PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Need questions to establish a setting

SiuiS
2014-12-04, 01:07 AM
The dilemma: a common complaint amongst our pickup games is that there's no setting for the players to dig into. Most DMs just say 'make a character' or 'let's play a pirate game' with absolutely no information about what that entails. Who are the factions? What are my motivations? Why should I care? There's a secondary problem of newer players having nothing to focus on, no draw to the world. People are barbarians but never of any tribe. Nobody is ever a soldier of any army, just 'a soldier'. And there are mild complaints about it, it keeps players from being on the same level optimization wise – because if I don't know how to be a good Flaeness Soldier, I'll just be a good Rogue 3/Fighter 2 or whatnot.

The solution: engage the players! I'm going to start my next campaign (likely in a week) with a sort of mini-game. I'll posit a scenario in history, give each person an actor or force, set up the scene and have the players create history. Build the campaign through the player's own actions and ideas, so they're invested.

The Thread: So I need help with scenarios and ideas. Places not only "here", wherever or whatever "here" will he for the players, but also foreign influences for trade, and war, and stories. I have vague ideas and I'm going to pinch quote liberally from history – I want to lead up to some Empire of Eagles and refluff bits of Greece and Rome through a Hollywood lens, romanticize Bedouin horse nomads, there's a build up of vague white-washed Viking culture to give a more Conan-esque Hyborian feel and I want to focus on classical era setting over standard D&D Europe. But specifics would be good because it's been so long since I've done something like this in public and I don't want to choke.

The things I'm looking for specifically are vignettes to slip players into. It is the distant past. An age when you held your iron close in the ring of firelight, and only tales of your victories keep the monsters in fear. Or so it was. Now, one man dates to change that. You [Player 1] are that man. History will remember you as both wise and utterly stupid. But the truth is much different. History fades things, makes them small enough to learn and forget.

The truth, Ergar, is that you are utterly selfish. Utterly ruthless. This isn't about safety. This is about power. You've gathered the clans here for a meet.

Where have you gathered them? The broken stones of an old, burnt hall? The ragged coast, eaten by the sea? Or the plains of the last old war a decade past?

You, [player 2], know Ergar brought this together to gather power somehow. But you've got a surprise for him. All that needs deciding is, do you come in good faith, or is this your time to shine?

[player 3], the wilds are not without their say. Wolves gather, wolves and worse. Maybe men can forge something enduring this day, but maybe the wilds test it or tear it down. You are mayure's red teeth. At the actions of the circle you may act as you please.

... I got a little prose-y there, unnecessarily. That could be expressed as player one is a war chief gathering the clans who is ruthless, choosing where to gather. Player two expects a trap, do they prepare beforehand. Player three is nature and the supernatural interfering. But that's the gist.

I want to maybe fill a session with important vignettes throughout history. I have no compunction a about giving players a script, telling them their role is to be the most wicked villain they can before being killed, or to sacrifice everything for the greater good and be bitterly disappointed. But I do want choice both in flavor and the shape of history, if at all possible. That means the right balance of few vignettes (more swing) and many vignettes (a shape to history, less wiggle). And more options comes from having more to carry pick!

I hope y'all can help, playground.

NoldorForce
2014-12-04, 01:16 AM
Are you terribly familiar with Microscope? Because that sounds like what you're trying to do.

SiuiS
2014-12-04, 01:48 AM
Are you terribly familiar with Microscope? Because that sounds like what you're trying to do.

Interesting. I've seen microscope but couldn't play it. And I'm aware that this is a lot like the rest of the games in that set, similar to apocalypse world and all. I'll have to try and snag it...

The real issue is my inherent biases and educational gaps – someone who knows more about ancient cultures could give me a lot of useful stuff I wouldn't even know I was missing. Someone really into the sedentary politics of Rome and it's logistical accomplishments could do me better tha. My own "rah rah empire", and I know absolutely nothing of Scandinavian trade other than "viking culture was part of it, but they were also prodigious traders and explorers".

I'm gonna write my own stuff for sure, but there's limits to me. :smallsmile: