PDA

View Full Version : Unused PC for a game that might not happen

DontEatRawHagis
2014-12-03, 10:56 PM
Every few years my friend decides to run a Super Villains campaign. First time we started out I was a cross between KGB and Scarecrow from batman. Second I was a demon that could jump from body to body.

Now my DM has her first kid on the way and though no one has said anything I'm starting to think I won't be able to use the PC I made for the new one. (She had us make them a year ago before so her brother in law could join, but he had to deploy to Middle East just as we were starting). From experience I don't think she'll have time to RP, especially run a game.

Anyone else ever been in a similar situation?

Incidentally the PC I created was a Mad Scientist who became evil as part of his mid-life crisis. His arch nemesis that foiled his evil schemes was actually a frien-emy who would hangout after the world destroying device was deactivated.

His goal, to convince his daughter to join the evil side. She rebelled against him by turning into a superhero.

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-04, 12:47 PM
I have couple of dozen characters for Campaigns that never happened or never made it past the first session. Hard to complain since I have reams of characters I created just to get them out of my head.

Red Fel
2014-12-04, 01:22 PM
Creating characters is kind of a hobby of mine. (In case you haven't seen my periodic build challenge threads in the 3.5 subforum.) Some get used, but sadly, many don't. Still, it's a fun exercise for me - I learn more about the game mechanics and neat little class features and abilities, I get to write some incredibly thorough backgrounds, I can plan things out and tweak long-term build designs without having to deal with the pressure of "Oh crap I have to level this thing up before tonight's session what do I do?" It's fun, and when I'm finished, I file them away for later. If I use them, great, and even if I don't, I can still look back over the character and admire the work I put into it.

It's like building model airplanes (or, in my case, Gundam) - yeah, building them is a lot of fun, but displaying them on my shelf and admiring my handiwork is pretty nice, too.

lytokk
2014-12-04, 02:11 PM
Plenty of them. Stats rolled out, character sheets made completely, and then the game never happens. Most of them end up in my folder of unused characters, which means I've always got something I could pull out if I get invited to play in a game. But, that probably won't happen so I just use them as NPC's in my world. One comes to mind, Thamiar Daybringer. Originally an elf cleric raised by humans who followed pelor. Many attempts to use him in a campaign adjusted him to a dwarven cleric raised by humans, to eventually being what he is now. Dwarven Cleric of Moradin, blinded by a hellhound, but given supernatural smithing abilities, as a cleric of Moradin should be. So officially retired to NPC status, but the character is still there.

blacklight101
2014-12-04, 05:56 PM
I do the same thing, almost. All the characters my wife and I have rolled up over the years are in a binder, if I ever DM, I have quite a few NPC's to draw from. Totally agree on it being a great thought exercise too, I have a blast making them- and that's almost any system.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-04, 10:12 PM
Right now, the only three I'm playing are in my sig (and Elidiel is in a game that's currently in transition as all but two players disappeared and we needed to bring in three new ones). Over the last several weeks I've been in the unpleasant position of being both having a fair amount of free time but also not being able to spend it in chunks greater than 15 minutes. So aside from homebrewing some monster classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386364-Creatures-you-d-like-to-play-but-which-are-impractical), I've been building characters I expect to not ever play, including

A sharn (ECL 9, casts as Sorcerer 6/Favored Soul 6 but as SLAs, gets two extra standard actions a round and 9 attacks on a full attack) Spell Sovereign with a blade of pain and fear living spell familiar to give him a bunch of instances of the spell to force nine saves versus fear every round.
A Vecna Blooded Shadow Walker Shadow Creature Riddled Child of Nature Mercury Dragon Wymling RHD 3/Warlock 1/Dragonfire Adept 1/Beguiler 2/Cloistered Cleric 1/Shadow Adept 1//Sorcerer 1/Archivist 1/Mystic Theurge 7 named β-Cinnabar of Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio gogogoch (possibly to replace the spellweaver if he bites it). Mostly I was trying to break my DM's Player/Character/Race/Class table in as many ways as I could and I doubted the forum administrators would let me make my user name long enough.
A changeling Spell Sovereign who can swap out the spell his living spell familiar is every round as the familiar's full-round action.
A yak folk Erudite/Walker in the Waste, except with a yak folk monster class that is basically an Artificer that only works with spell trigger items and a cold, psionic adaptation of WitW. Named གཡག་ རིན་པོ་ཆེ (G'Yag Rinpoche, Tibetan for "revered yak").
A cleric of Ilmater with the Heretic of the Faith feat who believes that since suffering purifies and humbles the soul so it can focus on helping others, it's his duty to torture aristocrats.
A son of the aristocracy/soldier who quit because he became disgusted with the nobility's abuse of the commonfolk, went to live in a disadvantaged neighborhood and fix things, and then made a Faustian bargain he thought was a servant of Tyr (using this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?186362-The-Dark-Saint-PrC-(PEACH)) PrC) and now is on the slippery slope downward.
A Shadowcaster//Factotum thrall to the Queen of Air and Darkness.
An archaeologist with a spirit of intellect grafted onto his brain.
An awakened cat that focuses on fear effects—including Perform (caterwauling—get it? :smalltongue:) to Inspire Awe, some feats to make anyone hit by his spell frightened with no save, and a really impressive Intimidate bonus.
A vampire that got stuck in a dungeon and survived by calling up demons and eating them.
A twisted Princess Jasmine (http://jeftoon01.deviantart.com/art/Twisted-Princess-Jasmine-105058755).
A were-gerbil.