PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to block flying?

With a box
2014-12-04, 01:06 PM
I really want to use a bridge made by great shadow conjuration of wall of stone. (leap of faith)
but it's 7th spell and when it comes online, everyone flys.:smallfrown:

Asrrin
2014-12-04, 01:27 PM
the 2nd level spell Earthbind would do it.

Rebel7284
2014-12-04, 01:30 PM
Dark Way is a cleric 2 spell that specifically conjures a bridge.

There are several spells that interfere with flying including Wingbind and Downdraft.

Also, you can play a game of Magic the Gathering and cast some creatures with reach.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-04, 01:34 PM
Have a huge windstorm being going on. It with wreck medium sized fliers and it with make your leap of faith even more harrowing.

NotScaryBats
2014-12-04, 01:57 PM
Are you worried about (Ex) or (Su) flying? I've heard tell that an Invisible Spell Wall of Stone makes nonmagical stone that is invisible, so if you want to have an antimagic shell over the area that nullifies all the (Su) flying, ostensibly the Invisible Wall of Stone would be unaffected.

Similar concept, I hope.

Flickerdart
2014-12-04, 01:59 PM
Ceilings.

Ceilings with darkmantles on them.

Jormengand
2014-12-04, 02:24 PM
Reversed Seek the Sky will block flying for five rounds. The only problem is the part where you're spending seven levels being a truenamer to do it.

ArqArturo
2014-12-04, 02:30 PM
Storm Elementals. Lots and lots of Storm Elementals.

aleucard
2014-12-04, 02:39 PM
You could also take a page out of Dark Souls 2 and Harry Potter's playbooks and fill the sky with things that'll only get aggressive to things that try to get airborne beyond jumping. Maybe make them some flavor of Construct or Undead that takes orders so it makes sense for that to be their routine.

Cenric
2014-12-04, 02:44 PM
Have a huge windstorm being going on. It with wreck medium sized fliers and it with make your leap of faith even more harrowing.

This, its the easiest way, the rules for flying in a storm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm) make it really nasty to try to get anywhere. If theyre all medium all you need is a 35mph wind blowing across the pit.

kaffalidjmah
2014-12-04, 03:29 PM
When my player party fly too much in a controlled environment (you are against a mage,for example) i usually trow an air monolith (complete arcane) supported by some smaller elemental (i do this at level 16-17) or i launch a contingency disjunction (for spell) or a...ok i'm italian, is a druid 9/8 spell that create a tornado, i don't remember the proper name. The mage can trow it because he hire a druid, or is already a domain mage with the right spell

daremetoidareyo
2014-12-04, 03:55 PM
You approach the end of the corridor illuminated by natural daylight spilling in from the exit. Outside the cave you are standing at the edge of what seems like an uncharted natural bowl cut into the mountain by what looks like it was worn down by a churning lake. With bright cold sunlight spilling down to illuminate the basin, you see a 10 foot wide ledge hewn into both your side of the mountain and another cave entrance 300 feet ahead of you, roughly level with where you are standing. Looking down, it appears to be a 250 foot drop to the lake at the bottom of a cone of jagged rocks, sprouting from which are thorny trees. The land here is an austere beauty. How are you going to get to the other side of the corridor with this unexpected terrain?

Dwarfs have a DC 30 sloping passages check, from which a success renders as +2 circumstantial bonus for their will save to disbelieve...

A cube shaped Permanancied Major image spell overlaid onto a large underground room. The illusion's floor takes place from a level area where the PCs stepped out to the ceiling, with the four walls illusioned to be the side of the cove. The actual floor is 50 below from the ledge that the PCs step on to the other side. It is a nasty pit trap full of hungry giant scorpions and paragon huge jumping bird eating spiders (to mid-air grapple flyers) taking up the bottom of the entire floor of the real room. Ceiling height is about 7 feet tall. Gnomish illusionist consultant on the dungeon design team obviously...

After the illusion is broke, PCs can notice that there is a Food chute carved into ceiling by whoever built this underground dungeon, with hill giants who live right above the dungeon who routinely throw their food wastes down what they think is a convenient garbage hole: This is really an impromptu solution by gnomes/kobolds dungeon design team to feed their guard spiders & scorpions.

Flying can solve the problem... But PCS take off and crash to the masked ceiling (which looks like open sky) just above their heads. And then they get tackled by a spider that seems to have materialized from just underneath them. They get dragged them down to a spider scorpion grapple 3 way below the illusion masked inner cube.

The leap of faith could become very helpful in this situation.

Sometimes, PCs need to hurt and/or die to feel alive.

mabriss lethe
2014-12-04, 04:03 PM
A Radiant Idol (Sharn, p.180) could be involved. Admittedly, they only nullify magical flight, and only within 30 feet, but it's a start.

Milodiah
2014-12-04, 05:20 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/jWhXUQPPdFw/hqdefault.jpg

For some reason I've always wanted to shove modern-style anti-aircraft warfare into D&D, simply because I also include aerial combat (it's startling how little it actually shows up in mainstream D&D, considering how powerful it can be)...less magical Fly spells and more flying mounts, however. The heaviest thing I've done is use Incendiary Cloud as magic flak, popping it up in front of flying enemies...Wall of Fire can be used in a similar fashion at a much lower level. Wind spells are viable, but an important option is to go for stun/knockout/freeze effects. Hold Person, Deep Slumber, etc. can be devastating to a flying creature, because it's a long way to the ground...