PDA

View Full Version : Trans-Atlantic Savage Tides IC

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-05, 11:45 AM
The Savage Tides Campaign, Adventure #1 - There is No Honor

Over the course of the day yesterday all of the PCs are met by a wizened old halfling woman who introduces herself as "Kora" and works for a well-known noble family, the Vanderborens. After greeting them all respectfully she hands each a letter:

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net/assets/263471/CH1HO1.png?1384703907
If asked for more details she explains that her mistress, Miss Lavinia Vanderboren, does not disclose details of her business to her maidservants, and that she really must go. The old woman leaves, bowing her head as she does and disappearing into the masses of the city of Sasserine.

You know the Vanderborens are a wealthy noble family heavily involved in sea-going trade.
Lavinia is the eldest child of the family. She has a younger brother and no sisters.

A tragic ship fire a month ago claimed the lives of Verik and Larissa Vanderboren. They were survived by their two children, Lavinia and Vanthus.
The Vanderboren manor is located in the eastern section of the Merchant District. As the PCs arrive they see a seven-foot high stone wall surrounding the estate with a towering, gothic, three-story house dominating the grounds inside. Leering gargoyles and capering nypmhs festoon the eaves of the manor's roof, and several trees give the manor grounds a nice buffer from the bustle of the city. The front gates are open, though no one greets the PCs till they reach the front door and knock. Kora answers the door, thanking them for coming and leading them to the atrium. "Lady Vanderboren will be with you shortly. Please wait here." The room is growing dark as night falls, though several sets of candles provide enough light to see the many flowers and decorative plants in it.

Please post something about your arrival and feel free to interact with the other PCs. When everyone has posted I will move forward with events.

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 01:05 PM
[roll]1d20+11[/roll local
[roll0] nobility

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 01:06 PM
[roll0] and stuff. Technically, I should have added 1d6 to that roll. Inspiration on a knowledge skill with a rank, and all that.

Firi'sar approaches the house early in the evening. I wonder what this is all about... Nice place, though. VERY nice place. Hmmm... Well, she's the new lady of the estate, and there's only one way to find out what she wants. Still, this could be awfully lucrative. Smiling, he boldly strides to the door and knocks, greeting Kora politely. After being left in the waiting room, he very slowly scans the room, noting in particular the available exits and potential obstructions. He shrugs, fairly pleased with his findings, and settles comfortably into a chair to away the leisure of his hostess.

JWallyR
2014-12-05, 04:12 PM
Garrett shakes his head as he watches the elf stride through the gates. No telling what this lady wants, but if Fix is in the mix, it can't be good. Still, he'll need someone to pull his fat out of the fire. Casting a furtive glance around the street, the lean man stands from his crouching position in the shade of an opposing building and walks briskly up the walk.

Upon being shown to the waiting room, Garrett makes no response to Firi'Sar's presence until the maidservant leaves.

You get a letter, too? he whispers at the elf. What kind of mischief are we up in here?

MuffinMan
2014-12-05, 04:41 PM
[roll0]
Simon's ragged dockside garb, scarred arms, and faint odor of fish clash dramatically with the delicate architecture and fine surroundings as he saunters into the manor's atrium. Bloody rich folks... He stops suddenly at the sight of Firi'sar and Garrett sitting there before him. He loses interest in the funny-haired elf almost immediately, but he gives Garrett a long, appraising look before he finishes crossing the room and leaning against the far wall. "Nobody said anything about this being a group job..." he mutters. "Hey pretty boy!" he calls, looking up at Firi'sar. "Don't think I've seen you around before. You got a name?"

JWallyR
2014-12-05, 04:44 PM
Garrett eyes the scarred man with apparent disinterest, saying nothing.

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 04:44 PM
You get a letter, too? he whispers at the elf. What kind of mischief are we up in here?

Firi'sar grins at the man from his seat. Well, we'll find out for sure in a few minutes. Knowing the family, there's bound to be money involved, and lots of it!

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 04:53 PM
"Hey pretty boy!" he calls, looking up at Firi'sar. "Don't think I've seen you around before. You got a name?"

Firi'sar makes a show of looking about the room. What, you mean me? Well, that's not something I've been called often, before. He stands, places a hand on the pommel of his rapier and bows flamboyantly. My name, good sir, is Firi'sar Throshana. I am, above all else, an entrepreneur, and as you may or may not be aware, group jobs, without fail, pay better. He grins widely, bowing slightly at the young man, before retaking his seat. I am quite sure your skills will come in handy later, but for now I find myself at the disadvantage. You know my name, but I know not yours.

Untarr
2014-12-05, 05:17 PM
Lily takes a breath before hurriedly knocking on the door. One hand on her greatsword, she grips it tighter as the door opens and she sees Kora.

"Lead the way..." she says, with a shake in her voice. Her head swivels every direction as she is lead to the atrium. She freezes at the sight of the three men. Squinting slightly, she stops at Simon before her eyes grow wide with fear.

"SIMON! I knew it was a setup! They were trying to find me and used you to pull me out of hiding!" looking around the room she pauses at Firi'sar. "YOU! I REMEMBER YOU TOO!"

She backs up and pulls out her greatsword (which is about has long as she is). "It all makes sense now. It was a setup from the beginning. You!" Pointing at Firi'sar. "You did this to me! I don't know what you did, but I know you did it! Everything was fine until that night..." tears begin to appear in her eyes.

Backing up slowly, Lily's foot catches something on the floor. WOAWOAWOA!! she yells as she falls backwards and hits the ground.

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 05:28 PM
Firi'sar rises slowly from his seat. Well, she certainly knows how to make an entrance, doesn't she? He heads towards the girl, and retrieves the huge blade from where it fell. With visible effort, he attempts to lift it for a few moments before leaving it there. Gods alive, woman. How do you lift this thing? Hell, I'll let you pick that thing up. Here. He extends a hand to help her from the ground.

I don't know that I could possibly have caused all your troubles, but I will gladly apologize for those I have. Speaking of that night, how is your friend? I know he was alive, last I saw, but that's hardly something to be proud of...

Untarr
2014-12-05, 05:36 PM
Eyes squinted, Lily stares up at Firi'sar. After a few moments of thought she shakes her head and grabs his hand.

"Umm...heh...uhh sorry." she rubs the back of her head.

"Let's just say its been a rough couple of days."

Grabbing the sword from Firi'sar. I guess you aren't trying to kill me if you're giving this back to me. Swinging it to her back, sheathes the sword.

Pardon me. I am Lily Kraan. Most people call me "Runt." she says with a curtsy.

JWallyR
2014-12-05, 05:55 PM
Raising an eyebow, Garrett watches the tiny woman's confusion with quiet alertness, allowing the ghost of a smile to play at the edges of his mouth as she tumbles to the rear.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-05, 08:11 PM
[roll0]

"A little jumpy to be trusting yourself to a group job tonight, aren't we?" Edgar's voice drifts from the rooms entrance. As he and Horace amble in, the various small spears in his quiver rattle gently. "Edgar and Horace Waveseeker. A pleasure to meet you Runt, Firi'sar," He gives a small bow and looks to the others in the room. A small smile touches his eyes as he sees Garrett there. "Garrett! Nice to see you again. Heel Horace; We're meeting a client." The wolf stop sniffing the ranger's legs and quickly pads back to Edgar's side, sitting with a stoic look on his face. "And umm....Simon, right? Lord Fists McGoon himself, and saver of of my bacon." He walks over and gives the big man a firm handshake before taking a seat and resting a hand on Horace's neck. "I'm glad we're on the same job for this one,"a grin splits his clean-shaven face. "Anyone know what exactly the job is about yet?"

MuffinMan
2014-12-05, 08:56 PM
Simon's reply to Firi'Sar is interrupted by Lily's entrace. "I'm- oh, it's you?? Hey, kid -"

"SIMON! I knew it was a setup! They were trying to find me and used you to pull me out of hiding!"
Backing up slowly, Lily's foot catches something on the floor. WOAWOAWOA!! she yells as she falls backwards and hits the ground.

Simon arches an eyebrow in puzzlement, but doesn't otherwise react or move from his relaxed position against the wall. He chuckles at Lily's stumble, allows Firi'Sar to help her up, and then addresses himself to the pair of them again. "Relax, you're jumpier than a fish in a bucket. The only setup around here is this." he waves the parchment bearing the letter they all received. "Now to answer your question, elf, I'm - "

"A little jumpy to be trusting yourself to a group job tonight, aren't we?" Edgar's voice drifts from the rooms entrance. As he and Horace amble in, the various small spears in his quiver rattle gently.
He walks over and gives the big man a firm handshake before taking a seat and resting a hand on Horace's neck. "I'm glad we're on the same job for this one,"a grin splits his clean-shaven face. "Anyone know what exactly the job is about yet?"

So the quiet one's name is 'Garrett'... Simon notes. Better keep an eye on that one. He nods at Edgar as he shakes his hand, giving a wary glance at the large wolf at his side. "Edgar. A pleasure, as always. Who's your friend? No, nobody's said anything about the job yet, although with this lot..." Simon turns his head, scanning the motley array assembled in the atrium, "I'm guessing circus attraction. Can he do tricks?" pointing at Horace.

Farmerbink
2014-12-05, 09:20 PM
Simon arches an eyebrow in puzzlement, but doesn't otherwise react or move from his relaxed position against the wall. He chuckles at Lily's stumble, allows Firi'Sar to help her up, and then addresses himself to the pair of them again. "Relax, you're jumpier than a fish in a bucket. The only setup around here is this." he waves the parchment bearing the letter they all received. "Now to answer your question, elf, I'm - "

Firi'sar sighs as entrance after entrance interrupt the man's introduction. After the proverbial dust settles, he supplies "Simon. Yes, so I gather.. Looking around the motley crew, he addresses them. Odd, this appears to be rather the elaborate get up our hostess has set for us. And... rather the interesting crew, to say the least. After a few moments apprising the group, and some slow nods of his head, he returns to his seat, puts up his legs, and pulls a small ivory pipe from a pocket in his vest. He stuffs it, lights it, and begins to puff contentedly. Ahhh... this will be a good night, I can feel it!

Untarr
2014-12-06, 01:45 AM
I'm guessing circus attraction. Can he do tricks?" pointing at Horace.

Oh yes! Can he? He's cute. Lily says with a sudden genuine smile. She squats down in front of Horace. Pausing with her hand outstretched, she looks over at Edgar.

May I?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-06, 05:44 AM
As the PCs are greeting each other four figures emerge from the hall and begin walking towards them. Kora races behind these figures, rushing to get to the front door first.

The figures include a jaunty male half-elf dressed in lether armor and armed with a half-dozen daggers of different shapes, a dark-skinned dwarf with a sour expression dressed in green and brown robes and clutching a curved spear, an attractive but haughty-looking woman dressed in dark purple robes with a tattoo of a crescent moon on one cheek, and lastly a tall and handsome man dressed in polished breastplate carrying a bastard sword.

These are the Jade Ravens, a mercenary company that has been in the Vanderboren family's employ for several years. The leader is the man in the breastplate, an outdoorsman named Tolin Kientai. The others include Zan Oldavin, the half-elf, Kaskus Kiel, the dwarf, and Liamae Teslikaria, the woman.
The man with the bastard sword walks up, eyeing the PCs pleasantly before saying, "Hmmm. You must be the help Lavinia's bringing in to do the chores. Best of luck to ya!" before leading his companions towards the front door.

If you would like to interact with these NPCs you may, though at this time they do not have any significant role to play. You will interact with them more in a future adventure - anything you do/say now will have minimal effect on the immediate adventure since they have a different assignment.
Please un-spoiler the following and post it as a quote at the top of your next post:

Moments after the quartet leaves the manor an attractive young woman opens the door to the private dining hall, greets the PCs, and ushers them into the room for dinner.

https://aquerra.wikispaces.com/file/view/laviniavanderboren.gif/31284177/laviniavanderboren.gif
The dining hall is a comfortable and cozy room, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine young man with a short beard. Wearing a long, flowing blue dress, Lavinia Vanderboren smiles as the PCs enter and introduces herself.

"As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need access to my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

And that's the problem, you see. The vault is magically locked - keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. Instead he kept it hidden on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault."

Untarr
2014-12-06, 07:30 AM
Standing up from Horace, Lily's smile turns to a pout as the group leaves. "Chores?I hate chores! Ohhhh I hope not..." she says with a worried look.

Moments after the quartet leaves the manor an attractive young woman opens the door to the private dining hall, greets the PCs, and ushers them into the room for dinner.

https://aquerra.wikispaces.com/file/view/laviniavanderboren.gif/31284177/laviniavanderboren.gif
The dining hall is a comfortable and cozy room, softly lit by wall-mounted lanterns. A window overlooks the manor's central courtyard and the carpet is thick and soft. A large portrait hangs on the wall, a fine young man with a short beard. Wearing a long, flowing blue dress, Lavinia Vanderboren smiles as the PCs enter and introduces herself.

"As you may have heard, I recently inherited my parent's estate. Along with this fine house, unfortunately, came a fine amount of debt owed the Dawn Council, the harbormaster, and quite a few guildhalls. It seems my parents, for all their success as adventurers, were not as skilled at finance as one might expect. If I'm to get these taxes paid, I'll need access to my family's vault under Castle Teraknian.

And that's the problem, you see. The vault is magically locked - keyed to special signet rings. Both of my parents had these rings, at least, until recently. My mother lost hers a few months ago. She arranged for a replacement, but it won't be done for another month or so, too late for me. Which leaves my father's ring. He never wore it - he had a thing about men wearing jewelry. Instead he kept it hidden on his ship, the Blue Nixie. The problem there is that the harbormaster's seized the ship until someone pays for the last four months of mooring. I've paid the fines to the man the harbormaster's put in charge of my ship, a brute named Soller Vark. Yet when I went to claim my ship, Vark's men wouldn't let me board, claiming that I hadn't yet paid the fines. I spoke to Vark again and he denied ever receiving my payment. My complaints to the harbormaster have fallen on deaf ears - he's a doddering old fool who trusts his man and won't relent.

Vark and his men are up to something on my ship, I know it. What I need is to find out exactly what they're up to. Unfortunately, Vark's not the type to react well to diplomacy or logic. I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault."

Bowing to Lavinia, Lily listens intently. Her eyebrows furl in and her jaw sets as Vivian shares her story. At the end of it Lily immediately moves towards her and grabs her hand.

[roll0] Diplomacy (to make her like us more and get more information than she's telling)
[roll1] Sense Motive

"I. Am. So. Sorry." she says with a reassuring squeeze. "This Soller Vark guy sounds horrible mean awful nasty. And coming after the loss of your parents! How horrible! We'll get your boat back for you, don't you worry!" Spinning around, her long braid nearly misses Lavinia. "Right!?" she says with a hopeful look towards the rest of the gathered people. Turning once more, she addresses Lavinia

"I wonder if Vark has connections to any criminal activity? He sure sounds like one! Has the ship every actually left the harbor? Have you or any of your people seen anyone else coming or going? What would happen if we just...you know" Lily makes a throat cutting motion with her thumb while doing a poor imitation of a cutting noise "Vark and his men?"

Farmerbink
2014-12-06, 08:27 AM
[roll0] + [roll1] for knowledge (local)

Firi'sar's brows furrow in through as the quartet passes through the atrium. As the door shuts behind them, he lets out a low whistle. If you all are unaware, that was a small local mercenary group named "The Jade Ravens." They have been employed by the Vanderboren family for some time; I had wondered if there was a falling out, necessitating this little menagerie, but perhaps this is a more serious situation than I had first surmised... His mouth falls into a smirk as he adds: this just keeps getting more interesting...

Farmerbink
2014-12-06, 08:41 AM
I need someone who speaks his language...which is where you come in. If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault."

Firi'sar nods along with the young woman's explanation, listening eagerly.

"I wonder if Vark has connections to any criminal activity? He sure sounds like one! Has the ship every actually left the harbor? Have you or any of your people seen anyone else coming or going? What would happen if we just...you know" Lily makes a throat cutting motion with her thumb while doing a poor imitation of a cutting noise "Vark and his men?"

Firi'sar smiles pleasantly as Lily veritably explodes into animation. He places a reassuring hand an her shoulder and addresses both Lily and Lavinia. I mean no offense, Miss Vanderboren, and I hope you will forgive me, but why can we trust you any more than this Vark character? Please don't misunderstand, I know quite well exactly how... savory the harbormaster and his men can be, but to be blunt, you don't live as long as I have by taking everyone at their word when they offer you a job.

I am inclined to believe you, but would appreciate something more concrete on which to base our decision.

this'll be SOOOO much better next level....
[roll0] sense motive
[roll1] diplomacy (to show sincerity and hopefully not worsen her attitude)

12StoryCondo
2014-12-06, 11:37 AM
May I?
Edgar and Horace share a brief glance as a mixture of nervous apprehension and desire for scritches flows between the two. "Perhaps w-"(mercenary entrance)

Standing up from Horace, Lily's smile turns to a pout as the group leaves.
Horace's ears fall just a bit at the loss. His tongue lolls out of his mouth as Edgar quickly rubs his head, pleased that he continues to be well-behaved.

"No need to go that far yet. I think if we appeal to the harbormaster and have him pull rank on Vark, that will be our best bet to not immediately put a target on our backs. We can always beat the tar out of him as plan B. ...C." To Lady Vanderboren, "I suppose it's outlandish to think there's a receipt for your payment to Vark that we can use as leverage?"

Farmerbink
2014-12-06, 12:04 PM
"I suppose it's outlandish to think there's a receipt for your payment to Vark that we can use as leverage?"

Firi'sar nods emphatically at the suggestion, before deflating at his pitiful attempt at diplomacy. Yes, yes! That is exactly what I meant to ask. Does such a document exist?

MuffinMan
2014-12-06, 12:25 PM
Simon tenses almost imperceptibly as the mercenary party crosses the atrium: a foot braced more firmly against a wall, a hand disappearing beneath his vest. He meets the dwarf's stare levelly until the other company has exited, whereupon he resumes slouching in earnest.

Simon saunters into the dining room and turns a chair around to sit reversed, leaning forward onto the backrest. He grabs a hunk of bread from a nearby serving platter and idly begins tearing off chunks as Lavinia explains her purpose with them.

Soller Vark, huh? Any child could've told her not to let that oaf near her ship... poor sot probably went with the first bidder, no questions asked. Rick folks... He grins at the mention of "speaking their language" but appears to lose interest when the others start enquiring about receipts.

MuffinMan
2014-12-06, 12:27 PM
[roll0] and filler characters

JWallyR
2014-12-06, 12:32 PM
Eyes narrowing as Edgar enters the room, nonetheless Garrett nods almost imperceptibly at Edgar's greeting.

"I'm guessing circus attraction. Can he do tricks?" pointing at Horace.

Garrett smirks at the "circus attraction" comment, but at the mention of "tricks" his face darkens before slipping back into studied disinterest.

As the four obvious adventurers enter the hallway, Garrett seems to tense in his chair, one hand sliding to rest near the pommel of his longsword, but otherwise he simply watches them pass.

