PDA

View Full Version : Weirdest things you've witnessed?

danzibr
2014-12-03, 03:59 PM
I just had a really weird idea.

A person with a Ring of Sustenance (or whatever ring makes them need to not eat or sleep) with his/her hands Sovereign Glue'd (or whatever the name of that glue is) to a wall in a secluded place. They have no special powers so can't escape.

Just struck me as strange. Like a super strange form of torture.

Not that I ever saw the above one in play, but... what strange things have you seen in play?

NeoPhoenix0
2014-12-03, 04:06 PM
We crafted a bench and tied ropes to it so the two flying people could carry it, Then we cast ant haul on them and traveled quickly to a group of goblins traveling away from us on what is effectively a large makeshift flying swing.

pretty sure i've seen weirder but this was very recent.

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 04:11 PM
I just watched an almost naked catfolk swashbuckler clad in only boots and a feathered hat and armed with a rapier duke it out with a staff wielding Nezumi ninja. The realization that i just watched Puss-in-boots duke it out with master splinter caused me such a momentary mind **** i had to get up from the table and go out for fresh air.

Xyk
2014-12-03, 04:12 PM
My group once used a Master of Many Forms wild shaped into a giant octopus, buffed with spider-climb and bull's strength who carried several members of the party out of water onto a boat. That was pretty cool and also a weird image.

nedz
2014-12-03, 04:16 PM
Two Clerics, having had their bodies accidentally destroyed and their souls captured by an erstwhile friendly Demi-Lich, given a pair of Catyrid Columns as temporary vessels until such time as they could cast Raise Dead on each other — being the next day basically.

AD&D 2E — though some use of Rule 0 was required.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-03, 04:22 PM
Alas, I did not see it, but someone in my brother's group accidentally sexually violated a unicorn.

Ethelesin
2014-12-03, 04:36 PM
Alas, I did not see it, but someone in my brother's group accidentally sexually violated a unicorn.

Uuuh... I guess if you were shooting for the Beloved of Valarian PrC thats like... A double foul?

Nibbens
2014-12-03, 05:27 PM
A halforc cleric looked at a 6 inch hole in a door and told the DM that he was going to try to jump through it. Despite the fact the DM told him that it would be physically impossible for his 300+lb body to fit through it, he wanted to try it anyway. He called out his gods name, jumped face first at the door before anyone could stop him... and rolled a Nat 20.

The DM had to improvise saying he managed to get his head stuck in the hole mid leap, knock the door off it's hinges, and collapse onto the waiting goblindog beyond the door - killing it instantly, but not before it bit the cleric in the face.

The DM then declares that the cleric's god was laughing so hard at him (as we all were at this point), that he decided to "honor him" with a permanent rash on his face (in the form of the goblindog's allergy, but in the shape of the god's holy-symbol) as a way for all who looked upon the halforc to know the power of faith amid impossible odds.

We all laughed quite a lot that night, but it was by far the weirdest thing I've ever witnessed in D&D.

paperarmor
2014-12-03, 05:45 PM
an articifer with a drill hand attachment, and the need of a proctology roll.

A camp gay mummy that sexually assualted enemies with grapple checks.

asnys
2014-12-03, 06:25 PM
Not much compared to some of the above, but: a (PC) wizard wearing plate armor and dual-wielding greatswords using Monkey Grip.

Garktz
2014-12-03, 07:45 PM
Low level, around 2 or 3, teamate getting is face beaten by some kind of orc-ish creature while i was watching from a cliff (we had to climb down, he got ambushed) i was a cleric, so that means full plate and 18 str (so i was carring around most of the party stuff)

wich means

Dm - pc is almost dead, what you guys do
me - I,ll jump off the cliff (was pretty high) so i can kill the enemy with my weigh
Dm - You.ll take dmg from the fall
me - I thought the enemy should take the dmg instead of me because i.m landing on something "soft" while he.s getting hit by big guy with full plate whos carring a lot of stuff
Dm - Ok
[Dm rolls for dmg]
Dm - ok, he.s beyond dead, now you have enemy´s blood and meat all over you, and the rest of the enemy, waiting for the rest of you to get down, surrender to you

