PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Edritch Knight and Arcane Trickster

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-04, 10:54 AM
So here's something counter-intuitive: If you combine EK and AT, you get a character who less capable at magic instead of more capable, or even just on-par, when compared to a pure EK or AT. Since according to the multiclass rules you count your EK and AT levels, divide by 3 and round down, you'll always be getting your next level spell slots 2 levels later, and you'll never get a 4th level spell slot. (20 divided by 3 is just short of 7, so you top out as a 6th level caster which only gets you 3rd level slots).

A pure EK/AT learns 13 spells. The mixed class would learn 14, though it will be learning 3rd level spells from only one of the two classes' lists.

I suppose it shouldn't be a complete surprise, since if I were mixing full casters I'd get similar results, getting increased spell variety instead of higher level spells. Still seems odd.

Are there variant multi-classing rules in the DMG?

Demonic Spoon
2014-12-04, 11:00 AM
Why does this seem odd?

EK and Arcane Trickster focus on different subsets of the Wizard spell list, and they are both 1/3 casters. An EK/Arcane Trickster is first and foremost a fighter/rogue.

GWJ_DanyBoy
2014-12-04, 11:27 AM
I guess my brain was just operating a bit linearly. If I have two containers with 1/3rd oil and 2/3rds vinegar and I mix them then the mix is still 1/3rd oil and 2/3rds vinegar.

But I guess this would be more like a container of balsamic and olive oil and another with malt vinegar and peanut oil. The ratios are the same, but the combinations aren't.

Ghost Nappa
2014-12-04, 12:20 PM
And somewhat hysterically, you could go 10 and 10 and/or pick up reasonably more feats than most other people.

Kind of really want to see AT/EK @ 20 in a Gestalt campaign.

Fighter/Rogue first with a lot of personal magical support.