PDA

View Full Version : Another spell combo

.Zero
2014-12-05, 02:50 PM
This is a trick i never read anywhere. This fact should let me think about it, but i'll try however...

"The same bonus from the same source never stack"

I know.

But maybe i found a way to raise your caster level to an almost arbitrarily high value, simply by casting two spells in succession again and again.
Let's see how does this work and if it works.

The spells are Consumptive Field, a 4th level cleric spell and Greater Consumptive Field, a 7th level one. This are the spells text:

Consumptive Field
(Spell Compendium, p. 51)

Necromancy [Death, Evil]
Level: Cleric 4
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action Range: 30 ft.
Area: 30-ft.-radius emanation centered on you
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

Sweeping your arm about and clutching it to your chest, you draw the last breaths of fallen foes from their choking mouths and inhale them to fuel your own power.

All creatures in the area with fewer than 0 hit points that fail their saving throws die, and you gain 1d8 temporary hit points and a +2 bonus to Strength for each death caused by this spell and until the spell's duration expires.

Additionally, your effective caster level increases by one per death caused by this spell, to a maximum increase of half your original caster level, improving spell effects that are dependent on caster level. (This increase in effective caster level does not grant you access to more spells, and it does not increase the duration of this spell.)

Creatures that fall to —1 hit points or lower in the area after the spell is cast are likewise subject to its effect.

No creature can be affected by this spell more than once per casting, regardless of the number of times that the area of the spell passes over them.

Consumptive Field, Greater
(Spell Compendium, p. 51)

Necromancy [Death, Evil]
Level: Cleric 7
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 30 ft.
Area: 30-ft.-radius emanation centered on you
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Will negates Spell
Resistance: Yes

This spell functions like consumptive field, except that the field affects all creatures in the area with 9 hit points or fewer. Such creatures that fail their saving throws die, and creatures that fall to 9 hit points or lower in the area after the spell is cast are likewise subject to its effect.

So your caster level before casting CF is 20. You cast it and kill ten creatures, bringing you cl to 30, gaining a +10 untyped to cl, a cumulative untyped +2 to strength per creature killed, so a total of +20 untyped to Str (which is worth noting, is in no way dependant on your cl bonus. I mean, the spell caps your caster level bonus to a maximum of +1/2 "original" caster level, but if you keep killing things, you'll get higher and higher Str at your pleasure), and a total of 10d8 temporary hit points. That's a lot of stuff, but let's forget about Str and hit points right now.

Now you cast GCF. And this is the first tricky part. The two spells provide the same untyped bonus to cl and Str, but it doesn't contradict this post's premise. It's the same bonus (untyped bonus), but it comes from different sources, so the two spell effects *are* stackable.

At this point your "original" caster level is 30, so GCF may let you raise it to 45, cool! What now? You cast CF again. The spell now checks your "original" caster level and sees that's 45, so it will give you a max of +22 to cl. But... we are now in "the same bonus from same source" territory, so your cl won't exceptionally be raised to 67, because there's still the bonus gained from your previos CF casting, which is +10. The cool part is that your last casting of CF gave you a greater bonus, so it takes precedence over the first one, netting you a +12 cl increase, resulting in a new cl of 57.

Now you cast GCF again with an "original cl" of 57. Can you see it? Yes, each alternate casting of these spells net a big boost to cl wich is always a positive number. At this point with a new GFC casting, you'll have a net cl increase of +11 (that is +28 -15, because your previous casting of GCF gave you a +15 bonus).

Practically you need to keep tracking of each spell bonus and to subtract it from the bonus gained from the last casting of the same spell. The cool part is that the bonus gained from a CF casting overlaps only the bonus gained from the last CF casting, treating the bonus gained from a GCF casting just as if it is part of your original caster level. And this happens because of two things: the first one is that both spells give an untyped bonus, and the second one is that this bonus comes from different sources so it is stackable and abusable. And you don't even need to bother about duration. If you're a persistomancer you only need to persist the last two castings and you're done.