To determine Lavinia's sincerity, etc.: [roll0], not counting the +2 from favored enemy

"If you can find out what he's using my ship for, or even better, recover the money I paid him, I'll pay each of you 200 gold crowns in return once I've access to my vault."

Garret's eyebrows rise sharply. He looks furtively at Firi'Sar, but holds his peace.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-06, 04:18 PM
Lavinia takes in everyone's questions and suggestions before answering, "Hold one moment - I am hiring all of you because you speak the language of the roughs down along the waterline, not to kill any of those roughs. If things go that poorly, do what you must, but don't make the first move, please.

My people have already attempted diplomacy through the harbormaster and I should have had witnesses or something for when I paid Vark, but I did not.

As for trusting me, I have no idea how to respond...Perhaps that sort of question is of concern in this line of work, but I am unprepared to offer you more in the way of reassurance than my word. If that will not be enough I do not even know how to do more."

The young noblewoman looks composed but a bit out of her element in such discussions. She is being open and doing her best to answer your questions.

Farmerbink
2014-12-06, 04:28 PM
Lavinia takes in everyone's questions and suggestions before answering, "Hold one moment - I am hiring all of you because you speak the language of the roughs down along the waterline, not to kill any of those roughs. If things go that poorly, do what you must, but don't make the first move, please.

My people have already attempted diplomacy through the harbormaster and I should have had witnesses or something for when I paid Vark, but I did not.

As for trusting me, I have no idea how to respond...Perhaps that sort of question is of concern in this line of work, but I am unprepared to offer you more in the way of reassurance than my word. If that will not be enough I do not even know how to do more."

The young noblewoman looks composed but a bit out of her element in such discussions. She is being open and doing her best to answer your questions.

Firi'sar watches her keenly while she speaks, nodding at intervals. Yes... I see. After several long seconds he nods once more, with finality somehow. Very well. I accept. I cannot speak for my... um... companions? That is, I cannot answer for those others present. He falls silent for a moment: Who brings a WOLF into a manor, anyway?... Sorry, yes. I will accept your offer. And I will, somewhat hesitantly, offer my services to the rest of you gathered here, since it appears this is to be a 5-person job. Err... does the wolf make it 6? He retakes his seat, and resumes puffing away at the pipe. So, when do we start?

the italics are mostly for thought, during periods of perhaps slightly awkward silence.

JWallyR
2014-12-06, 05:27 PM
Noting Firi'Sar's eye movements toward the wolf, Garrett tries to catch his glance to make a noncommittal shrug.

Noting Firi'Sar's answer, Garrett simply says, I'll bite, me too. before watching for responses from the others present.

MuffinMan
2014-12-06, 06:18 PM
Simon ticks off on his fingers. "Recover the money, find out what Vark's up to, and no rough stuff unless they start it. That about right?" He stands up and stretches, gazing out at the night sky. "The Blue Nixie, eh? I know where she'll be, or at least how to find out quick. Ought to have yer ship back to ya safe and sound in... a day? Tops? Assuming this lot don't slow me down."

JWallyR
2014-12-06, 07:20 PM
"...Assuming this lot don't slow me down."

Garrett suddenly scoffs, muttering under his breath, Ha. Why hire 5 when one man and his loud mouth can do it?

Untarr
2014-12-06, 07:39 PM
Lavinia takes in everyone's questions and suggestions before answering, "Hold one moment - I am hiring all of you because you speak the language of the roughs down along the waterline, not to kill any of those roughs."

"Oh, you wanted translators?" Lily says with a confused look. "I don't speak any other language than common." Looking around at the assembled cast of characters.

"I never knew being a translator was so dangerous. It must be, you all look like you could hold your own in a fight." Turning back to Lavinia "I must decline. I am not a translator and would be useless trying to speak this Roughlens language."

Farmerbink
2014-12-06, 10:47 PM
"Oh, you wanted translators?" Lily says with a confused look. "I don't speak any other language than common." Looking around at the assembled cast of characters.

"I never knew being a translator was so dangerous. It must be, you all look like you could hold your own in a fight." Turning back to Lavinia "I must decline. I am not a translator and would be useless trying to speak this Roughlens language."

Firi'sar chuckles at Lily's reaction. Heh, she meant it figuratively, dear- Though if she meant it literally, I would still offer my services. No, no, what she needs is someone who can get to the bottom of this situation, and respond to violence with violence- but only if necessary. Judging by the astonishing ease with which you carry that monster you call a sword, I think she is correct in that your presence could prove invaluable.

Casually, he turns his attention to Miss Vanderboren. So-correct me if I am mistaken- You have two tasks for us: inspect your ship and what it's being used for, and attempt to return your misappropriated funds- which is how much, exactly? As for a time frame, why don't you tell us when you need these tasks accomplished?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-07, 07:02 AM
"Recover the money, find out what Vark's up to, and no rough stuff unless they start it. That about right? ...Ought to have yer ship back to ya safe and sound in... a day?"

"Oh, you wanted translators?" ...I must decline. I am not a translator and would be useless trying to speak this Roughlens language."

...So-correct me if I am mistaken- You have two tasks for us: inspect your ship and what it's being used for, and attempt to return your misappropriated funds- which is how much, exactly? As for a time frame, why don't you tell us when you need these tasks accomplished?

"Soller Vark is up to something and it can't be good. Stop him, recover my payment to the harbormaster - a leather bag of one hundred platinum plates - and if you find my father's ring return it here. As long as I get access to the ship when you are done I should be able to find the ring if you don't," Lavinia explains. To Runt she says, "Mr. Throshana is correct - I do not need literal translators. But your reputation amongst the gladiator-trainers suggests you will prove helpful during the 'negotiations' with Vark." She uses air-quotes as she speaks, trying to explain the point clearly. "The sooner we recover the signet ring and regain access to the Vanderboren vault the sooner I can pay you for your work. If things go particularly smoothly there will likely be more jobs for you - you probably saw the Jade Ravens leaving. They normally cover these sorts of jobs. Right now they are on a different assignment, though."

Lainia Vandorboren stands at the head of the table, the large portrait on the wall centered behind her. Smiling she asks, "Until they return I would rely upon all of you. Are there any other questions?"

Farmerbink
2014-12-07, 09:54 AM
Firi'sar looks around the room, his gaze settling slightly longer on Simon and Edgar than the others. Yes, I think I realize why you've chosen us... His expression shifts to something closely resembling friendly, and he adds, shall we get started then, gentlemen? Without waiting for an answer, he rises from his seat and replaces the chair.

He carefully empties the bowl of his pipe in the atrium on the way out.

JWallyR
2014-12-07, 02:29 PM
Continuing to look mildly disinterested, Garrett nonetheless nodding politely to the hostess before saying, If Firi'Sar is in, I'm in. He sweeps the room briefly with his piercing gaze before following the elf out to the Atrium.

Once in the Atrium, he pulls Fix aside and quickly says, The guy with the wolf can handle his own in a fight, but I'm not sure about 'Sir Simon' and the girl. At least the lout will be good to take a few punches if it comes to that...

Farmerbink
2014-12-07, 03:17 PM
Once in the Atrium, he pulls Fix aside and quickly says, The guy with the wolf can handle his own in a fight, but I'm not sure about 'Sir Simon' and the girl. At least the lout will be good to take a few punches if it comes to that...

Firi'sar and Garret can be seen discussing something privately while the elf empties his pipe. The elf nods thoughtfully a few times before whispering back.

I'm not at all sure what sorts of checks should be made here. Characteristically, Garret and Fix would be trying to avoid having the others know what they're saying, but a poor enough roll on a "whisper" check or a high enough roll on perception would totally enable someone else to hear this conversation. If you want to do anything with it, Rob, just let us know.
I honestly couldn't tell you how she even lifts that blade, but something about her is definitely not normal. I know nothing about this 'Simon,' other than that he clearly thinks highly of himself, and his build suggests that he can hold his own in a fight. My biggest question is how Miss Vanderboren knows of us, them included.

As an afterthought, he adds, Remind me to teach you Elven sometime- better yet, Sylvan. It would be handy to be able to speak more openly.

As they separate, the elf walks casually in the direction of the docks, whistling merrily.

Untarr
2014-12-07, 06:12 PM
Lily's feet patter along next to the wolf and Edgar.

"So, Horace is it? And can I pet him now? He looks like such a sweet wolf", she says to Edgar with a large grin.

In all seriousness, what is our plan for this Vark fellow? I'm pretty good at being nice to people and getting them to say yes to me. But I have a feeling that won't work in this case.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-07, 07:57 PM
Lily's feet patter along next to the wolf and Edgar.

"So, Horace is it? And can I pet him now? He looks like such a sweet wolf", she says to Edgar with a large grin.

In all seriousness, what is our plan for this Vark fellow? I'm pretty good at being nice to people and getting them to say yes to me. But I have a feeling that won't work in this case.

"Just let him get your scent from the back of your hand first before you do and it's fine. The fact that you aren't trying to pummel me unconscious is a good indicator that your OK to him, though."

Horace' face grimaces slightly as the girls unexpected strength mashes down his scalp, but is otherwise pleased.

"As for the plan, I figure we go through three easy steps: A pleasant request; A firm demand with an audible for outright intimidation, and then physical violence. We must kill him, that's important. Dead men tell no tales, and we may want to build a reputation. I've leavened that you can find a fight whenever you want, but if you need information or a favor, it requires a relationship." Edgar purposely doesn't steer his path near the whispering men.Secrets already? I hope this job doesn't fall apart...

MuffinMan
2014-12-08, 10:23 AM
"Just let him get your scent from the back of your hand first before you do and it's fine. The fact that you aren't trying to pummel me unconscious is a good indicator that your OK to him, though."

"If only it were that easy with Vark. Ha-hah!" Simon chuckles. He listens to Edgar's advice as they walk to the docks, nodding for the most part, except to chip in, "You don't need no favors from the likes of Soller Vark, that's the truth. If it's reputation you want, though..." he grins.

JWallyR
2014-12-08, 11:02 AM
Garrett listens to the conversation from his place somewhat at the rear of the group, smiling somewhat sadly at the interaction between Lily and Horace.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-08, 11:03 AM
It is common knowledge that the Harbormaster of Sasserine, Keltar Islaran, has been suffering from a debilitating lung infection and that his children have no interest in taking up his responsibilities. As such, the docks are often poorly run these days, largely under the control of smugglers and thieves except when a wealthy ship-owner hires their own security. It is likely that to handle Lavinia's issues will require the PCs to take matters of the law into their own hands...

The Blue Nixie is docked at pier five in the Merchant District (the long one between the Merchants' Guildhall "F3" and the Smiths' Guildhall "F4" on the map of Sasserine). Unfortunately, as the unlikely companions arrive on site they discover that the ship is not docked t all - it is in fact moored about one hundred feet from the pier's end. Somehow the company needs to either get to the ship or contact Soller Vark...

Farmerbink
2014-12-08, 11:15 AM
Firi'sar approaches the fifth pier, looking to the ship moored offshore. Well this is certainly an interesting development.... I doubt our patron authorized this. So... do we waste our time speaking with this Vark fellow, or skip straight to private investigation?

12StoryCondo
2014-12-08, 01:57 PM
Firi'sar approaches the fifth pier, looking to the ship moored offshore. Well this is certainly an interesting development.... I doubt our patron authorized this. So... do we waste our time speaking with this Vark fellow, or skip straight to private investigation?

"I suggest killing an hour or two looking for Vark first to give him a chance to do the right thing. If he doesn't, we work him over, and it will then be dark enough to just climb the mooring ropes and board that thing without much risk of notice. I'd say swim there, but I feel like only some of us are qualified for that."] He glances in Simon's direction quickly.

JWallyR
2014-12-08, 03:28 PM
Grunting at the situation, Garrett listens and nods at Edgar. I figger 'e'll be a lot more cooperative if we can catch him with his pants down. Let's maybe lurk and see if we can surprise him outside the office, no?

MuffinMan
2014-12-08, 06:01 PM
"I'd rather he keep his pants up, if it's all same." Simon spits off the pier, arms crossed. "The elf's right - talking to Vark'll be a waste of your time even if he's not off whoring somewhere. Now, are we doing this thing?" Stepping to the edge of the dock, he crouches to inspect the distance and the progress of the tide. "Tell you what, I'll throw you a rope so you don't have to get your pretty clothes wet. You coming, Edgar?" Simon kicks off his boots and begins removing all but his armor and breeches in preparation for a swim.

Farmerbink
2014-12-08, 06:35 PM
"I'd rather he keep his pants up, if it's all same.

Firi'sar smirks, before his expression turns to shock as the man starts to disrobe. You can't- you- . He takes a breath and focuses his thoughts. You intend to swim out onto a boat, which we know to be involved in illegal acts, at best, and storm the deck single-handedly, with no idea what's on board? I must say, you had me going for a minute there. Here I was thinking you were cocky and smart. Enjoy your swim, lad. I'll let you know how the job went in prison tomorrow morning- assuming they didn't just string you up or gut you on the deck, that is. With that, Firi'sar turns from the pier and begins to head back away from the docks. A finger on his chin, he mutters to himself. Foolish nonsense. Now, what we need to do...

I would like to spend a few hours, or until an hour after nightfall, whichever comes first, using diplomacy and knowledge:local to gather information regarding the ship (from dockhands, other pier guards, whatever).

[roll0] diplomacy
[roll1] + [roll2] inspiration = 18 knowledge: local

Farmerbink
2014-12-08, 06:40 PM
upon further reading, 1: gathering information is JUST a diplomacy thing. and it takes [roll0] hours per check. I doubt my 18 k(local) revealed much, so my best plan is diplomacy, bitches! (can't wait until it's based on iiiiiint)

[roll1] hours
[roll2] diplomacy

Untarr
2014-12-08, 10:57 PM
"I'd rather he keep his pants up, if it's all same." Simon spits off the pier, arms crossed. "The elf's right - talking to Vark'll be a waste of your time even if he's not off whoring somewhere. Now, are we doing this thing?" Stepping to the edge of the dock, he crouches to inspect the distance and the progress of the tide. "Tell you what, I'll throw you a rope so you don't have to get your pretty clothes wet. You coming, Edgar?" Simon kicks off his boots and begins removing all but his armor and breeches in preparation for a swim.

Lily opens her tunic to reveal a suit of armor that consists of pieces of chainmail covered by 4 large pieces of steel plates.

I'm not swimming anywhere. Couldn't we get a boat? she says looking around.

I mean... she falls silent, looking around at the assembled men.

I, and Lily, have no idea what we are actually trying to do here. In case we are trying to find more information, which I think would be a great idea, I'm going to roll some diplomacy checks to gather information.

Diplomacy checks for information about Vark, his men, and the Blue Nixie.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Farmerbink
2014-12-09, 09:03 AM
I'm not swimming anywhere. Couldn't we get a boat? she says looking around.

I mean... she falls silent, looking around at the assembled men.

Fir'sar nods. I agree. We should do what we can to find out what we can before we charge headlong into gods-know what. Let's split up and try to make some friends, unless you know someone who might know something already...

MuffinMan
2014-12-09, 10:17 AM
Simon pauses in the act of pulling off his second boot, and sighs. "You're serious, aintcha? Well, I like sayin I told you so as much as the next guy, so sure, I'll play along." Sitting down on the dock with a thump, he starts putting his clothes back on. "Now where might be these new friends you're so interested in makin? This lot around here'll rob you blind, and if they don't cut your throat first, that's their way of being friendly" he grins unpleasantly.

JWallyR
2014-12-09, 12:19 PM
After a momentarily distasteful look at Simon, Garrett turns to Edgar. How about you take Simon and Lily and see if she can charm something out of the locals? Me an' Firi'Sar can fan out and keep our ears to the ground.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-09, 03:37 PM
Soller Vark has something of a reputation for greed and a distinct lack of conscience around this area of the docks. Shortly after the sun has set it become clear that he has been working out of the Blue Nixie lately and that several large crates and boxes have been moved onboard. Right now he and about a half-dozen other men are believed to be out on the moored ship waiting for something. No one will speak up about what that something is, either because they don't know or don't care to tell, but one man mentions the Scarlet Brotherhood in passing.

The Scarlet Brotherhood are rather disliked in Sasserine for their hand in some of the low points of the city's history but tolerated for the large amounts of money they bring into town. They are well known to be unscrupulous and willing to hire smugglers and thugs if such is the cheapest way to get what they want.

Farmerbink
2014-12-09, 09:16 PM
As the group returns to a point near the pier a few hours later, they discuss what each has learned.

I suggest a diversionary tactic. Since Lily here is probably unlikely to be good at stealth anyway, she and Garret should take a skiff right up to the side of the boat. Make a lot of noise, and try to get up on the deck, one way or another. Simon, Edgar, and I will climb up the ship from the other side, prepared to be your back up, in case things go south.

I suppose start with diplomacy? There's no sense spilling blood when it's unnecessary, and frankly, we don't know how many of them there are. Only a fool picks a fight he doesn't know he will win, and only a fool fights fair, so... Don't get yourselves hurt, and see what we can find out. Any questions? Suggestions?

Untarr
2014-12-09, 11:34 PM
Lily's mouth goes flat as she squints her eyes. With a slight tilt of her head she looks up with her eyes. She raises her hand with a start.

OH! I have questions! First, whose boat are we using? Second, what about the puppy? Third, would it be better for Garret to carry my greatsword? That way I can pretend to be some damsel princess thing? Uhhhh...FOURTH! What about your armor? Should we have a codeword for when you should strike? It should be "Birthday Surprise" so that they are like "What do you mean Birthday" and BLAM that's when you appear and stab them with sharp things!" When she stops she continues to breathe quick heavy (almost hyperventilating) breaths. Her eyes are wide and she's making stabbing motions with her hands.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-10, 12:08 AM
Edgar gives the girl a minute to catch her breath and stop...stabbing existence. Once her eyes refocus during the eerie silence, he counts off points on his fingers, "Well there are moored fishing boats all over this place, so our plan is to borrow the first two we can easily untie and ideally return them when we're finished. Second, Horace can grab hold of things with his jaws like a champion, but climbing requires more opposable thumbs and practice than he has. He'll wait in the boat," He makes eye contact with the wolf, "and we can haul him up with rope if necessary, but that's an unlikely situation. Third, If you like. I'm not sure they'll believe you can swing that monstrosity even if you are wearing it. Hell, I still haven't seen it myself. Fourth, don't worry about our armor, just worry about yours. Lastly, sure. Birthday surprise. Why not? Just don't shout it until you're close enough to stab them and you can see us coming up on them from the other side."

Edgar gazes around the assembled party, "Vark is probably looking for a fight, so it's possible this all goes belly up. Anyone shouts "Red Sky" and we retreat to the shore by any means available to regroup and replan. I don't plan on anyone here getting injured, aye?"

MuffinMan
2014-12-10, 10:50 AM
"Finally someone's talkin sense!" Simon grunts. "Let's commandeer those ships and get to it."