Best use of rule of cool by the dm i.ve ever seen on his games :)

Necroticplague
2014-12-03, 08:18 PM
One Character I had could, through some pieces of homebrew, make themselves starve to heal themselves, and regrow limbs when at full health. They also had a feat that let them emulate a magic item as an extraordinary ability, for which they had a Ring of Sustenance. One shipwreck later, and I figured out a way to take care of the rest of the party's starving issues by taking advantage of the above. They quickly learned not to ask what they were eating.

Arbane
2014-12-03, 10:51 PM
Not even remotely close to some of the whackiness here, but I once had an anthro-ninja rabbit bite the head off of an alien monster I'm pretty sure was a WH40K Genestealer or Tyranid. (This was so unexpected, the entire hivemind was stunned for a round.)

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-03, 10:57 PM
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe, attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

The Grue
2014-12-03, 11:17 PM
A halforc cleric looked at a 6 inch hole in a door and told the DM that he was going to try to jump through it. Despite the fact the DM told him that it would be physically impossible for his 300+lb body to fit through it, he wanted to try it anyway. He called out his gods name, jumped face first at the door before anyone could stop him... and rolled a Nat 20.

The DM had to improvise saying he managed to get his head stuck in the hole mid leap, knock the door off it's hinges, and collapse onto the waiting goblindog beyond the door - killing it instantly, but not before it bit the cleric in the face.

The DM then declares that the cleric's god was laughing so hard at him (as we all were at this point), that he decided to "honor him" with a permanent rash on his face (in the form of the goblindog's allergy, but in the shape of the god's holy-symbol) as a way for all who looked upon the halforc to know the power of faith amid impossible odds.

We all laughed quite a lot that night, but it was by far the weirdest thing I've ever witnessed in D&D.

Yeah that is pretty weird, seeing as how Nat 20s are not automatic successes on skill checks.

EisenKreutzer
2014-12-04, 12:04 AM
A 10x10 foot room with two ettins in it.
The GM rolled on a random table, and got two ettins. Ettins are Large, and the only door into the room was obviously too small for them to use.

Once we stopped laughing, we realised that these ettins must have lived here for generations, feeding off rats and stray goblins and inbreeding for years and years until we finally ran into them. They probably started out as normal Ogres, and the extra heads were from pure inbreeding.
I think we laughed for 15 minutes after that.

Crake
2014-12-04, 12:11 AM
Yeah that is pretty weird, seeing as how Nat 20s are not automatic successes on skill checks.

i'm sure a god who might be paying attention might grant someone a sizable competence bonus on a single check? I believe a DC100 escape artist check can move through a wall of force, it would be significantly less to pass through a 6 inch hole, and the natural 20 already got him a decent portion of the way there.

Hanuman
2014-12-04, 05:22 AM
Strange is relative when you play character classes with weird or strange as keywords.

I do tend to take insane risks though, heres a few:
Jumping in the mouth of a frost wurm to try and stab its brain with a petrification sword, found out it had a breath weapon the hard way, dropped to 6hp, flipped inside out and ate the frost wurm, kept eating it to regain health as I was stabbing it to turn into stone. It had death throes that dealt more than my max hp and it was 2cr higher than our ecl... very narrow victory.
Eating zombies in an outbreak setting, for no good reason.. I bite harder but got zombie plague 6 separate times in one session.
Facing an animated bone dragon elemental (called a boneyard) I turned into a smaller version of it and bit it on the head.. it used bone subsumption on me and I got my bones sucked out.
Spent a campaign without either of my arms after they got blown off in a clutch play that decapitated a colossal sea serpent with explosives, dropping me to -9 hp legitimately.

