PDA

View Full Version : "Exotic" low level utility spells.

Renen
2014-12-03, 08:12 PM
Looking for some advice on this topic. I hope the dead horse can forgive me *picks up stick*.

I specifically want to know of spells like chain of eyes or hoard gullet.
Those two have some nice utility but are mentioned way less than prestidigitation for example. Anyone know similar less know but very interesting spells? Lvls 1 to 3 I guess will do. And wizard/sorc spell list.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-03, 09:08 PM
Ancient knowledge. (ECS) Gives a +5 bonus to one Knowledge check.
Friendly face.. (RoD) +5 Diplomacy and Gather Information.
Secret weapon. (City) +10-20 to hide a weapon.
Alibi. (EoE) The target thinks they've seen you at some point in the last 24 hours.
Decastave. (UE) Creates a quarterstaff of force—crushing wall traps will never trouble you again.
Allied footsteps. (CM) Target knows distance and direction to you (or your corpse, if you die).
Spymaster's coin. (CSc) Scry through a fine-sized object.
Price of loyalty.. (PGtE) Charm person, but only a focus component (so no one can detect you casting it) and the target doesn't realize he's been attacked if he succeeds on the save (so he'll never know).
Leomund's tiny igloo. (Frost) Despite the name, it works just fine in steamy jungles. It gives you temperature-controlled sleeping quarters for a second-level spell slot.
Speaking stones. (MoE) Two stones can each send a message to the other.
Dragoneye rune. (DrM) Like arcane mark on a creature or object, but you can scry on the target more easily and tell the direction and distance to it 2/day.
Cloak of Khyber. (CoS) A must-have for changelings—it makes your magical disguise impenetrable by magic, even true seeing.

Emperor Tippy
2014-12-03, 10:38 PM
Tiny Hut (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tinyHut.htm)

It doesn't seem like much until you read the last line, everyone inside has total concealment against everyone outside of it.

Cast it the first round of a fight, have your melee ready actions to attack any enemies that come within five feet of the edge (move action will get them from anywhere to most everywhere in the sphere and then they get a standard action attack against a flat footed enemy) while your ranged party members attack as well.

This is great if you have a ranged Rogue (or other sneak attack user) as they can apply sneak attack damage to every roll against enemies outside the sphere.

The sphere is also an Evocation and thus True Seeing can't penetrate it to see inside, meaning that even in higher level play it is a pretty decent tactical defense.

And it is cheap, being only a third level spell.

Milo v3
2014-12-03, 10:57 PM
Tiny Hut (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/tinyHut.htm)

Isn't that more a combat use than a utility use?

Either way, I like skinsend as it functions for spying, for terrifying people, do stuff while people are sure you're in jail or asleep. Though the strength reduction does limit it slightly.

Shatter is sometimes fun, since it can destroy any type of mundane object whether it's crystalline, metallic, jewelry, mechanical, fabric, dirt, etc.

Renen
2014-12-03, 11:42 PM
Ancient knowledge. (ECS) Gives a +5 bonus to one Knowledge check.
Friendly face.. (RoD) +5 Diplomacy and Gather Information.
Secret weapon. (City) +10-20 to hide a weapon.
Alibi. (EoE) The target thinks they've seen you at some point in the last 24 hours.
Decastave. (UE) Creates a quarterstaff of force—crushing wall traps will never trouble you again.
Allied footsteps. (CM) Target knows distance and direction to you (or your corpse, if you die).
Spymaster's coin. (CSc) Scry through a fine-sized object.
Price of loyalty.. (PGtE) Charm person, but only a focus component (so no one can detect you casting it) and the target doesn't realize he's been attacked if he succeeds on the save (so he'll never know).
Leomund's tiny igloo. (Frost) Despite the name, it works just fine in steamy jungles. It gives you temperature-controlled sleeping quarters for a second-level spell slot.
Speaking stones. (MoE) Two stones can each send a message to the other.
Dragoneye rune. (DrM) Like arcane mark on a creature or object, but you can scry on the target more easily and tell the direction and distance to it 2/day.
Cloak of Khyber. (CoS) A must-have for changelings—it makes your magical disguise impenetrable by magic, even true seeing.

