PDA

View Full Version : V. Human Urchin Fighter (Adventure League)

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-04, 10:26 PM
Howdy playground!

I've never been in any organize play before so I wanted to run this by some folks and see if it might be too much for organize play.

V. Human

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Insight
Background Skills: Sleight of Hand, Stealth
Background Tools: Disguise Kit, Thieves Tools
Race Skills: Perception

AC: 15
Save Throws: Strength and Dexterity

Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)
Shillelagh (Cantrip)
Thorn Whip (Cantrip)
Goodberry or Entangle or Cure Wounds (1st Level) (depends on party make up)

(Note: in organize play you may change things upon level up till 5, at least that is what I was told, so I have until 5th level to figure out what 1st level spell I will have from this feat.)

For the time being I'm going to build this as level 5

Monk 2/Land Druid 2/Open Fist Monk 1

I'll make a level 20 progression later, probably Monk 5/Druid 15. Pumping Dex and Wis will be my priority.

Fighter 1 (Urchin) aka Zanzibar The Warden

Str: 10
Dex: 14
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 12

Class Skills: Acrobatics, Perception
Background Skills: Slieght of Hand, Stealth
Race Skill: Insight

AC: 15 (17 w/shield)

Feat: Magic Initiate (Druid)
Shillelagh (Cantrip)
Thorn Whip (Cantrip)
Fog Cloud (1st Level)

Fighting Style: GWF

Equipment

Chainshirt
Shield (only used when needed)
2 Druid Focus Quarterstaffs (2 handed primarily)
Sling
Dagger
Handaxe

Basic Idea: Lived in the woods but stole from a nearby city. Sympathize with goblins and other creatures that had to fight for survival. Very in tune with nature. Very anti-establishment but understands the use of governments and such but has found peace and enlightenment.

Normally when fighting with his quarterataff he... Well, kinda sucks. Not horrible but not great either. But when he calls upon the power of nature he becomes a beast with his quarterstaff and thorn whip.

Not very big on ranged combat he will try to hide and sneak around to get the drop on enemies. If cornered or under duress, will use fog cloud or other ability as a distraction to escape.

I may add a level or two of rogue (expertise and cunning action) to give him some boost in skills and mobility.

I'm thinking Fighter 2/Rogue 2/Fighter X, where x is wherever the hell this guy ends.

1: Do you think this might be a bit much for an organize play event?

2: Is GWF Style decent with a d8 weapon?

3: Should I exchange Fog Cloud for something like Good Berry or Cure Wounds? I'm keeping the cantrips the way they are even though I could really UAE a range option.

4: Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance :)

Thanks guys, you helped me out quite a bit. Fighter is good but if I want to go druid monk fits just as well :).

Giant2005
2014-12-04, 11:35 PM
1: Do you think this might be a bit much for an organize play event?

2: Is GWF Style decent with a d8 weapon?

3: Should I exchange Fog Cloud for something like Good Berry or Cure Wounds? I'm keeping the cantrips the way they are even though I could really UAE a range option.

4: Any other suggestions or comments?

Thanks in advance :)

1. No, there is nothing exploitative or even overly complicated about the build - it should be fine.
2. Hell no. You are using a staff which can be used 1-handed with a shield and do 1D6 damage, 1D6+2 with Dueling which results in a 5.5 damage average which is higher than the 5.25 average of a two-handed staff with GWF. With Shillelagh in play, the 5.5 average damage of 1-hand staff grows to 6.5 which further increases the advantage of going 1-handed. Considering 1-handed does more damage and you can benefit from a shield, there is no reason at all to take GWF.
3. I'd recommend Good Berry - that spell is quite amazing and possibly the greatest of all level 1 spells. The tiny bit of healing can be nice as 1 HP is enough to wake someone in a coma up, potentially saving their life but imo the better function is the ability to always have food when you need it.
4. Drop Rogue. It isn't doing enough to warrant delaying your Fighter abilities by two levels.

