PDA

View Full Version : Iaijutsu Fighter PEACH

Yaitanos
2014-12-04, 01:08 PM
So, idea for a fighter who uses Iaijutsu Focus. Built mostly for giggles. Please read it over and leave comments, critiques, suggestions and the like. But remember, lets keep it friendly.

Our DM allows us to take flaws at levels other than first, so the level given by the flaw name is the level the flaw will be taken. He also doesn't care about fighter bonus feats. If it's accessible to the standard fighter, any variant can take it. It's just the special abilities that are limited to the variants.

The idea is a guy who uses a Great hammer with his Iaijutsu. Cause who would see that coming when he's got a fancy katana on his side? He really only uses the katana in Iaijutsu duels with proper Samurai, since even though he's chaotic he still follows a code of honor. I tried to go the route that would allow me to make everything into an attack of opportunity, and let him take advantage of his Mercurial strike, which would let him use the Iaijutsu. Can't figure out how to sheathe a weapon as a free action though.

I considered using Skill Prodigy to make Iaijutsu Focus a class skill, but I like the fact that Flexible mind not only makes it a class skill, but also gives a small bonus to it.

Race- Human
Class- Exoticist Fighter (Proficient with; Goliath Great-hammer, Katana, War fan, Bone bow)
Traits- Illiterate (point going into Iaijutsu focus), Musclebound
Flaws- Vulnerable(1st), Inattentive(5th)

[x]= feat granted by class, [y]= feat granted by race, [z]= feat granted by flaw

Lvl-Feat
1 -Quick draw, Flexible Mind(Iaijutsu focus and bluff)[y], Combat Reflexes[x], Combat Expertise[z]
2 -Dodge[x]
3 -Karmic strike
4 -Close Quarters Defense[x]
5 -Mercurial Strike[z]
6 -Improved Combat Reflexes, Canny Opportunist[x]
7 -N/A
8 -Exploit Adjustment[x]
9 -Hold the Line
10-Blind Fight[x]
11-N/A
12-Mage Slayer, Greater Combat Reflexes[x]
13-N/A
14-Power attack[x]
15-Deft Opportunist
16-Defensive sweet[x]
17-N/A
18-Occult Opportunist, Improved Sunder[x]
19-N/A
20-To be decided

Seffbasilisk
2014-12-04, 05:31 PM
You have blind-fight, and ways to take AoOs. If you could find a way to swing in something like blindsight 5ft so you could take those AoO's in darkness, it'd be really keen.

Pierce Magical Concealment would help you tag'm, instead of Improved Sunder.

If you could hold your sheathe in such a way that the teleporting property popped the sword back into it for you, you could drop your hammer after the hit, and have it sheathed, but that's one square specific.

Also, if you want to use Iaijutsu focus on items? Eventually you'll want a weapon of Adamantine. There's no rules for Newton's 3rd, but it's cinematical. Additionally? Bypassing Hardness is sweet.

paperarmor
2014-12-04, 08:01 PM
Get a Gnome Quickrazor from Races of stone it lets you draw and sheathe it as a free action and thus Iajutsu full attacks. another problem with all Iajutsu build is that the enemy must be flat footed to be hit with it so you'll need a reliable way to inflict flat footed consistantly. Warblade's good for that.

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-04, 10:56 PM
There's another current thread with a fair few ideas on Iaijutsu Focus here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385282-One-handed-swordsman-build).

Some points:

Warblade is good
Martial Study if no Warblade - Death from Above, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, and (with extra actions) White Raven Strike are too good
Factotum is amazeballs. Defacto suggestion if you want to Iaijutsu
Skill tricks such as Collector of Stories, Acrobatic Backstab, Hidden Blade
Knowledge Devotion will add damage
Get Balance to 5 ranks so you can use Grease or marbles
Find a way to get Invisibility or the like
It's all about the flat footed condition
Ask DM if the Quick Draw feat gives you "Quick Sheathe"
Gnomish Quickrazor - ask DM if you can get its ability on the warhammer
Masterwork tool for Iaijutsu Focus

Yaitanos
2014-12-05, 06:36 AM
I considered factotum heavily, but since I wanted the bonus feats from fighter, which opens up more opportunities for AOOs, I went with that. I will probably switch out the war fan proficiency for the quick-blade. Mercurial strike allows me to hit targets of my AOOs flatfooted.

What would be a good masterwork tool for iaijutsu focus?

Red Rubber Band
2014-12-07, 07:25 PM
I considered factotum heavily, but since I wanted the bonus feats from fighter, which opens up more opportunities for AOOs, I went with that. I will probably switch out the war fan proficiency for the quick-blade. Mercurial strike allows me to hit targets of my AOOs flatfooted.

What would be a good masterwork tool for iaijutsu focus?

It could be a greased/masterfully created sheathe that enables you to draw your weapon quicker. Or it could be an aid that helps you to focus yourself at the beginning of each day. A specific stone you use to sharpen your blade or an oil that you coat it with.