He assists the others with getting the boats in position, then strips down to his armor and breeches and prepares to swim to the ship.
[roll0], or take 10 for 19 if we're unhurried

JWallyR
2014-12-10, 11:52 AM
Garrett gives Fix a surly look before looking more closely at Lily, seeming to size her up. I sure hope you're as convincing as you seem to think. Looking at Fix, he continues: We're gonna make some noise, but don't you lot stop and smell any roses in case they ain't buying what she's selling.

Turning back to Lily, he says, Okay, who's fighting in the Arena tomorrow? Let's talk loudly about how that fight's gonna go, maybe put 'em off the scent on our way in.

Farmerbink
2014-12-10, 12:21 PM
Firi'sar works quickly with his fingers, untying a small skiff from a side dock. I know Garret knows how these oars work, are you familiar with rowing a boat, Lily? He notices Simon getting undressed and rethinks his course. Just follow Garret's lead. He'll tell you what you need to know.

Garrett gives Fix a surly look before looking more closely at Lily, seeming to size her up. I sure hope you're as convincing as you seem to think. Looking at Fix, he continues: We're gonna make some noise, but don't you lot stop and smell any roses in case they ain't buying what she's selling.[/COLOR]

The elf nods in agreement. We'll be there. Buy us some time, but we'll be there.

He then slips into the other skiff and heads towards the back side of the boat.

[roll0] swim +[roll1] if the result is lower than 10 (if this isn't an easy swim, that may change these choices....

[roll2] stealth + [roll3]? + circumstantial for the other two being deliberately distracting

if we get there
[roll4] + [roll5]? climb? I kind of hope we get to a different situation before this happens. In either case, I'm not burning inspiration on a previous of a 5.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-10, 05:55 PM
As the party takes a moment to prepare they find several small skiffs nearby. After a moment they are onboard and rowing out towards the Blue Nixie, their eyes peeled for signs of Vark or his men aboard the larger vessel.

I need Perception checks, along with a description of any special qualities your sight may possess, and either appropriate stealth checks or social checks to either avoid the following or handle it...
As they get within the reach of the light of the many torches and lanterns in the ship a man cries out in a burly voice, "Stop, you there in the rowboat, what are you doing? This is private property under the protection of the harbor master! Shove off before we make you wish you had!"

Farmerbink
2014-12-10, 06:23 PM
As they get within the reach of the light of the many torches and lanterns in the ship a man cries out in a burly voice, "Stop, you there in the rowboat, what are you doing? This is private property under the protection of the harbor master! Shove off before we make you wish you had!"

From the other skiff, Fix whispers, That's our queue, gentlemen, and begins climbing the anchor line on the other side of the ship.

climb probably failed before. 2nd attempt: [roll0] (I am guessing vs DC 10 or so) possible [roll1] inspiration extra Apparently, my 5 passed. If only barely.
[roll2] perception possible (with darkvision) [roll3] extra double nope.
stealth already rolled before.... still hoping for circumstantial bonuses.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-10, 08:21 PM
As the group begins untying the skiffs for use, Edgar takes off his pack and places it behind an out-of-view crate in a shadowy area on the dock. He gives a regretful look at Horace as the wolf pads up beside him. "I'm going to need to you stay here and watch over my pack, OK bud? I'd take you with us, but we can't safely get you aboard without making a fuss." He takes off his boots and socks as he speaks, followed by everything else except his knife strapped to his thigh, his spear on his back, and the leather armor and breeches, and a single copper piece in his pocket. "Don't give me the sad eyes; You know I want you there alongside me, but this is important too. And safer." He puts his hand on Horace's flank and kneels beside him, "I will be back. Just stay here for now. There's some jerky in this pocket if you get hungry." He pats the wolf and the leftmost pack pocket in turn, then rejoins the party.

Just getting Horace to wait there until I get back, not a huge thing. [roll0]

As he jogs back to the group, he makes noticeably less noise without all that gear knocking around and those boots clomping about. As the skiff heads toward the ship, Edgar steels himself for the fight that is almost certain to come. Almost to himself he softly sings "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Sol-ler..."

Edgar locks eyes with Firi'Sar and Simon and nods to the anchor chain.
[roll1] normal hu-man vision.
[roll2] +maybe a little for prepping and being shoeless? >_>
[roll3]

MuffinMan
2014-12-11, 04:32 AM
Simon swiftly ascends the rope just after Firi'Sar, keeping himself hidden behind a railing while listening for the signal from the others.
Perception [roll0]
Climb [roll1]
Stealth [roll2]

Untarr
2014-12-11, 07:08 AM
Lily spends the boat ride rubbing her eyes. Looking up at Garret.I used to do this with my dad when I wanted something. My eyes turn red and he thought I was crying.

Turning in the boat to face the man, Lily puts on a face that could best be described as a pout.

OHhhhh....*sniff sniff* I did not mean to bother you. I just *sniff* just heard so-so-some things about Vark that REALLY upset me. He's in danger *sniff* and I just wanted to tell him. Why do you have to be so mean about it?*sniff* I am just just *sniff* trying to help! her voice filled with despair.

[roll0] Diplomacy
[roll1] Bluff

JWallyR
2014-12-11, 02:01 PM
**Favored enemy bonus of +2 vs humans NOT included in any of following, due to my not having a good idea of when/where they apply yet**

Perception: [roll0] as appropriate
Bluff: [roll1] aid another to help Lily sweet talk the dude
Diplomacy: [roll2] aiding Lily?
Sense Motive: [roll3]

After only a moment of confusion, Garrett's eyes indicate his understanding of Lily's plan. Looking up at the lookout, he adopts a concerned look, saying, Yeah, we 'eard tell summat awful was being plotted, and knowin' 'ow big a deal the docks are, thought we might do the neighborly thing and give the man a warnin'. Mind droppin' a ladder? My ladyfriend here ain't too good with climbin', an' that's when she's not worked up summat fierce. He gestures helplessly at the tiny woman.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-12, 08:25 AM
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/114789/blue_nixie.jpg

The Blue Nixie is an example of a rather common, triple-mast frigate. These ships are common enough in Sasserine that all of the PCs know the lay out of the ship's decks.

B1. Main Deck
B2. Quarterdeck (at the front or "brow" of the ship)
B3. Forecastle (pronounced "foke-sul") Deck (at the rear, or "aft" of the ship)
B4. Sail Locker (storage for the sails and other cloth or nets)
B5. Chain Locker (storage for the chain of the anchor and replacement chains)
B6. Wardroom (the meeting place and administrative office of the officers and captain)
B7. Officer's Quarters
B8. Captain's Quarters
B9. Galley (the kitchen)
B10. Hold
B11. Crew Quarters
B12. Brig (jail)
B13. Bilge Access (access to the area below the lowest deck, often storage of items not needed daily)
It appears that Lily and Garrett have gotten the attention of most of the thugs watching on the main deck, as two of them come to the rail and look over the side. Simon, Edgar, and Firi'Sar all get close enough to get good grips on the various mooring lines but find them and the hull of the ship slick with moisture. They are all able to get started climbing, though Firi'Sar cannot make it up onto deck before everyone hears, "Hey there! What are you doing? Vark, boss!" and one of the thugs comes running to the side where Edgar and Simon are standing.

Beginning combat. See here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit?usp=sharing) for our tactical map(s). I realize that the image is only five squares deep - for ease of handling movement I am expanding it slightly to six.

Farmerbink
2014-12-12, 08:53 AM
Round 1

Fix stops in his tracks briefly when he hears the call of alarm on the deck. ****! he swears. Keep them from the edge! He redoubles his efforts to get on the deck before they get swarmed by the guards.

Firi'Sar Throshana (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=54895)
M NG Elf Investigator, Level 1, Init 7, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Rapier +0 (1d6, 18-20/x2)
Shortbow (20 standard arrows) +3 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather Armor, (+3 Armor, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 10, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 13
Condition Inspiration: 3/4

at least one move action to get up on the deck. (I think you said I'd passed one?)
[roll0] climb check +[roll1]
[roll2] climb check +[roll3]

If I get up top on the first action, and see people likely to stay further away than melee, I will draw my bow. Otherwise, I will draw my rapier. Err on the side of short bow.

Untarr
2014-12-12, 08:54 AM
Round 1

uhh...BIRTHDAY SURPRISE!!

Initiative
[roll0]

Climb Check
[roll1]

Second Climb, if needed
[roll2]

Ready an action to attack with cestus if thug gets within range.

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Lily "Runt" Kraan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1056062)
F NG Human Bloodrager, Level 1, Init +3, HP 12/12, DR -, Speed 40
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Greatsword +5 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
Worn Cestus +5 (1d4+4, 19-20/x2)
Thrown Chakram (5) +3 (1d8+4, x2)
Four Mirror (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14
Condition None

Farmerbink
2014-12-12, 08:55 AM
to roll initiative.... [roll0] +[roll1]22 is good :-D

JWallyR
2014-12-12, 09:35 AM
Round 1

Spitting out a curse, Garrett looks for a rope to climb up onto the deck...

Initiative: [roll0]

Climb check: [roll1]

If the BAB +1 allowing the drawing of a weapon during a move action applies after the climb, I would be happy to use the bow to shoot the nearest guard. Rolls to follow:

Attack: [roll2] +1 BAB, +4 Dex, +2 Fav Enemy, +1 PBS
CC: [roll3] x3 on 28
Damage: [roll4] +2 Fav Enemy, +1 PBS

Otherwise, Climb Check to Aid Lily on getting on board (roll to follow 'cause I'm dumb)

JWallyR
2014-12-12, 09:36 AM
Aid Another on a Climb Check to get Lily on board: [roll0]

JWallyR
2014-12-12, 11:02 AM
To just pull Lily up the side based on her one good climb check of 9? :D Assuming the Aid Another doesn't bump her to a 10 and get her on the boat anyway.

Strength check: [roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-12-12, 08:29 PM
Round 1

[roll0]

"Evening, gents!" Simon twists his neck about and cracks his knuckles before charging across the deck at the closest guard!

Charge at Th2 (or just move if charge not possible) and power attack punch nonlethally:
Power Attack [roll1] (+2 more if charging)
CC [roll2] (20/x2)
Damage [roll3]
"Sir" Simon MacIntyre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1064619)
M N Human Brawler, Level 1, Init +2, HP 13/13, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Dagger (4) +5 (1d4+4, 19-20/x2)
Unarmed Strike +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
Condition None
Martial Flexibility: used 0 / 3

12StoryCondo
2014-12-12, 10:46 PM
[roll0]

Edgar quickly pulls the spear from his back and places the butt of it on the deck, leaning slightly. "This looks pretty bad, but no worse than what you lot are planning here. I give you this one chance to let us conduct our business on this boat unmolested. Do you take it?" He leans the spear forward a bit, anticipating the thug's action.

Bracing my spear against a charge if he makes a run at me. Attack roll of [roll1] if he comes at me, potentially hitting for [roll2]. Diplomacy of [roll3] to convince him that this is a bad idea if the check applies.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-13, 08:37 AM
Thugs' [roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4], [roll5], [roll6]
Vark [roll7]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-13, 08:48 AM
Round 1

Firi'Sar leaps onto the deck and draws his bow as yelling from inside the fore of the ship can be heard. Lily clumsily makes her way to the deck and Simon charges TH2, missing. TH2 responds by drawing a rapier and stabbing Simon (for 5 damage). Th3 fires a crossbow bolt at the large man, missing him barely. As Edgar speaks and sets himself for a charge the remaining visible thug shoots at Lily, missing her badly, and Garrett gets up on deck and helps the woman steady herself.

Fix leaps onto deck and draws his bow
Vark (unseen)
Lily climbs onto deck (with Garrett's help)
Simon charges TH2 and misses
Th2 attacks Simon AC 15
Rapier [roll0] attack, [roll1] (18-20/x2), [roll2] (hit)
Th3 attacks Simon AC 15
Light Crossbow [roll3] attack, [roll4] (19-20/x2), [roll5] [roll2] (miss due to firing into melee)
Th4-7 (offscreen)
Edgar sets himself for a charge
Th1 attacks Lily AC 17
Light Crossbow [roll6] attack, [roll7] (19-20/x2), [roll8] [roll2] (miss)
Garrett leaps on board and helps Lily up
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit?usp=sharing) updated.

Untarr
2014-12-13, 09:57 AM
Round 2

Watching the arrow pass by her, Lily's eyes widen.
You just tried to shoot me! OHMYGODSYOUDIDNOTJUSTTRY. TO. SHOOT. ME!

Lily's hand wraps around the hilt of the greatsword as she barrels down on the man.

Charge Th1
As part of the charge Draw Greatsword

[roll]1d20+6[roll] 16 (See Next Post) +2 Charge, -1 Power Attack
[roll0] CC
[roll1] DMG

F NG Human Bloodrager, Level 1, Init +3, HP 12/12, DR -, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 9, Flat-footed 14, CMD 14, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +0, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Greatsword +5 (2d6+6, 19-20/x2)
Worn Cestus +5 (1d4+4, 19-20/x2)
Thrown Chakram (5) +3 (1d8+4, x2)
Four Mirror (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, -2 Misc)
Condition None

Untarr
2014-12-13, 09:58 AM
[roll0]
oops damn "/"

I need you to move 5ft to your north so that I can charge Th2 Next round.

Farmerbink
2014-12-13, 10:59 AM
Round 2

Firi'Sar moves behind a lifeboat and shoots at the guard with the crossbow.

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13, CMD 13, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 0

standard action: short bow attack thug 3
[roll0] attack
[roll1] cc (20, x3)
[roll2] damage

move action: get to Q10 (yay, partial cover (I assume)) If that doesn't count as cover, move to N13 instead.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-13, 12:21 PM
Round 2

Edgar hunkers down near Firi'Sar, holding the spear at the ready. " 'Sure, pack light, Edgar. You won't need all those clothes and spears, they make too much noise' " He says mockingly at himself. "I've got your back, Firi'Sar, for what it's worth at the moment." He looks nervously at the stairs in the corners of the deck, waiting for a hundred angry men to start pouring out.

Move 5 feet to L10, crouch by the lifeboat, and ready an action to spear anything that comes within reach.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Stealth if it applies to people (if any) coming from the H10 staircase who haven't seen us: [roll2]

MuffinMan
2014-12-13, 01:40 PM
Round 2

Simon hisses in pain as the blade pierces him. "That's how it is, eh?" he growls as he draws his club before slamming it into the guard.

Draw club and 2H power attack Th2!!!
Attack [roll0]
CC [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]
"Sir" Simon MacIntyre (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1064619)
M N Human Brawler, Level 1, Init +2, HP 8/13, Speed 30
AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +4, Ref +4, Will +1, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None

JWallyR
2014-12-13, 02:04 PM
Round 2

As combat breaks out all across the deck, Garrett assesses, then moves to the mast while readying his longbow and taking aim!

Move to O,14 while drawing longbow

Attack TH1:
Attack: [roll0] +5 ranged, +2 fav enemy, +1 PBS
CC: [roll1] +5 ranged, +2 fav enemy, +1 PBS
Damage: [roll2] +2 fav enemy, +1 PBS

Garrett (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=1056220)
M CN Human Ranger, Level 1, Init +4, HP 11/11, Speed 30
AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (Arrows (20)) Ranged (1d8, x3)
Longsword Melee (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Cestus Melee (1d4, 19-20, x2)
Leather Armor, Buckler (+2 Armor, +1 Shield, +4 Dex)
Abilities Str 15, Dex 18, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-13, 05:15 PM
Round 2

Firi'Sar shoots the thug who sounded the alarm, hitting him solidly in the chest and moves to find some cover behind a life boat. Lily charges the man who shot at her, cleanly severing most of his upper torso from the rest of his body with the weight of her attack. Simon knocks out his opponent (with a potentially lethal blow to the head). Seeing two of his allies dead or dying and with an arrow sticking out of his chest the living thug runs up the stairs behind him to hide behind the mast, yelling, "By the gods, don't kill me!"

At the fore of the ship a door opens and two men shoot crossbow bolts out. One misses Edgar while the other connects with Lily (7 damage). Edgar finds cover while Garrett takes a shot and misses Th4.

Fix shoots Th3 for 6 damage and moves to Q10
Vark (unseen)
Lily charges Th1 and kills him
Simon attacks Th2 and knocks him unconscious (from lethal damage)
Th3 moves to X12 and begs for his life
Th4 opens the door and shoots at Edgar AC 15
Light Crossbow [roll0] attack, [roll1] (19-20/x2), [roll2] damage (miss)
Th5 shoots at Lily AC 15
Light Crossbow [roll3] attack, [roll4] (19-20/x2), [roll5] damage (hit)
Th6-7 (offscreen)
Edgar moves and readies an action to attack (no one does)
Garrett moves to O14 and misses Th4
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit?usp=sharing) updated.

MuffinMan
2014-12-13, 05:53 PM
Round 3

Simon's head jerks around at the snap of two new crossbows being fired, but he decides Lily and Edgar can handle it. Disregarding the wounded thug behind the mast, he moves to look belowdecks and calls out. "You're done, Vark! Give it up and noone else gets hurt!"

Move to V13 and look belowdecks, readying action to attack any enemy who gets it range:
2H power attack [roll0] <--- Oops, should only be +4 b/c power attack penalty
CC [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None

JWallyR
2014-12-13, 07:28 PM
Round 2

Garrett spares a quick look over his shoulders, doing a double-take as the halves of Lily's assailant fall (in different directions) to the ground. Seeming to shake away his momentary surprise, he returns his aim to the crossbowmen...

Move to M13 (or closer if necessary to maintain PBS range) and attack, preferring wounded thugs.

Attack: [roll0] +5 from BAB/Dex, +2 Fav, +1 PBS
CC: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2]

AC 17, Touch 14, Flat-footed 13, CMD 17, Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longbow (Arrows (19)) Ranged (1d8, x3)
Longsword Melee (1d8, 19-20/x2)
Cestus Melee (1d4, 19-20, x2)
Condition None

Farmerbink
2014-12-13, 08:57 PM
Round 3

Firi'sar yells up to the thug(3), Stay up there, and you might live through this! before shooting at the nearer of the two in the doorway.

Shortbow (19 standard arrows) +3 (1d6, x3)

[roll0] attack
[roll1] (23,x3)
[roll2] damage

then move to P/12 for new cover.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-14, 03:02 AM
Round 3

Edgar remains behind the lifeboat, surveying the increasingly gruesome scene as it unfolds. "Everyone doing fine?" He keeps a low profile and very defensive stance in light of the hails of arrows flitting about.

Basically since I only have the one spear, and throwing it would likely be a waste at this point, I just crouch in cover and total defense this round until someone needs medical attention or a stabbing.

Untarr
2014-12-14, 10:06 AM
Round 3

Lily's eyes grow wide at the body cut in two before her. A smile creeps onto her face as she speaks"Anyone else want to shoot at" *THWACK!*. The crossbow bolt pierces her armor on her left side

...ME?

Gripping the bolt, she yanks it out. Lily advances on the two men with the crossbows, Greatsword in one hand pointed at them. Mid-stride her eyes seem to catch on fire in a hot blue flame. Soon after, a light azure glow seems to emanate from any exposed skin.

