PDA

View Full Version : Dueling with thrown javelin

odigity
2014-12-03, 06:29 PM
"Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon."

Javelin is listed as a melee weapon that happens to be throwable. At the time you're about to throw it, you're wielding a melee weapon in one hand (and let's assume no other weapons). When you throw it, you should still get the +2, right?

Triclinium
2014-12-03, 06:31 PM
It is hardly gamebreaking if you do, even if it sounds a bit goofy at first. But dueling with guns is a thing, so I don't see why we couldn't have javelin duels.

Galen
2014-12-03, 07:09 PM
"Dueling
When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon."

Javelin is listed as a melee weapon that happens to be throwable. At the time you're about to throw it, you're wielding a melee weapon in one hand (and let's assume no other weapons). When you throw it, you should still get the +2, right?

No. By the time you get to roll damage, you are no longer wielding that javelin. But, you know what, whatever, as a DM I'd allow it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 07:36 PM
By mearles, a thrown weapons (when thrown) applies to archery fighting style.

Edit: stupid phone... And fat fingers..

Shadow
2014-12-03, 07:37 PM
No. By the time you get to roll damage, you are no longer wielding that javelin.

This.
By definition you are no longer wielding the weapon.... literally, the definition of the word wield is "to hold and use." Not to throw during use.
If you throw it, you are not wielding it.
This is an example of people trying to find a loophole in the rules to abuse the system in their favor, and I automatically ban any cases such as this on principal alone, regardless of how seemingly weak it may be.

bloodshed343
2014-12-03, 07:50 PM
This.
By definition you are no longer wielding the weapon.... literally, the definition of the word wield is "to hold and use." Not to throw during use.
If you throw it, you are not wielding it.
This is an example of people trying to find a loophole in the rules to abuse the system in their favor, and I automatically ban any cases such as this on principal alone.

That's a bit overbearing of you. Throwing weapons aren't even viable as it is. I would not only allow this but I would add a feat just for thrown weapons:

Timber Hurler Style:
-You may draw a javelin, spear, trident, or dart from a holster as part of the same action used to attack with it.
-Whenever you make a ranged attack with a javelin, spear, or trident and critically hit, the creature hit is immobilized. They may take an action on their turn to make a dc 8 + your proficiency modifier strength save to free themselves.
-Maybe a bonus action attack? I feel like throwing weapons are a bit faster than crossbows.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 07:52 PM
That's a bit overbearing of you. Throwing weapons aren't even viable as it is. I would not only allow this but I would add a feat just for thrown weapons:

Timber Hurler Style:
-You may draw a javelin, spear, trident, or dart from a holster as part of the same action used to attack with it.
-Whenever you make a critical hit with a javelin, the creature hit is immobilized. They may take an action on their turn to make a dc 8 + your proficiency modifier strength save to free themselves.
-Maybe a bonus action attack? I feel like throwing weapons are a bit faster than crossbows.

First part is already part of the rules.

You can draw a weapon as part of an action to attack with it.

bloodshed343
2014-12-03, 07:56 PM
Oh. Then:

-The critical hit thing.
-Whenever you hit with an attack with a one handed weapon, you may make a bonus action ranged attack with a javelin, spear, trident, or dart.
-You have advantage on ranged attacks made with a javelin, spear, trident, or dart against enemies within 15 feet of you.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 08:11 PM
Oh. Then:

-The critical hit thing.
-Whenever you hit with an attack with a one handed weapon, you may make a bonus action ranged attack with a javelin, spear, trident, or dart.
-You have advantage on ranged attacks made with a javelin, spear, trident, or dart against enemies within 15 feet of you.

This is already in Crossbow Expert. I think... The wording is something like "may make a attack with a one handed weapon as a bonus action" so that works fine.

I wouldn't grant advtage, rogues will love it.

Critical feats bug me in general, I hate that you train to do something IF you get a lucky hit in...

How about...

-When you attack with a one handed weapon you may, as a bonus action, attack with a one handed thrown weapon.
- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that deals piercing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to impose the grapple condition. Make an grapple attempt as normal within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the grapple attempt. A creature must beat your initial grapple roll in order to become free of the weapon.
- Increase the normal and long range of thrown weapons by a number of feet equal to your strength score.

Edit: Yes if you attack in melee with a trident you can then turn around and throw it at someone else to damage or grapple them.

Very versitile, useful, and fun!

bloodshed343
2014-12-03, 08:25 PM
This is already in Crossbow Expert. I think... The wording is something like "may make a attack with a one handed weapon as a bonus action" so that works fine.

I wouldn't grant advtage, rogues will love it.

Critical feats bug me in general, I hate that you train to do something IF you get a lucky hit in...

How about...

-When you attack with a one handed weapon you may, as a bonus action, attack with a one handed thrown weapon.
- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that deals piercing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to impose the grapple condition. Make an grapple attempt as normal within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the grapple attempt. A creature must beat your initial grapple roll in order to become free of the weapon.
- Increase the normal and long range of thrown weapons by a number of feet equal to your strength score.

Edit: Yes if you attack in melee with a trident you can then turn around and throw it at someone else to damage or grapple them.

Very versitile, useful, and fun!

The advantage was specifically added to make darts a good weapon for rogues, but I guess it's too much.

I don't like the ranged grapple as written. For one, it let's you pin them with a dart, which I think is too small to pin someone. Even if you got them right through the boot, they could just pick up their foot. Second, I think grapple let's you do other things than immobilize them.

I think the feat should also give you proficiency with improvised thrown weapons, but that might be too much.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 08:35 PM
The advantage was specifically added to make darts a good weapon for rogues, but I guess it's too much.

I don't like the ranged grapple as written. For one, it let's you pin them with a dart, which I think is too small to pin someone. Even if you got them right through the boot, they could just pick up their foot. Second, I think grapple let's you do other things than immobilize them.

I think the feat should also give you proficiency with improvised thrown weapons, but that might be too much.

1: A little too good but then again non-casters need nice things.

2: Fantasy game, the thrower is just that damn good. Maybe when throwing it the dart is buried and pulling it out just is too hard?

Or something like this
http://media.movideo.com/media-images-512/media/456898/300x168.jpg

3: That should be fine, they do damage based on your DM's whim so it isn't like you will get to crazy. Could be awesome. I would add it in.

Easy_Lee
2014-12-03, 08:40 PM
I would look to the Master Thrower PRC (http://kolidascope.wikia.com/wiki/Master_Thrower) from 3.5 for throwing weapon boons. Things like palm throw (advantage that attack if your sleight of hand check beats their perception check), doubletoss (throw two weapons, you don't add attribute to the damage dealt), or weak spot (attack AC10+Dex but don't add your attribute to the damage) could make throwing weapon builds a lot of fun and give them a unique feel.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 10:30 PM
Made a feat here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386667-Thrown-Weapon-Master-(Feat)&p=18485097#post18485097

Could use some help with a name for it as Thrown Weapon Master is sorta lame.

bloodshed343
2014-12-04, 09:55 AM
Made a feat here

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386667-Thrown-Weapon-Master-(Feat)&p=18485097#post18485097

Could use some help with a name for it as Thrown Weapon Master is sorta lame.

Call it Timber Hurler Style. >. <