PDA

View Full Version : Nonspellcaster Arcane Archer?

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 08:31 AM
I want to make a not-bad arcane archer 10, but it's not a caster (at least, not a primary one) so here's what I was thinking build-wise:

I was thinking Duskblade 1 / Ranger 5 / Arcane Archer 10. At least, I think (I'm AFB, so it may not work). What does the playground think?

eggynack
2014-12-04, 08:38 AM
Seems un-good. Aside from imbue arrow, everything is just once/day abilities that are strictly mediocre, and small numerical bonuses. Imbue arrow is really the only point of the class, and if you can't really use it because of poor casting, then there's not much point to the whole thing.

Psyren
2014-12-04, 08:55 AM
I think you should IRL Diplomacy your DM into letting you use the PF Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer) instead.

Nightraiderx
2014-12-04, 09:03 AM
Strangely, this can still work.
I believe first level duskblades have access to keglore's bolt. (small area fire spell 1d6/lvl (max 5d6) partial resist)

With practiced spell caster, you can throw a 5d6 kelgore's bolt on an arrow with imbue arrow.

Knowledge devotion is great. (since you have the base) I would go with the spell-less ranger alt from complete champion and grab a 4th level feat towards your archery. Your animal companion will be suffering from lack of synergy, so either get a riding one (like a horse) or trade it away for distracting attack (player's handbook II) so looking at the class, you get +5 arrows, and a few special arrows per-day. Arrow of Death is lackluster (Fort Save 20).

So you save on equipment and can customize bows with more enhancements. It's not going to win a battle against a sniper/swift hunter in terms of damage but It has a broader effect.

edit: if you want to make a not bad arcane archer, you either need to do what was mentioned earlier and get pf arcane archer or dip in for the imbue arrow and then take other prc's to your liking.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 09:25 AM
I think you should IRL Diplomacy your DM into letting you use the PF Arcane Archer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/core-rulebook/arcane-archer) instead.

Then you should remind yourself that no one is benefiting from the class beyond Imbue Arrow.

I mean, Hail of Arrows is the 3.5 Arrowstorm spell... a spell that is considered pretty mediocre and unpopular. Oh, it can't be put on a wand and it's worse and usuable only once. Straight Ranger is better if you can't cast a lot of area spells.

gorfnab
2014-12-04, 02:00 PM
If you want 10 levels of Arcane Archer, want a Duskblade base, and not be a primary caster consider Susan the Arcane Archer (3rd post down by carnivore) (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.20).

holywhippet
2014-12-04, 04:53 PM
Seems un-good. Aside from imbue arrow, everything is just once/day abilities that are strictly mediocre, and small numerical bonuses. Imbue arrow is really the only point of the class, and if you can't really use it because of poor casting, then there's not much point to the whole thing.

Not quite. The other potential use for the arcane archer lies in the +5 bonus they have to all their bow attacks once they have finished leveling up. That means you only need a +1 enchantment on your actual bow before you add other enchantments and still end up with +5 to hit and damage. You can use the other 4 enchantment slots for whatever you want. Archery is potentially the most over powered form of attack when you consider that all the enchantments on your bow and your arrows stack provided none of them are the same. Throw in some feats that allow you to fire even more arrows (and splitting if your DM is crazy enough to allow it) and you've got a serious damage dealer.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 05:38 PM
Not quite. The other potential use for the arcane archer lies in the +5 bonus they have to all their bow attacks once they have finished leveling up. That means you only need a +1 enchantment on your actual bow before you add other enchantments and still end up with +5 to hit and damage. You can use the other 4 enchantment slots for whatever you want. Archery is potentially the most over powered form of attack when you consider that all the enchantments on your bow and your arrows stack provided none of them are the same. Throw in some feats that allow you to fire even more arrows (and splitting if your DM is crazy enough to allow it) and you've got a serious damage dealer.

... Cast Greater Magic Weapon. Tooth of Leraje, if 3.5 is allowed. 20 CL GMW 1/day.

eggynack
2014-12-04, 06:22 PM
I had that under "small numerical bonuses," cause they're small numerical bonuses. This is especially the case because of GMW, as Snowbluff mentioned. A +4 to attack and damage isn't bad, certainly, but it's not all that great either.

A_S
2014-12-04, 10:39 PM
Strangely, this can still work.
I believe first level duskblades have access to keglore's bolt. (small area fire spell 1d6/lvl (max 5d6) partial resist)

With practiced spell caster, you can throw a 5d6 kelgore's bolt on an arrow with imbue arrow.
Doesn't work; Imbue Arrow only functions with AoE spells.

Nightraiderx
2014-12-05, 07:49 AM
Doesn't work; Imbue Arrow only functions with AoE spells.

Looked up Kelgore's, and here I thought it had a 5 ft radius spread, that said never mind.

Psyren
2014-12-05, 09:29 AM
... Cast Greater Magic Weapon. Tooth of Leraje, if 3.5 is allowed. 20 CL GMW 1/day.

I think he's talking about the 3.5 AA, which gets +5 arrows. The PF AA only gets +1 (and some free attributes.)

Snowbluff
2014-12-05, 09:37 AM
I think he's talking about the 3.5 AA, which gets +5 arrows. The PF AA only gets +1 (and some free attributes.)
Yeah, I was going to point out Holy Fire. How much GP is 10 levels worth? A whole lot more than that.