PDA

View Full Version : From Behind the Concession Stand

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-26, 10:19 PM
As I seem to have a new handful of stories from my sister, who works at a theatre, every few days, I thought I might as well put an entire thread devoted to it.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Today's tale involves my sister who is approached by a gentlemen who has been watching 23. He asks if he can get into another movie as he did not know that 23 was supposed to be so 'violent and... satanic'. Not a clue where that comes from as the movie has nothing to do with that. However, he only watched like the first hour of it and so she says sure, what film would he like to see instead?

He asks her what is going to be playing that hour and she lists them off and when she comes to Ghost Rider he's like, 'Oh! Ghost Rider, I've been wanting to see that!'

My sister manages to wat untill he enters before collapsing into sheer, incredulous laughter.

Hunter_Rose
2007-03-27, 10:21 AM
I understand that it is necessary, but I just can't stand when the concession stand people ask you to upgrade to a combo every time I ask them for a medium popcorn and a medium diet pepsi, or they cheerfully inform me that for a quarter more I can get a large of each.

You know a medium drink and popcorn are already vats of food and drink why the hell would I want the extra-large vat. These sizes are so ridiculous already, I mean I could use the large popcorn container for a garbage pail it so darned huge.

So in my own way to extract some meaningless revenge on these ridiculous sizes and policies I always ask ridiculous additional questions if I have the time to.

"So what's the cubic volume difference between the large popcorn and the medium popcorn?"

"Could you explain my options again?"

"Which coice is usually more popular?"

"If concession stand worker 1 fills a large popcorn container twice as fast as concession stand worker 2 fills a small popcorn container would the theater still use palm oil to pop their popcorn?"

I know this is petty and annoying to the concession stand workers, but this kinda drives me crazy and makes my movie going somewhat less enjoyable. Strangely enough now I'm getting annoyed at Blockbuster because every time I go to rent a DVD they ask me to join the access program where they send movies to your home all the time. It seems that no matter what you do you just can't win these days.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-03-27, 10:24 AM
Eh, Hunter... Seek. Professional. Help.

Mauril Everleaf
2007-03-27, 10:26 AM
Although the Blockbuster Access is awesome (I have it) I can see how that would be annoying. Back to the OP though. Irony much? Most likely the guy was not very eloquent and "...satanic" was the word he used to mean "disturbing in a psuedo-religious way" (I haven't seen 23 so I can't validate that). I guess comic books fall out of the realm of being real enough to ellict a logical connection, but hey, at least he bought the Jumbo Tub-o-Popcorn with his Mega Slurp drink. :smallwink:

Reinforcements
2007-03-27, 11:06 AM
Back when I worked at the Regal Marketplace 24, there were two big things that customers did constantly that drove us crazy. The first was pronouncing things incorrectly. It may seem like a small thing, but hear people say "Reesees Piecees" or "Cruncha Bunch" enough times and it starts to grate. The other (worse) one was not being specific enough with their orders, prompting additional questioning. Believe it or not, the people behind the counter cannot give you what you want based on the word "soda". They need more information.

My favorite example is this one old guy who ordered a Diet Coke. When I asked what size he wanted, he motioned with his hands and went, "Ehhhh..."

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-11, 12:05 AM
Well, its been far too long since I last posted here, but I got a doozy of a story.

This has been long accumulating, I've just not heard but bits and pieces until tonight, but the entire staff there is saying the theatre is haunted. The very first thing that happened they thought was just a prank... but everything since then has pointed that its gotta be something more than that. Basically the first odd thing was my sister went in to clean up after a crowd... and every single arm rest and chair in the place was shoved up.

She says it was like a scene from the Sixth Sense if you've seen it, with all the drawers open. Now, considering how my sister goes in the moment the movie is over, she didn't have a clue how anyone could do it so quickly. So basically, just a little creepy, bit more wierd, but we kinda forgot about it.

However, off and on for months they've come to find this little girl sitting and watching through the credits. She'll be sitting down, and once the lights finally come on... she's gone. Every single member of the place has seen her at one time or another. They've even named her. Calling her Shannon. The manager even said she saw her in the break room once, a place you can only get into if you know the door lock combination. She called out to her and lil Shannon runs for a mop closet around the corner. Manages gives chase... dead end. No Shannon.

