PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Gestalt combination

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-05, 01:47 PM
Hello everyone. okay, I'm at my wits end the past two days i been trying to come up with a good gestalt. I have failed. (Duskblade/warmage) Nope!! Bard/Paladin, (cheesy). Wizard/ranger (maybe but not that appealing.) Unarmed swordsage/rogue (good, but unlikely to play) (I'm trying make an awesome gestalt, but i lack the skill too. i was wondering if any one else had a gestalt build in mind. all i really want is a very (fun/flavorful/maybe strong) gestalt that won't kill over after one hit.
so yeah, rules for the character. here are what i want

no factotum in it (Dm will make some of its class abilities weaker if i play one.)
Lv 1-8 (that's how long the campaign is)
Not worried about FULL casting (best CharacterLv 1-8 casting is fine though)
Has to be Good alignment (because i don't like evil and i actually find neutral boring)
Dragon magazine is not allowed and maybe TOB/TOM (all core, supplements are allowed)
i prefer not to be in more then two base classes at a time (three when i prestige)( maybe three base classes if one is a necessary dip.)
no variants that change alignment restrictions.
Keep it somewhat simple/nothing that is very debatable.

Yep, not much room to work with, but I'm a horrible Character builder and need assistance if anyone has the time. (help Me!!):smalleek:

Red Fel
2014-12-05, 02:12 PM
First off, looking at those combinations... Have you given much thought to synergies? Like, at all? Because those combinations may sound good in concept, but when you actually look at what you're getting...

Let me explain. Synergies cover a lot of factors, but you can generally break them down to a few key points: Ability Dependencies. Having two classes that key off of the same ability makes things a lot smoother. For example, Sorcerer//Paladins both key off of Cha, Wizard//Warblades both key off of Int. Some classes, such as Crusader or Warlock, don't really require substantial ability investment (although you might want to invest towards combat abilities if you're playing a melee role) and thus gestalt nicely with almost anything. Chassis. All classes give you a BAB and save progression. At each level of gestalt, you take whichever offers the better option. Thus, pairing a full-BAB class with one good save with a partial-BAB class with two good saves results in full BAB, and two (or maybe even three) good saves. Class features. You want class features that work well together. (See also Action Economy, below.) Some classes have class features which are in conflict, such as pairing a caster (subject to ASF) with a heavy-armor class. Others have features which are redundant or may not stack, such as pairing the Swordsage and Monk and their Wis-to-AC bonuses. Be aware when pairing classes that you may miss out on the benefits of gestalt if the two are too similar. Action Economy. People tend to talk about "active" and "passive" when discussing gestalt. That's not to say that one class is automatically "active" and the other "passive" (although some are really only good for one); rather, it's to say that you only have a certain number of actions during any given turn. You want to be able to maximize the use you get out of both classes, but you can really only do so if one class is giving you a passive benefit while the other performs actions during combat. For example, a Wizard/Warblade can use his Wizard buffs for a passive defense while using Warblade maneuvers actively, or can use his Warblade counters and stances to bolster his power while casting Wizard spells.

Now, let's look at one of your ideas, just to illustrate. The Duskblade//Warmage: Ability Dependencies: Duskblade is an Int-based spontaneous caster. Warmage is a Cha-based spontaneous caster. So you have to optimize both ability scores to max your casting. Plus, Duskblade is melee-oriented, which requires physical ability scores. Ouch. Chassis: Duskblade has full BAB, and good Fort and Will saves. Warmage has 1/2 BAB, with a good Will save. In short, Warmage adds absolutely nothing to the chassis. Class Features: Duskblade gets you armored casting and arcane channeling. Warmage gets you a bigger spell list, armored casting, Int bonus to damage spells (ew, MAD), and Sudden Metamagic. So, both are giving you armored casting, one is letting you do it through your weapon (but only for Duskblade spells), and the other is making you a better blaster. Action Economy: Duskblade basically casts a spell channeled into his weapon. That's the schtick. Warmage is an armored metamagic blaster-Sorc. That's the schtick. You're blasting or you're swinging. You could use Warmage spells to buff, of course, but that's the best you'll get.All in all, not the best use of gestalt.