Know(Nothing)
2014-12-04, 05:39 AM
I once dove into the sea, swimming down to catch the sinking body of an unconscious sea drake who had just annihilated us, so I could then pry its mouth open, climb down inside it, and drag out the party ranger's unconscious griffin. Once it was fully resuscitated, it and the ranger revealed themselves to be evil duplicates sent by Mephistopheles, and nearly wiped us out while we were still weak.

hewhosaysfish
2014-12-04, 08:42 AM
Our party druid Wildshaped into a bunny so that we could dress him up in a tiny top hat and monocle and sell him to a rabbit-napper.

The druid Baleful Polymorphed a Shadowdancer/Druid (yes, really) in a rabbit, pretty much winning a mini-boss battle in the first round.

We didn't think we would be able to keep him captive if we turned him back and we didn't want to kill him, so when the party sorceress said she wanted to keep the rabbit as a pet (and train it as an attack-rabbit, because he kept his sneak attack dice and most of his skills) the rest of the party agreed.

Me later caught a fairly incompetent thief attempting to break into my keep. When questioned he revealed that someone was offering a reward for "Sir Ebb's pet rabbit" and we figured that it was the accomplices of the Shadowdancer attempting to free him.

We come up with a plan: our druid will Wildshape into a rabbit, I will sell him to the captured thief and the party will tail him as he goes to make the hand-over. We can then keep following our druid until we get back to actual buyer or until one of the middle-men rumbles the switch. Then we will commence with the "herosim".

Of course, to know if (when) things have wrong and the rest of the party needs to step in we need to be able to monitor the druid's situation from a distance. The party had a set of Kinsight Goggles which allow anyone wearing one of the lenses to see anything that can be seen through the other. We've used them to great effect in the past.

We could use a Scrying spell but that will create a sensor that a high level rogue could spot, as well as limiting the mobility of our wizard and spending the spell for the day. We decide to use the Goggles and keep the Scrying spell in reserve in case of surprises. To disguise the weirdness of a rabbit wearing what is essentially a tiny monocle, we decide to put a tiny top hat on it as well.

It was initially suggested as a joke but the captured thief seemed to think that the rabbit was my beloved pet and that the buyer was going to try to ransom it back to me. Given how I was supposedly so attached to the rabbit, it should just seem eccentric that I had dressed it up. Right?

Epilogue:
Once the job was done, we no longer needed the tiny top hat so the party wizard called dibs on it and gave it to his Faerie Dragon familiar.

cerin616
2014-12-04, 09:02 AM
A player stabilize another dying player by rolling a heal check, getting a nat 20, and shouting "true loves kiss!"

Telonius
2014-12-04, 09:21 AM
Playing the Shackled City campaign. We came to one point where there was a pyramid-like tomb. A bunch of clay urns were trapped with a Wail of the Banshee effect that would be set off if the jar were opened. The party had somehow acquired a Hippogriff named Buster. (I can't recall how, but I believe the DM allowed him as either an Improved Familiar or a special Paladin Mount).

So, we took any of the unopened jars, and tied them to Buster's saddle. His owner then kept a knife handy to let them loose over an enemy. They balked at my idea of painting his wings red with black crosses, and giving his rider a pilot's jacket and goggles; but otherwise he was pretty much a bomber.

lytokk
2014-12-04, 09:33 AM
Had a halfling paladin which killed a t-rex, from inside its throat. Same paladin's mount once killed a 7 headed hydra through massive damage without the need to remove its heads (its regeneration couldn't keep up with the 80 points of damage the mount was doing per round). Same halfling also figured the space under a beholder was safer than standing in front of it, and the DM forgot that fly speed also indicated that it could fly upward.

Nibbens
2014-12-04, 10:15 AM

True, but as i said he didn't actually go "through" the hole as was his intention. The DM kept it realistic, (him getting his head stuck - meaning the rest of his body didn't go through the door) and threw in the rule of cool for good measure to represent the randomness and wildness of the event - having the door collapse and the other shenanigans he threw in as well.