Since then the family has grown. They've seen an old man sitting in the front row now about a dozen times, as if he were sleeping. They go up to him... and he's just gone.

Another one is this younger couple, arms around each other at the top of the stairs of the upper row. They've been seen a handful of times.
At one point the managers had had enough and they had all the lights turned on and everyone was given a flashlight and they searched the room, behind the screen, the fire escape door, under the seats... can't find any sign of anyone or even another projecter hidden in there.

Because, you see, everyone of these sightings have been in Theatre #7. Not sure what significance that has, but every strange thing that has happened, has first happened in there. None of the staff will go in there without a partner now, and even then multiple times they've felt someone grabbing their shoulders from behind and no one is there.

One of the guys who really didn't believe in all this says he's been converted now. He was wheeling out some trash one evening and saw something lying by the dumpster. As he got closer he said it looked like a naked old man lying on the pavement. At this point most folks would have back away, but he was too curious now and says it looked up at him. Says it was like someone who had been sick for a long time and then starved. All horrible paleness and wrinkles and overly large eyes like he was suffering from really bad malnutrition. He reached down to poke it to make sure it was real, not believing his eyes, and says it just kind of dissolved.

And what really worries me... is that none of this started until my sister went to work there. Those of you who've read a few of my other posts know that my family has had this kinda stuff going on since our earliest memories. My other sister says strange things started going on in her work place as well since she joined. Its like we're breeding and distributing the bloody things...

Lord Iames Osari
2007-04-11, 12:16 AM
Um. Creepy.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-11, 07:46 AM
Um. Creepy.
Yeah, y'know, just a little. And they swear its true.

Hunter_Rose
2007-04-11, 09:03 AM
SPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOKY! <done in my best Blueregard Bloo Kazoo voice>

But seriously, I would kinda like to know where this theater is. I would be interested in seeing an actual apparition. I've always been fascinated with ghosts, or proof that our existance is all hermitically sealed and explained by science, reason, and proof.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-11, 11:26 AM
It'd be a pretty long ride, especially as I'm down here in the southeast.

Btw, the dumpster critter, decided to give it some stats...

The Lllymha (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40549)

Jibar
2007-04-11, 11:41 AM
Do me a favour Vorpal.
Could you and your family never come to Norfolk, England.
Anywhere else in England is cool, just not Norfolk.
That'd be swell, thanks.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-11, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't say so much "breeding and distributing," more "channeling of what's already there."

Da Beast
2007-04-11, 11:44 AM
If that's true it's one of the creepiest things I've ever heard. If not, I'm sure you're a real riot at campfires.

Abacab
2007-04-11, 12:23 PM
Are you sure no type of accident or violence ever happened in theater #7? Because, there are always those stories like,"So-and-so died here and their spirit haunts this place."

Does anyone in the theater staff have a creepy tale to explain your creepy tale?

Mewtarthio
2007-04-12, 04:04 PM
Well, its been far too long since I last posted here, but I got a doozy of a story.

This has been long accumulating, I've just not heard but bits and pieces until tonight, but the entire staff there is saying the theatre is haunted. The very first thing that happened they thought was just a prank... but everything since then has pointed that its gotta be something more than that. Basically the first odd thing was my sister went in to clean up after a crowd... and every single arm rest and chair in the place was shoved up.

She says it was like a scene from the Sixth Sense if you've seen it, with all the drawers open. Now, considering how my sister goes in the moment the movie is over, she didn't have a clue how anyone could do it so quickly. So basically, just a little creepy, bit more wierd, but we kinda forgot about it.

However, off and on for months they've come to find this little girl sitting and watching through the credits. She'll be sitting down, and once the lights finally come on... she's gone. Every single member of the place has seen her at one time or another. They've even named her. Calling her Shannon. The manager even said she saw her in the break room once, a place you can only get into if you know the door lock combination. She called out to her and lil Shannon runs for a mop closet around the corner. Manages gives chase... dead end. No Shannon.