Grasping with both hands, she winds up her great sword and swings widely at both men.

Free Action: Rage
Move Action: (H,12)
Standard Action: Cleave

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

F NG Human Bloodrager, Level 1, Init +3, HP 7/14, DR -, Speed 40
AC 13, Touch 7, Flat-footed 12, CMD 14, Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 1
Greatsword Melee (2d6+(1.5 Str), 19-20/x2)
Worn Cestus Melee (1d4+(Str), 19-20/x2)
Thrown Chakram (5) +3 (1d8+(Str), x2)
Four Mirror (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, -4 Misc)
Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-14, 10:44 AM
Round 3

Firi'Sar misses Th4 and moves to put the mast between him and the emerging thugs. From out of the officer's wardroom bursts Soller Vark angrily shouting as he moves up to Lily and stabs her with his rapier (7 damage).

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/56995/220px-Soller_vark.png
Lily, reeling from lost blood violently attacks the tattooed man, dealing a grevious blow to him. In response he cries out, "Burn them! Burn them all!" Lily then collapses, unconscious.

Simon rushes to the stairs and looks below the decks. While there he hears animal sounds from the hold and begins to smell smoke.

On the forecastle Th3 can be heard running and diving off the side of the ship. The thugs in the wardroom fire at Edgar, Garrett, and Lily, all missing. Moments later a cacophony of noise erupts from the hold, along with smoke beginning to rise from the grate to the hold on the main deck.

Fix misses Th4 and moves to P12
Vark moves to K15 and attacks Lily AC 15
MW Rapier [roll0] attack, [roll1] (18-20/x2), [roll2] damage (hit)
Lily rages and hits Vark, dealing 15 damage
Lily takes 1 damage for acting when disabled (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#disabled) and falls prone (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/glossary.html#prone) at -1 HPs.
Simon moves to V13 and readies an action to attack an enemy (none come into range)
Th3 runs and dives off the ship to swim for the shore
Th4 attacks Edgar AC 15+4 cover
Light Crossbow [roll3] attack, [roll4] (19-20/x2), [roll5] (miss)
Th5 attacks Garrett AC 17+2 partial cover
Light Crossbow [roll6] attack, [roll7] (19-20/x2), [roll8] (miss)
Th6 attacks Lily AC 15+4 prone
Light Crossbow [roll9] attack, [roll10] (19-20/x2), [roll11] (miss)
Th7 (offscreen) begins lighting cages and animals on fire
Edgar takes total defense
Garrett moves to M13 and hits Th4 for 4 damage

Untarr
2014-12-14, 11:19 AM
Round 4

[roll0] vs DC 10

Farmerbink
2014-12-14, 11:32 AM
Round 4

Smelling smoke, Firi'sar calls out to his companions, Simon! Get that fire out, yesterday!! We can't let this ship sink! He shifts slightly, to the other side of the mast, and fires at the ugly ringleader.

5-foot step to P/13 (<3 full cover!)
standard action:
[roll0] short bow (+[roll1] inspiration? Dammit, nope.) attacking Vark
[roll2] CC (23, x3)
[roll3] damage

move action: sheathe short bow (Cestus currently equipped)

12StoryCondo
2014-12-14, 02:28 PM
Round 4

As the entire situation hits him, Edgar falls silent but for a low intonation of prayer to Nature. He fixes his determined gazed on Lily as a soft, white light springs to life in his palm. He bounds through the crossfire and slides in next to her unconscious form and the light snakes from his hand to her open would as he lays it upon her.

Cast Cure Light Wounds, move to Lily (M15) and deliver it for [roll0] healing.
Avoiding attacks of opportunity is ideal here, but I won't know if there's any moving to because my initiative is so low. Suffice it to say that if I can't reach her without potentially dying, I'll hold the spell and move safely around the central mast beside Firi'Sar.

MuffinMan
2014-12-14, 02:49 PM
Round 4

Simon hesitates, looking from the smoke coming to the hold back to where Vark stands over Lily, unconscious. Bugger this, he thinks. Turning away from the hold, he raises his club and charges across the ship at Vark!

If Simon can charge and attack Vark, do so:
2H Power Attack [roll0]
CC [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

If unable to charge, instead spend 1 move action going belowdecks to examine the cause of the fire. If Simon thinks he has a way to put it out, 2nd move action to do that, else, 2nd move actions to get back up top a and move as close as possible to Vark / thugs.
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None

JWallyR
2014-12-14, 11:43 PM
Round 4

Garrett coolly looses an arrow at Vark before moving to join Firi'Sar behind the mast. Guess 'e's not much for orders, huh? I'll head to the brig and see what I can do.

Attack Vark

Damage: [roll2] <-- Should have been a d8? I'll reroll in a following post in case "add 2 to damage!" isn't a desired fix for this.

Then move to Q13 in anticipation of heading down to put out fires.

Longbow (Arrows (18)) Ranged (1d8, x3)
Longsword Melee (1d8+str, 19-20/x2)
Cestus Melee (1d4+str, 19-20, x2)
Condition None

JWallyR
2014-12-14, 11:45 PM
Damage die from last post should have been a d8. New roll for damage: [roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-15, 08:54 AM
Round 4

Fix misses Vark and steps closer to the grate leading into the hold. Vark, bleeding profusely from his wound tumbles over the side into the skiff used by Garrett and Lily where he tries to begin escaping. Lily continues to bleed, her breathing ragged and shallow.

Opening the door to the hold Simon sees a gruesome sight:

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/58947/rhagodessa.jpg
A man-sized bug with eight legs and enormous mandibles inside a large pen throws itself at a thug, breaking through the bars and viciously biting and grappling the man. He screams in pain before the creature worries him, snapping his neck and silencing him suddenly. All around the hold are smaller pens of exotic animals in various states of panic. Several cages are on fire, though there is much more smoke than there is fire.

The thugs, seeing their leader flee, run for the railing and dive overboard, making an effort to swim for the shore. Edgar, seeing that combat is ending, moves to Lily and heals her (for 4 HPs, leaving her at 2 total HPs). Garrett misses his mark and looks into the hold, seeing the massive arthropod moving from cage to cage attacking and eating the animals there.

Fix takes a 5-ft step to P13, misses Vark, and puts away his bow
Vark moves and leaps to the skiff used by Garrett and Lily, fleeing
Lily stops raging and fails to stabilize losing 3 HP total
Simon opens the door to the hold and sees the Rhagodessa get free and eat Th7
Th3 swims towards the shore (leaves combat)
Th4, Th5 , and Th6 all move to follow Vark
Rhagodessa eats Th7 and begin eating the other animals
Edgar moves to heal Lily 4 hps
Garrett misses Vark and moves to look inside the grate
Map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit?usp=sharing) updated. End of combat (until the Rhagodessa sees a PC...). Lily still needs healing, since when her rage ended she lost 4 Constitution (and there for lost 2 more HPs) leaving her disabled right now at 0 HPs.

JWallyR
2014-12-15, 09:27 AM
Garrett looks up from the grate giving access to the hold, eyes wide. Swallowing away his surprise and fear, he turns to Firi'Sar and says I think we better leave the hold be, see if we can find anything in the captain's quarters, and hit the waves. He then calls across the ship to where Edgar tends to Lily, Can you get her on her feet? This boat ain't gonna be afloat much longer!

MuffinMan
2014-12-15, 11:07 AM
Closing the door to the hold as gently as he can, Simon backs away until he reaches the deck again. "Where's Vark?? *****!!!" he exclaims as he takes in the situation. "Awright, there's a giant bug down there and it ain't too happy neither, so we're gonna let it go for a swim." He points to Garret and Firi'Sar - "You two! Get whatever you can from the wardroom and the captain's quarters. Edgar! Give me a hand with these lifeboats." Rushing to the starboard side of the ship, Simon begins untying the small lifeboat and readying it to depart.
In case a roll is needed: [roll0]... or take 10 for 15, time allowing.

Farmerbink
2014-12-15, 12:06 PM
"Awright, there's a giant bug down there and it ain't too happy neither, so we're gonna let it go for a swim." He points to Garret and Firi'Sar - "You two! Get whatever you can from the wardroom and the captain's quarters. Edgar! Give me a hand with these lifeboats."

Fix stares agape at the man for a moment, before responding. There is a small fire belowdecks- else we'd all be choking on the smoke by now. I don't give two shakes of a rat what bug is down there, if you think we're going to make our 200 a piece without at least trying to save the ship, you're even more naive than the Vanderboren lady! Look, there will be time, and ample opportunity, to deal with Vark later, and I can tell you, I'm looking forward to it, but for now, we kill that insect, and put out the fires!

Without waiting for a response, Fix pulls a small vial from the pouch at his pocket and drinks it. As he rapidly diminishes in size, he draws his bow again, and moves towards the grate to see what's going on below, trying to keep out of sight from the creature. Let me see what I can find down there.

[roll0] + [roll1] stealth
[roll2] + [roll3] perception

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-15, 12:06 PM
As the sound of animals squawking and screaming continues the smoke coming out of the hold decreases. It appears the efforts to set cages on fire has created more smoke then fire and that the ship is not in danger of sinking anytime soon. From their glimpses into the hold Firi'Sar and Garrett can see that the bug-like creature is mindlessly attacking the caged creatures through their cage bars. It isn't effortlessly tearing into them, either.

Apparently my descriptions have been overly-dramatic. The ship is not sinking, you all do not need to fight a fire, and the rhagodessa is entirely defeatable by this party (CR 2). Less panic and more healing, planning, and fighting is in order, IMO.

Farmerbink
2014-12-15, 12:09 PM
With wider eyes than before, Firi'sar reports from the grate in a stage whisper. OK, that's a big bug, I'll give you that. We still have to take him, so if you all are done bandying around up here, there's work to be done!

He heads over to the ladder and quietly slips down to the lower deck.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-15, 01:51 PM
"We've got time, Simon. I need you Yo prepare to fight that thing below deck. Draw it up here while I pick Runt up, and we'll ambush it this opening," He points at the staircase that Firi'Sar just ventured down, "and make sure that Elf doesn't get himself killed if possible."

Edgar rubs his hands together while chanting again.Come on, dammit! Get up!

Cure Light Wounds on Lily for [roll0] healing.

Once she's up, Edgar moves to the aforementioned staircase with his spear in hand and at the ready for a charge at a moments notice.

JWallyR
2014-12-15, 02:16 PM
After reassessing the situation per Firi'Sar's admonishment, Garrett shrugs, making his way to where the tiny elf sits. Waving Simon over, he readies another arrow and nods his head in the direction of the bug while giving Simon a significant look.

Untarr
2014-12-15, 02:40 PM
Standing up, Lily wips the blood off her face. Pulling her hair back behind her ears, she steadies herself.

Her eyes begin to glow again.
GET READY. I'll GET ITS ATTENTION. Her voice has changed. Its like two voices are talking. One is hers, and one is something much bigger.

She moves with purpose towards the ladder leading below decks, pulling out what looks like a small metal wheel, until you realize that the outer edge has been sharpened.

Leaning into the hold, she prepares to throw.

JWallyR
2014-12-15, 02:46 PM
Eyes widening in surprise at Lily's... 'enthusiasm', Garrett edges around the corner of the stairway, bow readied to loose in time with Lily's throw...

Initiative? :D [roll0]

Stealth to avoid the bug's notice: [roll1]

Attack: [roll2] 5 from dex/bab, 1 from pbs
CC: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Condition None

MuffinMan
2014-12-15, 09:04 PM
Simon turns away from the lifeboat with a grunt. "Ugh. Well, no one can call you lot cowards. crazy idiots, on the other other hand... Awright!" he steps up behind Lily, twirling his club in a dizzying display. "C'mere, bug! Time to get squashed!" he calls as he opens the door for Lily to make her throw.
Activate to gain the benefits of Weapon Focus w/ club for 1min.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-15, 10:22 PM
Edgar stands and delicately steps toward the staircase behind the others in a hunting stance and holds his spear out. "If it makes it past your opening salvo, move behind me and let it move forward."

[[color="#339999"]Ready an attack if that thing comes within range. Pray that he charges and that I don't miss >_>.

Untarr
2014-12-16, 10:48 AM
Moving down the ladder, Lily hides behind the mast. She looks towards Garret across the hold and nods, readying her greatsword.

Stealth
[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-16, 05:41 PM
Before Combat

The company moves quietly enough to avoid the creature's attentions, gathering on both sides of the hold. The smoke and animal noises seem to distract it effectively, and everyone reaches their desired starting points unnoticed. At the signal everyone with a ranged option fires and those without charge into the fray!

Everyone gets a surprise round (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/combat.html#surprise). That means standard or move actions only. If you are charging you can still do so, but cannot move more than your normal movement rate (not twice your normal rate, as is normally possible on a charge).

If you already rolled initiative, please use the same one you already rolled. If you would like to use previous attack rolls that will be fine too. Otherwise, I need initiative rolls and any other relevant rolls (like attack/damage).

The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit?usp=sharing) is updated.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-16, 07:15 PM
"Garrett, hit him in a joint if possi-" he realizes to whom he is speaking, "Never mind; You have this." Edgar coils like a spring behind Simon just waiting for the first volley to be fired.

Hold action to go at the top of initiative in round 1

Farmerbink
2014-12-16, 07:33 PM
Surprise round!

From his position near the mast, Firi'sar shoots the monstrous insectoid with his short bow.

S NG Elf Investigator, Level 1, Init 7, HP 8/8, Speed 30
AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Shortbow (20 standard arrows) +5 (1d6, x3)
Studded Leather Armor, (+3 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Size)
Abilities Str 8, Dex 18, Con 10, Int 18, Wis 10, Cha 13
Condition Inspiration: 3/4, Reduce person: 1 min

[roll0] SB attack
[roll1] CC (25, x3)
[roll2] damage

Farmerbink
2014-12-16, 07:35 PM
Whoops

[roll0] initiative

If you want round 1 stuff immediately:
[roll1] +[roll2]?
[roll3]
[roll4] <- D:

MuffinMan
2014-12-16, 09:38 PM
Surprise Round

Simon raises his club and lets out a battle cry as he charges the giant insect!
Initiative [roll0]
Delay action until the two archers have fired, then charge and 2H power attack!
Attack [roll1] (wpn focus and power attack offset, +2 charge)
CC [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None
Martial Flexibility: used 1 / 3

Untarr
2014-12-17, 12:52 AM
Surprise Round

Steadying herself in front of Firi'sar, she waits until she hears the twang of the bolt before dashing forward.

Free Action: Rage
Charge Power Attack

[roll1] Charge (+2) Power Attack (-1)
[roll2]
[roll3]

F NG Human Bloodrager, Level 1, Init +3, HP 6/13, DR -, Speed 40
AC 15, Touch 9, Flat-footed 14, CMD 16, Fort +6, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 1
Four Mirror (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, -2 Misc)
Abilities Str 22, Dex 12, Con 19, Int 8, Wis 8, Cha 14
Condition None

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-17, 10:23 AM
Surprise Round

The party coordinates brilliantly, with everyone hitting the mark. While the bow shots seem to do little to the creature, both Simon and Lily land crippling blows! The creature falls, unconscious and dying with ichor leaking from its armored carapace.

Edgar delays his action to go first in the normal combat round
16 - Garrett hits the Rhagodessa for 2 damage
10 - Firi'Sar hits the Rhagodessa for 1 damage
10 - Simon charges and hits the Rhagodessa for 12 damage
6 - Lily rages, charges, and hits the Rhagodessa for 19 damage

End of a rather simple combat, though it took some effort to make the setting clear. I am not sure everyone understands the map even now - for example, Simon could not technically charge the bug from where he is located right now (there is a wall or stairway in the way, and charging requires a clear, unobstructed path). That said, enough damage was done that the rhagodessa falls.
------------------

After taking several moments to put out the fire and return some semblance of order to the hold the PCs may safely begin to search the ship for Lady Vanderboren's payment and her family's ring. Returning the ship to the dock to retrieve Horace is also possible. What do you all do now?

JWallyR
2014-12-17, 10:37 AM
As the bug-like creature falls, Garrett takes a moment to nod acknowledgment of the blows rained down upon it by Simon and Lily. Shrugging in the direction of Firi'Sar, he moves to control fires and restore what order there can be in the hold, before searching for the ring and anything else that looks to be of value (logs of payment, records and such).

Take 20 on Perception for a 26

Untarr
2014-12-17, 11:01 AM
Her eyes stop glowing as she yanks the sword out of the carcass. Breathing heavily, she checks over herself and sees the blood stain on her tunic.
"OH DRAT! Ruined." she says holding the bloodstain in her hand. "Blood is just IMPOSSIBLE to remove." Throwing the tunic on the floor, her armor shines in the light of the fire.

"What now?"

MuffinMan
2014-12-17, 11:15 AM
"Now we get what we came for, get back, and get paid" Simon explains while wiping the bug's remains from his club. "Spread out and look for that ring - the sooner we find it, the sooner we're done here."
Along with James, take 20 for 25

Untarr
2014-12-17, 11:52 AM
Wait. Didn't she say to get the boat back? Or find out what they were doing with it? Or something? I don't think we were supposed to find the ring itself...

Farmerbink
2014-12-17, 12:32 PM
"Now we get what we came for, get back, and get paid"

Firi'sar chortles loudly while he helps to put out the flames. Finally, the man speaks wisdom! Let us indeed wrap up this little fiasco. I will look into the officer's quarters, above. If we have any trouble finding either the 1000 gp or the ring, maybe we'll get the chance to speak with Mr. Vark again tonight. Wouldn't that be joyful. With a genuine smile, he heads up the ladder and into the officer's quarters, carefully.

assuming no threats, take 20 on perception for 24.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-17, 08:35 PM
"Well whether we find the money or not, I'm not sure they'll let this boat out with Vark still pulling the strings. Not willingly anyway..." He taps his heel on the deck and appreciates the sound for a moment.

"So while you lot are searching this place, I'm going to go retrieve my pack and get Horace. Care to join me, Lily? It's better to travel in pairs if those survivors are feeling frisky at the shore, and I'll bet Horace will let you rub his head." Lily's eyes widen with glee for a moment and she zips out of the hold and up the stairs to the deck surprisingly fast for having all that metal on her. "We'll be back soon. Oh and please help us get the lifeboat back up when we return. Shouldn't be long." He climbs up the ladder and lowers a lifeboat into the water with Lily's assistance.

A couple minutes of rowing in uncomfortable silence pass before Edgar pipes up. "I really never thought you would swing that thing, let alone nearly cut a man in half with it. What the hell man? And the voice!? Please tell me you have that stuff under your control."

Lily takes a moment to respond, distracted by the momentarily serene rhythm of the rowing matches with the small waves. "Yeah, that's definitely a thing I do. And it's totally under control probably. I do it all the time! Not all the time, but like whenever I want to. Well not whenev-"
He cuts her off, "Hah, I think I understand. I wish I had the ability to just cut loose like that, y'know? Unleash the pure, focused, predatory beast inside on my foes without losing it completely. Maybe I'll learn something from you." He grins as the boat pull up to the shore near his "hiding spot".