I'd suggest taking a step back. Gestalt is a high-power game. You should have a fun concept, but you should also strive for one that works. Since you seem to like casters and melee, I'd suggest pairing a Crusader with a Cloistered Cleric. Both are powerful classes you can take from 1-20. Crusader is fairly NAD, just requiring your basic physical aptitudes to succeed; Cleric means you'll focus on Wisdom, then follow up with your physical stats. Crusader's massive BAB makes up for the loss from Cloistered Cleric, and between the two of them you get good Fort and Will saves. Cleric spells can buff you into a beast, and Crusader maneuvers can let you demolish things. What's more, the flavor works smoothly.

Zirconia
2014-12-05, 02:14 PM
If you want something basic, I've been fond of wizard/rogue for a long time. The nice features are that Int benefits both sides strongly, Dex is also handy for both, and you tend to have something to do both in combat (wizard crowd control, maybe a ray spell for sneak attack once in awhile) and out of combat with skills. Practically everything is a class skill. Especially in a 1-8 game you really cover the bases pretty well without needing to get complex about dipping into other classes which may alarm your DM, and there are lots of fairly long duration buffs you can cast as a Wizard to help with Rogue stuff.

I would not particularly suggest this if you are dying to get into melee, it starts getting MAD. It is more survivable if you stick to crowd control and ranged attacks. You could make a good case for Abrupt Jaunt specialization, since it can get you out of traps as well as attacks.

torrasque666
2014-12-05, 02:16 PM
Gestalt works nicely with Incarnum. Normally Incarnum is less than great on its own as its major shtick is swappable magic items. However, you can drop an incarnum class into one side of your build and just build the other side on its own. Incarnate is nice when paired with a full or 3/4 BAB class like Ranger or Rogue. It supplements their abilities nicely, and even in the case of Fighters can turn them into semi-skill-monkeys. Now place that on a regular skill-monkey like Rogue. You can move around your bonuses daily and several of them scale nicely.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-05, 02:24 PM
Can you explain what it is about bard//paladin that you find cheesy? The better we understand you thought processes the better we can help you make a character that will be a good fit.

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-05, 02:35 PM
Can you explain what it is about bard//paladin that you find cheesy? The better we understand you thought processes the better we can help you make a character that will be a good fit.

okay maybe not cheesy, but the whole taking a feat just so i can play both is kinda hard, but i guess for favor it's worth it, that and doesn't it need STR/INT/WIS/CHAR? isn't that MAD?

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-05, 02:43 PM
okay maybe not cheesy, but the whole taking a feat just so i can play both is kinda hard, but i guess for favor it's worth it, that and doesn't it need STR/INT/WIS/CHAR? isn't that MAD?

You're not really going to need Int. Bard gets loads of skill points and neither have any class features that demand it. With smite and the awesome feat snowflake wardance you can chop people up using you charisma.

Yes paladin casting uses wisdom but the spells you get are so minimal that you'll be ok with nothing more than a 12 in wis.

I happen to really love the idea of a bard, paladin mix. An errant knight should be able to write beautiful poetry.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-05, 02:52 PM
What about something like Binder 20//Mercury Dragon RHD 3/LA 2/Swordsage 15? You have a movement speed of 200 ft. and the ability to make an attack against everyone you pass. Plus lots of other passive abilities to back up your maneuvers.

SinsI
2014-12-05, 02:59 PM
Always liked Totemist/Druid combo, maybe switching Totemist for Warshaper after reaching BAB +4. Can be Neutral Good, don't have to worry about items or stats at all. Flavor-wise, you are extremely powerful Nature warrior.

Honjuden
2014-12-05, 03:03 PM
Druid//Psychic Warrior might be interesting for the level range you have in mind. Tons of self buffing plus wild shape.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 03:03 PM
If you were starting at a higher level, I'd recommend going Fighter//Wizard and be a polymorphing beatstick.

Maybe Sorcerer//Marshal?

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-05, 03:05 PM
Sorcerer//Succubus is a fun one. You get some SLAs (including the every handing Greater Teleport at will) along with a sizable boost to cha.

torrasque666
2014-12-05, 03:24 PM

that and not actually valid. Bards can't be lawful, as detail in the "Ex-Bards" section and the Alignment portion of the Game Rule Information section. Standard Paladins can't be non-Lawful Good. Thus, the two can't be combined.