Since then the family has grown. They've seen an old man sitting in the front row now about a dozen times, as if he were sleeping. They go up to him... and he's just gone.

Another one is this younger couple, arms around each other at the top of the stairs of the upper row. They've been seen a handful of times.
At one point the managers had had enough and they had all the lights turned on and everyone was given a flashlight and they searched the room, behind the screen, the fire escape door, under the seats... can't find any sign of anyone or even another projecter hidden in there.

Because, you see, everyone of these sightings have been in Theatre #7. Not sure what significance that has, but every strange thing that has happened, has first happened in there. None of the staff will go in there without a partner now, and even then multiple times they've felt someone grabbing their shoulders from behind and no one is there.

One of the guys who really didn't believe in all this says he's been converted now. He was wheeling out some trash one evening and saw something lying by the dumpster. As he got closer he said it looked like a naked old man lying on the pavement. At this point most folks would have back away, but he was too curious now and says it looked up at him. Says it was like someone who had been sick for a long time and then starved. All horrible paleness and wrinkles and overly large eyes like he was suffering from really bad malnutrition. He reached down to poke it to make sure it was real, not believing his eyes, and says it just kind of dissolved.

And what really worries me... is that none of this started until my sister went to work there. Those of you who've read a few of my other posts know that my family has had this kinda stuff going on since our earliest memories. My other sister says strange things started going on in her work place as well since she joined. Its like we're breeding and distributing the bloody things...

Ah. That explains your Homebrew, then.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-27, 07:24 PM
Do me a favour Vorpal.
Could you and your family never come to Norfolk, England.
Anywhere else in England is cool, just not Norfolk.
That'd be swell, thanks.
Heh, no worries, never even been out of North America :smallwink:

I wouldn't say so much "breeding and distributing," more "channeling of what's already there."Well, not so sure about channeling, though attracting for some odd reason I'll grant you. I know I'm at least the third generation with this going on. My mom and her sisters had to deal with constant 'visiters' all their life, and my grandmother can tell many a story herself.

Are you sure no type of accident or violence ever happened in theater #7? Because, there are always those stories like,"So-and-so died here and their spirit haunts this place."

Does anyone in the theater staff have a creepy tale to explain your creepy tale?As far as I know nothing like that has occurred. It only opened like three years ago, so not even an old place.

BTW, just a funny little thing. The theatre that playing the newly released film, The Invisible, a movie about a guy who is going around as a spirit... guess which number it was?

Yup, good ole Theatre #7. I was highly amused.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-04-30, 08:52 AM
That just sounds suspicious to me. The man saw a NAKED, malnutritioned, old man lying on the ground by a dumpster. He doesn't call for help, doesn't ask the man if he needs anything. He pokes him. I would like to slap him, repeatedly.

That reminds me of the story a friend told me that included a 2 to 3 year old kid carrying around an 8 pound sledge hammer.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-30, 09:11 AM
That just sounds suspicious to me. The man saw a NAKED, malnutritioned, old man lying on the ground by a dumpster. He doesn't call for help, doesn't ask the man if he needs anything. He pokes him. I would like to slap him, repeatedly.
It didn't look human he says, and for all I know he did call out to it. If you saw, say, an orc lying on the ground what would YOU do? :smallwink:

Baerdog7
2007-05-01, 12:17 AM
Calculate it's CR versus my ECL and find out of the random treasure is worth the risk?

-Baerdog7

thorgrim29
2007-05-01, 09:11 PM
I think Baerdog has played to much dnd....
As a rule of thumb, I dont beleive this kind of stuff, mainly for the same reason I'm an agnostic, you present me with cold hard facts and I'll beleive you, a tale from someone in a forum just does'nt cut it. It MAY be real, I just dont realy give a **** enough to bother to find out.

Baerdog7
2007-05-01, 09:19 PM
@ thorgrim29: Not enough, I'm afraid, since half my gaming group graduated and went off to college two years ago. Of course, I've made up for it by playing in PbP games here and by designing a campaign setting in my Honors Interdisciplinary Studies class. I gave the final presentation on it today, actually.

