PDA

View Full Version : Skill Contests!

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-05, 03:27 PM
Skill Contest: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386915-Skill-Contests-Tome-of-Contests&p=18492807#post18492807

So I'm going to start a pretty hefty project and put some other stuff on hold based around a couple ideas.

1: Skill Contests can be awesome

2: Skill contests in the PHB is two paragraphs when it should be as extensive as the spell lists. Skill contests are so vague and general that no one can really use them without DM fiat.

3: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?386667-Thrown-Weapon-Master-(Feats)&p=18485097#post18485097

Taking what has been made in that thread, getting rid of the feats, and making a ton of abilities based around each skill we should be able yo have a bit of awesome.

I'm horrible at naming things, I could use some help with it. So far the initial name is "Tome if Contests" but I'm not 100% sold on it.

The actual homebrew will be in the honbrew section, however if anyone has any advice or suggestions for a name to give to this project I'll appreciate it.

Some questions.

I don't want people crying about it feeling like magic due to having level requirements (see ToB) so what I'm going to do is have each skill have a set of contests you can perform with them that anyone can use. If you have proficiency in the skill you gain an additional benefit.

Spellcasting will hinder your ability to learn and use skill contests due to the training and time you must out into your spell casting. Just as using skill contests takes practice a d hinder your ability to cast spells. Bards must recite poetry or long, clerics and druids must pray, wizards must continually learn, aorcerer must practice, and warlocks must appease their patron. Any full caster just doesn't have the time in the day to learn these skill contests.

Half, partial, and non-casters have the time and resources to out into learning and using these abilities.

So any questions or concerns as I get started?

And no, I don't care about magic being a special little snowflake, this is a fantasy setting and I'll be damn if everyone at my table won't have the options to allow their character to be the fantasy and not just the world around them.

:smallsmile:

pwykersotz
2014-12-06, 03:46 AM
One question. Does the Sleight of Hand ability remind anyone of Locke from FF6? :smallwink:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-12-07, 02:56 AM
One question. Does the Sleight of Hand ability remind anyone of Locke from FF6? :smallwink:

Well, step in the right direction then!

I was thinking Gamers "I steal his pants", but Locke works just as well!