PDA

View Full Version : Playable evil outsiders

PraxisVetli
2014-12-04, 11:58 PM
So, my group has been sent back in time.
Way back..
Like Obyriths back.
And a new player wants to join, but I'm not sure what races would be available.
I'm thinking back before humans and elves have formed, but obviously I'm trying to avoid LA+TOO MANY.
Suggestions?

A_S
2014-12-05, 12:04 AM
Dretch are 2 RHD, +2 LA. They suck, but, you know...they exist.

Fiend Folio has a few LA+1 fiend races.

You can always refluff something like Tiefling, Neraph, or Diabolus (from Dragon Compendium).

PraxisVetli
2014-12-05, 12:34 AM
Dretch are 2 RHD, +2 LA. They suck, but, you know...they exist.

Fiend Folio has a few LA+1 fiend races.

You can always refluff something like Tiefling, Neraph, or Diabolus (from Dragon Compendium).

Diabolus definitely got their attention.
I'm not seeing these Fiend Folio ones..

And yeah, dretch blow.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-05, 12:37 AM
+1 for Diabolus. I've always thought they were cool.

EDIT: is their any reason the new play can't also be someone who has been stranded in time?

Marlowe
2014-12-05, 12:38 AM
The fiend folio ones are Maeluth and Wispling. Maeluth are essentially Dwarf-Tieflings, Wisplings are Halfling-Tieflings. They are both fairly underwhelming. They are all listed together (with the Shyft and Mechanatrix) under the heading "Planetouched".

Zanos
2014-12-05, 12:39 AM
If you're open to homebrew and the power level of the party is above "fighter is a solid class", you might enjoy Oslecamo's Monster Classes. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=270.0)

PraxisVetli
2014-12-05, 12:46 AM
The fiend folio ones are Maeluth and Wispling. Maeluth are essentially Dwarf-Tieflings, Wisplings are Halfling-Tieflings. They are both fairly underwhelming. They are all listed together (with the Shyft and Mechanatrix) under the heading "Planetouched".
Ah, gotcha.

+1 for Diabolus. I've always thought they were cool.

EDIT: is their any reason the new play can't also be someone who has been stranded in time?
eh..
It would be hard to work into the story.

If you're open to homebrew and the power level of the party is above "fighter is a solid class", you might enjoy Oslecamo's Monster Classes. (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=270.0)

I prefer not to homebrew whenever possible.

The current favorite is Diabolus.

A_S
2014-12-05, 01:10 AM
I'm not seeing these Fiend Folio ones..
Yeah, I was thinking of Maeluth and Wispling, but they're Planetouched, not really fiends.

Marlowe
2014-12-05, 01:44 AM
Well it's going to be quite hard to find an actual FIEND that's got low LA and isn't a useless bag of snot. :smallbiggrin:

Do you have to be evil? It's been said, and I'm inclined to agree, that two of the best +1 LA Outsider races are the Chaond and Zenythri from MMII. They don't get a lot of play--I think because of the artwork.

...the perfect representative picture for them is a Chaond husband and his heavily pregnant Zenythri wife.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110724214251/sfery/images/f/fd/Planetouched3.JPG
MMII is silent on the race of the offspring.

hamishspence
2014-12-05, 02:20 AM
Diaboli aren't evil but CG with CN tendencies. Still - they're low-LA Outsiders.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-05, 03:03 AM
Diaboli aren't evil but CG with CN tendencies. Still - they're low-LA Outsiders.

Well.
I missed that.

hamishspence
2014-12-05, 03:19 AM
That said, they fear and distrust humanoids in the same way humanoids fear and distrust fiends.

ahenobarbi
2014-12-05, 03:22 AM
The PC could be another time traveler. Just sayin'.

Marlowe
2014-12-05, 03:49 AM
That said, they fear and distrust humanoids in the same way humanoids fear and distrust fiends.

And humanoids fear and distrust them in the same way that everyone fears and distrusts Dragon Compendium material.:smallbiggrin:

frogglesmash
2014-12-05, 05:22 AM
The Hellbred in Fiendish Codex II are LA +0 and are fairly demonic. They may want to change them from humanoid to outsider and you'll probably want to change the fluff a bit but all in all they seem like a solid choice.

atemu1234
2014-12-05, 07:57 AM
Are we talking core rules only? Because Savage Species can apply a subtype to a creature for a price.

Inevitability
2014-12-05, 11:18 AM
The PC could be another time traveler. Just sayin'.

Take a look at my signature. :smalltongue:

Deadasadoor
2014-12-05, 11:37 AM
If they haven't been mentioned, Kaorti from Fiend Folio. 2HD, 2 LA I believe. I'm afb right now so I don't remember the full details of their lore, but they're in fiend folio as well. They make good rogues and I think they can also craft things out of resin to make weapons with x4 crit. They also have the downside of being in agony on the Material Plane if I'm remebering right, but that can be fixed if they use armor made from the resin. Web enhancement for the equipment found at http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a

ShurikVch
2014-12-05, 12:04 PM
How many of LA is TOO MANY?
Also, what's about the racial HD?

Anyway...
2 HD and LA +2: Abyssal Maw, Abyssal Skulker (MM2), Windrazor (MM4)
1 HD and LA +3 (cohort): Vapor Imp (Bestiary Of Krynn, Revised)

Spore
2014-12-05, 12:30 PM
I'd always throw some kind of half-fiend template (along with fiendish template to become an outsider). But honestly I find it much more convincing if you homebrew a demon to become a smaller embodiment of a mortal sin, if your daemon embodies immortal hunger or your devil is the party diplomancer :D

Give yourself SLAs and HD accordingly and then show it to your DM. Not everything has to come from printing or online media.

PraxisVetli
2014-12-05, 12:47 PM
Take a look at my signature. :smalltongue:
Truth of our world, right there.

How many of LA is TOO MANY?
Also, what's about the racial HD?

Anyway...
2 HD and LA +2: Abyssal Maw, Abyssal Skulker (MM2), Windrazor (MM4)
1 HD and LA +3 (cohort): Vapor Imp (Bestiary Of Krynn, Revised)
I think TOO MANY is run off what build he wants to do, which runs off what it is. So, as long as its cool enough to justify, it'll work.
I'll show him the Maw and Skulker.
Dunno if I have the other book.

The Hellbred in Fiendish Codex II are LA +0 and are fairly demonic. They may want to change them from humanoid to outsider and you'll probably want to change the fluff a bit but all in all they seem like a solid choice.

Ah Hellbred. Icing on my Bardsader cake a while back.
Totally forgot about them.
Not sure if it works, but I'll bring it up!