-Baerdog7

EYanyo
2007-05-01, 09:32 PM

Does anyone in the theater staff have a creepy tale to explain your creepy tale?
Yeah, isn't there always supposed to be, I don't know, a janitor or something who's worked there longer than anyone can remember. You know, the guy who, given the chance, will stop what he's doing, lean heavily on his mop, stare you down, and say in a raspy voice, "I've seen things not meant for human eyes. Bad things. That theatre #7, it's a nasty place. I wouldn't go in there, if I were you..." Then he coughs, stands up straight again, and gets back to work, leaving you to wonder if his words were true.

Tor the Fallen
2007-05-02, 04:42 AM
I understand that it is necessary, but I just can't stand when the concession stand people ask you to upgrade to a combo every time I ask them for a medium popcorn and a medium diet pepsi, or they cheerfully inform me that for a quarter more I can get a large of each.

I had the same thing asked of me at a Starbucks.
Replied "No, thanks."
"Are you sure, it's only 39 cents more."
"Yeah, I don't like to be a consumer."

I then proceeded to pay with a cocaine stained C-note.

Spartan_Samuel
2007-05-02, 06:39 AM
To Vorpal Tribble: I would have screamed like a little girl and run inside to tell the others. I'm not going to take on an Orc alone, are you crazy?

Penguinizer
2007-05-02, 07:49 AM
Vorpal, your sister should go around restaurants and take up money so she doesn't cause something to haunt the place. :smallbiggrin:

Syka
2007-05-02, 05:36 PM
Bah, work in place like a movie theater or a rental place. They tell you that you always (I emphasize ALWAYS) have to ask the customers certain things. If you don't, you risk losing your job because they have secret shoppers. At one point I had to rattle off the following:

-playguard
-extra movie (4 pack deal)
-calendar
-candy/snack attack thing
-discount card
-and then push the free rental weekend we had coming up

People would start to say something and I learned to tell when they were going to politely ask me to shut up, and I'd say, "I know, I hate it when people ask me this stuff, too. But I have to do it."

I beg of you, on behalf of all workers, pllllleeease don't make our job more of a hell than it already is. Now, if you just get a plain bad person- go for it. But if we are nice, trust me- we aren't doing it to bug you. We'd much rather just get on with it and let you go see your movie.

That being said, I love your stories Vorpal. You always have interesting ones. :P

zeratul
2007-05-02, 05:54 PM
Had he not seen the previews? It's about a murderer , and his birthday and stuff add up to 666 right? He coulden't get violent/ slightly satanic from that?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-05-05, 01:12 AM

You know a medium drink and popcorn are already vats of food and drink why the hell would I want the extra-large vat. These sizes are so ridiculous already, I mean I could use the large popcorn container for a garbage pail it so darned huge.

So in my own way to extract some meaningless revenge on these ridiculous sizes and policies I always ask ridiculous additional questions if I have the time to.

"So what's the cubic volume difference between the large popcorn and the medium popcorn?"

"Could you explain my options again?"

"Which coice is usually more popular?"

"If concession stand worker 1 fills a large popcorn container twice as fast as concession stand worker 2 fills a small popcorn container would the theater still use palm oil to pop their popcorn?"

I know this is petty and annoying to the concession stand workers, but this kinda drives me crazy and makes my movie going somewhat less enjoyable. Strangely enough now I'm getting annoyed at Blockbuster because every time I go to rent a DVD they ask me to join the access program where they send movies to your home all the time. It seems that no matter what you do you just can't win these days.

You man not be able to stand it, but that's where places like that will make their money. I worked concessions in the highest grossing theater in Minnesota for two summers back in college. Concessions is where they make their money, not tickets. It's strictly a business thing.

Icewalker
2007-05-08, 09:40 PM
Well, that is a veeeery creepy story. Interesting.

Got an idea for them.

Bring a camera.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-18, 02:20 PM
Alright folks, have some more stories of paranormal activities from my sister's place of employment.

A couple months back she got training in projector maintenance and is now one of two people in the place who can work the things and handle the film.

She'd heard stories from previous folks that worked up there that it was creepy, and she most definitely agrees.

Was small things at first, like suddenly racks of film would suddenly shutter and jump.

