PDA

View Full Version : Touch spells and attacking?

hyikim
2007-03-26, 06:37 PM
lets say i cast a touch spell on turn 1 with my claw bracers on (they dont affect my ability to cast a spell)

the next turn (turn 2), I attack someone with my claw bracer, and hit. Do I do both the damage from the claw and from the touch spell?

Krellen
2007-03-26, 06:43 PM
If you delivered the touch spell with a touch as part of the casting in turn 1, no.

If you "held" the charge, then you could make an unarmed attack to deliver both damage and the touch spell. However, regardless of what weapon it is you are using, you cannot deliver a touch spell through a weapon (barring a few class features that specifically say otherwise.)

PinkysBrain
2007-03-26, 06:44 PM
Claw bracers do not give you a natural attack, you can't deliver touch spells with them.

Grug
2007-03-26, 06:48 PM
No, because the claw bracer would actually block the spell. A clawed bracer counts as a weapon, and unless you have an ability that lets you channel touch spells through a weapon you'll be using your other hand.

The PHB says that to cast a spell you must have at least one hand free. This means you can't have a weapon in it, even if it's a wepon made to fit around your hand. I would think it would interfere anyway with the delecate hand movements required. As long as you had one hand free to cast the spell that hand would hold the charge, so you would have to choose between touch attack and claw.

Little tip: most newer players don't know that when you cast a touch spell it actually doesn't go away until you touch something, so if you miss your attack roll you don't lose the spell :smallsmile:. Even better, you can get weapon specialization in touch spell and use the full attack action to keep touching until you succeed.

EDIT: Ninja'd and Remembered what a Claw Gauntlet was.

Indon
2007-03-26, 06:56 PM
You mean weapon _focus_ in Touch Spell, right, Grug? You'd have to be a Fighter 4/Caster X to have weapon spec in touch spells. That'd be kind of amusing, though.

Monster: "Owch! Why does your shocking grasp hurt slightly more than that of that other wizard?"
Fighter/Wizard: "I'm really good at... touching things..."

But, on the original topic, even if you have something on your wrist that doesn't impede casting (say, a buckler), you can't attack with that thing and get off a touch spell (so no touch spell shield slams with that buckler). There are feats and abilities which can circumvent this, however, allowing you to deliver touch attacks through weapons, and I'm pretty sure some touch spells specify you can deliver them through weapons (hexblade kinda stuff, not anything on sor/wiz list that I can think of).

Olethros
2007-03-26, 07:38 PM
If you just punch them in the face however, you can deliver both the spell and the unarmed strike damage. Downside, you must now hit there AC rather than there touch-AC, and unless you have improved unarmed strike you'll suffer attacks of opurtunity.

hyikim
2007-03-27, 05:01 PM
There are feats and abilities which can circumvent this, however, allowing you to deliver touch attacks through weapons

could you list some and what book they might be in? (stupid me and my small amount of D&D books)

If you just punch them in the face however, you can deliver both the spell and the unarmed strike damage. Downside, you must now hit there AC rather than there touch-AC, and unless you have improved unarmed strike you'll suffer attacks of opurtunity.

thats not a bad idea (gets rid of exotic weapon proficiency, gets improved unarmed strike)

Fax Celestis
2007-03-27, 05:04 PM
could you list some and what book they might be in? (stupid me and my small amount of D&D books)

Duskblade's Arcane Channeling ability (PHB-II). Smiting Spell metamagic (PHB-II). Spellsword (Complete Warrior). Suel Arcanamach (Complete Arcane).

hyikim
2007-03-29, 05:33 PM
so if i had a spell that let me have one spell charged per arm(spell flower, i think), and a spell that gave me 2 extra arms and let me attack with all of them, I could attack with 4 arms and deliver the damage from the 4 spells(1 per arm)???

that could add up to ALOT of damage, but it would get rid of most of my spells per day...

Fax Celestis
2007-03-29, 05:44 PM
Spell Flower + Thri-Kreen + girallon's blessing (SC) = six arms, six spells.

Krellen
2007-03-29, 05:48 PM
And six rounds to set yourself up with all those spells ready.

hyikim
2007-03-29, 07:00 PM
and belker claws

that would be 1d6 per arm, 2d12 per arm and thats...

6d6+12d12

EAT THAT TANKS!!!

Mewtarthio
2007-03-30, 12:07 AM
Hey, if you use a wand that has a touch spell as an improvised weapon, can you discharge the spell, too?

I'm aware that that would be useless, but I just like the imagery of a guy stabbing someone in the eye with a wand and then casting Shocking Grasp.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-30, 02:51 AM
There's a feat that lets you get a 1D6 whack in with your wand as you discharge the spell that's stored in it upon the whackee. Can't remember what it's called though.

Indon
2007-03-30, 03:36 AM
I do believe the feat is called "Wandstrike". Not the most creative name, but it's good enough.

Ikkitosen
2007-03-30, 03:46 AM
I do believe you're correct, thanks :)

Useless feat though, except for maybe sneak attacking a non-damaging wand like Ray of Enfeeblement.

EDIT: In fact, having re-read the feat they've even nerfed this use. What a crappy feat!