Necroticplague
2014-12-05, 04:03 PM
LA1 (Divine minion) Fighter6/Warshaper1//Master of Many forms 8. Just turn into a bunch of different things, and then punch face. The speed at which you can change lets you adopt new forms easily if your old one becomes inconvenient. Alternatively, you could swap out some of the fighter levels for more Warshaper levels. Always fun to play a kinda trickster who changes their body so often, but who can competently frontline.

Note that its somewhat a matter of debate whether Divine Minion Qualifies for MoMF, so check with your DM first.

torrasque666
2014-12-05, 04:07 PM
LA1 (Divine minion) Fighter6/Warshaper1//Master of Many forms 8. Just turn into a bunch of different things, and then punch face. The speed at which you can change lets you adopt new forms easily if your old one becomes inconvenient. Alternatively, you could swap out some of the fighter levels for more Warshaper levels. Always fun to play a kinda trickster who changes their body so often, but who can competently frontline.

Note that its somewhat a matter of debate whether Divine Minion Qualifies for MoMF, so check with your DM first.

Its also unclear as to whether or not LA only applies to one side of the gestalt.

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-05, 04:08 PM
that and not actually valid. Bards can't be lawful, as detail in the "Ex-Bards" section and the Alignment portion of the Game Rule Information section. Standard Paladins can't be non-Lawful Good. Thus, the two can't be combined.

There's a feat who's name is escaping me that let's them be combined.

torrasque666
2014-12-05, 04:16 PM
There's a feat who's name is escaping me that let's them be combined.

devoted performer stacks smite evil and bardic performance, and lets you take bard levels with paladin and remain lawful, but if you stray from LG you still fall as normal.

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-05, 04:24 PM
You're not really going to need Int. Bard gets loads of skill points and neither have any class features that demand it. With smite and the awesome feat snowflake wardance you can chop people up using you charisma.

Yes paladin casting uses wisdom but the spells you get are so minimal that you'll be ok with nothing more than a 12 in wis.

I happen to really love the idea of a bard, paladin mix. An errant knight should be able to write beautiful poetry.

Hmmmm. it that case its starting to become more appealing, but I'll still have to take devoted performer (complete Adventure) . but it might be worth it. (Inspiring Hero) ooh!! perform weapons drill would also fit in with the build.(flavor)

But I'm also liking Red fel's idea about a Crusader/C cleric. if TOB is not allowed i definitely try Paladin/bard.

one thing i forgot to mention is that all Psionics classes are not allowed. (DM has no experience with TOB/TOM or Psionics characters. i might be able to play TOB/TOM character because he was slightly interested in them, but they haven't been confirmed.

Also would a Dragonborn Warforged be okay for the build? i know you take a hit to Cha which is important for high Lv spell casting. but I'll be at most a lv * character. if not it's okay, just thought the concept was cool.

edit: any alternative class abilities that might make a Paladin/bard better? I'm just not allowed Alternative base classes that change alignment requirements.

Necroticplague
2014-12-05, 04:31 PM
Its also unclear as to whether or not LA only applies to one side of the gestalt.

Technically, it doesn't. We talk about 'sides' because it's a convenient shorthand. Unfortunately, the actual rules are for the every character level, you gain two class levels. LA increases your ECL by one, essentially making your character level one higher. So technically, LA essentially takes up both sides. But honestly, saying it only takes up one is a houserule so common it practically seems to be the default.

Troacctid
2014-12-06, 03:12 AM
There's really no need to take Devoted Performer. You can just be a Paladin of Freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinofFreedomClassF eatures).

Trisha
2014-12-06, 04:25 AM
Maybe Sorcerer//Marshal?

I have always found marshal to be very enjoyable in either gestalting or multiclassing.

A bard/Marshal gestalt can be extremely fun if you like to play a face and or support role! See if your DM will let use song and silence (i think thats the name) from 3.0. you can have a lot of fun with flavor there. I've flavored it as perform oratory, and perform "Natural horn"

A Veteran commander takes the field, warhorn in hand, with each sounding his men are inspired to greater heights, for there has yet to be a foe they couldn't face together.