Edgar stands easily in the small boat and gives a short, shrill whistle, "Horace! Horace com-"*SPLASH!* He sighs quietly to himself as the wolf paddles up next to the boat with a dopey grin on his mug. "There's my guy! I'd be mad that you soaked my pack, but you didn't bring it, did ya, bud?" He helps Horace into the boat then mashes his head with his palm while making some very stupid noises. "Say hi to Lily, bud. She's alright." He hops up and grabs the docks edge to pull himself up just as Horace shakes himself dry. Lily, unphased, cries "Pup-py!" and nearly chokes the wolf with the force of her hug.

A moment later Edgar's pack drops into the boat with a thud as the man splashes into the water himself. He surfaces and says "Sorry, it needed to be done. Shall we return to the others? They'll probably be finished searching the place soon." He climbs into the boat, grabs the oars, and begins rowing.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-18, 07:53 AM
A thorough search of the ship find no more thugs and reveals that the ship was being prepared to sail out for at least a couple of days. In the captain's quarters is a trunk in which the pouch of 100 platinum plates (Lavinia Vanderboren's lost payment to the harbormaster). In addition, hidden in the headboard of the captain's bunk is a secret panel. The missing signet ring is inside, along with a rolled note on parchment.

Chimera looks to sunrise
Cyclops looks to sunset
Medusa looks to sunrise
Umber Holk looks to sunset
Basilisk looks to sunrise
After guiding the ship back to the dock and mooring it properly the PCs can deliver the payment to Lady Vanderboren at their leisure. There are no signs of the thugs around the docks, including Vark - the skiff he used to escape must have been rowed to somewhere else in town.

JWallyR
2014-12-18, 09:12 AM
Garrett walks up to Firi'Sar, ring in one hand and parchment in the other. Found this behind a panel in the cap'n's quarters. Note looks a lot like instructions on how to get past a secret lock. 'N any case, looks like we got what we came for, he says, as Simon walks up with the open trunk containing the platinum pieces. 'M sure our patroness will be interested in Vark settin' her boat on fire at the first sign of trouble.

MuffinMan
2014-12-18, 10:17 AM
Simon's eyes bulge a bit as he sets the chest down with a dramatic thunk. "Aye, judging by weight this here's every piece o' platinum in the whole district! What's that?" he scans the note Garrett is holding for a minute before shrugging dismissively. "I guess we should be getting back and getting paid. Think the lady'll be mad we squashed her pet bug?" he grins.

Untarr
2014-12-18, 10:25 AM
Lily squats down and puts her face right up to Horace's, a prime licking height. Giggling as his tongue laps over her, she continues to pet him.

"No, I don't think so. Plus, we have to think of Horace. He was all alone!" Turning to the wolf.

"Yes you were! But we're here now."

Continuing to play with the wolf, Lily continues her conversation with Edgar.

"It has actually been a huge headache. It just started happening a week ago. I'm still learning what is going on. While it is useful, sometimes...sometimes I wish I was back to normal."

She pauses as the Blue Nixie comes into view.

"Looks like its time for us to go talk to...to...what was her name again? I forgot!"

12StoryCondo
2014-12-18, 01:49 PM
"Ms. Vanderboren. If you forget while talking to her, just calling her Lady will probably work." they row up alongside the Nixie. "And don't worry too much about being who you were. Change is inevitable, it's how you handle it that makes you who you are."

Edgar cups his hands around his mouth and calls at the ship "We're back! A little help hoisting this thing back up?" He turns to Lily, "I wonder if Vanderboren will be irked if I free all those critters from their cages... "

Farmerbink
2014-12-18, 02:49 PM
Firi'sar throws a line to the the pair in the lifeboat, and helps haul it up and secure it in its previous place.

knowledge local: Do the Vanderboren's have any interest in exotic pets? [roll0] +[roll1]? KL

"I wonder if Vanderboren will be irked if I free all those critters from their cages... "

Almost certainly not. To my knowledge, the Vanderborens are not involved in the trade of exotic pets, at least not openly. My suspicion is that these animals were all meant to be smuggled in. At best, it's likely that they were being framed. Perhaps, more likely, that Vark thought he'd make a little money on the side. That said, I wonder if freeing exotic animals in an unfamiliar locale is really the best way to take care of them. Ironically, it may be better to find potential owners anyway... After all, fortune favor's the... uhh... good guys?

That is to say, I doubt she will be upset to hear that we killed some vicious predator bug that was illegally being stored on her ship and put out the fires intended to sink it. I have a suggestion, however. We should stay here, on the ship, until morning. Once the sun rises, it's less likely that unsavory times will let themselves on board, and we can go inform Miss Vanderboren of the evening's success when the ship is safer. I suppose Lily and Garret could stay and keep watch, if we must go tell her now...

12StoryCondo
2014-12-18, 07:42 PM
Edgar laughs as his feet hit the deck, "Releasing them in Sasserine is hardly what I had in mind. Finding them an appropriate home is either a great ordeal, or a way for us to make profit in or around the city. You know, if anyone was inclined to go into business after this." He moves toward the stairs to check out the fauna. "I like the idea of just sleeping here tonight, however. Hard for people to get aboard undetected."

Taking any time before we sleep/leave to take critter inventory. I'll just take names of creatures or a hearty "**** off, it's irrelevant" if you (understandably) don't want to write a whole...thing about it.
Nature: [roll0]

MuffinMan
2014-12-18, 08:18 PM
I have a suggestion, however. We should stay here, on the ship, until morning. Once the sun rises, it's less likely that unsavory times will let themselves on board, and we can go inform Miss Vanderboren of the evening's success when the ship is safer.

Simon shrugs. "The elf makes a good point. I'll take last watch!" he claims as he strides out in the direction of the galley, looking for a snack.

JWallyR
2014-12-18, 09:29 PM
Garrett nods at Firi'Sar. Rolling his eyes as Simon strolls casually off, he volunteers, 'll take first, then. Get some rest in the meanwhile, but keep yer weapons close. He readies his longbow and takes a lean against the mast, letting the night breeze wash over him.

For the first watch: [roll0] <-- plus 2 if against humans.

Farmerbink
2014-12-18, 09:45 PM
I suppose I'll take mid watch, then.

Edgar laughs as his feet hit the deck, "Releasing them in Sasserine is hardly what I had in mind. Finding them an appropriate home is either a great ordeal, or a way for us to make profit in or around the city. You know, if anyone was inclined to go into business after this."

Firi'sar joins Edgar belowdecks, and aids in the accounting of the creatures caged therein. I am certainly not one to leave the opportunity for profit untapped. It's hard to maintain a livelihood in this city without something of an entrepreneurial spirit! Besides, I have just a hint of experience in the trade of exotic pets, I've a compsognathus back at my apartment. I'm glad I fed him before I left this afternoon; I didn't really expect to be gone this long, and he's HORRIBLE about eating my... stuff. As he opens the door beneath the stairs, he muses aloud: Hmmm... let's see what we have here..

[roll0] knowledge nature + [roll1]?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-19, 05:49 AM
The group returns the lifeboat to its proper place, spends an uneventful night aboard the Blue Nixie, and then brings the ship back into port in the morning. After mooring the vessel properly they return to the Vanderboren residence with the pouch of platinum coins, ring, and parchment. They are greeted at the door by the halfling woman, Kora, who ushers them into the atrium to wait for Lavinia.

After several minutes the young woman enters, dressed conservatively with a hopeful look on her face. "You have returned! Were you able to recover my payment to the harbormaster? Did Soller Vark give you much trouble? Please, tell me how it all happened!" she says when she sees the PCs.

Untarr
2014-12-19, 07:59 AM
[roll0] - To improve attitude

"Did we? Oh boy did we ever!" Lily exclaims as she twirls around once, head back with a smile. "Taught Vark a lesson he'll never forget. We got your payment, your ring, and your ship back. Though, you'll probably need to hire some people to clean it. Sometimes translating can get messy." Lily smiles genuinely.

"He had all these animals on it. All very odd looking, and one of them ended up being quite dangerous. But it was nothing that we couldn't handle. Because. We. Are. AWESOME!"

12StoryCondo
2014-12-19, 09:22 AM
Edgar places the platinum-laden sack next to Lavinia. "Your recovered payment, Ms. Vanderboren. We did find a fairly diverse collection of creatures in Nixie's hold which we can unload for you if you'd like. The ring was recovered as well, in case your worried that Vark made if with it. He's still alive, by the way, in case that was in question. "

JWallyR
2014-12-19, 09:26 AM
After raising an eyebrow at Lily's description of the events, Garrett clears his throat and speaks, Let me elaborate a bit there. When we arrived, the boat was anchored a bit off from the pier, which wasn't expected. Lily and meself tried to hail Vark and 'is men, but they responded with violence. In protecting ourselves, Vark got roughed up a bit but got away, along with most of 'is men, but not before they tried to set the hold afire. After getting the hold under control, we found that they 'ad a lot of exotic animals in there, and had no more trouble searching for (and finding) your payment to Vark as well as this ring and parchment... He extends them both to Lavinia.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-19, 09:43 AM
As the explanation of the night's events unfolds Lavinia's face grows a bit serious. "I am very pleased that you were all successful. Were there any casualties among Vark's men? We will need to report their deaths to the authorities and make some reparations to their families if there were..." she shakes her head. "There will be enough funds in the vault, so perhaps that should be first. Do either of you have more to add?" she asks, directing her gaze at Simon and Firi'Sar with a slight smile.

JWallyR
2014-12-19, 10:06 AM
Garrett matter-of-factly states, There was one casualty, ma'am. However, he fired upon us while we were in the course of tryin' to hail the ship peaceably, so I'm none too sure that reparations are in order.

Farmerbink
2014-12-19, 11:12 AM
"There will be enough funds in the vault, so perhaps that should be first. Do either of you have more to add?" she asks, directing her gaze at Simon and Firi'Sar with a slight smile.

Firi'sar shakes his head, an amused expression on his face. No ma'am, I believe my more excitable and verbose companions just about covered it. There was a question regarding the creatures in the hold, however. What were you planning to have done with them?

MuffinMan
2014-12-19, 11:13 AM
"Eh, the poor fool was just doing his job, same as us." Simon shrugs. "If it'll bring some peace to his family, I don't see the harm in it. Oh!" he cratches the back of his head, remembering. "There was another guard that bit it in the hold when the big bug got loose - bloody thing grabbed and snapped his neck."

Untarr
2014-12-19, 11:21 AM
"What about the one I cut in half? Did we count that one once, or twice?" Lily looks around her companions while holding up fingers in an effort to count them.

"Lost track. I was never good at fractions..." she says with a shrug.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-19, 01:36 PM
Lavinia pales a bit at the description of the two men's deaths. "The Vanderboren family will pay reparations to both their families. This...bug...is dead too? The other creatures will need to be properly handled - I will hire someone for that express purpose. For all of you I have another job in mind. But first, to your payment!" she says, ushering the PCs into the dining room again.

"I do not know all of the details, but my parents' vault is unlikely to be undefended. For me to pay you all we must retrieve what they have stored there. Let us go to Castle Teraknian and see to it that you all receive your coin. Wait here a moment, please. I will return in a moment." She takes the ring and parchment in hand and steps out, returning a couple of minutes later wearing a light jacket and carrying a hat befitting a lady. "Shall we go?"

Exiting the house she leaves Kora behind and hires a coach to take them to the castle. As they ride she continues to speak. "I would like to hire you all on a more permanent basis. You handled everything at the docks so quickly. There are some real advantages to being an attache to a noblewoman, not the least of which is the monthly stipend. How does 100 golden orbs sound?"

JWallyR
2014-12-19, 02:00 PM
Garrett's eyes widen slightly, and he looks at the ceiling for a moment. I don't know about the rest of this lot, but I would have to take such an offer very seriously. One thing I might ask... if you're prepared to take us on, what do you think about giving a bit upfront so's we can properly equip ourselves? 'd be a poor investment to get us on and then we find 'selves without the tools for the job.

I don't know if you're going to want a diplomacy check, so here it is: [roll0]

For Sense Motive purposes: Garrett is completely serious. Obviously he stands to gain from such a request, though.

Untarr
2014-12-19, 02:14 PM
"OH! That would be absolutely incredible. I was wandering what I would do for work, and if you are offering, then I am willing!" Lily grows quiet and stares at her makeshift armor, still stained with blood.

"He's right! We can't work for a noblewoman looking like some beggars from the street. I mean, last night my tunic was destroyed and now I'm running around in this rusty old thing I got second hand. I would LOVE the chance to get something more suited to being a noble's guard!"

[roll0]

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-19, 04:04 PM
"We can consider an advance on your first month's pay after we open the vault. I have overheard other nobles describing the security in the vaults of Castle Teraknian as rather eclectic. Mother and Father were both adventurers who had traveled the world, so I suspect they found a way to secure our family's treasures well. Either with some traps, or a puzzle, or perhaps a clockwork construct of some kind. Either way, we will have you all paid shortly!" Lady Vanderboren says with confidence as they get closer to the castle grounds.

The party goes inside, through several guard posts and eventually Lavinia speaks to a clerk at a desk, shows him her signet ring, and is directed to a stairway leading into the depths of the keep. Several minutes of walking and following the directions of another guard they reach the door to the Vanderboren vaults. The door is unlocked, opening into a short passageway that ends in a solid looking iron door. The portal is emblazoned with a simple rune - an eight-pointed star. Above the door, inscribed in flowing script on a polished silver plaque is the name family name. A single handle protrudes from the door, just below a circular depression bearing the mark of the Vanderboren signet.

The eight-pointed star symbol is the same as one found on a building on the western edge of the Merchant's District known as the Seeker's Lodge.
As Lavinia inserts her signet ring into the depression a brief flash of blue light washes over the door and it opens smoothly on creaking hinges. The floor of the next room is of green polished marble which in some places reflects the domed chamber ceiling. Two 15-ft wide alcoves have lower ceilings and feature marble pillars carved to resemble coiling snakes. In the center of the room, five similar pillars are embedded into the walls, rising up thirty feet to the dome overhead. Looking up the dome bears a huge representation of the same eight-pointed star that as engraved on the door at the entrance.

Farmerbink
2014-12-19, 05:01 PM
[roll0] + [roll1] = 21!
Firi'sar whistles lowly at the image of the star on the door. Your parents were part of the seekers, eh? Well that makes things interesting. This should be exciting, to say the least.

Farmerbink
2014-12-19, 05:06 PM
Firi'sar steps into the room on Lavinia's heels. If you don't object, I'd like to thoroughly inspect this room before we go much further; it strikes me as exceptionally foolish to assume that everything is as it appears in here. Garret, Edgar, would you two care to give me a hand?

Assuming no objections, I'd like to either take 20 on perception (possibly including aid anothers?) for 24+ (25 for traps), unless someone else has a higher modifier.
If that's out of the question (D:):[roll0] + [roll1] = perception
If relevant, either way, [roll2] + [roll3] disable device

12StoryCondo
2014-12-19, 08:27 PM
"I'll take the lead on this one, Firi'Sar. I've developed a pretty good eye from trapping over the years." He begins inspecting the surroundings closely, Horace at his heels sniffing the air; It's a familiar drill to them both.

If there's time to take 20, I've got a 26. If not: [roll0] + other stuff if anyone wants to add to it

JWallyR
2014-12-19, 10:12 PM
Garrett nods at Firi'Sar, looking into the vault with a suspicious look.

Perception: [roll0] <-- no favored enemy or anything
Survival (if applicable to find traces of previous passers-by?): [roll1] <-- counts ranger shenanigans but not fav. enemy

Untarr
2014-12-20, 09:03 AM
Lily stands back with Lady Vanderboren.

Five Pillars. Might have something to do with this:

Chimera looks to sunrise
Cyclops looks to sunset
Medusa looks to sunrise

Pulling out her greatsword, she rests the flat of the blade on her hand.

"I'll just let them handle this. They seem to be awfully good at finding things."

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-20, 09:26 AM
As the party begins to move into the vault the rustling of metal against metal can be heard from the two alcoves. The keen attention of the PCs prevents anyone from being surprised as two large cobras made of dull grey metal come slithering around the pillars and move to attack!

These are Iron Cobras (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/ironCobra.html#iron-cobra), constructs (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/monsters/creatureTypes.html#construct) capable of complex directions that are often used as sentries or guards.
Roll initiative and give me your first round actions. The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit#gid=1987084421) is updated.

[roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-12-20, 09:49 AM
Round 1

Lily, Garret! Something for you to play with, up here!

AC 18, Touch 14, Flat-footed 14, CMD 13, Fort +1, Ref +5, Will +2, CMB +0, Base Attack Bonus 0
Condition Inspiration: 3/4, Reduce person: 1 min

initiative + [roll1]?
5-foot step to M11

move action to draw bow
standard action to shoot at IC1
[roll2] +[roll3]?
[roll[1d20+3 (23, x3) guess I didn't need it anyway.
[roll4] damages

Untarr
2014-12-20, 10:13 AM
Round 1

"OO! My turn!" Lily says as she rushes forward, greatsword drawn.

[roll0] Initiative

Close Distance with IC1
Attack
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Cleave (If possible)
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

F NG Human Bloodrager, Level 1, Init +1, HP 8/13, DR -, Speed 40
AC 17, Touch 11, Flat-footed 16, CMD 16, Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +2, CMB +5, Base Attack Bonus 1
Four Mirror (+6 Armor, +1 Dex)
Condition None

MuffinMan
2014-12-20, 02:22 PM
Round 1

"What the- this some kinda trick??" Simon scowls back at lady Vanderboren before hefting his club and rushing at the nearest cobra!

Initiative [roll0]

Move to the nearest cobra and attack, preferring IC1 if both are possible (and getting as far north as possible to set up potential flanks next round).

Power Attack [roll1]
CC [roll2]
Dmg [roll3]

AoO if applicable:
Power Attack [roll4]
CC [roll5]
Dmg [roll6]

For status, I've given Simon back 2 HPs from the night of rest, putting him at 10/13.
M N Human Brawler, Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/13, Speed 30
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None

JWallyR
2014-12-20, 03:52 PM
Garrett looks at the metallic snakes with narrowed eyes. Nocking an arrow to the string, he looks for an angle..

Move up to something like M10 to avoid issues with cover; if friendly melee don't completely block in at least 1 snake, put his back to a pillar instead.

Attack: [roll1] 5 dex + BAB, 1 PBS
CC: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

AoO with Cestus, if applicable:
Attack: [roll4]
CC: [roll5]
Damage: [roll6]

Condition None

12StoryCondo
2014-12-20, 07:13 PM
Round 1

"Horace, right side, on flank. ". Edgar waits for the wolf to get into position before moving in for the attack.

