PDA

View Full Version : 5e Flail Master/Shock Trooper feat

bloodshed343
2014-12-05, 03:02 PM
-Your damage die with a flail increases to 2d4
-Once per turn, when you hit an enemy with an attack using a flail, make an athletics check opposed by the enemie's athletics or acrobatics check. On a success, you knock the enemy prone. On a failure, you may not make any more attacks this turn.
-When attacking a prone, immobilized, or restrained target, you may take a -2 penalty to your attack roll in exchange for a +4 bonus to damage rolls.

Leuku
2014-12-10, 12:54 AM
Not bad, not bad.

On the proning part, I would get rid of the "can't make more attacks" and just make it cost a bonus action. That way it's only once per turn and the only gamble is the athletics check. Also you should not be able to prone creatures two category sizes larger or more than yourself.

About the -2 penalty thing, I think the game designers' decision to make virtually no explicit mention of fixed number penalties and bonuses except in the form of multiples of 5 is intentional. Multiples of 5 are easy to add and subtract and are significant enough that you won't ever forget that you have such a significant bonus/penalty.

Instead of that third feature, why not something related to Fear? You are wielding a scary flail and being a "shocktrooper" and all.

Something like: While wielding a flail, you can spend an action to try and instill fear in your enemies. Any number of enemies within 20 feet of you that can see and hear you make a Charisma saving throw against 10 + your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier. On a fail, the creature is frightened, and does the things frightened creatures do, with additional saving throws made at the normally appropriate intervals. On a success, the creature can no longer suffer the effects of your fear attack for the next 24 hours.

bloodshed343
2014-12-10, 03:10 PM
Not bad, not bad.

On the proning part, I would get rid of the "can't make more attacks" and just make it cost a bonus action. That way it's only once per turn and the only gamble is the athletics check. Also you should not be able to prone creatures two category sizes larger or more than yourself.

About the -2 penalty thing, I think the game designers' decision to make virtually no explicit mention of fixed number penalties and bonuses except in the form of multiples of 5 is intentional. Multiples of 5 are easy to add and subtract and are significant enough that you won't ever forget that you have such a significant bonus/penalty.

Instead of that third feature, why not something related to Fear? You are wielding a scary flail and being a "shocktrooper" and all.

Something like: While wielding a flail, you can spend an action to try and instill fear in your enemies. Any number of enemies within 20 feet of you that can see and hear you make a Charisma saving throw against 10 + your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier. On a fail, the creature is frightened, and does the things frightened creatures do, with additional saving throws made at the normally appropriate intervals. On a success, the creature can no longer suffer the effects of your fear attack for the next 24 hours.

I forgot about this thread. I rewrote flail master in another thread:

Flail Master:
-When you hit with an attack using a flail, triple-headed flail, scourge, whip, or spiked chain, you may attempt to trip or disarm the enemy hit as a bonus action.
-When you hit with an attack using a flail, triple-headed flail, scourge, whip, or spiked chain, you may use a bonus action to pull the enemy within 5 feet of you and attempt to grapple it.
-The first time you miss with an attack using a flail, triple-headed flail, scourge, whip, or spiked chain, you may roll the attack again against a different enemy within 5 feet of the first, dealing half damage on a hit

Leuku
2014-12-10, 04:51 PM
Looks good.