Mechanically, you wouldn't do too much hitting until you can get snowflake wardance, which will make you rather formidable. But with Words of creation, song of the heart, and inspirational boost, you can be adding +6 to hit and damage (or +8 if you can use the natural horn from song and silence at level 5)
also you can motivate dex, allowing you to be a mass improved initiative, as well as motivate charisma, which doubles your cha bonus for skill checks (great way to be a diplomancer)
as well as provide a host of other bonuses.

the grant move action to allies is nice as well, and if you are feeling very brave on the martial side, pick up snowflake wardance, and dip a level of warblade if ToB is allowed, get White raven tactics and and command the unit, allowing you to give an "extra turn", along with the move action you were providing, (they will love you for this) :)

it has a lot you can do in those low levels. best of all since you are providing bonuses to everyone no one feels overshadowed in combat, but you can still shine when it comes to social encounters. and best of all since cha can literally be sent to almost any bonus type, you only need to worry about 1 attribute, making it perfectly functional in low pointbuy settings. <3

Manly Man
2014-12-06, 04:36 AM
Psychic Warrior//Swordsage is one of my favorites. Pretty high Wisdom focus, definitely, but with all the extra feats, as well as powers and whatnot, abuse of the action economy is incredibly easy. With all of the strikes as well, you get to prove that a full BAB is hardly necessary to be a main meleer; combining things like using Psicrystal Affinity+Psicrystal Containment so that you can have your psicrystal get a psionic focus for you to use so that you can unleash Hell by using (Greater) Psionic Weapon with Deep Impact while using Ruby/Diamond Nightmare Blade is both awesome as all get-out, and very fitting in terms of fluff, what with how you use your mind to fight with the Diamond Mind maneuvers.

Kane0
2014-12-06, 04:58 AM
My favourite is Warlock//Hexblade.

Its certainly not the most powerful, but they work reasonably well together and absolutely drip thematic appeal together, especially if you mix in Hellbred as your race.

With this you get full BAB, d10 HP, good Fort and Will, Cha synergy (although strictly speaking you dont need more than 14 if you want to focus on physical stats) and your tricks compliment each other reasonably well.
Throw in eldritch glaive for more of a melee presence or rely on your curse to make your modified blasts significantly harder to resist. You can go into Hellfire Warlock (with a level in binder on either side) and even go into other warlock or warrior based prestige classes if any take your fancy (enlightened spirit works well in gestalt if you can fit it in).

Alternatively Warlock//Swift Hunter has its merits, though you miss out on magic with that.

I'd also second the Wizard//Rogue and Crusader//Cleric suggestions.

Petrocorus
2014-12-06, 09:33 AM

The Paladin spellcasting is not really going to be relevant at lvl 8. Drop the Pally spells with the Holy Warrior ACF from CC for bonus feats, or with another ACF. The Bard spell casting has enough buff. So you don't need that much Wis.

Honestly, the level 5 to 8 of Paladin are not that useful, unless you really want the mount. So, going Paladin 4 / Marshall 4 on this side of the build could be really nice. Even Paladin 2 / Marshall 6 can be better if you don't plan to use Turn Undead for fuelling something.
Of course, the Mount remain one of the two best class features of the Pally.

Note that the combo Bard // Paladin gives an almost perfect chassis with Full BAB, 3 good saves, 6 skill points per level, D10 HD.
The Marshall gives only Mid BAB and D8 HD.
With Divine Grace, your saves could be Huge.

So do i, i love Bardadin of Freedom.

I have always found marshal to be very enjoyable in either gestalting or multiclassing.

A bard/Marshal gestalt can be extremely fun if you like to play a face and or support role! See if your DM will let use song and silence (i think thats the name) from 3.0. you can have a lot of fun with flavor there. I've flavored it as perform oratory, and perform "Natural horn"

~~ Good Stuffs Snipped~~

Are you speaking of this (http://9gag.com/gag/aEGDZpn).

Jackofalltrades
2014-12-06, 10:29 AM
The Paladin spellcasting is not really going to be relevant at lvl 8. Drop the Pally spells with the Holy Warrior ACF from CC for bonus feats, or with another ACF. The Bard spell casting has enough buff. So you don't need that much Wis.

Honestly, the level 5 to 8 of Paladin are not that useful, unless you really want the mount. So, going Paladin 4 / Marshall 4 on this side of the build could be really nice. Even Paladin 2 / Marshall 6 can be better if you don't plan to use Turn Undead for fuelling something.
Of course, the Mount remain one of the two best class features of the Pally.

