PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Thrown Weapon Master (Feats)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 08:22 PM
Because this should totally be a thing. Could use some help on the name as I'm not a huge fan of it.

Prerequisite: Strength 13

-When you attack with a one handed weapon you may, as a bonus action, make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon.

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that deals piercing or slashing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to impose the grapple condition. Make an grapple attempt as normal within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the grapple attempt. A creature must beat your initial grapple roll in order to become free of the weapon.

- You don't gain disadvantage for making a thrown weapon attack while threatened.

- You gain proficiency with improvises thrown weapons.

Edit: Yes if you attack in melee with a trident you can then turn around and throw it at someone else to damage or grapple them.

Prerequisite: Dexterity 13

-When you attack with a one handed weapon you may, as a bonus action, make a ranged attack with a thrown weapon.

- You don't gain disadvantage for making a thrown weapon attack while threatened.

- Thrown weapons count as ammunition for the purpose of drawing and attacking with them but not for recovery.

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to disarm the target. Make an Acrobatics versus (Athletics or Acrobatics) contest within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the disarm attempt. On a successful contest you disarm the creature and the weapon. Falls within 5' of them. If you have more than one attack you may use an additional throw to push the weapon up to 15' instead of letting it drop within 5' of the target.

Special: your weapon bounces off the target weapon and is pushes laterally 15' (your choice) and does not harm.

Prerequisite: Strength 13 or Dexterity 13, or Charisma 13

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to impose the demoralize condition until the end of your next turn. Make a Intimidation versus Insight contest against a target within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the contest attempt.

Demoralized: Fear based, when demoralized you have disadvantage against the creature that caused this effect when making attack rolls and contests against them. If an enemy tries to demoralize you more than once in an 8 hour period you gain advantage against the demoralize effect.

Prerequisite: Dexterity 13 or Wisdom 13

- Thrown weapons count as ammunition for the purpose of drawing and attacking with them but not for recovery.

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that does piercing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to screw up the target's ability to heal. Make a Medicine versus (Athletics or Acrobatics) contest against a tagret within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the contest attempt. On a successful contest the creature can't heal HP until the start of your next turn.

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that does piercing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to screw up the target's motor skills. Make a Medicine versus (Athletics or Acrobatics) contest against a tagret within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyond the normal range you have disadvantage on the contest. On a successful contest the creature, on it's next turn, violently and sporadically moves in a random direction at half speed. This uses the creature's move for the turn. This movement does not provoke OA's. Roll a d8 to determine which way the target moves (I'll add a table in some other time).

Prerequisites: Strength 13 or Dexterity 13, or Charisma 13

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to gain advantage on all Charisma checks involving the target for 5 minutes. If successful the target has advantage against against your Persuasion contests for 8 hours after the advantage wears off. Make a Persuasion versus Insight contest against a target within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the contest.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I kinda want to make a thrown weapon master subclass (fighter and rogue) that puts the battle master to shame (won't be hard).

bloodshed343
2014-12-03, 09:10 PM
Timber Hurler Style :)

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-03, 10:09 PM
Because this should totally be a thing. Could use some help on the name as I'm not a huge fan of it.

Prerequisite: Strength 13

-When you attack with a one handed weapon you may, as a bonus action, attack with a one handed thrown weapon.

- Whenever you attack with a thrown weapon that deals piercing damage you can forgo the attack and damage roll in order to impose the grapple condition. Make an grapple attempt as normal within the thrown weapon's range. If you go beyong the normal range you have disadvantage on the grapple attempt. A creature must beat your initial grapple roll in order to become free of the weapon.

- Increase the normal and long range of thrown weapons by a number of feet equal to your strength score.

Edit: Yes if you attack in melee with a trident you can then turn around and throw it at someone else to damage or grapple them.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

There's a little weirdness here. First, you can already make an attack with a light weapon in your off hand as a bonus action using two-weapon-fighting. You don't add your attribute, however, so that's a bit of an issue, but not one that needs a serious intervention IMO.

Second, it seems odd that you would make an athletics check with a thrown dagger. Perhaps it makes more sense to use the attack roll vs. an athletics or acrobatics check.

Third, why only piercing damage? A hand axe deals slashing damage and it seems fine to pin someone with it.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 10:28 PM
There's a little weirdness here. First, you can already make an attack with a light weapon in your off hand as a bonus action using two-weapon-fighting. You don't add your attribute, however, so that's a bit of an issue, but not one that needs a serious intervention IMO.

