PDA

View Full Version : Help me name a sword!

Talya
2014-12-04, 12:43 PM
Brainstorming ...

Custom weapon, it's a falchion (Great Scimitar) for an ECL 17ish Paladin.

It will follow the pattern of the Holy Avenger, but be specifically themed after the Order of the Ruby Rose (Sune-worshipping knights of beauty.)

I've been brainstorming for days and drawing blanks...

Tarlek Flamehai
2014-12-04, 12:52 PM
Beauty's Edge
Sirroco's Kiss
Edge of Grace

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-04, 12:58 PM
Rosie the Reaper

Hieronymus Slash

The Word (it's wielder is always trying to get The Word in edgewise)

Beauty (it always cuts more than skin deep)

Spiryt
2014-12-04, 01:40 PM
In English? :smallbiggrin:

Cause

"Rose Blade"

could be good enough,though as far as I'm aware, in German it would actually have perfect double meaning of both "leaf" and "blade".

NotScaryBats
2014-12-04, 01:54 PM
How about Rougehew? It's a pun on rouge and hue, but spelled hew because it is a sword.

Elricaltovilla
2014-12-04, 01:56 PM
In English? :smallbiggrin:

Cause

"Rose Blade"

could be good enough,though as far as I'm aware, in German it would actually have perfect double meaning of both "leaf" and "blade".

Out of curiosity, what would the name be in German? Google Translate sucks at telling me these things.

ArqArturo
2014-12-04, 01:59 PM
Sune's Kiss of Steel.

Crimson Field.

Sune's Conflagration.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 02:10 PM
A few of my favorites, alter as you see fit:

Mercy. (I've only used it ironically).

Slender Hand of Oblivion.

Curves of Absolution.

Rougehew is a good pun, though.

lytokk
2014-12-04, 02:13 PM
Thorn. Every rose has it's thorn. Small name for a big weapon though.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 02:22 PM
Thorn. Every rose has it's thorn. Small name for a big weapon though.
Like this? :smalltongue:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130329073108/destinypedia/images/6/61/Thorn.jpg

Raphite1
2014-12-04, 02:23 PM
After the sword gets named, I really hope that Sandor Clegane makes a cameo in your campaign, to give his opinion on the matter.

ArqArturo
2014-12-04, 02:24 PM
A few of my favorites, alter as you see fit:

Mercy. (I've only used it ironically).

A friend had a half-elf barbarian with a weapon called Diplomacy. He also had ranks in the Diplomacy skills so the DM had to ask when he said "I'll use Diplomacy" :p.

Snowbluff
2014-12-04, 02:33 PM
A friend had a half-elf barbarian with a weapon called Diplomacy. He also had ranks in the Diplomacy skills so the DM had to ask when he said "I'll use Diplomacy" :p.

A lot of guns in Destiny do this.

My bro has a machine called "Super Good Advice." Whenever we fight wizards, who are weak to it, he says "I have some Super Good Advice for fighting wizards..." then trails off. When people asks him to finish, he either repeats himself or shoots the wizards. EDIT: I am suggesting Super Good Advice. :P

He has a rocket launcher called Truth that you can't escape...

I have a Fusion Rifle called Plan C, but it's so good Plan A is run and Plan B is let myself get shot to death. I'm not inclined to do either.

SamsDisciple
2014-12-04, 02:46 PM
Ah man if only it were a great club your paladin could be the holy bearer of "The Ugly Stick"
A worshiper of beauty would want to inflict the worst punishment possible on their foes and a charisma drain and/or bestow curse weapon could definitely do that. Otherwise I would go for "Beautiful Silence" as it silences the ugly and leaves the beautiful alone.

Red Fel
2014-12-04, 02:48 PM
I'm going to go in a less "beauty" direction and a more "Sune" direction. Remember, Sune is the goddess of beauty, love, and passion. A weapon is meant to hurt things, and what can Sune offer that hurts more than anything else? I give you Heartbreak. (Or Heartrender, if you prefer.)

Come on, she's a CG love goddess. You know she's got to have a vengeful streak. Most love goddesses tend to. So let's go with something in that vein: Woman Scorned. Give it some bonus fire damage. That adds to the "Lady Firehair" imagery, and gives a bonus "Hell hath no fury" to it.

Spiryt
2014-12-04, 02:57 PM
Out of curiosity, what would the name be in German? Google Translate sucks at telling me these things.

"Rosenblatt" - and as far as I know, "Blatt" is still OK for both 'leaf' and 'blade' meanings.

It's apparently common German/Jewish surname now, though, so that may spoil effect a bit.:smalltongue:

Randomguy
2014-12-04, 02:59 PM
Since it's a curved word, how about The Crescent Rose?

Zubrowka74
2014-12-04, 04:34 PM
Speaking of German... The Mannschaft? Cause you know, it's slightly curved with a purplish tip...

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-04, 04:40 PM
Speaking of German... The Mannschaft? Cause you know, it's slightly curved with a purplish tip...

Dude gross.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-04, 04:44 PM
For a paladin? I vote Durandal.

Fax Celestis
2014-12-04, 05:23 PM
"Heartbriar" or "Whitethorn", maybe?

"Vindicator" is a perennial favorite for my weapons.