Note that the combo Bard // Paladin gives an almost perfect chassis with Full BAB, 3 good saves, 6 skill points per level, D10 HD.
The Marshall gives only Mid BAB and D8 HD.
With Divine Grace, your saves could be Huge.

So do i, i love Bardadin of Freedom.

Are you speaking of this (http://9gag.com/gag/aEGDZpn).

Yeah Paladin of Freedom would be nice but i Can't Play Variant class's that change Alignment requirement. I'' Think I'll give Paladin/Bard a chance, i like the idea of the build, makes me think of les miserables's Javert for some reason.:smallbiggrin: though if TOB is allowed i might play a Crusader/bard because i can then be neutral Good and don't need Devoted performer.
Human would be nice as a race for the build. but then Warforged Dragonborn getsso much stuff it seems to make that one human feat look worthless, and the hit to CHA can be fix either with Magic blooded Template or Nymphs kiss feat>(also gets one skill point per lv)

Jeff the Green
2014-12-06, 12:13 PM

A Veteran commander takes the field, warhorn in hand, with each sounding his men are inspired to greater heights, for there has yet to be a foe they couldn't face together.

Mechanically, you wouldn't do too much hitting until you can get snowflake wardance, which will make you rather formidable. But with Words of creation, song of the heart, and inspirational boost, you can be adding +6 to hit and damage (or +8 if you can use the natural horn from song and silence at level 5)
also you can motivate dex, allowing you to be a mass improved initiative, as well as motivate charisma, which doubles your cha bonus for skill checks (great way to be a diplomancer)
as well as provide a host of other bonuses.

Marshal's very nice in gestalt, but I'd generally avoid more than three levels. That way you've got two minor auras (usually Motivate Dexterity and Motivate Charisma, though Motivate Intelligence is nice too) but can then enter a class that has more to offer.

You could always dip like mad, picking up Battle Dancer's Charisma to AC here, Paladin's Charisma to saves there, and just generally being able to ignore any stat that isn't Charisma or Constitution.

Petrocorus
2014-12-06, 12:31 PM
Yeah Paladin of Freedom would be nice but i Can't Play Variant class's that change Alignment requirement. I'' Think I'll give Paladin/Bard a chance, i like the idea of the build, makes me think of les miserables's Javert for some reason.:smallbiggrin: though if TOB is allowed i might play a Crusader/bard because i can then be neutral Good and don't need Devoted performer.

No, Crusader cannot be NG. They must have an "extreme" alignment. (LG, CG, LE, CE). You can be CG however without any variant.

If you want a NG Paladin, i have one in my sig. Obviously without any Paladin level.

On an unrelated note, i really considered Javert as LN.

Human would be nice as a race for the build. but then Warforged Dragonborn getsso much stuff it seems to make that one human feat look worthless, and the hit to CHA can be fix either with Magic blooded Template or Nymphs kiss feat>(also gets one skill point per lv)
Haven't you said templates stacking was forbidden on your table?

You could always dip like mad, picking up Battle Dancer's Charisma to AC here, Paladin's Charisma to saves there, and just generally being able to ignore any stat that isn't Charisma or Constitution.
Sadly work only unarmored. Maybe a custom Battle Dancer's Belt for when you cannot wear armour.

Manly Man
2014-12-06, 12:36 PM
No, Crusader cannot be NG. They must have an "extreme" alignment. (LG, CG, LE, CE). You can be CG however without any variant.

If you want a NG Paladin, i have one in my sig. Obviously without any Paladin level.

Wrong, they have the same alignment restrictions as a Cleric. The only alignment they cannot be is True Neutral, although unlike Clerics, they don't get to be True Neutral ever, even if their deity is.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-06, 12:39 PM

No, you cannot be neutral, which in this case means "true neutral":

A crusader can choose any alignment except neutral—she must stand for some ideal, whether chaos, good, evil, law, or a combination of principles.

Sadly work only unarmored. Maybe a custom Battle Dancer's Belt for when you cannot wear armour.

Well, yes, but it's trivial to get Charisma + Dexterity (+Wisdom with a monk's belt) above Dexterity + chain shirt/mythril breastplate. Particularly if you're okay with a magicblooded unseelie fey*, which would actually fit such a character quite well.

