PDA

View Full Version : Mounted Combat things

Ryunosuke
2014-12-05, 12:35 PM
So I'm looking through my books and working on some mounted knights for the city guard and such and I'm getting a bit confused since I don't usually do mounted combat.

1) If a Lance can be held one handed on horseback and you count as being in the same space as the horse (or being in any square of your choice for the purpose of aoe castings and the like to choose a starting point), can it be used to strike adjacent enemies by choosing to be in the far side of the horse's space?

2) What about huge sized mounts or larger? (Anything unusual really)

3) Flying mounts? I assume a Dive (at least 10 feet descent, 30 feet of movement) counts as a charge for all intents and purposes?

4) Spirited charge feat, the Valorous weapon enchantment (costs a +1 bonus), and the Rhino's Rush lv 1 Paladin spell all raise the multiplier of mounted charge damage. Are there any other feats, spells or items that can further augment charging power or mounted combat in general?

5) Ashworm Dragoons (Sandstorm) gain the ability to use the ride-check-for-mount-AC ability an unlimited number of times per round, is there any other way to get this feature?

Ryunosuke
2014-12-08, 01:46 PM
Um...anyone...?

Douglas
2014-12-10, 02:10 AM
The Mod Radiant: Moved to D&D 3e/3.5e/d20

Khedrac
2014-12-10, 03:35 AM
1) If a Lance can be held one handed on horseback and you count as being in the same space as the horse (or being in any square of your choice for the purpose of aoe castings and the like to choose a starting point), can it be used to strike adjacent enemies by choosing to be in the far side of the horse's space?

Unfortunately no, attacking with the lance is not "for the purpose of aoe castings and the like" so at this point you count as the mount's space which means the lance does not threaten adjacent squares.

Gwendol
2014-12-10, 05:37 AM
So I'm looking through my books and working on some mounted knights for the city guard and such and I'm getting a bit confused since I don't usually do mounted combat.

2) What about huge sized mounts or larger? (Anything unusual really)

3) Flying mounts? I assume a Dive (at least 10 feet descent, 30 feet of movement) counts as a charge for all intents and purposes?

4) Spirited charge feat, the Valorous weapon enchantment (costs a +1 bonus), and the Rhino's Rush lv 1 Paladin spell all raise the multiplier of mounted charge damage. Are there any other feats, spells or items that can further augment charging power or mounted combat in general?

5) Ashworm Dragoons (Sandstorm) gain the ability to use the ride-check-for-mount-AC ability an unlimited number of times per round, is there any other way to get this feature?

1) Not really no, but on the other hand since mounted combat doesn't really work with the rules as written there is no strong reason not to allow it.

2) In relation to the above? The only thing I can think of is if the mount is very tall it can become a stretch to explain how to strike at ground targets.

3) Flying charges are fine, as long as they follow the general rules of a charge: straight line movement, nothing that breaks or slows down movement, etc.
Flying creatures can use the charge action. A flying charge must be in straight line and most cover at least 10 feet (2 squares). A flyer can charge while diving, but not while gaining more than 5 feet altitude (unless the flyer has perfect maneuverability and can climb without losing speed).

If a flyer makes a diving charge of at least 30 feet (6 squares) and also loses 10 feet of altitude or more, it can attack only with a claw or with a piercing or slashing weapon. These attacks, however, deal double damage."

4) See above. Also, gaining the Pounce ability which allows for a full attack on a charge. Shocktrooper allows for trading power attack for AC. Orc-blooded gives access to Headlong Rush. Really, just look up builds for Uber-Charger to get some inspiration.

5) Not sure, but there are quite a few other mounted combat PrC's out there, and presumably they would offer something similar.