"Serial Peacemaker"? (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2003-09-16)

Or you could take a page from Neal Stephenson and name it Reason. Then you can use such caustic one-liners as "I'm sure they'll listen to Reason."

Fitz10019
2014-12-04, 05:25 PM
Divorce
Lethal Separation
Sune's Lament
The Apothecary

Blackhawk748
2014-12-04, 05:49 PM
I'm going to go in a less "beauty" direction and a more "Sune" direction. Remember, Sune is the goddess of beauty, love, and passion. A weapon is meant to hurt things, and what can Sune offer that hurts more than anything else? I give you Heartbreak. (Or Heartrender, if you prefer.)

Come on, she's a CG love goddess. You know she's got to have a vengeful streak. Most love goddesses tend to. So let's go with something in that vein: Woman Scorned. Give it some bonus fire damage. That adds to the "Lady Firehair" imagery, and gives a bonus "Hell hath no fury" to it.

Im seconding Heartrender

atemu1234
2014-12-04, 05:57 PM
BGDS- Big Gods-Damned Sword.

paperarmor
2014-12-04, 07:44 PM
Prickly Pete? (Better for a Rapier)

I'd go with something slightly ironic like the Petal of Sune, Sun's Mirror, Beauty's Edge or maybe something like Sune's Vanity (as in mirror not that gods of beauty are ever vain.)

DJroboninja
2014-12-04, 11:22 PM
Im seconding Heartrender

Thirded. It fits the beauty and love themes, while still sounding super badass

Meth In a Mine
2014-12-04, 11:26 PM
Talya's Crit-Tastic Person Cuter.

Marlowe
2014-12-04, 11:47 PM
Rejection.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-04, 11:49 PM
On a similar vein as Heartbreak or Rejection: Separator. From the "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate" part of weddings, but also because it separates heads from torsos.

One Step Two
2014-12-05, 12:05 AM
Firstly, want to say, I love the Holy avenger, it's always been such an iconic weapon for Paladins, and super useful.

Blooming Flower of Scarlet
Crimson Petal Blade
The Lasting Kiss
Ruby Heart Guardian

Jeff the Green
2014-12-05, 12:12 AM
Hmm. "Farewell Kiss"? "Sweet Sorrow"? "Widowmaker"? (You're a Paladin, you should be reminding yourself that smiting has consequences beyond stopping bad guys.) "Lovers' Lament"? "Regret"?

Amaril
2014-12-05, 12:14 AM
I cannot possibly second Heartbreak strongly enough. It just seems so perfectly iconic for a goddess like Sune. Plus, I think one-word names always sound cooler, but that's more a personal thing :smalltongue:

A_S
2014-12-05, 12:16 AM
Sell me a ticket for the Heartbreak bandwagon.

Riculf
2014-12-05, 03:29 AM
On a bit of a theme here but:

Crimson Cleaver
Crimson Cresent
Claret Letter
Claret Drinker
Evil's Relief
Evil's Release

ILM
2014-12-05, 06:11 AM
Thirded. It fits the beauty and love themes, while still sounding super badass
Fourthded. Actually sixthded if my count is right. Anyway, you do what you want but I'm definitely nicking the name. :smallwink: (edit: to be specific, I've got a preference for Heartbreak over Heartrender, but both are pretty cool. Hey look, twin blades!)

Talya
2014-12-05, 08:23 AM
Nice responses. I need to take some time and go through them.

Zubrowka74
2014-12-05, 10:44 AM
Dude gross.

Hey, it is Sune we're talking about.

Talya
2014-12-05, 11:17 AM
Thanks to everyone who replied (and still welcome more suggestions). My personal favorites so far, in no particular order:

The Crescent Rose (makes no sense, but sounds really good - I tried many other combinations with Crescent as-an-adjective afterward.)
Heartbreak
Farewell Kiss
Sweet Sorrow
Lover's Lament

A bit of background on this paladin - she's my Sunite-Oracle-Heartwarder's cohort. She's a half celestial ruby rose knight (the 3.5 Ruby Rose Knight substitution levels are no longer needed in PF - the "Oath against grotesquery" fits it perfectly), a human-half celestial. DM set the half-celestial CR change to +2 flat, so we're level 18, she's 14 (18 -2 for Cohort, -2 for template).

Amaril
2014-12-05, 02:54 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied (and still welcome more suggestions). My personal favorites so far, in no particular order:

The Crescent Rose (makes no sense, but sounds really good - I tried many other combinations with Crescent as-an-adjective afterward.)

In case it's of any interest, this name is taken from RWBY, the anime-style web series by Rooster Teeth about teenage girls in a magitech fantasy setting fighting monsters with ridiculously impractical but awesome weapons. Crescent Rose is a gunscythe used by the main character, Ruby Rose.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-05, 02:58 PM

I once heard of Damascus steel scimitars referred to as "rose swords" so this name actually seems thematic to me. Sadly the internet seems to have lost that reference. IF nothing else you can just add a rose pattern to the whorls formed in the steel.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-05, 03:05 PM
I once heard of Damascus steel scimitars referred to as "rose swords" so this name actually seems thematic to me. Sadly the internet seems to have lost that reference. IF nothing else you can just add a rose pattern to the whorls formed in the steel.

Possibly due to a connection to the Damask rose (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosa_%C3%97_damascena). I couldn't fine a reference to "rose swords" either, though.