Man... thats nice. Got any more? All of those are so good. 😀

Jeff the Green
2014-12-04, 12:02 AM
Man... thats nice. Got any more? All of those are so good. 😀

Not really, no. That's the result of my search for a 6th-level wizard who got 42 free spells from leveling up and a 50% chance of getting any other spell for free, but only 1st- or 2nd-level ones. I went dumpster diving and found some gems.

gorfnab
2014-12-04, 12:13 AM
Regal Procession (SC) - basic use is for transporting the party. Other uses are filling hallways or alleys with horses to stall pursuers, clutter a battlefield (wall of horse), cause a ship to list or sink (a riding horse weighs almost 1200 lbs, you get a horse/CL), etc.

Darrin
2014-12-04, 07:33 AM
Kaupaer's Quickblast (Online article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050112a), Sor/Wiz 1): Free/immediate/swift action (not sure which, 3.0 spell), autohits with either cold, electricity, or fire damage. Great way to quickly light something on fire (webs, incendiary slime, oil, etc.).

Negative Energy Ray (Tome & Blood, Sor/Wiz 1): Ray that deals 1d6/CL (max 5d6) negative energy damage, can heal undead.

Elemental Dart (Dragonlance Campaign Setting, Sor/Wiz 2): Ranged touch attacks with a la carte energy damage.

Lesser Fireball (Online article (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20020227a), Sor/Wiz 2): Wook at da iddle-widdie fireball!

Ray of Resurgence (Lost Empires of Faerun, Sor/Wiz 2): Removes Str damage and fatigue. Also available as a Cleric 1 spell, so you can pick up a wand cheap for only 750 GP.

Wall of Chains (BoVD, Sor/Wiz 3): Low-level wall spell to isolate creatures, divide the battlefield, or slow down pursuit.

Ruethgar
2014-12-04, 11:11 AM
Any spell with Dragon Magazine side effects, it has a line that can let you choose them yourself. Most of it isn't that powerful, but I wouldn't allow most of the Rod of Wonder to be chosen, especially on cantrips. AFB atm, but that same issue has several not very well known cantrips in it, resize armor to make it fit, summon a mirror to do your hair out in the wild, throw a flag above someone so as to scream "Kill Me!" and more.

Rebel7284
2014-12-04, 11:45 AM
Blockade is a great spell.

Rubik
2014-12-04, 12:00 PM
Mount. It's a summon spell with great utility (if you think about it a bit) that lasts 2 hours per level. It even has good uses in combat, especially when you stop to consider that it's a mobile wall that can still attack (albeit somewhat ineffectively). It can also spring traps, both mundane and magical. Beats the heck out of a Summon Monster I wand for most things for the same price.

NotScaryBats
2014-12-04, 02:11 PM
Telepathy Tap 3rd level Sanctified spell from BoED sounds really neat, but I have yet to actually find a time I would want to use it in a real game. The idea is neat though.

Sticky Floor 1st level Conj/Creation from Races of Dragon lasts 1hour/lvl and anyone that enters the area can become entangled and immobilized ("stuck in place"). Couple it with Alarm and I find it to be a really neat little 'don't sneak up on us' sort of thing.

Steal Size 2nd level from Races of Dragon is also super flavorful and could conceivably be used for intimidation

Fins to Feet 2nd level from Stormwrack is pretty cool if you want a walking shark or something like that. It is fun.

Milodiah
2014-12-04, 05:33 PM
One of my DMs actually invented Coca-Cola, using Prestidigitation (since it can permanently reflavor food/water, you can make it the nectar of the gods without even putting sugar in it). He then proceeded to abuse the scaling time & quantity Craft DC so that artisans could crank out hundreds of failed/mediocre-at-best bottles, then a caster would drop Shatter/Mend to make them good as new. He also used Warlocks instead of normal casters, so as to give Vancian magic the middle finger.

Just one example of many, though...in his hypothetical setting, even dwarven mining was replaced by nonstop warlock invocations. It's like Player Piano, but with warlocks instead of mechanization.