PDA

View Full Version : non-standard skills

djwood
2014-12-05, 02:13 PM
So I was just wondering what skills exist or uses for skills exist that aren't right there in the PHB that are especially useful...

like is there a skill to determine how tough a creature is ?

djwood
2014-12-05, 02:15 PM
So I was just wondering what skills exist or uses for skills exist that aren't right there in the PHB that are especially useful...

like is there a skill to determine how tough a creature is ?[/QUOTE]

Lightlawbliss
2014-12-05, 02:20 PM
(you double posted)
The Rules Compendiums has some useful skill checks not in the PHB

How tough a creature is is typically a use of the knowledge skill.

Jeff the Green
2014-12-05, 02:27 PM
There's Autohypnosis in XPH, which lets you memorize anything. Races of Stone lets you hide the fact you're casting with a Sleight of Hand check—obviating the skill trick Conceal Spellcasting except that the latter prevents AoOs while the normal use doesn't explicitly. Also in RoS, Craft skills for writing, research, and music composition.

Urpriest
2014-12-05, 02:35 PM
Oriental Adventures lets you use Sense Motive to find a creature's level and total attack and damage bonus with their primary weapon. It's arguably only usable by samurai in duels though.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 02:47 PM
Complete Adventurer also adds a use of Sense Motive that gives a general sense of an opponent's CR compared to your level. It's opposed by a bluff check, so you should be able to get a read of most monsters and NPCs (except for infiltrator/spy or social types). There's also a feat (Combat Intuition) that gives you a bonus on Sense Motive checks for this purpose, improves the accuracy of your intuitions, and lets you do it as a free action.

The Viscount
2014-12-05, 07:56 PM
Intimidate's function in ToB is a little staredown for bonuses based on who wins and how.

Obligatory mention of OA's Iajutsu focus.

SiuiS
2014-12-06, 03:27 AM

like is there a skill to determine how tough a creature is ?

Intimidate's function in ToB is a little staredown for bonuses based on who wins and how.

Obligatory mention of OA's Iajutsu focus.

Both those exist in standard D&D. Sense motive allows you to get a feel on whether the enemy is a wuss, a pushover, an even match, a tough fight, or YIKES!, each being within four hit dice of base level (8 or less from you, wuss, 8+ above, YIKES!, etc). Intimidate for staredown is also a default use of the skill as of rules compendium.

The specific use in oriental adventures is usable in an iajutsu duel, but not limited to the samurai class. Anyone in a duel (and possibly out of one) can do it.

Perform can operate like diplomacy to change someone's mood. Survival predicts the weather (effectively creating it if the DM didn't have any planned). That's all I've got.

sleepyphoenixx
2014-12-06, 04:08 AM
Oriental Adventures also has the rule for moving 10ft as a 5ft step with a DC40 tumble check.

sideswipe
2014-12-06, 07:52 PM
i believe rule compendium or one of the completes introduced using hide to blend into a crowd and pretend to be with them. it seems like a basic use but is not defined till then.

djwood
2014-12-09, 02:49 PM
i believe rule compendium or one of the completes introduced using hide to blend into a crowd and pretend to be with them. it seems like a basic use but is not defined till then.

thank you friends!