Other times she's heard deafening crashes and looked around and nothing was down.

He and one of the others have also been seeing odd things. Like for instance they open the door and there is a large green caterpillar walking across the room, one of those really, really big ones. They're all 'oooh!' and go to switch on the lights and it is gone.

Other times dead leaves have been found up there, and there is absolutely no way they could have gotten up unless purposely brought.

Also, she has several times seen someone running around in that haunted room while the movie was not running (can see through the window that the light shoots through to light the screen) and she'll call someone on her walkie talkie to come check it out as she stands there watching and when they turn on the lights no one is in there.

One recently I was even a part of. Me and my sister are previewing a movie when suddenly we here this crash behind the screen. She flicks on the lights, goes and grabs a nice heavy broom for me, and a flashlight, and we inspect the place... nothing there. We finally settle back and I see what looks like someone crawling along the floor in the row behind me, turn around quick, nothing.

Of late however things have been happening that could be serious. Several times the film has literally caught on fire. She'll go running over and there is tape holding the film to the light that goes out onto the screen. The tape has to go as fast as it does not only so you can watch it, but because otherwise it'll get hot and begin to melt, and eventually combust.

Thing is, she is in that room all day, and it has happened while she is in there, it just starts burning and the tape is there.

Only three people even know the code to the big heavy lock on the door to, and she was the only one of them in that day.

It's been going on for days now, and all of them are beginning to grow a bit concerned, because if she doesn't keep a close eye the place could go up in flames.

Jibar
2007-09-18, 02:36 PM
Aaaaarrrrgggghhhh...
Dammit Trib. Just as I finished reading that, my music suddenly decided to flare up again. Almost scared me to death that did.
I'll tell ya something, I reckon I really would have a heart attack if I ever went to your cinema.
Your sister needs a new job.

Telonius
2007-09-18, 03:25 PM
You need to write a screenplay about this, and sell it to Hollywood.

Has anyone tried asking the spooks why they're there? Often if people stop giving in to their fear, things start to resolve themselves.

WalkingTarget
2007-09-18, 03:34 PM
My initial thoughts on the tape-holding-film thing are:

1. Your sister is doing it (or making up the story in the first place). I don't know her and have no reason to believe that she would do so, but if she's the only person there with access to the room (or it's happened "mysteriously" while she's there) that's suspicious.

2. One of the other 2 people with access to that room is doing it and is messing with her/the theater in general.

3. More than 3 people have access to the room and somebody who shouldn't be there in the first place is doing it.

But then again, I'm a skeptic and have never had any experiences that would suggest the existence of ghosts. Tape doesn't seem terribly supernatural to me. Modern film stock spontaneously combusting maybe, but not tape.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-18, 03:40 PM
Has anyone tried asking the spooks why they're there? Often if people stop giving in to their fear, things start to resolve themselves.
Heh, my family has become so used to this stuff we only occasionally even twitch when we see or hear something like this. So it seems to not make any difference.

But then again, I'm a skeptic and have never had any experiences that would suggest the existence of ghosts. Tape doesn't seem terribly supernatural to me. Modern film stock spontaneously combusting maybe, but not tape.
No, tape isn't supernatural... but tape that appears and holds the film to the burning light when no one is there... thats a bit different.

However, no, my sister isn't doing it, just trust me on that. But the problem is, there is no one else there to have done it, as it'll begin burning while she's in there.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-18, 03:45 PM
Only three people even know the code to the big heavy lock on the door to, and she was the only one of them in that day.
Oh, really? Including everyone who's ever worked there? Including all the managers? Including everyone who might have rifled through the theater's trash and found the passcode thoughtlessly written down?

You don't have a ghost. You have a Phantom of the Opera. Someone's either breaking and entering using some forgotten bit of the blueprints, or else they've just obtained the passcode somehow and are playing tricks on the theater. My money's on the old Disgruntled Former Employee.

Call the cops, not the Ghostbusters.