Handle animal for flank trick: [roll1] (DC10)
If Horace somehow fails to execute the trick and just attacks, I'll move to flank. Otherwise, Edgar to O10 (or closest unoccupied square, and Horace to Q10 and both attack.
EdgAtk: [roll2] for [roll3] damage
EdgCC: [roll4] x3

HoAtk: [roll5] for [roll6] damage.
HoCC: [roll7] x2

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-21, 07:28 AM
Round 1

The PCs all move to engage the metal snakes, though the only one who connects is Lily. Her blow looks to be blunted by the metal skin of the creature, however. Both snakes try to strike (Lily and Edgar), but miss.

Firi'Sar takes a 5-ft step to M11, draws his bow, and misses IC1
Edgar and Horace move to O10 and Q10 and then both miss IC2
Lily moves to K10 and hits IC1 for 12 damage, -5 from damage reduction
Simon moves to I10 and misses IC1
Garrett moves to M10 and misses IC1
Iron Cobra 1 attacks Lily AC 17
Bite [roll0] attack, [roll1] (20/x2), [roll2] + Poison (Fortitude DC 11, [roll3] Con damage for 6 rounds) (miss)
Iron Cobra 2 attacks Edgar AC 15
Bite [roll4] attack, [roll5] (20/x2), [roll6] + Poison (Fortitude DC 11, [roll7] Con damage for 6 rounds) (miss)
Lavinia moves to M12
The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit#gid=1987084421) is updated.

JWallyR
2014-12-21, 11:26 AM
Round 2

Noting the sound of Lily's blow against the snake, Garrett turns to fire another arrow at the damaged construct.

No move unless required to avoid cover.

Damage: [roll2]

Condition None

Farmerbink
2014-12-21, 11:56 AM
Round 2

Shock mars his features, as Firi'sar's first shot careens of the construct's scales. That- I missed? Err... Get him, Lily!

Cestus +0 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Condition Inspiration: 4/4, Reduce person: 1 min

Sheathe the bow- move action
Stay near the back, and ready an action to fight defensively, if either of the constructs approaches Miss Vanderboren.

[roll0] (lol)
[roll1] CC(even more lol)
[roll2] damage

MuffinMan
2014-12-21, 01:25 PM
Round 2

Simon growls in frustration as the snake evades his blow. Stepping forward, he tries again!

Move up to I9 (or wherever the snake is by Simon's turn) and attack:

Power Atk [roll0] (not including any flanking)
CC [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

AoO if applicable:
Power Atk [roll3]
CC [roll4]
Dmg [roll5]

M N Human Brawler, Level 1, Init +2, HP 10/13, Speed 30
Club +5 (1d6+4, x2)
Condition None

12StoryCondo
2014-12-21, 03:59 PM
"Back down, Horace and stay with me! You'll break your teeth on these things; They aren't normal snakes. "

Handle Horace twice to perform Down ([roll0]) and Heel([roll1]) @ DC 10 and free action for each.
Shield bash the snake and step back from it:
Bash: [roll2]
BashCC (x2): [roll3]
Dmg: [roll4] Bludgeoning

Move to N11 with Horace at N12.

Untarr
2014-12-21, 06:23 PM
Round 2

"I think I," Blue flames erupt from her eyes, "GOT THIS."

Lily takes another swing at the construct.

Free: Rage
Standard: Attack
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Move: 5 ft. Step to (L,9)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-22, 11:58 AM
Round 2

As the party pulls back from the snakes Lily makes an impressive blow, literally breaking the construct in front of her. Emboldened by her success Simon dashes to IC2 where he and the snake both miss each other.

Firi'Sar sheaths bow and fights defensively
Edgar misses IC2 with his shield before taking a 5-ft step to N11
Horace heels and withdraws to N12
Lily destroys IC1 and 5-ft steps to L9
Simon moves to O9 and misses IC2
Garrett misses IC2
Iron Cobra 2 attacks Simon AC 17
Bite [roll0] attack, [roll1] (20/x2), [roll2] damage + Poison (Fortitude DC 11, [roll3] Con damage for 6 rounds) (miss)
Lavinia takes a full defense action
The map (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1iP88dAMFQ6ES3cEWLxXtkz-fllwlZOHuH2prGNDQzOU/edit#gid=1987084421) is updated.

JWallyR
2014-12-22, 12:05 PM
Round 3

Eyes widened from the dismantling of the snake by Lily,Garrett turns and readies another shot at the remaining cobra..

Dmg: [roll2]

Longbow (Arrows (56)) Ranged (1d8, x3)
Condition None

Untarr
2014-12-22, 12:31 PM
Round 3

Simon. MOVE!

Barely waiting a moment for him to step out of the way, Lily charges forward at the other snake.

Delay for Simon to move out of the way.

Full Round Action: Charge
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Need ya to move buddy. (O,10) aught to do it.

MuffinMan
2014-12-22, 03:58 PM
Round 3

This kid is crazy! Simon thinks to himself as he sidesteps to clear a path for Lily. He aims another blow at the cobra in front of him. How the heck is she swinging that thing, anyway??

5ft step to O10 and attack:
Power atk [roll0]
Cc [roll1]
Dmg [roll2]

Can't link status from phone, but it's unchanged from last round.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-22, 07:09 PM
Round 3

"Hang back, Horace. I guess we'll just let her do her-"Simon. MOVE!"-thing."

Cast Detect Poison on the cobra.
Wisdon DC20 to identify it as well: [roll0]

Farmerbink
2014-12-23, 10:27 AM
Round 3

Firi'sar watches Lily dismember the snakes with a look of profound awe.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-23, 06:03 PM
Round 3

The company watches in awe as Lily charges and repeats her destructive blow on the remaining metal snake, causing it to break into several obvious gears and springs and remaining immobile.

Firi'Sar watch the scene develop
Edgar detects poison in IC2
Horace stays
Lily delays her action till after Simon moves
Simon 5-ft steps to O10 and misses IC2
Lily charges and destroys the remaining Iron Cobra
-------------

The northernmost pillar recessed into the chamber's wall appears to be different from the other pillars. As you all look closely a hidden switch is found that causes the snake designs to animate. They writh aside like living creatures, forming a coiling archway into the next area.

This octagonal room is supported by a single large pillar with dozens of deep grooves along its sides. The seven walls of this room each bear fantastically detailed bas-relief carvings of exotic monsters in threatening poses. Starting at the wall immediately to the west of the entrance and moving clockwise, the carvings depict a tentacled monster with a glaring red eye and a mouth full of teeth, a looming dragon, a fish-like creature with three eyes and four tentacles, a two-headed giant wielding a pair of immense clubs, a spherical creature with four eyestalks and a bulging central eye over a drooling maw, a gorilla-like beast with a fanged maw and six eyes, and finally a towering black spider with seven eyes. Each monster's eyes consist of a glittering red stone. The ceiling above is only ten feet high, with the now-familiar eight-pointed star pattern radiating out from the grooved pillar. The arms of this star are black, save for the one pointing south toward the entrance, which is red.

Untarr
2014-12-23, 06:41 PM
Eyes returning to normal, Lily surveys the now dead constructs while restrapping the blade to her back.

"WOO! Yeah! Did you see that?!" Doing her best to imitate her previous sword swings, without the sword, Lily continues in obvious excitement. "I was like WOOSH! and then that snake was like Blarge I'm dead and then I was like SIMON MOVE, with the creepy voice, and then WHAM-O! Second snake down. Pretty awesome right? YEAH!"

Lily finishes while holding her hand towards Simon, palm forward, fingers up, looking at him expectantly.

JWallyR
2014-12-23, 06:46 PM
Garrett looks at the carvings, then to Lavinia. What's that scroll say again?

MuffinMan
2014-12-23, 06:50 PM
Simon leans back slightly and eye's the girl's hand warily, unsure what to make of it. In the end he decides to ignore it. "Hmmph, not bad." he allows as he kicks a gear across the floor. "Hey miss, ain't this supposed to be your vault? Maybe turn these things off next time?" He punctuates his complaint with another kick at the wreckage of the second cobra.

The northernmost pillar recessed into the chamber's wall appears to be different from the other pillars. As you all look closely a hidden switch is found that causes the snake designs to animate. They writh aside like living creatures, forming a coiling archway into the next area.

Simon jumps back and raises his club as the northern pillar starts writhing with snakes, and only lowers it halfway when they fail to attack. "screwy place to keep anything if you ask me..." he mutters as they make their way into the next room. "Don't tell me," he says flatly as they survey the ominous bas-relief sculptures. "Pictures of your childhood pets?"

Untarr
2014-12-23, 06:53 PM
Staring at her hand for a moment as Simon moves on, Lily gets a sour look on her face and lets it fall. She sulks into the next room. "What a jerk..."

Farmerbink
2014-12-23, 07:58 PM
Firi'sar looks around the room in obvious wonder. I do hope the architect didn't paint these images as previews....

He reviews the images briefly once more before commenting: Interesting... each wall adds an eye. That must be significant, but I couldn't say exactly how... Let's look here. Continuing to scan the room, distrustful of the images, he approaches the central pillar, to inspect it.

[roll0] + [roll1]? = 20

edit: 3/4 inspiration points remaining

12StoryCondo
2014-12-24, 01:59 AM
Edgar carefully looks around for some kind of mechanism to operate in the room as Firi'Sar is inspecting the walls. "Is there supposed to be something in here, Ms. Vanderboren? I assume this isn't the vault proper, given it's relatively empty state."

Perception to find mechanisms or doors if they're hidden: [roll0]
Nature if it helps identify any information about the creatures in the carvings: [roll1]

Untarr
2014-12-24, 08:30 AM
"I don't know what these are, or how to make them 'look'. Like, their eyes are stuck on the wall!" she says this as she walks up to the "spherical creature with four eyestalks and a bulging central eye over a drooling maw". "Maybe you could just..." she reaches up to pull the eye out of the wall.

We need to identify the creatures (gogo gadget Firi'sar). Then, more than likely, move their "eyes" to the proper side of the central pillar so that they look out from it towards either sunrise or sunset. South is marked by the 8-pointed star.

@Rob Thanks for putting the first puzzle in this game when I'm playing a 8 INT blond and not in AoWs with my 20int wizard... (sarcasm btw)

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-24, 08:36 AM
Lavinia Vanderboren, who has been silently studying the vault with wide eyes, turns as she is addressed by the various PCs. "The note? Um, one moment...ah, here it is!

Chimera looks to sunrise
Cyclops looks to sunset
Medusa looks to sunrise
Do you think this means something? As for the vault, I have never been here before. The snakes, the images on the walls, and the funds are all new to me. I am sorry for the guardians attacking you - do you think I should have gone in first, let them see the signet ring or something?"

While searching the new space the party finds that grooved central pillar rotates. As it turns the red upper arrow also moves, pointing at the various monster portraits with an audible click in turn.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-24, 08:37 AM
The gem eyes appear to be garnets, worth no more than 5-20 gold orbs each. While they could be pried out, they do not move easily.

Untarr
2014-12-24, 08:54 AM
Lily continues to try to pull off the red gemstones.

Its Permutation Lock. Rotate it so that, in order, each monster faces its respective "sunrise" (east) or "sunset" (west). There is no way in hell Lily would figure this out.

Edit: The creatures on the walls do not match the creatures on the scroll, though Rob tells me rotating the pillar in a correct permutation will work.

Edit Edit: I think its the number of eyes of each creature on the wall corresponding to the number of eyes of each creature on the scroll.

Though, that doesn't work out, as each creature on the scroll does not have a unique number of eyes. It might also have to do with the number of limbs total.

Chimera - 6 Eyes
Cyclops - 1 Eye
Medusa - Eyes with tentacles???
Umber Hulk - 2 eyes
Basilisk - 8 legs (spider)

@Rob: Lily should fail pulling them out. That sentence is for fluff.

Farmerbink
2014-12-24, 11:16 AM
As his companions wonder aloud and read the note again, Firi'sar stands in the center of the room, listening carefully.

Hmmmm... Chimera.... Cyclops... Medusa... Umber... what?... Basilisk... Firi'sar looks around the room, trying to place connections between the listed creatures and the images inscribed on the wall.

Well, clearly, none of those things directly correspond to these images, but... I still have to think that the number of eyes is relevant. Chimera have three heads, yes? So six eyes there, the cyclops obviously has one.. The Medusa... They cannot possibly be concerned with her snake hair, there are only 7 walls, so we need to count her as two. Now what in the 9 hells is an.. umber hulk? And doesn't a basilisk just have two eyes, also? Perhaps the basilisk refers to the legs? Wait. We got that note off of the thugs on the ship, right? So perhaps their information wasn't perfectly accurate, or just intended as a reminder. Besides, the spider on the wall only has 7 eyes, so we can assume, I think, that the basilisk corresponds there. That only leaves the umber hulk... thing...

And surely this arrow represents the compass rose of a map, right? So the red arrow points north, so these different creatures have to be at east and west, correspondingly. So.... Let's move it!

[roll0] + [roll1] history (lol)
and [roll2] + [roll3] local....
Don't have any others yet... yay, level 1!

Umber hulks have 4 eyes, not two. Though, it's questionable whether or not Firi'sar would have a reason to know that. I kind of hope not- it's not easy to survive such an encounter at first level.

Farmerbink
2014-12-24, 11:27 AM
Without waiting for confirmation from his companions, Firi'sar turns the column so that the red arrow points at the two-headed giant (placing the 6-eyed ape thing two spaces to the right).

Hmmmm, the cyclops faces sunset... Do I go straight there, or around the circle? While he muses to himself, he turns the dial one space to the left (putting the roper (?) two spaces to the left of the arrow).

He then turns the arrow so that it aims at the entrance to this room (putting the dragon two spaces to the right). Medusa faces sunrise...

So, it's not six, one, two, or seven.... Maybe it's similar to that ettin-creature... Sunset, so to the west. He turns the arrow to point at the ape.

And finally... Basilisk... Er, spider to sunrise. Lastly, one click to the left puts the spider two spaces to the right of the arrow.

JWallyR
2014-12-24, 11:33 AM
Looking clearly out of his element, Garrett puts his back to the pillar until noticing it move! He jumps halfway between the pillar and the wall, aiming his bow first at the pillar, and then at each of the carvings in turn..

Farmerbink
2014-12-24, 12:10 PM
As the seconds tick by, Firi'sar standing by the pillar, his expression turns from expectation to annoyance. Well, hell. I thought that would do it. Hmmm... As he stands there, wondering, his hands move without his intention. He pulls out his pipe, and lights it, taking a few puffs has he taps his foot, lost in thought. After a few moments, he begins pacing the room, gazing absently at the frescoes on the walls- a thin thread of pipe smoke emanating from his bowl.

After a few minutes, his eyes light up with realization. Oh! Perhaps I misinterpreted the reference of sunrise and sunset! That doesn't imply directions from north, it implies directions to turn! He marches back to the pillar, purpose evident in his step.

Chimera looks to sunrise. He turns the column clockwise until the arrow points at the ape.

Cyclops looks to sunset. He turns the column counter-clockwise until the arrow points at the tentacled monster.

Medusa looks to sunrise. He turns the column clockwise one space, to the dragon.

Umber hulk looks to sunset. He turns the column counter-clockwise to the ettin.

Finally, basilisk looks to sunrise. He turns the column clockwise to the spider.

MuffinMan
2014-12-24, 12:55 PM
Simon looks on dubiously with arms crossed, tapping his foot. "Even if that note does have to do with this place, which I ain't sure I believe, what the heck was Vark doing with it in the first place?"

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-25, 03:09 AM
The note was hidden with the signet ring in the headboard of the bed in the captain's quarters. It did not appear that the thugs knew it was there.

Fix's efforts continue to prove fruitless, though as she watches and listens Lavinia says, "I think I understood what you were doing until the last turn, Mr. Firi'Sar. Why did you go to the spider - it has seven eyes and the basilisk has two...?"

Farmerbink
2014-12-25, 10:45 AM
Blast it all! Firi'sar cries out as nothing happens in response to his efforts.

As she watches and listens Lavinia says, "I think I understood what you were doing until the last turn, Mr. Firi'Sar. Why did you go to the spider - it has seven eyes and the basilisk has two...?"

In his frustration, he doesn't even turn to face the woman. Because we've already used the dragon. Unless the medusa has more eyes than two... Errr... Is there a reason it can't use the same image more than once? he wonders aloud. Well, we're not getting anywhere at this rate.

He begins manipulating the column again, but on the last turn, turns it back to the dragon, muttering as he does so. It better not be meaningful that I'm pointing this thing at a dragon twice...

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-25, 11:12 AM
The entire room begins to rumble rather dramatically as the final turn of the pillar ends, with all five alcoves rotating in place and revealing several coffers and chests. There are a total of twenty chests in the vault, but as Lady Vanderboren directs the PCs to open them it is revealed that most are empty. As chest after chest is opened the young noblewoman grows more anxious, he face first getting pale and then drawn and stressed. Right before it looks like she would have begun to weep the PCs reach the last alcove where several of the chests remain untouched. There must be several thousand gold orbs in the chests in this alcove, along with large numbers of ledgers and a small iron coffer containing a thick pile of documents.

Seeing the vault is not completely drained Lavinia says, quietly, "Pull several of those empty chests over here, please," pointing at a spot on the floor near the full chests, "and help me read over the ledgers here. This may take us some time. If you don't have a good head for numbers or reading a ledger, please keep watch at the entrance - it is quite obvious that I am not the first person to come to the vault recently, and I would like to not be interrupted as we take inventory of my family's remaining funds..." As the PCs split the tasks between them it becomes clear that most of the ledgers are of debts owed to the Vanderboren family from local guilds and noble families. Apparently the late Lord and Lady Vanderboren did dangerous favors in exchange for "IOU"s rather frequently. With Firi'Sar's aid Lavinia counts the golden coins, finding nearly 3,000 coins in all. She takes the time to separate five pouches into which she counts 250 golden orbs each.

"These are for each of you," she says, handing out a bag to each of the PCs. "Inside is your payment for last night's job and today's work, as well as a 50 coin advance on your future services. I am quite distressed by the missing funds, but for now I should have enough to pay off the remaining debts and get our finances in order." She shakes her head, frustration and worry plain on her face.

Turning back to the iron coffer she opens it to find a book. Opening it she finds dozens and dozens of pages of notes and drawings of fantastic creatures and maps of a jungle-infested island. The letters are elven in nature, but they are arranged in a different language (Sylvan). Looking a bit puzzled, she asks, "Can anyone read this?"

JWallyR
2014-12-25, 11:58 AM
Garrett watches Lavinia with a piercing gaze that softens as she reacts to the empty chests. He turns to watch the door after taking a quick look at the floor of the chamber, looking for evidence of recent passers-by.

Survival: [roll0]

After accepting his bag of gold, he reaches out to take the the book, peering at the letters in evident confusion. Take a look, these look like your peoples' writing. he says, handing the book to Firi'Sar.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-25, 04:43 PM
Edgar ties the pouch to his belt alongside his regular wallet as some of the papers catch his eye. "How much money does your family have in these IOUs Lav- Ms. Vanderboren? It looks like quite a sum. And these creatures are..." His eyes light up, "They're fascinating."

Farmerbink
2014-12-25, 05:36 PM
Turning back to the iron coffer she opens it to find a book. Opening it she finds dozens and dozens of pages of notes and drawings of fantastic creatures and maps of a jungle-infested island. The letters are elven in nature, but they are arranged in a different language (Sylvan). Looking a bit puzzled, she asks, "Can anyone read this?"

As the book gets passed among the group, Firi'sar steps in front of Edgar and reaches for the book.

"And these creatures are..." His eyes light up, "They're fascinating."

Firi'sar smiles, nodding gently. They are, indeed. It seems your parents were more adventuresome than they appeared, Miss Vanderboren. And, in fact, I can read this. As you mentioned, the letters are elven, and as Garret mentioned, it looks quite a bit like 'my people's writing.' He gives the man an amused look before continuing.

It is written in Sylvan, a kind of... unrefined sort of Elven. Commonly spoken among some of the even deeper fey than most people ever see. I happen to be an amateur linguist, and have studied it, in the past. Now let's see...

He begins to read aloud, slowly translating into common, for the benefit of his companions.

MuffinMan
2014-12-25, 06:26 PM
It is written in Sylvan, a kind of... unrefined sort of Elven. Commonly spoken among some of the even deeper fey than most people ever see. I happen to be an amateur linguist, and have studied it, in the past. Now let's see...

He begins to read aloud, slowly translating into common, for the benefit of his companions.
Simon looks up with interest from double-counting his coins as Firi'Sar begins to speak.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-26, 01:49 AM
Survival
Garrett finds nothing on the floor to help him track anyone that might have entered the vault before Lavinia's company. There are too many scuff marks from the combat earlier to tell one set from another on the hard tile surface.

Fix begins to read, finding that the book is the personal diary of Lavinia's mother, Larissa Vanderboren, and catalogs her exploration of the famous Isle of Dread. The book is too large to sit and read at this time, and Lavinia says, "Excellent! Your talents will come in handy, Mr. Firi'Sar. For now let's take the fruits of today's labor back to the manor. I will need to spend some time calling in the debts owed and settle accounts before I can really move forward with the family's finances. We have found enough to make things work for now, but this is vastly less than I expected. Taking a count of all the IOUs will be the work of least a couple of days in itself..."

The company collects the chests, cleans up the remains of the iron cobras, and begins to make their way back to the surface. As they pass the clerk who gave them directions before Lady Vanderboren stops and asks him, "Has anyone else been by to look at the Vanderboren Vault in the last several weeks?"

The spectacled man looks up at Lavinia and smiles, answering, "Why, yes, m'lady. Your brother, Vanthus was her several times over the last month. Why do you ask?"

"Because he has been missing for several weeks," Lavinia answers, her face drawn and tight. Seeing the clerk's shocked expression she continues, "Please inform me if he should return again. He and I apparently have much to discuss." As she turns and walks briskly to the waiting coach it is plain that she is trying very hard to remain in control of herself in spite of powerful emotions assaulting her.

Farmerbink
2014-12-26, 10:57 AM
Firi'sar walks quietly back to the coach, lost in thought.

JWallyR
2014-12-26, 01:15 PM
Garrett gives Lavinia a sidelong look, trying to gauge her emotional state, but saying nothing as the party advances to the coach.

Modifier is +4. Looking for an idea of the specific emotion being suppressed by Lavinia.

MuffinMan
2014-12-26, 04:34 PM
Sounds like the brother cleaned her out... Simon thinks as he carries a heavy chest back to the carriage. Out loud he says, "Calling in "debts owed" is something of a specialty of mine. I guess now I'm workin' for ya, so just say who, where, and how much."

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-27, 07:00 AM
Garrett gives Lavinia a sidelong look, trying to gauge her emotional state, but saying nothing as the party advances to the coach.

Modifier is +4. Looking for an idea of the specific emotion being suppressed by Lavinia.
Lavinia looks upset in a very complex way. There is clearly some history between her and her brother. (She will expound upon that soon.)

Farmerbink
2014-12-27, 09:35 AM
Firi'sar comes out of his foggy reverie long enough to ask a few questions of their patroness. Excuse me, Miss Vanderboren. I have some questions that... demand my attention. Had you ever been to this vault before, and if so, were those snake constructs present before? They seem like quite the effective deterrent, but appeared to have no qualms with destroying their rightful owner. Unusual, to say the least.

He listens patiently to her answer before adding another question.

So... what's the story with your brother? Seems... relevant, at this juncture.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-27, 03:23 PM
"...As for the vault, I have never been here before. The snakes, the images on the walls, and the funds are all new to me. I am sorry for the guardians attacking you - do you think I should have gone in first, let them see the signet ring or something?
The iron cobras never attacked Lavinia - had combat lasted longer they would have noticed the snakes avoiding her. Had she presented the signet ring they would have gone inert immediately. This is what her brother did when he visited the vault.
Lavinia turns to Fix and quietly says, "We were both quite close when we were very young, plying pranks and getting in trouble together often. After one such prank that went spectacularly well from our point of view we were separated for several years. I went to a finishing school while he went to oversee some family land outside of Sasserine and learn how to be more responsible. When we both came back to the manor a year ago he had...changed. It didn't take long before he had moved out of the house, spending time with some of the worst types in town."

Everyone settles into the coach as she continues her story, her eyes haunted. "Mum and Dad died in a ship fire a little more than a month ago. When he came back to the house we fought and fought and fought. Then one night he hit me. For a moment something in his eyes shifted, but then he was back to his ugly, new self. I haven't seen him since."

After finishing the ride back to the manor in silence she turns to address the party. "Your next task for me will not be to call in debts. These IOUs will be sufficient I believe for that. Instead I want you to find my brother. I think he can still be turned back to good, but to do so I need to find him. The last I heard he was living with a woman in the Azure District. It may be nothing more than a rumor, but it is the best lead I can provide you. Find him, and then return to me, please."

Farmerbink
2014-12-27, 06:11 PM
Your next task for me will not be to call in debts. These IOUs will be sufficient I believe for that. Instead I want you to find my brother. I think he can still be turned back to good, but to do so I need to find him. The last I heard he was living with a woman in the Azure District. It may be nothing more than a rumor, but it is the best lead I can provide you. Find him, and then return to me, please."

Firi'sar nods as she gives their instructions. That's exactly what I thought you might say. He breathes deeply, exhaling through his nose. Well, I'm not unfamiliar with the Azure district. I cannot imagine he will be that difficult to find, but I'm guessing you want us to do more than simply locate him, yes? Or do we simply report his new address to you?

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-28, 02:01 AM
"He is a nobleman - if you find him, treat him with respect as he is due and then tell me where you found him so I may confront him properly," Lavinia replies, patiently.

Farmerbink
2014-12-28, 10:58 AM
Very well. The horses whinny as the coach lurches to a stop. Firi'sar looks around the group assembled therein. He waits for Liliana to setp out before following quickly. Once they are all out on the grounds before the Vanderboren estate, he looks up to the sky to judge time of day. It's still early, and information always flows faster off a lubricated tongue. Perhaps we can attend to him this evening? For now, I think we should pool our resources for a wand of restorative magic.

MuffinMan
2014-12-28, 11:55 AM
Simon stands apart from the others as they discuss preparations to leave, hefting the coin bag in his hand and staring off into the distance. Finally he shakes his head and speaks to the group. "I'm out. I want no part of this intrigue, and neither will you if you got any sense. Them nobles is all the same," he turns his head and spits, "she says it was her brother hit her, and I bet all the coin in this pouch when we find him he'll swear the opposite. These kinda games can get a man killed. Like how she conveniently forgot to mention that beast belowdecks, or didn't know about them cobras in the vault." He growls and squeezes his fists until the knuckles pop. He walks a few paces towards the gate, then turns around. "Yeah, the money's good now, but you saw what we pulled outa there - next to nothing compared to those debts she's talkin about. I'm cashing out while I'm ahead, and unless you want to start getting paid in IOUs soon yourselves, I suggest you do the same. Be seein ya." Without another word he leaves through the gate and starts stalking back to his home in the Azure district.

Farmerbink
2014-12-28, 12:14 PM
Simon stands apart from the others as they discuss preparations to leave, hefting the coin bag in his hand and staring off into the distance. Finally he shakes his head and speaks to the group. "I'm out. I want no part of this intrigue, and neither will you if you got any sense. Them nobles is all the same," he turns his head and spits, "she says it was her brother hit her, and I bet all the coin in this pouch when we find him he'll swear the opposite. These kinda games can get a man killed. Like how she conveniently forgot to mention that beast belowdecks, or didn't know about them cobras in the vault." He growls and squeezes his fists until the knuckles pop. He walks a few paces towards the gate, then turns around. "Yeah, the money's good now, but you saw what we pulled outa there - next to nothing compared to those debts she's talkin about. I'm cashing out while I'm ahead, and unless you want to start getting paid in IOUs soon yourselves, I suggest you do the same. Be seein ya." Without another word he leaves through the gate and starts stalking back to his home in the Azure district.

Well, I suppose that answers that question. Can't say I'll be too sad to see him go. Anyone else totally devoid of honor, or shall we move on? Miss Vanderboren, how worried are you about that 50 gold advance? I'd bet we can get it back for you.... He shifts his weight a few times, obviously uncomfortable about the man's sudden departure.

12StoryCondo
2014-12-28, 02:39 PM
"Great. One mention of sharing his gold and being part of a group and he flees. Don't worry, Ms. Vanderboren; Some of us do care about others and have a compass that points to more than north." He sighs heavily. "So who wants to grab some lunch and shop around a bit before we commence the search for Vanthus in full force? I know a place that does amazing fried fish, and I know my way in the Azure District so I can keep us in the right areas. Horace? Fish?" Edgar shrugs and holds his hands up as though expecting an answer.

JWallyR
2014-12-28, 09:12 PM
After listening to Simon's diatribe with one raised eyebrow, Garrett shrugs. Can't say as I'm surprised. Man had a good arm, but that's about the only good thing on 'im. Prob'ly for the best. Turning to Edgar, he continues nonchalantly. I could go for some lunch. Wouldn't want to run into trouble on an empty stomach. He suddenly grins wolfishly at the man.

Farmerbink
2014-12-28, 09:48 PM
"So who wants to grab some lunch and shop around a bit before we commence the search for Vanthus in full force? I know a place that does amazing fried fish, and I know my way in the Azure District so I can keep us in the right areas. Horace? Fish?" Edgar shrugs and holds his hands up as though expecting an answer.

I could go for some lunch. Wouldn't want to run into trouble on an empty stomach. He suddenly grins wolfishly at the man.

Firi'sar nods, emphatically. That sounds like a wonderful idea! Even gods must eat, after all.

... Well, perhaps not. Whatever. Do lead the way, Edgar! Firi'sar falls in behind the man, and chats amicably as they walk.

Untarr
2014-12-29, 09:15 AM
Lily remains silent through much of the exchange, seemingly deep in thought. The departure of Simon seems to snap her out of it though.

"No, wait! But..." she falls silent again at his departure. Her eyes squint as she tightens her jaw. "Grrrrr Hmph! Don't need him anyways!"

She says as she stalks away, her fists curled into tight balls of fury.

Later, at lunch....

Lily tears into her fourth fish with no signs of slowing down. A bone slides down her mouth as she yells out. "ANOTHER! And keep them coming! I am starving!"

Taking a swig of ale, she continues to eat ravenously.

"I think that wand thingie is a good idea. I like the pay, but I think this is going to hurt more often than not." She takes out a bag of gold and throws it at Firi'sar. "That should cover it, let me know if you need more. I also need to buy some potions. Heard the trainers talk about them, but I never got far enough along that they let me use one. I supposed that doesn't matter anymore."

The barkeep throws another fish down just as Lily finishes the fourth.

"Thanks!", she says before she begins to devour it.

MuffinMan
2014-12-29, 10:41 AM
As the party is busy devouring the majority of the establishment's daily catch, they are interrupted by a shadow falling across the table. Looking up, they see that it belongs to a young woman in her early twenties who is studying them quite openly. "Just who I was looking for!" she exclaims, clapping her hands together. "I hope you saved some for me!"

Such an unusual outburst prompts the group to study her more closely. She is slim, tall for her size, and garbed entirely in black except for the metal studs on her leather armor and a silver pendant in the shape of a grinning skull around her neck. Her black hair is cropped short, just above the shoulders, and her blue eyes seem to be taking in more than they should. Other than the two daggers at her belt, she appears unarmed, and she is carrying a small pack as though laden for a journey.
(look at me making up DCs!)

The skull, or sometimes a skull against an exploding fireball, is the holy symbol of Wee Jas (http://www.canonfire.com/wiki/index.php?title=Wee_Jas), Goddess of Magic, Death, Vanity, and Law.

The Church of Wee Jas has a significant presence in Sasserine, headquartered out of the Temple of Wee Jas in the Noble District.

The city of Sasserine was named for its founder, a visionary cleric of Wee Jas who perished on what is now Ancestor Island while defending the townsfolk from a black dragon. (As described on page 11 of the Player's Guide PDF (https://paizo.com/dungeonissues/SavageTide/SavageTide_LR.pdf))

"Oh, I forgot!" she halts in the act of reaching out for a fish. "She said you left before she got a chance to tell you, so you don't know me yet. Ahem," she straightens and brushes her hair back behind her ear, "My name is Sasha Desmon. Miss Vanderboren heard about the unpleasantness with that thug from the docks, and thought you could use some more help to fill the void. I'm to assist you with locating the brother, one Vanthus Vanderboren, last heard to be somewhere in the Azure District. Oh! And she told me who you all are as well." She frowns slightly with the effort of remembering.

"You there with the bow, you must be Garrett. And as the only lady in the company, I assume you are Miss Lily Kraan." Sasha inclines her head slightly to each as she identifies them. "The elf must be Master Firi'Sar Throshana," she takes care to get the elven inflections just right, "and that means the other must be Edgar. Sorry," she looks down at Horace, "Miss Lavinia didn't tell me the wolf's name."

"So!" She signals the servers for another helping of fish and takes a seat on the bench next to the group, either unconcerned with their response or assuming their acceptance without a further thought. "As soon as we've eaten, we can track down this Vanthus fellow, tell Lady Vanderboren where he's hiding, and get our next orders. Oh!" She hits her forehead lightly with her palm. "I forgot again. Who's in command here?" She looks around at each of the others, expectantly.

Untarr
2014-12-29, 10:50 AM
[roll0] Knowledge Local
[roll1] Knowledge Religion

Looking from her meal, Lily takes a moment to take in the new figure.
"Wedgee follower huh? Wee Jee, oh what was it? Wee Jas. That's right. Death, beauty, magic. Grim lot sometimes. You going to get all 'death and grim' on us? We already got enough of that with sourpuss face over there." she says indicating to Garret with her chin.

"Honestly don't know he doesn't just implode into a little ball with as much fun as he sucks out of a room with those scowls of his. Hopefully you're more on the cheery side. Cool daggers!" she says that last part with a hopeful smile.

JWallyR
2014-12-29, 11:53 AM
Garrett reluctantly pulls his attention away from the meal to level his piercing gaze at the woman, clearly assessing her as Lily responds.

Sense Motive: [roll0]
Knowledge (local), untrained: [roll1] <-- not including +2 from favored enemy, if applicable
Knowledge (religion), untrained: [roll2] <-- ditto

Raising an eyebrow at Lily's remarks, he turns to her: Rest assured, miss, you'll know when I'm really scowling, and I ain't been yet.

Turning to the new arrival, he continues: I don't know as we've put the lead to a vote, but Firi'Sar's got as good an 'ead on his shoulders as I know, and when it 'appens to drift a bit high I tend to ease 'im down okay. Edgar and the pup hold their own in a fight, and the girl's been... surprisingly effective, but leaving the thinking to the elf 'as worked out for me in the past. He returns his attention to his second fillet of fish, seeming to savor each crispy bite.

Farmerbink
2014-12-29, 01:26 PM
Oh!" She hits her forehead lightly with her palm. "I forgot again. Who's in command here?" She looks around at each of the others, expectantly.

[roll0] +[roll1] history
[roll2] +[roll3] local
[roll4] religion

Firi'sar hums as he openly assesses the new arrival. Hmmm. You're quite a ways from home, miss Sasha. (He deliberately says the word with the lilting, rhythmic accent of an elf). Hmmm. I like that. Fun to say... Yes, well, as Garrett has mentioned, I suppose I am the brains of this operation, though I might not go quite so far as to say I'm in command... Fortunately, thus far, the intelligent route has been the superior tactical decision, as well, and yes, Lily has proven quite formidable. Don't let the arms fool you, she swings that thing around like a toothpick. Where was I? Oh, yes. Commander (he speaks in a dramatized baritone) isn't exactly a term we use often around here. As long as you can operate without orders, and without getting us killed, I suppose you'll fit in nicely.

He makes no effort to hide his gaze as she takes a seat at the table.

So. To what do we owe the pleasure of the church's interest?

Do you have a character sheet you'd like to link? I keep all of 'em bookmarked. Never know when I'm gonna have to shank one of you bastards...

MuffinMan
2014-12-29, 02:43 PM
"Cool daggers!" she says that last part with a hopeful smile.

"Thanks!" Sasha grins as she pulls one out and rolls it lazily around her fingers before slicing open a fish. "I like your sword! Though it looks too heavy for me!"

"Wedgee follower huh? Wee Jee, oh what was it? Wee Jas. That's right. Death, beauty, magic. Grim lot sometimes. You going to get all 'death and grim' on us?"

Firi'sar hums as he openly assesses the new arrival. So. To what do we owe the pleasure of the church's interest?

Sasha nods to Lily as she takes a bite of fish. "Quite right. I am an... acolyte of sorts for the Ruby Sorceress. Although, - this fish is really good, by the way! - my superiors thought it prudent that I should work for a time as a freelance adventurer, and so I find myself currently employed by Miss Vanderboren, the same as you all. Don't worry," she winks at Firi'Sar, "if the church was interested in you, you'd know it. And I'm rarely grim." She takes another bite of fish.

I don't know as we've put the lead to a vote, but Firi'Sar's got as good an 'ead on his shoulders as I know, and when it 'appens to drift a bit high I tend to ease 'im down okay.

Commander (he speaks in a dramatized baritone) isn't exactly a term we use often around here. As long as you can operate without orders, and without getting us killed, I suppose you'll fit in nicely.

"Oh, I see..." she says, looking between Garrett and Firi'Sar. Her voice and expression suggest she does not. "That seems... unorthodox, but I suppose it may serve. And I have no intention of getting anyone killed. Very well! Then, who among you is the company wizard or magician? We should discuss the magic you intend to use to locate Vanthus, and our contingency strategy if we encounter unexpected resistance." Again she scans the assembled faces of the party, seeming a little less sure this time.

is in the siggy.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-29, 05:29 PM
The introductions and lunch over, the PCs prepare to try and find Vanthus Vanderboren. What do you all do to locate him? Options include magic, Diplomacy (used to gather information), Knowledge checks (including the rarely-used Nobility :smalleek:), or staking out a location and hoping you see him...

