PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Help me come up with interesting, flavorful class features as rewards for my party

Kafana
2014-12-05, 06:37 AM
The party are all level 7:

Half-Orc favored soul playing like a barbarian.
Catfolk warlock with a kind heart but an incredibly dire demonic heritage (not discovered yet).
Human fighter archer with Order of the Bow Initiate level and illumian ancestors.
Wild elf druid.

I want to give them something that they can use X times per day based on either their level or a particular knowledge they max (e.g. you can use the ability X times per day, where X is equal knowledge arcana ranks divided by 4).

Things I've thought about so far:
Favored Soul - Wrath of Ji-Karrat (homebrew orc god) - you are imbuded with the wrath of your god for a number of rounds equal to your favored soul level. You gain +4 STR, DEX and CON and +10 movement speed. You can activate this as a free action, and dismiss it at any time as a free action. Basically, a level 7 favored soul could activate it for example three times, the first time it lasts for 2 rounds, the second for 3 and the third for 2 again.

Warlock - Eldritch Whip - for a number of rounds equal to your knowledge arcana rank divided by 2 (round down) you can conjure an eldritch whip that has 15ft reach, counts as a melee touch attack and deals Eldritch Blast + 2d6 damage.

Druid - no idea here really. Obviously need something either summon or wild shape oriented.

Fighter - since the fighter is the weakest of the bunch I thought I'd give her focus points and special abilities from the Archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229330-3-5-Base-Class-The-Archer-Badass-Normal-Meets-The-Bow) homebrew I saw on the forums. Either that or to keep it simple the Ranged Power Attack.

Anyway the main idea here is to give players more choices and to make their characters more fun. I don't want to give them something that's worth more than 1 feat, but I don't want to give them something that is either useless or is passive.

Kafana
2014-12-08, 04:13 AM
To Bump...

Trasilor
2014-12-08, 08:15 AM
The party are all level 7:

Half-Orc favored soul playing like a barbarian.
Catfolk warlock with a kind heart but an incredibly dire demonic heritage (not discovered yet).
Human fighter archer with Order of the Bow Initiate level and illumian ancestors.
Wild elf druid.

I want to give them something that they can use X times per day based on either their level or a particular knowledge they max (e.g. you can use the ability X times per day, where X is equal knowledge arcana ranks divided by 4).

Things I've thought about so far:
Favored Soul - Wrath of Ji-Karrat (homebrew orc god) - you are imbuded with the wrath of your god for a number of rounds equal to your favored soul level. You gain +4 STR, DEX and CON and +10 movement speed. You can activate this as a free action, and dismiss it at any time as a free action. Basically, a level 7 favored soul could activate it for example three times, the first time it lasts for 2 rounds, the second for 3 and the third for 2 again.

Warlock - Eldritch Whip - for a number of rounds equal to your knowledge arcana rank divided by 2 (round down) you can conjure an eldritch whip that has 15ft reach, counts as a melee touch attack and deals Eldritch Blast + 2d6 damage.

Druid - no idea here really. Obviously need something either summon or wild shape oriented.

Fighter - since the fighter is the weakest of the bunch I thought I'd give her focus points and special abilities from the Archer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229330-3-5-Base-Class-The-Archer-Badass-Normal-Meets-The-Bow) homebrew I saw on the forums. Either that or to keep it simple the Ranged Power Attack.

Anyway the main idea here is to give players more choices and to make their characters more fun. I don't want to give them something that's worth more than 1 feat, but I don't want to give them something that is either useless or is passive.

Have you tried asking them how they want their character to progress? What feats they plan on taking, how they plan on playing the character in the future, etc.

For the Favored Soul (barbarian) - you are giving them an ability that rivals barbarian rage. Also, would this stack with rage? You should clearly define the type of bonus (divine, insight, rage, enhancement, untyped) for stacking purposes. If you want to key this off a skill, suggest Intimidation, Knowledge (religion) or Concentration.

Warlock - interesting idea. Note a whip is a very versatile weapon.

Druid - I would go utility here - Druid is very powerful as is. Perhaps short range teleportation X times (knowledge (Nature)/2) from one plant to another - like tree stride. Immediate action, limit to Wis Modifier x5 feet.

Fighter - ranged power attack should just exist as a fighter only feat or simply a class feature (they need a couple). Also, allow bow & arrow bonuses to stack.

An archer ability could be - create any non-magical arrow for any bow you wield. Create up to level x2 (x4 at 12 level) in magical arrows per day (+1 at 6, +2 at 9, +3 at 12, +4 at 15, +5 at 18). All arrows created dissipate after 10 minutes.

This way the archer no longer ever focuses on their arrow consumption, rather they focus on procuring an amazing bow.

atemu1234
2014-12-08, 08:31 AM
I second the ask them thing. They'll probably know better what they want than people on the internet who've never met them and probably never will.

Kafana
2014-12-10, 06:32 AM
Druid - I would go utility here - Druid is very powerful as is. Perhaps short range teleportation X times (knowledge (Nature)/2) from one plant to another - like tree stride. Immediate action, limit to Wis Modifier x5 feet.

Isn't this a bit too powerful? Perhaps have it be a swift action instead? The way I see it, with a decent modifier (say 4 or above) the druid could pretty much avoid all AoE and line effects if he's in the wilderness, as well as avoid a lot of attacks with the use of cover from surrounding trees. That, coupled with the default power a druid has could really unbalance him. Sure, if it's three times per day it isn't much, but if a day consists of a few stronger battles he could essentially be invulnerable for three rounds if he plays it right.

An archer ability could be - create any non-magical arrow for any bow you wield. Create up to level x2 (x4 at 12 level) in magical arrows per day (+1 at 6, +2 at 9, +3 at 12, +4 at 15, +5 at 18). All arrows created dissipate after 10 minutes.

I really like this, and it's quite fitting since the archer is half illumian (though she doesn't know it yet). She will be trained by illumians for several months who specialize in archery, so it all ties in nicely.