Telonius
2007-09-18, 03:48 PM
Honestly I'm a bit skeptical of the "Ghost" angle myself, but obviously there are several people that are either making it up or having a similar bizarre experience. But there doesn't seem to be much motivation for them all to make it up, and if VT is right quite a few of them are upset over this. I'd just take the descriptions for what they're worth, and try to make sense out of them. You can't do that if you're afraid of whatever's happening, and you also can't do that if you're totally skeptical of what people say they're experiencing.

Some other thoughts ... has the air in the theater been checked recently? Do they have working carbon monoxide alarms and fire alarms? Has the wiring been checked?

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-18, 03:54 PM
Oh, really? Including everyone who's ever worked there? Including all the managers? Including everyone who might have rifled through the theater's trash and found the passcode thoughtlessly written down?

You don't have a ghost. You have a Phantom of the Opera. Someone's either breaking and entering using some forgotten bit of the blueprints, or else they've just obtained the passcode somehow and are playing tricks on the theater. My money's on the old Disgruntled Former Employee.

Call the cops, not the Ghostbusters.
The pass code is changed weekly. However, I will say it again, it is happening WHILE my sister is in there alone.

Some other thoughts ... has the air in the theater been checked recently? Do they have working carbon monoxide alarms and fire alarms? Has the wiring been checked?
Sure thing. Why do you ask? The film can only be set on fire by being in front of the projecting light. This light is very, very hot normally. The only reason it is going on fire is because the tape is keep the film there long enough to burn.

And yes, I'm very much aware most things have a normal explanation, however, I've seen far too much in my life to think everything does. However, as much of what has been going on in this theatre is seen by many different people, it'd have to be a pretty elaborate and long-reaching hoax, and if anything my sister would let me in on it because I love hoaxes ;)

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-18, 04:03 PM
The pass code is changed weekly. However, I will say it again, it is happening WHILE my sister is in there alone.
Well, if she's in there alone, she must be doing it. It's either that, which we'll discount by assuming we can trust your assessment of your sister, or she's not alone in there.

I'd check for hollow walls, removable wall sections, maybe even trap doors in the floor or ceiling, cliché as that is. An unknown egress from the theater (say, an again-overly-cliché air duct) would certainly explain the leaves and insects, and possibly provide a way for some destructive and stealthy kid to get in there and try to burn the film.

Telonius
2007-09-18, 04:07 PM
Sure thing. Why do you ask? The film can only be set on fire by being in front of the projecting light. This light is very, very hot normally. The only reason it is going on fire is because the tape is keep the film there long enough to burn.

Just trying to rule out some less likely, but mundane, possibilities. I'm pretty sure that loose wires can create ozone, which (if I'm not mistaken) can lead to some pretty wacky perception issues if it's in a high enough concentration. Wiring problems might also cause projectors to function abnormally - and if the lock is hardwired into the circuit, it could mess around with that too. Similar thing for the carbon monoxide; it can do some odd things to your visual perception.

But if none of that is the case, I'm fresh out of mundane explanations. I'd still suggest approaching it as calmly and logically as you can. Whether or not there are ghosts, being afraid of them won't help the situation.

WalkingTarget
2007-09-18, 04:13 PM
Hmm...

How is the tape situated relative to the film and projector when this happens? Has anyone thought to look for tape stuck to the film or projector ahead of time? Maybe somebody goes in and sticks tape on stuff so that it will get stuck as the film is run (i.e. it's not holding anything at first, but as the film feeds through the mechanism it eventually catches).

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-09-18, 05:19 PM
I've witnessed some interesting things in my tenure while working at a movie theater (which turned out to be the highest grossing theater in the entire state of MN). I mainly did concessions but occasionally was an usher when they were short. During my time as an usher, I'd have to say the most interesting thing I happened to witness was one time when I went into a theater in the middle of a weekday just to check on things after the show started and found a couple (the only two people in the theater mind you) in the middle of, how should I say this...having some kinky fun. But that really doesn't hold a candle to some of the stuff I dealt with from customers behind the concession stand. Most of the time it was people who threw tantrums about not getting free refills on their large drinks (but it was all the popcorn you could eat with a large). The theater is located in a mall, and on of the most amusing things that happened to me was that two women came up to me, ordered food, then didn't go see a movie, but went back into the mall and continued shopping

Ditto
2007-09-19, 01:12 PM
I worked at a 22-theater for three summers, and it was good times. I realized, now that I've gone, that it's only because of the people. Theaters are terrible places to work unless you have the right crew, and you don't get paid what you should either. Nevertheless, good stories to be had...

