PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Noble Feats for An Ignoble Fellow?

Palanan
2014-12-05, 03:47 PM
I have a disgraced and dispossessed nobleman who, despite his recent misfortunes, still has the benefits of a privileged youth to fall back on.

The question is, what feats would be useful to represent his background? I'm looking for flavor and basic utility--anything that would give him a few perks from having been raised in a posh climate of wealth and sophistication.

Education is obvious, but what else would work here?

Extra Anchovies
2014-12-05, 03:57 PM
Mercantile Background regional feat? It's basically all about the money. Also lets you get to the Handle Animal shenanigans earlier.

The Viscount
2014-12-05, 08:19 PM
Wild Cohort could easily be treated as an exotic tamed animal you had from youth. If Human, Able Learner could show a dilettante's education and ability to vary well.

mabriss lethe
2014-12-05, 08:50 PM
Depending on how ruthless the nobles in his neck of the woods are, how about Master of Poisons?

Marlowe
2014-12-05, 11:31 PM
Mercantile Background regional feat? It's basically all about the money. Also lets you get to the Handle Animal shenanigans earlier.

Culture variance notwithstanding; a True Noble would never sully his hands with anything as plebian as commerce.

True Nobles take all that's offered them as their due, charge outrageous rents on their land, and whore off their daughters to rich parvenu instead.

ZamielVanWeber
2014-12-05, 11:34 PM
Culture variance notwithstanding; a True Noble would never sully his hands with anything as plebian as commerce.

Not sure why this is blue. The nobility not engaging in trade was not uncommon in both global societies and often resulted in the lower classes being richer than the upper.

3.0 Cosmopolitan let's you grab any skill as a class skill and is great for showing off "exclusive tutoring." You would need to house rule it since it was reprinted in 3.5 as just a +2 to three skills.

Marlowe
2014-12-05, 11:38 PM
It's blue because it's a sweeping generalisation encompassing all real and fictional cultures, and I didn't want some expert on the social history of 15th century Flanders or whatever jumping out of the woodwork and listing exceptions.:smallwink:

Serious answer to the question: Daunting Presence, Force of Personality, Imperious Command when you can get it.

The essence of the true Noble is to be able to make things happen your way by applying the power of complete and utter arrogance. Actual skills beyond Ride and the social stuff are for the lower orders.

Thrice Dead Cat
2014-12-06, 12:32 AM
The essence of the true Noble is to be able to make things happen your way by applying the power of complete and utter arrogance. Actual skills beyond Ride and the social stuff are for the lower orders.

I'd also add some of the knowledge skills here, too! At least history and nobility and royalty, maybe religion or architecture and engineering, too.

I'm a fan of wild cohort and basically all of Marlowe's list. If you do take wild cohort, make sure you get an ocelot and call him "buyer's remorse."

I'm AFB, but looking to Player's Guide to Faerun should also get whatever the one feat is that gives you a spellbook and very limited casting. He could be a washed up, failure of a wizard who never could get beyond the basics in that case. Also ties well with the ocelot being his familiar, if you do both. :smallbiggrin: