PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding a 3.5e rangery character in 5e, please help

ericp65
2014-12-03, 02:47 PM
Hello all!

Finally taking the 5e plunge, and of course I'm interested in seeing how some of my favorite 3.5e characters would update/translate into 5e. I know it's a bit early, as there isn't all that much PrC content yet, but I'm particularly interested in how to rebuild Erysseril, a female Copper Elf in the Forgotten Realms, who is a dedicated servant of Mielikki. I'm going for a 20-level progression here.

Here are two different builds that give her Ranger class features without actual Ranger levels, but if it's easier to just use Ranger class levels, I'll go with that:

Swift Hunter build (Swift Hunter as alternative base class to Ranger, found on this site)...

Levels 1 - 4: Swift Hunter 1 - 4
Levels 5 - 6: Prestige Ranger 1 - 2
Levels 7 - 8: Wilderness Rogue 1 - 2
Levels 9 - 12: Forest Reeve 1 - 4
Level 13: Shadowdancer 1
Level 14: Swift Hunter 5
Level 15: Warblade 1
Level 16: Druid 1
Level 17: Lion of Talisid 1
Levels 18 - 19: Druid 2 - 3
Level 20: Forest Reeve 5

Barbarian build:

Levels 1 - 2: Spiritual Lion Totem Crafty Hunter Barbarian 1 - 2
Level 3: Martial Wilderness Rogue 1
Level 4: Deadly Hunter Druid 1
Levels 5 - 6: Champion of the Wild Swift Hunter 1 - 2
Level 7: Deadly Hunter Druid 2
Level 8: Martial Wildnerness Rogue 2
Levels 9 - 12: Forest Reeve 1 - 4
Level 13: Shadowdancer 1
Level 14: Lion of Talisid 1
Level 15: Forest Reeve 5
Level 16: Champion of the Wild Swift Hunter 3
Levels 17 - 18: Deadly Hunter Druid 3 - 4
Level 19: Warblade 1
Level 20: Holt Warden 1

The builds are arranged to attempt to give Ranger class features as close to the same levels as possible, compared to a single-classed Ranger. Also wish to preserve character concept as represented here. Erysseril fights with a scimitar and a battle axe, and strongly identifies with large feline predators, as well as with large birds of prey (especially hawks, eagles, and falcons).

OK, patient is on the table, prepped for surgery ;) I'll gladly provide any additional information if asked.

Madfellow
2014-12-03, 03:06 PM
Easiest way to do it would be to just go straight Ranger. Wood Elf would probably be the optimal racial choice. Dexterity-based build, dual-wielding scimitars (they're finesse weapons, so you use Dexterity with them instead of Strength). She sounds like a Beastmaster Ranger, and I'm fairly certain there's an appropriate big cat beast she can team up with.

5e is easy. It doesn't require a lot of work to bring a given concept to life. If you have access to a Player's Handbook, my advice is to just dive right in and have fun. :smallsmile:

ericp65
2014-12-03, 03:13 PM
Easiest way to do it would be to just go straight Ranger. Wood Elf would probably be the optimal racial choice. Dexterity-based build, dual-wielding scimitars (they're finesse weapons, so you use Dexterity with them instead of Strength). She sounds like a Beastmaster Ranger, and I'm fairly certain there's an appropriate big cat beast she can team up with.

5e is easy. It doesn't require a lot of work to bring a given concept to life. If you have access to a Player's Handbook, my advice is to just dive right in and have fun. :smallsmile:

I figured as much when reading the 5e Ranger description. Got the PHB and the d/l of the DM Basic Rules and Player Basic Rules for reference. I was on the fence whether to give her Hunter or Beastmaster. She's into exploring and trailblazing, serving as a wilderness guide and championing Mielikki's cause. Dual-wielding and pouncing are crucial, and at higher levels, the ability to assume the form of a lioness would be ideal. Erysseril is very active in hunting and eliminating evil lycanthropes, especially the People of the Black Blood, and any and all who follow Malar.