Sure, the DM could have said, "Okay, you got a nat 20 and nothing happens," but where's the fun in that? Seven someodd years later we're still talking about the event because of the DM's ruling.

thematgreen
2014-12-04, 11:08 AM
My DM had a trap that went off and would magically summon a dinosaur he would roll randomly for from a list me made...and he rolled a Plesiosaur, which is a dinosaur that only lives in water.

Once I pointed out the case of an aquatic dinosaur suddenly appearing on the landing wouldn't be too effective for anything but a giant cork he just started laughing and counted all our ranged attacks as criticals since the Plesiosaur couldn't do anything to get to us.

In a game long ago we had two players who played halfling fighters with full plate and two handed swords. The barbarian of the group had his weapon sundered so suddenly snatchced up the halflings and wielded them. It was so weird and amusing that the DM decided that the Barbarian got to use them as weapons with no STR bonus to attacks...but the halflings got both their own STR bonus to their attacks AND that of the Barbarian, and also got an additional attack each.

Damage so was crazy that the next time they were all in town the halflings had handles welded to their armor so they could be wielded more easily.

Kid Jake
2014-12-04, 11:24 AM
I had a PC once that responded to getting ambushed by bandits by summoning a school of celestial dolphins into the middle of the forest. The bandits just stood there slack jawed, trying to figure out what this is about while the dolphins were like "Why have you summoned us just to die?!"

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 12:00 PM
We once found a naked dwarf hanging by his... tender bits from a ceiling.

Calimehter
2014-12-04, 12:15 PM
Way back in college we managed to beat a vampire to death with its own coffin.

We basically were caught without our gear but had access to a couple of prepped spells that helped with the improvising. One convenient side effect of our method was that we destroyed the coffin at the same time.

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 12:18 PM
Another one of mine is finding a cat (actually a tibbit) in a minotaur's treasure horde.

Kid Jake
2014-12-04, 12:21 PM
Another one of mine is finding a cat (actually a tibbit) in a minotaur's treasure horde.

"I will call him George and I will love him and feed him and..."

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 12:23 PM
"I will call him George and I will love him and feed him and..."

More of a tangent, but the Tibbit was actually probably the most interesting NPC I'd ever statted. Tibbit rogue, scottish accent, actually a lesbian, and it was fun.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 12:33 PM
We once found a naked dwarf hanging by his... tender bits from a ceiling.

Hung like a dwarf?

Ferronach
2014-12-05, 06:28 PM
While in a Frankenstein like situation with the party held to the walls by the evil wizard's magic and the female elven cleric strapped to the "experimentation" table a near tpk resulted in the premature death of the bbeg in addition to a laugh fest.

I played a half ogre-half giant barbarian who had a huuuge crush on the cleric. When the wizard tied her to the table and started with his experimenting I raged and struggled against my bonds (my INT score was too low to realise that it was futile) so hard that the unthinkable happened. The wizard had merely bound us to the walls and was foolish enough to bind my brute to an interior wall. After rolling a few lucky 20s, I managed to tear down the wall that I was pinned to, leaving chunks of wall attached to my wrists, waist and ankles. By tearing the interior wall down I caused the room to shake. a flying chunk of wall struck the bbeg in the back of the head with enough force to leave him unconscious. His spells holding the party evaporated and we all got free just in time to exit the collapsing tower via a convenient dimension door. At the last minute I tore the bbeg in half and took one half with me through the dimension door.

Needless to say that the DM was upset that we had eliminated what was supposed to be a recurring villain but everyone was still laughing at how the stupid barbarian managed to kill the wizard on his own while tied to a wall.

Hung like a dwarf?
Oh My! hahaha

Magikeeper
2014-12-05, 08:44 PM
From this one campaign where I was playing as an illusionist:

> One time myself and the Dvati Yo-Yo fighters decided to disguise ourselves as a piece of newly delivered training equipment before the rest of our unconscious foes' allies could arrive. "Test your dodging skills against the Yo-Yo box!" We somehow managed to knock most of the mercenaries out before they realized what was going on (They might have been drinking). I think we made the 'box' play music while it was 'on' as well.