This is how you rise your cl:

cl20 + CF = 20 + 10 = 30, +10
cl30 + GCF = 30 + 15 = 45, +15
cl45 + CF = 45 + 22 - 10 = 57, +12
cl57 + GCF = 57 + 28 - 15 = 70, + 13
cl70 + CF = 70 + 35 - 22 = 83, +13
cl83 + GCF = 83 + 41 - 28 = 96, +13

And so on ad nauseam. Add a way to get infinite spells per day and you'll get an infinite caster level, or just raise it to 1440, which is the number that lets 1 round/level spells last 24hours.

Obviously I'm not claiming any sane DM will let this fly at the 99,9% of the tables, so don't bother about this thing. Granted this sh.it works.

If this trick works i'll post a way to constantly feed the two consumptive fields' areas, so everything i need to know now is:

Given i find a way to feed the two overlapping fields separately and without any interferences, should this trick work?

Xerlith
2014-12-05, 03:48 PM
Given i find a way to feed the two overlapping fields separately and without any interferences, should this trick work?

Two words: Chicken. Infected.

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 03:59 PM

It's wonderful how often this seemingly-innocent flaw shows up in TO.

Venger
2014-12-05, 04:08 PM

it's "infested"

there was a really great comic depicting someone who is chicken-infested challenging someone to a duel, killing them and boosting his str to an arbitrary level and destroying the oerth while yelling "falcon pawnch"

my googling is unable to find it. does anyone have a link?

this is a well-known optimization trick. as mentioned, the customary solution is infinite chickens.

Yomega
2014-12-05, 04:41 PM
May Chuck Norris and Pun Pun smile down upon you.

http://i.imgur.com/9GF84Fq.jpg

Venger
2014-12-05, 06:00 PM
just what I was thinking of. thank you.

.Zero
2014-12-06, 04:12 PM
So are you telling me that this trick works? And why i never heard of it anywhere? I mean, it seems odd to me that i "discovered" a new trick and that this trick straightforwardly functions without no one arguing about its legality.

If you confirm that it works, i'll post my way to feed the fields that doesn't rely on dragon magazine.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-06, 04:18 PM
You could only do this twice. If your CL is 20, then you use GCF, it goes to 30. Then CF goes to 45. If you recast GCF you still have a +10 bonus to caster level from GCF so the new cast would not left you go any higher since they are a bonus from the same source.
Edit: I see where you are going with this. You would also have to hash out what the mean by "original" caster level. That phrasing does not really appear much in DnD, so the fact that both spells use the same language means it could be argued that they are looking at the same number.

Xerlith
2014-12-06, 04:31 PM
You could only do this twice. If your CL is 20, then you use GCF, it goes to 30. Then CF goes to 45. If you recast GCF you still have a +10 bonus to caster level from GCF so the new cast would not left you go any higher since they are a bonus from the same source.
Edit: I see where you are going with this. You would also have to hash out what the mean by "original" caster level. That phrasing does not really appear much in DnD, so the fact that both spells use the same language means it could be argued that they are looking at the same number.

Same source, yes, but as it is keyed off a higher CL, it allows for a higher cap. That's the point of this loop. It works.

A_S
2014-12-06, 04:35 PM
So are you telling me that this trick works? And why i never heard of it anywhere? I mean, it seems odd to me that i "discovered" a new trick and that this trick straightforwardly functions without no one arguing about its legality.

If you confirm that it works, i'll post my way to feed the fields that doesn't rely on dragon magazine.
I believe it does work, as long as you interpret "original caster level" to mean "your caster level before you cast this spell." That's a touch shaky, but it's the best interpretation I can come up with.

It's not new, though; I've been hearing about it in discussions of CL-increasing for as long as I've been here. Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17668539&postcount=3) I am mentioning it six months ago.