Untarr
2014-12-29, 06:13 PM
"I'm going to walk around and talk to people. See if I can't find out where this guy is. Nobles couldn't be too hard to find right?"

Diplomacy
[roll1] Hours

Farmerbink
2014-12-29, 06:20 PM
local: [roll0] +[roll1] = 17
nobility (if usable untrained): [roll2] +[roll3]?
history (if relevant, at all): [roll4] +[roll5] = 23

Firi'sar belches loudly, and leaves an extra silver on the bar before strolling into the street. It was delicious, good sir!
(in the street) Now, what do we know about this Vanthus character, other than that he is the estranged brother of Lavinia, and he apparently resides in the Azure district? Nothing? Wonderful. Well, I suggest we spread out, and make some inquiries as to this fellow's whereabouts. If anyone has any better suggestions, I'm always open. If not... He looks up to the sky, to gauge the time, we should plan to meet back here in 4 hours? We can compare what we've learned and devise a course of action for this evening.

[roll6] diplomacy to gather information
[roll7] hours to do so

If sufficient time before we meet remains:
[roll8] diplomacy to gather information again
[roll9] hours to do so

"I'm going to walk around and talk to people. See if I can't find out where this guy is. Nobles couldn't be too hard to find right?"

(1d20+7)[8] Diplomacy
(2d4)[7] Hours
only 1d4 hours. Also, ouch.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-29, 06:27 PM
Sasha remembers something. The portrait behind Lavinia's place in the dining hall is of Vanthus, her brother. He looks like this:

http://photos.plaxo.com/photos/get/34/15/132/104/2478/60478-s-0.jpg

MuffinMan
2014-12-29, 09:11 PM
No mage, either? What an odd group this is... Sasha thinks as the group finishes their lunch. "Oh! Miss Vanderboren showed me a picture of her brother before she sent me to you, so I think I can identify him. He's a man in his late-thirties, I'd say, with long brown hair and a beard that hugs to his jaw." She gestures with her hands to indicate the style.

Once the others have been told of the description, Sasha sets off into the Azure district herself after making a mental note of the fish merchant's location.
Not sure which may be applicable...
Untrained Knowledge: Local [roll0] (about the Azure district layout / likely places to get info)

Diplomacy to gather information [roll1], taking [roll2] hours
If there's time for a second round of info-gathering,
Diplomacy to gather information [roll3], taking [roll4] hours

Sense Motive [roll5] (in case one of the information-givers is lying?)

Perception [roll6] (in case Vanthus just walks by on the street?)

JWallyR
2014-12-29, 11:42 PM
Garrett contentedly wipes the remnants of fish from his stubbled chin before grunting in a noncommittal manner and heading off to see what he can manage to find.

Diplomacy: [roll0]
Knowledge (any relevant, untrained, unless a "Nature" at +4 is useful): [roll1] <-- didn't use +2 for favored enemy? :D
Perception: [roll2] (including Favored Enemy bonus to "identify" the nobleman? :D)

12StoryCondo
2014-12-30, 01:22 AM
After finishing his food at a leisurely pace, Edgar leaves a gold orb on the table as he stands up. "I guess everyone's in a hurry to get this done separately, eh, bud?" Horace tilts his head quizzically. "Well I guess splitting up is good for covering more ground. One of my old bosses has to have some idea who this guys is, right? Can't be a successful noble in this town without knowing all kinds. Let's track him down, turn in the info, and go for a swim afterwords, aye?" The pair strolls out into the afternoon air and begins winding through the Azure District.

Starting near the Dredger's Guildhall and working around to the docks where the whaling ships are moored to start.
Diplomacy: [roll0]
Local: [roll1] (perhaps catch a bit of info from Profession (Sailor) if Vanthus owns a group for whom I have worked)
Perception: [roll2] to recognize him if I happen to pass him in a stroke of luck

12StoryCondo
2014-12-30, 09:28 AM
[roll0] hours for info gathering.

DarkOne-Rob
2014-12-31, 04:51 PM
The party takes several hours to search and question locals in the Azure District but do not find much. Several people remember seeing him in the company of a woman named Brissa Santos, a semi-legitimate artist who grew up as a pickpocket. Trying to follow up on her reveals nothing, however. Two more days of searching, including extending their efforts to both the Noble and Sunrise Districts provide nothing of use at all.

As they all gather together to discuss the results of their efforts at Best Bait and Deserts (a local fish and bakery eatery) on the morning of the third day a half-elf man with messy black hair and wearing a ragged suit of leather armor pulls up a chair to their table and sits down. "I understand you all are looking for Lord Vanthus Vanderboren. My name is Shefton, and for five gold orbs I can take you to him, if you so desire," he says in a low voice.

Farmerbink
2014-12-31, 06:02 PM
Firi'sar looks up from where he's been grumbling over a small loaf. Stupid... worthless... Shoulda left when Simon did... never gonna... What's that, you said? He squints his eyes, appraising the man. Exactly why should we trust you, Shefton?

[roll0] sense motive + [roll1]? :smallcool: Double top dice. Wut. Probs don't need the inspiration. I BETTER not need the inspiration >_<

MuffinMan
2014-12-31, 09:17 PM
Sasha looks up with interest as the newcomer walks in. She listens, expressionless, as he makes his proposal and Firi'Sar counters with a question. "Hail and well met, Master Shefton!" She leans across the table to put a hand on Firi'Sar's forearm. "You'll have to excuse my friend - one of yesterday's fish didn't agree with him. Now, about your offer..." she leans back and makes a show of thoughtfully considering it. "Three golden orbs. And you tell us the name of the district before we start walking. Deal?"
Diplomacy [roll0] for persuasion/bartering?
Sense Motive [roll1] on any response

JWallyR
2014-12-31, 09:26 PM
As the half-elf approaches the table, Garrett fixes his piercing stare on him.

Sense Motive: [roll0] <--applied +2 from favored enemy by mistake, I assume it doesn't work on half-elves?

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-01, 08:08 AM
"Oh, I see you all are in a position to negotiate. Since you clearly have so many leads, I will let you follow up on them. If you change your mind, meet me here..." Shefton says, as he wrings his dirty hands. His disheveled appearance matches the barely hidden desperation underneath his confident words. He isn't lying, and can take you to Vanthus, but doesn't look interested in negotiating or explaining himself.

12StoryCondo
2015-01-01, 10:44 AM
"Oh just pay the man," Edgar says "Sometimes information requires a fee." He slaps a fistful of orbs into the man's hand. "As for trust, we can't. This man has no reason to risk his life on lies, however." The words seem directed more at the man than the party.

"So what do you know?"

MuffinMan
2015-01-01, 11:47 AM
Sasha remains expressionless as Edgar hands over the coin, although she mentally notes the man's extreme nervousness. "Very well, Master Shefton," she says coolly, "You have your payment. Now, take us to Lord Vanderboren."
As we follow, anticipating a trap of some kind:
Sense Motive [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-03, 04:28 AM
"Lord Vanderboren has been living for the past few days in some abandoned smuggling tunnels on Parrot Island. He purchased a boat from a dwarf in the Shadowshore district and took some men to explore the tunnels. I can take you to a trap door that leads to the secret tunnels that he and his men have been using," Shefton says as he settles back into his chair and takes the coins. "As for risking my neck, you can be sure I know better than to try and trick five well equipped and armed people. He's been there, alright, and it is your best bet for finding him in person."

Parrot Island has long served as a hideout for smugglers in the area around Sasserine. The tunnels below the island have existed nearly as long as the city itself, but common knowledge is that they are now abandoned.
Parrot Island is a rocky outcropping surrounded by thirty foot high cliffs save for the eastern end where a narrow beach affords an easier approach. The isle is covered in thick vegetation with hundreds of noisy, brightly colored parrots making their homes there.

MuffinMan
2015-01-03, 08:33 AM
History [roll0]
Geography [roll1]
Sasha's eyebrows rise in shock before she can master her features back to stillness. What is a nobleman doing emptying his vaults and exploring an old smuggler's den? Out loud she says to the others, "That would certainly explain why he needed the extra coin. Thank you, Master Shefton." Turning back to the ragged half-elf. "Is there anything else you can tell us about Lord Vanderboren's activities? The name of this dwarf, perhaps, or when all this exploration started? Or," she leans closer to him and her voice takes on a slight edge, "how it is you know all this?"

Farmerbink
2015-01-04, 12:44 PM
Seems to me, based on what we already knew, and what we've now learned, he's doing much more than exploring the island. It sounds like he's building something. What else would he need all the funds for? Perhaps Simon was right, this just keeps getting weirder.... That said, I simply cannot abide not knowing what's going on down there...

Very well, Master Shefton. If you would lead us to this trapdoor, I'm sure we'd all be much obliged.

JWallyR
2015-01-04, 08:35 PM
I dunnow. The Lady said to find her brother, she didn't say to try and break into where'er he's been kicking his boots off. Then again, we might oughtta wait to go back 'til we got more than street talk to bring wif' us. says Garrett, looking absently into the distance. Shall we? he says to the party, eyes traveling between members before resting on the disheveled half-elf informant.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-05, 01:43 PM
"Lord Vanderboren approached me a few weeks ago to help set up a smuggling operation. I do not know why he would want to do this, but that is what happened. The dwarf is named Pachi - he owns a shop named 'It Still Floats!' in Shadowshore. If you want me to lead you there, go ahead and follow me," the half-elf says, as he stands and begins walking towards the nearest dock.

About a half-hour later the party lands on Parrot Island amid the raucous noise of its avian residents. Shefton walks confidently through the trees following a partially overgrown trail to the center of the island. At a small clearing he points out a small trap door hidden in the sandy earth. Once opened the party sees a five-foot shaft leading down into the darkness below. A rope hangs from a hook in the wall providing a safe-looking method of descent into the earth. From the top it looks to be about thirty feet down before a sandy floor can be seen. "This is where Vanthus should be waiting for us. Shall we?" Shefton asks, gesturing at the shaft and rope.

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 02:23 PM
Firi'sar looks down the hole, a dubious expression on his face. So, this is how to get into those tunnels....

"This is where Vanthus should be waiting for us. Shall we?" Shefton asks, gesturing at the shaft and rope.

His expression shifts suddenly to alarm. Wait, "Lord Vanthus" is waiting for us? That's all I needed to hear to know that I'm not climbing down that hole. Shall we report her brother's hideout to Miss Vanderboren now, or would you all prefer to get yourself gutted by "Lord Vanthus" and his cronies first?

[roll0] to sleight of hand my extract of expeditious retreat into my hand unseen.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-05, 02:44 PM
Shefton looks flustered for a minute before saying, "I apologize for the confusion, but what I mean is that this is where Lord Vanderboren is most likely to be. He does not know you are coming. I am sorry, I misspoke."

It was not exactly a mis-type, but the intent of Shefton's last statement was not to suggest Vanthus is down the hole expecting the party. Feel free to roll any skill checks you like to determine his motives.

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 02:49 PM
Firi'sar regains his dubious expression. Mmm hmmm. I'm still not sure we shouldn't report to Miss Vanderboren first. She specifically instructed us to tell her where her brother is, not attempt to apprehend or approach him ourselves.[roll0] sense motive

12StoryCondo
2015-01-05, 07:24 PM
"Well you've got you money and we've got our location and our orders, so we may want to take it slowly from here, Master Shefton." Edgar turns to face the assembled group. "I can't imagine that Vanthus will be pleased to have us barge in here whether or not he is expecting us. Lavinia wanted the location and a proper sortie, and I say we do this on her terms this time if circumstances allow. We can bring her back here today if need be; The trip isn't that far."

Sense Motive on Shefton just in case: [roll0]
Survival while following Shefton here to know where we are and have been so I can find this spot again if Shefton fecks off: [roll1]
Perception because you ALWAYS ROLL PERCEPTION IN THE JUNGLE/FOREST. Keep that head on a swivel: [roll2]

Farmerbink
2015-01-05, 07:39 PM
"Well you've got you money and we've got our location and our orders, so we may want to take it slowly from here, Master Shefton." Edgar turns to face the assembled group. "I can't imagine that Vanthus will be pleased to have us barge in here whether or not he is expecting us. Lavinia wanted the location and a proper sortie, and I say we do this on her terms this time if circumstances allow. We can bring her back here today if need be; The trip isn't that far."

Sense Motive on Shefton just in case: [roll0]
Survival while following Shefton here to know where we are and have been so I can find this spot again if Shefton fecks off: [roll1]
Perception because you ALWAYS ROLL PERCEPTION IN THE JUNGLE/FOREST. Keep that head on a swivel: [roll2]

Firi'sar nods simply. Finally, someone else around here speaks with some sense!

MuffinMan
2015-01-05, 11:54 PM
Sasha crosses her arms and peers down into the tunnel. "I would sooner confront Lord Vanderboren and learn his reasons for being here immediately, since we are so close. But," she turns to the others, "as we lack an appointed leader, I will follow the will of the majority. Garrett, what do you think?"

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-06, 07:47 AM
Shefton shrugs and says, "You let me know what you want to do. If you want me to leave you to talk to your boss, no sweat off my back."

It would not be difficult to find this spot or the trap door again if you all wanted. You all came in the same boat, so he has to wait for you to leave.

I am going to treat Lily as an NPC until either Starnes decides he wants to keep playing or until a specific moment that is approaching shortly. For now, Lily will follow you guys.

Farmerbink
2015-01-06, 08:54 AM
Shefton shrugs and says, "You let me know what you want to do. If you want me to leave you to talk to your boss, no sweat off my back."

Firi'sar nods, relief barely evident in his features. Good, good. We'll meet you back at the skiff in 2 hours time. That should be plenty to discuss how to proceed and be ready to go. He leads the way back to the skiff and across the bay to where they first found it. Remember, 2 hours. See you then, Shefton.

As they walk away, Firi'sar takes the extract out of his sleeve and returns it to his pouch. Glad I didn't have to use that just yet. What do you all make of this Shefton character? I'm inclined to distrust him, but he hasn't done anything overly suspicious...

JWallyR
2015-01-06, 09:58 AM
Sasha crosses her arms and peers down into the tunnel. "I would sooner confront Lord Vanderboren and learn his reasons for being here immediately, since we are so close. But," she turns to the others, "as we lack an appointed leader, I will follow the will of the majority. Garrett, what do you think?"

Garrett sizes up the half-elf.

Modifier is +4. If you prefer a roll: [roll0]

We got our orders, and they weren't to storm the keep. Let's talk to the Lady.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-07, 08:29 AM
The party has no difficulty returning to the Vanderboren residence. Lavinia greets them with a hopeful smile, saying, "Have you found my brother? Is he well and will he speak with me?" Their story leaves her a bit puzzled, as she hears first about their difficulty following up on leads until the appearance of Shefton. She listens with interest as they describe the scene on Parrot Island, a flicker of confusion on her face as Vanthus' plans are described to her. "Why would he care about smuggling? It isn't like our family was made up of paupers and unable to make money legitimately. You must return to the tunnels and find him. I am still involved here with wrapping up the family's debts and calling in the favors owed us. If you can convince him to see me, that would be best."

After excusing herself to return to the aforementioned work the party returns to where they told Shefton to meet them. The half-elf is nowhere to be found, and does not arrive within the hour. It will not be difficult to return to the site of the tunnel shaft, however, as Edgar feels very confident he can find the short trail and trapdoor.

If the PCs do not want to immediately enter the smuggling tunnels they can follow up with the dwarf Panchi at "It Still Foats!" or begin searching for fresh leads. You can also attempt to find Shefton or the woman with which Vanthus was rumored to be, Brissa Santos. It may be worthwhile to expand the efforts into other districts if you wish to look for any of these people, however, since your efforts in the Azure District have generally turned up nothing of value.

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 09:03 AM
After waiting briefly for Shefton, Firi'sar becomes irritable. Blasted fool, halfbreed! How do you expect to have people treat you with respect when you can't keep your word? I mistrust this, but I suppose we should inspect the tunnels like we told Miss Vanderboren we would...

MuffinMan
2015-01-07, 09:40 AM
Sasha frowns. "For all we know he may have gone to inform Lord Vanderboren we were coming for another 5 gold... I mistrust the look of that one. We should hurry through these tunnels before we lose any more time!"

JWallyR
2015-01-07, 03:22 PM
With a look of mild irritation, Garrett grunts at the half-elf's absence. Can't say as I'm surprised. Well... shall we? he gestures to the fore.

Farmerbink
2015-01-07, 04:16 PM
Sasha frowns. "For all we know he may have gone to inform Lord Vanderboren we were coming for another 5 gold... I mistrust the look of that one. We should hurry through these tunnels before we lose any more time!"

Indeed. I suppose we had better get to it.

Firi'sar hops into the boat, and is ready to head into the tunnels, once everyone else is.

12StoryCondo
2015-01-07, 09:01 PM
Edgar returns to the boat with a layered roll of fur and canvas affixed to the bottom of his pack. "Right, so the shopkeep didn't know anything about Vanthus, but he did have a good deal going on textiles. Let's shove off and jump into a dark hole!" He gets one foot in the skiff and looks around, confused. "What, Shefton didn't show? Eh, we don't need him anymore anyway. Can't blame him for not wanting extra credit. Horace, boat." Edgar begins untying knots.

DarkOne-Rob
2015-01-08, 07:29 AM
It takes the party only a few minutes to return to the site of the trapdoor. As she opens it Lily offers to help secure a second rope and lower Horace down, and then going down last. It would be best if Edgar were at the bottom to help calm the canine as he descends, but otherwise the order you all descend is up to you. Using the rope attached, the Climb (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/skills/climb.html#climb) is only a DC 5 check. You may take 10 on this check, since unless you have a penalty to your check even if you fail the check you won't fall. The tunnel looks to be just over thirty feet deep, placing the landing at only a couple of feet above sea level at most. From where you are at the top you cannot see if there is light at the bottom or not.

MuffinMan
2015-01-08, 10:17 AM
Sasha glances down into the gloom and comes up with an idea. "I'll go first - give me twenty seconds to listen, and then follow." Moving over to the rope, she carefully lowers herself down the tunnel, trying her best not to make a sound as she climbs. When she reaches the bottom, she draws a pair of daggers and presses back against the wall of the tunnel, waiting for her senses to adjust.

Take 10 on climb for 9.
Stealth [roll0]
Perception [roll1]

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 12:43 PM
Firi'sar quickly follows Sasha down the rope. You should have let me go first, he whispers. Darkness doesn't hinder my sight, particularly. He looks around at the bottom of the rope to get his bearings. For now, let's hope for a positive introduction- we should keep our weapons sheathed, unless we find need for it.

Farmerbink
2015-01-08, 12:45 PM
[roll0] stealth
[roll1] perception- darkvision, if necessary.
take 10 for a 9 on climb.

JWallyR
2015-01-08, 01:53 PM
Garrett raises an eyebrow at Sasha's instructions, and follows directly after Firi'Sar. As his feet touch the ground, he readies his longbow...

Can't fail the climb check with a +5! :D
Perception: [roll0] <-- not counting +2 vs humans
Stealth: [roll1]