On your note, PCube, an usher friend received a complaint about a couple getting frisky in the back row of a theater during a movie. The usher went in and walked right up to the couple (the gal was straddling her guy at the moment), and said quite calmly, "You see that little window right there? That's where the projectionists are right now. And they can see *everything* out here. Have a nice day." And then marched off.

Another time, when cleaning up after the show let out, we found a bra (again, in the back row... I guess there was a memo) next to an empty tub of popcorn. After the initial "WTF?!" stage, we decided to bring it to the lost and found. Our manager didn't take kindly to that, and we just threw it in the dumpster immediately thereafter. Apparently, a woman came back the next day asking if we'd found a loose bra. Her story was that 'She was hot and it was really uncomfortable on her, so she took it off... and forgot about." Suuuure, lady.

We never had a ghost, though. That's nifty. I'd believe it. I want one!

Sewer_Bandito
2007-09-19, 02:30 PM
I need to learn to not read any post by VT when I'm home alone for an extended period of time. :smalleek:

Kaelaroth
2007-09-21, 12:56 PM
Mr. Tribble, with my most humble apologies, you have given me another reason never to go to America. :smalleek: I am terrible with paranormal McJazz. In my opinion, it is either a disgruntled ex-worker, sister's ex-BF/GF, or spirits. Coz, you know I'm not in the slightest sceptical. :smalleek:

*hides behind sofa*

*cries and cowers*

SurlySeraph
2007-09-21, 04:31 PM
One recently I was even a part of. Me and my sister are previewing a movie when suddenly we here this crash behind the screen. She flicks on the lights, goes and grabs a nice heavy broom for me, and a flashlight, and we inspect the place... nothing there. We finally settle back and I see what looks like someone crawling along the floor in the row behind me, turn around quick, nothing.

:smalleek: You know, I think Kaelaroth's got the right idea. *hides from Vorpal's family*

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-09-21, 09:00 PM
Hmm...

How is the tape situated relative to the film and projector when this happens? Has anyone thought to look for tape stuck to the film or projector ahead of time? Maybe somebody goes in and sticks tape on stuff so that it will get stuck as the film is run (i.e. it's not holding anything at first, but as the film feeds through the mechanism it eventually catches).
Oh, there is tape on the films normally. However, part of the process of putting the film to be watched is removal of said tape. My sister said she thought maybe she'd forgotten the first time, but after a dozen or so times and she making sure to throw it away... she began to get suspicious.

Mr. Tribble, with my most humble apologies, you have given me another reason never to go to America. I am terrible with paranormal McJazz. In my opinion, it is either a disgruntled ex-worker, sister's ex-BF/GF, or spirits. Coz, you know I'm not in the slightest sceptical.
Heh, ex-worker couldn't get in without the code (and again, it happens while the door is locked and closed and only she is there, and it is a big, open room she can easily see others in) and she's never had a BF (and NO, not a GF either).

BRC
2007-09-21, 09:04 PM
Vorpal, get off the forum before it gets haunted.
Oo

Foeofthelance
2007-09-21, 09:20 PM
Vorpal, where do you live again? I think I'd enjoy working at your sister's theatre...

Seriously, Friday the 13th has always been lucky for my clan. Might as well share in the arcane mojo.

Kaelaroth
2007-09-22, 02:07 AM
Vorpal, where do you live again? I think I'd enjoy working at your sister's theatre...

Seriously, Friday the 13th has always been lucky for my clan. Might as well share in the arcane mojo.

AAAH! Witch!

*runs for the hills*

Meanwhile Mr.Tribble, I concede to my most terrible conclusion... it's a nasty ghouly doin' it. And, according to fable, it will grow more strong as time goes by, so prepare yourself for a fight. By that I mean, that by all the terror you generate, i.e. from me, it will slowly manifest as an ultra-human corporeal being. So, I suggest you stay far, far, far away.

