PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Swordmage Build.

bloodshed343
2014-12-03, 07:00 PM
I got into a game that will let me playtest my homebrew:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385373-5e-Swordmage-homebrew

Now I just need to make the most broken build possible =D

Thanks for your help.

Giant2005
2014-12-04, 04:29 AM
Well the first thing I'd do is make sure I don't level past level 17! At 17 you pretty much have everything the class has to offer already and there is a nifty little bug that gives a level 17 Swordmage 10 extra Spell Slots. Then again you probably want to be taking a Martial class up to at least 5 to get the extra attack so that would ruin your level 17 bug.
I'd recommend something that gives the dual-wielding Fighting style for those 5 levels so you can add your primary stat to the damage of the off-hand weapon. That off-hand weapon would end up doing an outrageous base damage + wismod +intmod +3x conmod! Of course that is only a maximum of 5 points more than your main hand would be doing anyway.
Basically when you are getting so many bonuses to damage, you want to get as many attacks as possible. I'd go with Fighter 12/Swordmage 8. With a Quarterstaff and Polearm Mastery, you will end up with 5 attacks per round, each of which inflict incredibly high damage due to multiple damage bonuses applied to each attack.

Jlooney
2014-12-04, 09:18 AM
So I was reading your class and there a little tidbit I'd like some clarification on. The grimoire says it holds all knowledge you know. Can other people read it? Could they read every secret you've ever learned about anyone?

bloodshed343
2014-12-04, 09:26 AM
So I was reading your class and there a little tidbit I'd like some clarification on. The grimoire says it holds all knowledge you know. Can other people read it? Could they read every secret you've ever learned about anyone?

Hmm, that's a good point. I'll add a clause that clarifies it can only be read after you die.

To the above poster: You can't use a polearm or polearm mastery since you can only bond with swords. Taking fighter for extra attack would cut down your bonus damage. I'll have to do some more calculations regarding multi-classing.

And yeah, I see the error on my table now. I'll correct that :P.

Edit: the best that can be done is fighter 11/Swordmage 9, which makes 4 attacks per round with a +8 bonus on three attacks and a +11 bonus on the last (you lose one ASI this way so you can't max con or wis).

This is a little better than a full fighter with GWM, which is a problem I see no solution for at the moment. The brute force method would be to make the damage apply only on your first attack and your bonus action attack from two weapon fighting.

Jlooney
2014-12-04, 10:03 AM
Hmm, that's a good point. I'll add a clause that clarifies it can only be read after you die.

To the above poster: You can't use a polearm or polearm mastery since you can only bond with swords. Taking fighter for extra attack would cut down your bonus damage. I'll have to do some more calculations regarding multi-classing.

And yeah, I see the error on my table now. I'll correct that :P.

Edit: the best that can be done is fighter 11/Swordmage 9, which makes 4 attacks per round with a +8 bonus on three attacks and a +11 bonus on the last (you lose one ASI this way so you can't max con or wis).

This is a little better than a full fighter with GWM, which is a problem I see no solution for at the moment. The brute force method would be to make the damage apply only on your first attack and your bonus action attack from two weapon fighting.

How do you figure four attacks? Extra attacks from multiple classes don't stack. One for basic attack one for action surge...

bloodshed343
2014-12-04, 10:06 AM
You would get extra attack (2) from fighter, so three from basic attack and one for your bonus action attack.

Giant2005
2014-12-04, 10:48 AM
How do you figure four attacks? Extra attacks from multiple classes don't stack. One for basic attack one for action surge...

The Elemental Dervish Swordmage he designed gets an extra attack at level 2 that is written in a way that stacks with extra attacks of other classes.

bloodshed343
2014-12-04, 12:17 PM
The Elemental Dervish Swordmage he designed gets an extra attack at level 2 that is written in a way that stacks with extra attacks of other classes.

It's not an extra attack, it's the same attack you get for twf except it doesn't take your bonus action. I'm taking it out though.

Changing elemental blade to only affect the first attack made with each attuned weapon each turn. This solves the issue.