Felvion
2014-12-05, 08:31 AM
Regarding the level progression, fighter and rogue synergise really nice but it may take some time to make it work.
I mean if you start as a fighter (which seems to be the case for you), it's hard to stop his progression before lvl 5 as the extra attack should be gotten asap. After that i'd recommend taking 3 levels of rogue instead of 2. You get one extra sa die but the most important is the rogue path. Any of the 3 gives great advantages tha don't need more rogue levels to work. Assasinate is too broken. IMHO any martial character should be temted to dip rogue just for this feature.
Level 8 is a checkpoint of such a build. You have pretty decent capabilities for both sustained and surprise damage.
You also have lots of skills for out-of-combat time.
After lvl 8 you can do whatever you like! Either class will give you an ability score increase or feat so you can cover any need you may have.

Person_Man
2014-12-05, 08:43 AM
I'm a bit confused. If you want to be Wis based nature guy, why use Fighter? Why not be a Druid or Monk or Ranger? Or if being a Fighter or Rogue is what you care about, why be Wis based? It seems like a huge waste to spend a Feat on Magic Initiate.

Regarding multiclassing, if you're relying on weapons for your at-will attacks its very important to pick up Extra Attack at level 5 (or just have 3d6ish Sneak Attack), otherwise your damage output will probably fall way behind your allies. (As opposed to Cantrips that scale with your character level. And even then, its preferable to have a class ability that adds to your Cantrip damage; Warlock 2, Sorcerer 6, etc).

Felvion
2014-12-05, 11:36 AM
I'm a bit confused. If you want to be Wis based nature guy, why use Fighter? Why not be a Druid or Monk or Ranger? Or if being a Fighter or Rogue is what you care about, why be Wis based? It seems like a huge waste to spend a Feat on Magic Initiate.

Regarding multiclassing, if you're relying on weapons for your at-will attacks its very important to pick up Extra Attack at level 5 (or just have 3d6ish Sneak Attack), otherwise your damage output will probably fall way behind your allies. (As opposed to Cantrips that scale with your character level. And even then, its preferable to have a class ability that adds to your Cantrip damage; Warlock 2, Sorcerer 6, etc).

If i'm guessing right he's planning to rely on Shillelagh which lets you add your casting attribute (wis for druid) to both your attack roll and damage. The fact that it also counts as magical for damage reduction purposes and it's just a bonus action to cast makes it a highly "optimal" choise. I mean who else does have magic weapons from level 1? Definately worth the feat.
As for the feat, i'd recommend swapping thorn whip for druidcraft. Lots of utility since it covers weather report, minor nature fluffed illusions and endless posing. Making flowers blossom on your touch is heartbreaking for the ladies.:smallwink:

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-05, 12:05 PM
Snip.

Depending if there is a ranger and finding food is part if his schick then I may take good berry.

I won't ever use the shield unless something bad goes down, dueling style would be useful in both situations. However, one MC path I'm now considering is Monk and I'll pretty much be duel wielding.

Rogue fits way too well and gives me a lot of mobility. I may choose another class but Rogue would fit quite well.

Regarding the level progression, fighter and rogue synergise really nice but it may take some time to make it work.
I mean if you start as a fighter (which seems to be the case for you), it's hard to stop his progression before lvl 5 as the extra attack should be gotten asap. After that i'd recommend taking 3 levels of rogue instead of 2. You get one extra sa die but the most important is the rogue path. Any of the 3 gives great advantages tha don't need more rogue levels to work. Assasinate is too broken. IMHO any martial character should be temted to dip rogue just for this feature.
Level 8 is a checkpoint of such a build. You have pretty decent capabilities for both sustained and surprise damage.
You also have lots of skills for out-of-combat time.
After lvl 8 you can do whatever you like! Either class will give you an ability score increase or feat so you can cover any need you may have.

The biggest issue with my rogue levels is they don't work with my primary weapon. It will help with ranged but it just doesn't fit with a quarterstaff sadly.

There should totally be a rogue arcane trickater specific illusion or enchantment spell that you use to trick yourself into thinking any weapon you are holding is a finesse weapon... Would make a really cool cantrip or spell lol.

If i'm guessing right he's planning to rely on Shillelagh which lets you add your casting attribute (wis for druid) to both your attack roll and damage. The fact that it also counts as magical for damage reduction purposes and it's just a bonus action to cast makes it a highly "optimal" choise. I mean who else does have magic weapons from level 1? Definately worth the feat.
As for the feat, i'd recommend swapping thorn whip for druidcraft. Lots of utility since it covers weather report, minor nature fluffed illusions and endless posing. Making flowers blossom on your touch is heartbreaking for the ladies.:smallwink:

Pretty much this.