*hides behind sofa*

*cries and cowers*

Nerd-o-rama
2007-09-22, 11:21 AM
I'm still going with the secret entrance theory. Send in an elf to check.

The mildly hallucinogenic fumes theory someone suggested might also fit. Send in House's sidekicks to check.

zeratul
2007-10-08, 09:55 PM
Any news tribble? This was starting to get awesome, we need updates!

Raistlin1040
2007-10-08, 10:41 PM
Hmm. Interesting. I've always held a bit of intrest in the paranormal, and this definantly seems like a haunting or a seriously twisted prank. Judging by how often it's happened, and the other facts you've given us, I'd assume the former. Honestly, I don't know what to tell you. If it doesn't scare either of you, and no one's been hurt, I don't really see a problem. But if you are freaked out, I'd suggest her quitting. There must be enough jobs in your town that offer movie-theatre pay without freaky theatres. If I ever come to where you live, I'll stop by, and you can show me. I'm very interested, if slightly weirded out.

ray53208
2007-10-08, 11:26 PM
i like to think im a rational man. a fellow who holds a great deal of confidence in science, in reason... but ive encountered strange things. very strange things.

when i think hard about them, i get spooked. i make the attempt to comfort myself with the thought that perhaps, one day, there will be a rational explaination for it all. most of the time i just try not to think about what ive seen... or think ive seen.

1. my aunts house, guest bedrm in the back of the house, a place many people saw things, i was 21, getting ready to go out. there was a mirror over the dresser that faced the only entrance to the room from the main hallway. a friend was supposed to pick me up. as i was combing my hair i saw a sillouhette in the doorway reflected in the mirror. i thought it was my friend. i said to go wait in the car and id be out shortly. it just stood there. annoyed that i was being watched i repeated myself. it just stood there. finally i turned to face what i thought was my friend. as i turned i could see the sillouhette in the mirror from the corner of my eye. as i fully turned (a 180) to face the hallway, the doorway was empty. no one was standing there. no one was in the hallway. i asked my aunt if she had come back there. she was busy cooking. i asked if anyone had come into the house. no one had. 15 minutes late, my friend arrived. i asked if he had shown up earlier. he had been stuck in traffic.

2. my late 20s. brothers house. outside my neices bedroom. awoken by a noise at the window in the middle of the night. i get up and see, from an angle, something. ill say that it seemed to be an ashen gray skinned immaciated child. it had spindly hair, that was falling out, matted against its skin. needle-like snaggley teeth in a leer. huge, pitch black eyes that possessed an expression of hunger. when i moved out of bed in a start, it seemed to duck quickly out fo view. i ran out to the living room to see what was in the back yard. something was running away.

3. mexico city, near the federal museum, at the site of an excavation of a sacrificial site, i was 14 years old. i snuck in when the security gaurd took a break. as i progressed the light from the entrance grew fainter. there were no lights installed in the ruins. after a few turns down the stone corridors it was pitch black. suddenly, the temperature dropped sharply. the hair on my arms stood up. i could feel a sticky gunk on the walls. this felt like congealing blood. i thought it was all over my hands since i was using the walls to guide myself down the narrow corridor in the darkness. i felt a definite presence. a malevolent one. i became afraid and ran. i was in such a panick that i ran straight into a wall in the dark. in no time at all i shot out of the entrance and the gaurd who had returned from his break was startled and yelled at me as i ran away. when i stopped, i examined my hands. they were clean. no congealed blood.

well, im willing to believe that it was all in my head. in all honesty, i would find that greatly comforting.

Kaelaroth
2007-10-09, 12:05 PM
As with everyone else I would like an update on this news Mr. Tribble!

In fact, no I don't! Stay away! :smalleek:

*hides behind sofa*

*cries and cowers*

zeratul
2007-10-09, 03:23 PM
Ray that right there is really creepy. Dude, How do you sleep after crap like that happens?

ray53208
2007-10-09, 03:41 PM
Ray that right there is really creepy. Dude, How do you sleep after crap like that happens?

i try very very hard not to think about it. so, yeah, i do usually have trouble sleeping at night.