> We built an extra dimensional fortress out of enveloping pits and glue. At one point we stole part of a forest via fabricate to give the base some infrastructure. Moving around was usually done via psycrstal or skeletal raptor.

> By attacking from our invisible pit-base we convinced an army that it might be better to just seal off the hallway we were in and call it a day. This ended with us using a variety of spells to literally break the hallway into large blocks of stone that we then shrunk. I.E., we stole the hallway.

> "I save the good stolen toilet paper for special occasions"

> The best session in that game, IMO, was when we needed to get information out of two maidens. We decided to scare them into seeking help (us), but our deception quickly escalated as we used illusions, extra-dimensional spaces, and numerous disguised dread warriors to act out various roles all over the island town. It wasn't pre-planned at all, forcing us to stay one step ahead of the woman at all times. Fake taverns, fake law enforcement, false oracular statements, mysterious letters, planted townsfolk. We basically created a B horror movie plot on the spot :P.
In the end the the halfing pretending to be the heroic something something 'of love' something burst into the hidden chambers to save the woman from the wheels of pain, valiantly firing heart-shaped blasts against the replacement villain (The halfling had originally been acting as the villain but he wanted to pick up the girls so we quickly found him a stunt double).

> The main plot for much the campaign was pretty odd as well: We were trying to help our/my PC's dread warriors achieve in death whatever dreams they had sadly failed to achieve in life. Occasionally we killed humanoid foes and obviously then introduced them into the fold - which in turn increased the number of dreams to fulfill.

---------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------
Other games:

"Yes! My skeletal tentacle successfully nurses me back to consciousness!"

DM: "You can either save <PC X>, or the crate of bacon"
Everyone But X: "We save the Bacon."
DM: "...fine, you can save them both."

Young Me: "No, ray of frost + create water does not instantly seal people in blocks of ice. Doubly so if they are on FIRE."
-An OOC hour later-
Young Me: "....aaaand the enemy, frozen solid in the block of ice, shatters upon hitting the ground. He's dead."

--------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------

*MK's brother's PC Tears off the man's shirt and flings it back at the man* "He's done his time!" *Grabs the shirt-making child and charges out of the orphanarium (not a typo)*

*The PC (T), sans escaped child, reaches the sewer hallway with the secret door. The Law tackles him*
T: "Let me in!"
Other PC (D), whispering to self: "...Noooooo"

<At a later government-mandated OA meeting>
T: "My name is Tiberious Prime and I am an orphannapper"
Others: "Hello Tiberious"

--

A: "Using your fists is unfair."
B: "Seriously?"
A: "<A's PC> doesn't know how to form a fist."
B: "Seriously? Here, let him explain it to you. First you take your fingers and move them like so-"
A: "He doesn't get it."

^Note: Imagine A speaking without any hint of sarcasm or deceit whatsoever.

-

D: "So, they believe my pants are a magical artifact - one that can only change ownership through my death?"
Me: "Yes."
D: "T did this."
Me: "You did strand him on a deserted island. One 1500 miles away from the base."
D: "Fair enough".

-

D:"So Aries, the god of senseless violence, is all for protecting woman and children."
A: "Yes. Have to have soldiers for the next generation-"
T: "And he's against drug use."
A: "Yes. Drugs are ba-"
D: "And you're chaotic evil?"
A: "Yes."

A's PC <favored soul of 'Aries'> was also very chivalrous, of course. And he HATED servants of Athena, what with their do-gooder ways. He was totally up for killing them in between all the selfless innocent maiden and child saving.

--

"So, they are sorta like an extreme, militant PETA except they are awakened crops riding golems like power armor. Photosynthesize or die, you vile vegetarian."

--

D: "Who knew a stalk of wheat could be so evil?"
A: "I continue eating my vegetables! MWAHAHAHAHAHA"
B: *gasp* "A's actually acting evil!"

--

T: "..My <warforged PC> attempts to seduce the dragon by..."

--

"She's pregnant."
T: "..I'm stealing the eggs once she lays them."