protection would be a ring of arcane supremacy and a ring of counterspelling. Oh and by the way, what is that SoX book you mentioned? It doesn't really ring a bell for me.

The higher CL cantrips is a pretty good solution too, but I fear my DM would skin me if I start using such tricks...

Zherog
2007-03-27, 10:23 AM
what is that SoX book you mentioned? It doesn't really ring a bell for me.

Secrets of Xen'drik. Co-written by Amber Scott.

ocato
2007-03-27, 10:54 AM
Four swords was fun.

Honestly, if there is a caster causing trouble, I just sorta watch him and counterspell while the rough and tumblers get into his "grill" and rearrange the coals (his grey matter).

Extended metaphors are almost as much fun as extended damage over time spells.

Luircin
2007-03-27, 11:43 AM
If you're playing a cerebremancer, there was a feat in Dragon a few months back that allowed you to add your caster level to your manifester level for one discipline and one school. (Ex: Psychometabolism and Transmutation, etc.)

It's how I kept my metamorphosis powers and buffs from being dispelled. CL/ML 30 at level 15 anyone?