I like the chassis for the fighter better than other options (saving throws Strength and Con are nice).

I would multiclass druid (land) in a heartbeat for the added spellcasting but druids won't wear metal armor or shields, though I see no penalty for doing such...

Although for a starting class I prefer Fighter over Monk (saving throws and skills) but if I go monk I can multiclass Land Druid nicely.

I think I'll switch to monk, keep the feat, and multiclass druid for *most spells*. I really don't care for wildshaoe other than a utility ability.

Vogonjeltz
2014-12-05, 05:28 PM
Basic Idea: Lived in the woods but stole from a nearby city. Sympathize with goblins and other creatures that had to fight for survival. Very in tune with nature. Very anti-establishment but understands the use of governments and such.

Given this backstory, I advise changing the name for verisimilitude. An urchin raised nearly alone in the wild likely wouldn't have a proper noun name and it probably would be mono-syllabic (though exceptions do exist). Consider nature oriented nicknames such as: Sprout, Acorn, Windleaf, Dogwood, Willow, Ash, Rift, Weasel, Ferret, Thorn, Briar, etc...

Although, I do like that he's named after the home of the Zanzibarbarians.

I also shared some concern over the lack of synergy between Fighter, Rogue, and placing your best score in Wisdom. I'd agree, go Druid or Nature Cleric, Oath of the Ancients Paladin, or Ranger.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-05, 08:24 PM
I also shared some concern over the lack of synergy between Fighter, Rogue, and placing your best score in Wisdom. I'd agree, go Druid or Nature Cleric, Oath of the Ancients Paladin, or Ranger.

Look at shillelagh, wisdom becomes attack and damage score for a d8 weapon. Not that bad.

Rogue and Fighter work great with each other when dipping. Cunning Action on a fighter? Heavy armor strength based whip/rapier rogue?

They work great together when used right.

Besides later levels of the fighter are really only worth ASI/Feats.

Edit

Also, how damn terrible is Ranger 1? That might be the most horrible first level out there.

Giant2005
2014-12-06, 12:28 AM
Also, how damn terrible is Ranger 1? That might be the most horrible first level out there.
Batman took Ranger 1! (Favoured Terrain: Gotham).
My general rule in life is that if it is good enough for Batman, it is good enough for me.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-06, 01:26 AM
Batman took Ranger 1! (Favoured Terrain: Gotham).
My general rule in life is that if it is good enough for Batman, it is good enough for me.

Yeah and Batman is one of the most pathetic attempts at a hero there is. He is essentially Lex Luthor but on a higher moral ground (questionable, batman's crazy accidently puts him on the good side) and with a hell of a lot more DM fiat on his side.

Whoever made the final call on Ranger 1 needs their head examine. Actually, Ranger 20 is another head scratcher.

CrusaderJoe
2014-12-08, 08:29 AM
V. Human Monk w/ Thorn Whip and Shillelagh is fricken fantastic.

Having a +2 Dex didn't hurt at all and moving creatures into a line (with thorn whip) so that the dragonborn could breath weapon them... Was fantastic! But seriously, having a +2 at low levels in your attack stat (I used Dex sometimes just to hide my big guba till later) isn't that noticeable.

Went through a level 3 session and took 5 damage thought the entire session due to tactics and monks being awesome.

That and the DM kept rolling 2s against me....

So now I can rebuild my Monk as I'm level 3 now and that's something you can do with adventure league stuff.

Current build...

Same stats

V. Human (Healer Feat)
Monk 1/Druid 2

I'm thinking of going land druid only so I don't feel stupid over powered... Lion + Monk is just fun stuff but might be a bit much. I like the casting side of druid too so I don't mind going land druid at all.

I'll keep thorn whip and shillelagh obviously but I think I'll pick up produce flame so I'll have a good (accurate) at will ranged option. If I ever get a 4th spell I'll totally go druid craft.

So why the healer feat? Well 1d6 + 4 + Target's Level (max HD but that will usually be level...) 1/short or long rest will be an insanely helpful tool to keep the cleric from burning through spell slots. He didn't get to use any boom spells (guiding bolt?) due to him healing everyone. That, and I like being a helper :)... Also I won't feel too guilty for going Monk/Druid :p