*Note, this can be very cheesy, but it can be considerably less. Get no wings, no special vision (you'll have low-light from being a fey anyway), and the dispel magic season power.

Petrocorus
2014-12-06, 12:47 PM
No, you cannot be neutral, which in this case means "true neutral":

Oh my... I have apparently been misreading this for a long time.

Well, yes, but it's trivial to get Charisma + Dexterity (+Wisdom with a monk's belt) above Dexterity + chain shirt/mythril breastplate. Particularly if you're okay with a magicblooded unseelie fey*, which would actually fit such a character quite well.

Dex + Cha can easily be above Dex + Breastplate. But a breastplate can bear enhancement bonus and other armor properties. You can put that on a vest or something else, but this may be harder to find.

I'm not sure, but IIRC, unseelie fey is DragMag isn't it?

(Un)Inspired
2014-12-06, 12:51 PM
Oh my... I have apparently been misreading this for a long time.

Dex + Cha can easily be above Dex + Breastplate. But a breastplate can bear enhancement bonus and other armor properties. You can put that on a vest or something else, but this may be harder to find.

Yeah but with dex+cha you can also stack on bracers of armor for a pretty nice AC.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-06, 01:51 PM

Not a vest (that's the torso slot for things like a vest of resistance), but robes or something like that works

It was updated in the Dragon Compendium. That may or may not make a difference; I'm more inclined to allow stuff from that than the magazines if only because I have easier access to it.

Trisha
2014-12-06, 02:13 PM
Marshal's very nice in gestalt, but I'd generally avoid more than three levels. That way you've got two minor auras (usually Motivate Dexterity and Motivate Charisma, though Motivate Intelligence is nice too) but can then enter a class that has more to offer.

Oh definitely, i am all for multiclassing out the wazoo!
I thought i read somewhere that he didn't want to do more than two bases, and a prestige.

Typically when i use a non gestalt build including it, i end up with levels in warblade (love WRT), bard, paladin, marshal, sometimes dragon shaman (aura stacking can be fun), and i forget the couple prestige classes i dipped into. (i think one of them was dependant on leadership).

evils's blessing, is also a great feat to have (typically most DM's say you can't stack profane with certain things)

Even in pathfinder i still have the habit of multiclassing, no capstones for me :(

Jeff the Green
2014-12-06, 03:21 PM
Oh definitely, i am all for multiclassing out the wazoo!
I thought i read somewhere that he didn't want to do more than two bases, and a prestige.

Typically when i use a non gestalt build including it, i end up with levels in warblade (love WRT), bard, paladin, marshal, sometimes dragon shaman (aura stacking can be fun), and i forget the couple prestige classes i dipped into. (i think one of them was dependant on leadership).

evils's blessing, is also a great feat to have (typically most DM's say you can't stack profane with certain things)

Even in pathfinder i still have the habit of multiclassing, no capstones for me :(

Other good dips are cloistered cleric (free devotion feats, turning to empower them, 6 skill points), warlock (see invisibility, +6 to social skills, Charisma to one save that's switchable as a standard action, darkness to fuel Blend Into Shadows; all at will), dragonfire adept (see invisibility, +6 to social skills, +6 to Knowledges and use them untrained, identify; also all at will), archivist (Scribe Scroll and can use any divine wand), incarnate (use any soulmeld on their list), binder (Naberius and Malphas are awesome), and fighter (there are some good fighter feats and the chassis is nice when paired with bard).

aleucard
2014-12-06, 03:37 PM
One potentially fun idea would be Dragonfire Adept//just about anything that isn't primarily a blaster. The DFA has very little that requires him to even remember the existence of any attribute besides Constitution, and that's a good thing to boost for basically everything anyway. Going for a martial or other class you won't regret not progressing on the other side so you can take Fist of the Forest (CChamp) adds some synergy, too (though that loses you access to armor and requires you to do some fiddling to get safe hand/feet items).

Bob of Mage
2014-12-06, 10:45 PM
A Geomancer might be an option. It's a bit cheesy, but you can start taking Geomancer levels by 4th level with a gestalt. Then you have a PC in armour (up to fullplate for Cleric Geos), or Wildshape, fireing off wizard spells with no issue.

The point of the Geomancer class was to mix two spellcaster classes, and with a gestalt it does it great job. Only downside is that you'll have two animals following you everywhere.