Second, it seems odd that you would make an athletics check with a thrown dagger. Perhaps it makes more sense to use the attack roll vs. an athletics or acrobatics check.

Third, why only piercing damage? A hand axe deals slashing damage and it seems fine to pin someone with it.

A feat is a good price to pay if part of it allows you to add your ability modifier to damage. If you didnt take the two fighting style this allows you to duplicate it... But only for thrown weapons.

Athletics is power of your body through strength. You wouldn't use finesse to pin someone just like shoving/grapple is Athletics and not Acrobatics. Using Athletics keeps the rules for grappling the same and you don't add new rules for it.

Adding slashing, not sure why I brain farted on that one.

Human Paragon 3
2014-12-03, 10:32 PM
A feat is a good price to pay if part of it allows you to add your ability modifier to damage. If you didnt take the two fighting style this allows you to duplicate it... But only for thrown weapons.

Athletics is power of your body through strength. You wouldn't use finesse to pin someone just like shoving/grapple is Athletics and not Acrobatics. Using Athletics keeps the rules for grappling the same and you don't add new rules for it.

Adding slashing, not sure why I brain farted on that one.

I think finesse is exactly what you're using. It's skill and aim that allows you to do that trick, not strength. I can respect wanting to keep the rule the same though.

Why not let them make the ranged attack as a bonus action if they made a ranged attack with a light weapon? Allows you to double toss light ranged weapons.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 10:52 PM
I think finesse is exactly what you're using. It's skill and aim that allows you to do that trick, not strength. I can respect wanting to keep the rule the same though.

Why not let them make the ranged attack as a bonus action if they made a ranged attack with a light weapon? Allows you to double toss light ranged weapons.

But strength is also precision. The higher the strength the better your aim will be.

You can double toss light ranged weapons but in order to pin someone down (grapple) you need force behind the throw. All the precision in the world via Dex won't matter if you don't have the force via Str to back it up.

So attack with a dagger (Dex) and throw the other dagger and make an athletics check to grapple.

The feat doesn't care if the first attack is light or not, just that it is a one handed weapon in melee or range. The first attack can even be a handcrossbow if you want.

The bonus action can be a normal attack or a grapple attempt as the grapple replaces an attacl roll and damage.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-03, 11:01 PM
Ok so I changed two things.

No more increase range based on Str. That can be done via the table or an Athletics check or however a DM wants to do it.

I added in an ability that allows you to ignore disadvantage for throwing while threatened. Without that this feat kinda sucks... Really kills the cool factor of running it and attack + throw attack when you never hit -_-

Easy_Lee
2014-12-05, 12:01 PM
It looks good, though I would add this: when making a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you may draw the weapon as part of the attack. The RAW doesn't make this clear, but it's necessary to make multiple thrown attacks each round.

I'd also say that this is good for strength throwers, but doesn't cover Dex throwers (knife-tossing rogues, etc). I might suggest an alternate like what you have, but with these options instead of the grapple and improvise options.

Once per round, you may throw two light thrown weapons as a single attack roll aimed at one or two targets, but you do not add your attribute to this damage.
Once per round, you may attempt to conceal a thrown weapon attack with a light weapon. Make a sleight of hand check opposed by the target's perception. If you win, that attack has advantage.

That would pretty well cover thrown weapons, I think.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-05, 12:43 PM
It looks good, though I would add this: when making a ranged attack with a thrown weapon, you may draw the weapon as part of the attack. The RAW doesn't make this clear, but it's necessary to make multiple thrown attacks each round.

I'd also say that this is good for strength throwers, but doesn't cover Dex throwers (knife-tossing rogues, etc). I might suggest an alternate like what you have, but with these options instead of the grapple and improvise options.

Once per round, you may throw two light thrown weapons as a single attack roll aimed at one or two targets, but you do not add your attribute to this damage.
Once per round, you may attempt to conceal a thrown weapon attack with a light weapon. Make a sleight of hand check opposed by the target's perception. If you win, that attack has advantage.

That would pretty well cover thrown weapons, I think.

By raw you can draw a weapon as part of the attack with it. If a DM wants to be a jerk and freak out over drawing thrown weapons then you have bigger issues at the table and no amount of feats will help.

Sounds like a second, related, but not the same feat is needed.

Acrobatic Throw will be geared more toward Dex base, the feat I made is more toward heavy thrown weapons and such.

Acrobatic Thrower coming soon...